• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any free roller coaster experiences for CV1 yet? I have No Limits 2 but its the paid version from the website and not the Steam version, so I can't get access to the CV1 beta version. :(

Darkdeus

Assetto Corsa with the rift is amazing!!! Feels and looks much better than Project Cars to me.

Try this tip to greatly increase the clarity though: Use the Debug Tool from the Oculus SDK to increase the render resolution. Download the SDK, run the debug tool and
type "1.5" at "pixel override" and hit enter. Then select the game .exe and launch from the debug tool. In game, turn the post processing and AA off.

Has anyone tried this with other rift games yet?

I've only had a chance to test it with Assetto Corsa but it helps a ton.

robotrock

Banned
I'm trying to use SteamVR with my Rift, and I'm running the Portal tutorial, but what is the "System Button" on the Xbox One controller? Pressing the Xbox button just opens the Oculus Home menu. I've read online that the Back button should function as the SteamVR System Button, but that doesn't work.

It's what the select button on the PS3/Xbox 360 controller was

Anyone else have to pull the rift down where it's nearly pinching your nose to get the sweet spot?

What slider position is everyone using? I have mine at 71mm all the way to the right.

Rift is acceptable for objects up close, but distant objects in the background have that horrible fresnel patten ( like SDE) making it difficult to make out details.

Anyone else have to pull the rift down where it's nearly pinching your nose to get the sweet spot?

What slider position is everyone using? I have mine at 71mm all the way to the right.

Rift is acceptable for objects up close, but distant objects in the background have that horrible fresnel patten ( like SDE) making it difficult to make out details.

Mines all the way to the left (59).

I also don't have to pull it down to pinch my nose like that. The back kind of 'hooks' onto that roundy part of the back of your head and I tilt the rift until I get the sweet spot. Although haven't done it in a couple days. Since I haven't demo'd it, I don't have to adjust it at all, just slip it on.

I think the close up objects look awesome, even the distant ones I'd expect this level of detail with the type screen. The UE4 demo still blows my mind with how much detail you see everywhere. I watch the Dreamdeck Dinosaur thing almost every time I play the Rift.

I don't know, "acceptable" and "horrible" seem pretty weird descriptors for where this tech is right now. It still amazes me when I'm playing. I spent a fair amount of time in my DK2 with experiences and games ... but man, Chronos (if it wouldn't stop crashing every 10 minutes!!) or Luckey's Tale is just crazy to think I'm going to start seeing games like these regularly.

And then Touch will launch and it will be another paradigm shift!

Assetto Corsa with the rift is amazing!!! Feels and looks much better than Project Cars to me.

Try this tip to greatly increase the clarity though: Use the Debug Tool from the Oculus SDK to increase the render resolution. Download the SDK, run the debug tool and
type "1.5" at "pixel override" and hit enter. Then select the game .exe and launch from the debug tool. In game, turn the post processing and AA off.

Has anyone tried this with other rift games yet?

I've only had a chance to test it with Assetto Corsa but it helps a ton.

Nice tip. I'll certainly be giving that a go tomorrow.

Mines all the way to the left (59).

I also don't have to pull it down to pinch my nose like that. The back kind of 'hooks' onto that roundy part of the back of your head and I tilt the rift until I get the sweet spot. Although haven't done it in a couple days. Since I haven't demo'd it, I don't have to adjust it at all, just slip it on.

I think the close up objects look awesome, even the distant ones I'd expect this level of detail with the type screen. The UE4 demo still blows my mind with how much detail you see everywhere. I watch the Dreamdeck Dinosaur thing almost every time I play the Rift.

I don't know, "acceptable" and "horrible" seem pretty weird descriptors for where this tech is right now. It still amazes me when I'm playing. I spent a fair amount of time in my DK2 with experiences and games ... but man, Chronos (if it wouldn't stop crashing every 10 minutes!!) or Luckey's Tale is just crazy to think I'm going to start seeing games like these regularly.

And then Touch will launch and it will be another paradigm shift!

Thanks for the reply. I had laser eye surgery done some time back so my vision now is pretty good in both eyes.

Which UE4 demo are you referring to, is it the bullet time one?

The dinosaur dreamdeck demos are great. I remember the first time I tried them I had to take off my headset because I was terrified hehe. But now I can go through the whole sequence.

I wonder how far back you can put the camera sensor. I must try it on my tv unit which is about 2 meters away while I'm on the bed

For those who've tried the DK2, how much of an improvement is CV1 over it?

AgeEighty

Yup that's the one. Using a Rift with SteamVR, that button brings up the SteamVR menu for me.

Huh. Is your controller installed as a controller in SteamVR? Mine doesn't show there, the only things detected are the headset and the sensor... but I wasn't sure if that was necessary.

Sorry if it's offtopic, but has anyone gotten a DK2 to work on a Radeon HD 6870? I heard you could still play some of the new experiences on the DK2 but it refuses to work on my desktop despite working before. Something about updating the drivers (they are up to date). The earliest I'll get a CV1 + new computer is next year, and I just need a taste of VR.

You shouldn't have to do anything other than installing Oculus Home (and rebooting) for it to work.

Damn, took ages to get my Fanatec GT2 and CS Pedals up and running.

Finally got a race in AC. Damn, so much smoother than the DK2. Still annoying you have to use the mouse to select stuff. My seat is pretty far back from my PC so just using my TV keyboard. Plus, it was weird the way Steam starts the game and Home was going when I put on the Rift

But man, looked great. Obviously not as nice as cranked settings on a TV/monitor, but I could make out turns just fine.

Did get a lot of nausea though. My dreams of Elite and AC will need to be put on hold while I build my VR tolerance.

The experiences and games like Lucky's Tale and Chronos are not a problem at all. Teleporting around in Farlands is fine. But faster movement is just not happening for now. Will see if Eve and my HOTAS work and see how that makes me feel.

Man, I wish Chronos would stop crashing... that game is so cool.

I have both headsets, SDE is slightly more noticeable on the Vive but they are comparable. However, the Vive has darker blacks and better contrast.

mitchman

Gold Member
Ok so my Oculus Rift lands here tomorrow (finally!)
I've never experienced VR at all EVER. What are some of the basic cool things I should try first? Games? Experiences/videos? VR desktop stuff? I'll also need cool shit to show off to my family tomorrow. Scary and intense stuff obviously would be awesome.

Apollo 11 VR is impressive. When landing on the moon, it's like you're in the LEM as it descends.

anybody playing Elite with a 970? should i even bother?

I play it on a 970, it's fine. Why wouldn't it be fine?

For those who've tried the DK2, how much of an improvement is CV1 over it?
Missed this question earlier. It depends what irked you about DK2. If it was pure resolution and FOV, then CV1 isn't that much of a step forward. But in almost every other way, it is a massive improvement. DK2 was a front-heavy, uncomfortable design, with limited adjustments. It would be just a few minutes before I wanted to take it off, whereas I'm ok with CV1 for at least half an hour before I start thinking about discomfort. It had a smaller sweet spot in the lenses, and the panel was not optimised for VR. It was very easy to make out subpixels (you could practically count them), and SDE and CA were much bigger problems. Much more black smear, less efficient panel switching, higher latency and only 75Hz meant that low persistence was far less effective than it is on CV1, which meant more potential for nausea, and a very limited sense of presence. Tracking camera had a very small volume, and there were no IR points on the back of the headset, meaning you would regularly lose tracking if you turned/leaned too far. It didn't have headphones, yet the cable was more annoying.

Annoying setup, unfinished software, always uncomfortable. It wasn't something I wanted to use regularly - only the potential of the technology kept me interested.

JambiBum

anybody playing Elite with a 970? should i even bother?

I play it with a 970 and haven't had any problems running the game at all. Every now and then I'll get a small hitch when I'm loading from a hyperspace jump but other than it runs perfectly for me.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just got my CV1.

The one thing that really stands out is how much darker the image is compared to my Vive. It's really dark... is there a way to adjust this?

120v

I play it on a 970, it's fine. Why wouldn't it be fine?

Game's recommended specs for VR are 980... that kind of scared me off. Never saw 980 as "recommended" before on any game

Good to know people are running it fine on 970. Would've hated to wait on an upgrade

Finally got mine yesterday!

All I've tried so far is the 360 degree photos app, and Ocean Rift, a cheapo underwater thing from the Oculus store. I picked these first because I wanted some things my girlfriend might appreciate. She's been very down on the idea of VR ("it's stupid because it's not real"), and I really had to bug her to even agree to try it.

It worked. She spent more time in it than I did, I think. She enjoyed the underwater stuff and very quickly was saying things like "you could never do this in real life" (swim with Orcas or extinct animals). She was even more into the 360 degree photos, especially when we dug up some that are from Costa Rica, where she's from. Now she wants a camera that can make them.

As for me, it was exactly what I expected and hoped for. It's very cool, and now I want pretty much everything to support it. The 3D effect is so much better than any 3D TV or screen I've experienced. I've found all types to be kind of "shimmery", for lack of a better word, and exaggerated. They never look like reality, they look like fake 3D. I've never been a fan. But this doesn't look like that. It looks very convincing and I love it.

All the little negatives - the limited FOV, the streaky lines on high contrast, the sometimes blurry text - are true, but you forget about them quickly once you're settled in.

I expect to try out a handful of stuff this weekend.

I will say, though, that wearing glasses with the Rift is a huge pain. Mine are not large, but they barely fit into it, and they're smashed against my face the whole time, which is uncomfortable, and they get oily and sweaty from my face immediately. When I take off the headset, they're inevitably stuck inside and I have to be careful to hold it upright so they don't move around inside it while I'm extracting my head. I'm constantly afraid the Oculus lenses and my glasses will scratch each other. So far they have not, though. I can't tell if they're touching or not.

Vinlaen

Yeah, I couldn't agree with you more about the Rift and glasses. I've owned the DK2 and now own the Rift and Vive.

I don't need glasses with the Vive and I didn't need them with the DK2 (although I needed the 'B' lenses I think?). However, the Rift CV1 is blurry and I absolutely need my glasses but they are uncomfortable and am I worried about the CV1 lenses being scratched.

I'm a kickstarter backer for VR Lens Lab but I might sell the Rift before then. I was planning to keep both of them but I just can't enjoy the Rift because of the glasses problem. On the flip side, the Rift is much easier to put on (without glasses) because of the straps on the side and the built-in headphones are super convenient.

Finally got mine yesterday!

All I've tried so far is the 360 degree photos app, and Ocean Rift, a cheapo underwater thing from the Oculus store. I picked these first because I wanted some things my girlfriend might appreciate. She's been very down on the idea of VR ("it's stupid because it's not real"), and I really had to bug her to even agree to try it.

It worked. She spent more time in it than I did, I think. She enjoyed the underwater stuff and very quickly was saying things like "you could never do this in real life" (swim with Orcas or extinct animals). She was even more into the 360 degree photos, especially when we dug up some that are from Costa Rica, where she's from. Now she wants a camera that can make them.

As for me, it was exactly what I expected and hoped for. It's very cool, and now I want pretty much everything to support it. The 3D effect is so much better than any 3D TV or screen I've experienced. I've found all types to be kind of "shimmery", for lack of a better word, and exaggerated. They never look like reality, they look like fake 3D. I've never been a fan. But this doesn't look like that. It looks very convincing and I love it.

All the little negatives - the limited FOV, the streaky lines on high contrast, the sometimes blurry text - are true, but you forget about them quickly once you're settled in.

I expect to try out a handful of stuff this weekend.

I will say, though, that wearing glasses with the Rift is a huge pain. Mine are not large, but they barely fit into it, and they're smashed against my face the whole time, which is uncomfortable, and they get oily and sweaty from my face immediately. When I take off the headset, they're inevitably stuck inside and I have to be careful to hold it upright so they don't move around inside it while I'm extracting my head. I'm constantly afraid the Oculus lenses and my glasses will scratch each other. So far they have not, though. I can't tell if they're touching or not.

I'd make sure you have the headset loose enough. It will get warm in the Rift regardless, but make sure that the Rift is pretty much as loose as you can get to where it's stable when you shake your head "no". And of course, make sure the back of the headset is cupping your skull. You can tilt the headset as well. Playing with all of the straps and tilting to line everything up just right is going to be a huge help, and does make it so your glasses won't feel smashed into your face. I have glasses and for me the only problem I have is that it gets warm but it doesn't really get uncomfortable with my glasses on.

There's a company making VR Lenses where you can order prescription lenses which come with an adapter to put into the Rift so you don't need your actual glasses anymore. They were just Kickstarted and it may be a bit before they take additional orders, but keep an eye on them: https://vr-lens-lab.com/

Yeah, I couldn't agree with you more about the Rift and glasses. I've owned the DK2 and now own the Rift and Vive.

I don't need glasses with the Vive and I didn't need them with the DK2 (although I needed the 'B' lenses I think?). However, the Rift CV1 is blurry and I absolutely need my glasses but they are uncomfortable and am I worried about the CV1 lenses being scratched.

I'm a kickstarter backer for VR Lens Lab but I might sell the Rift before then. I was planning to keep both of them but I just can't enjoy the Rift because of the glasses problem. On the flip side, the Rift is much easier to put on (without glasses) because of the straps on the side and the built-in headphones are super convenient.

If you kickstarted Lens Lab, wouldn't that eliminate your problem with the Rift? I certainly don't disagree that the Vive is much more comfortable with glasses, but with lens lab, it should be a huge improvement. Plus, it's not like you need to wait too long (<45 days) for them to get you your order.

Massive post coming

Well I played my rift for a whole night and came away with mixed impressions. Let's start at the beginning, i got the rift and learned that I need to put both my monitor and the rift into slots on the graphics card which only has one HDMI slot. So I had to run to Best Buy to buy a dvi adapter. After that hiccup everything went smoothly. Setting up the rift is super easy, you hook up the rift and camera, follow on screen instructions and boom you are in.

The rift itself feels great. It's super light, feels like a cap and just as easy to put on and take off. It has easy to adjust straps and a quick easy way to make sure you have the best quality with a calibration screen. Then the first demo started.

The rift opens up with some random clips from the oculus dreams program, it has little to no interaction you just look around while standing. You can walk around a two foot radius and lean and turn anyway you want. I did notice the cord, it's coming off the left side on the back and sort of sits on your shoulder. It's not terrible but when walking you notice it. Actually it allowed me to keep oriented in the real world while in the virtual world as I knew which direction was front by how the cord was pulling.

The headset does not have a great FOV but it's good enough. It's not like a tunnel, it just feels like you have a helmet on, pretend you are a fighter pilot or something, it never really bothered me. The screen door effect is noticeable, you can see some lines and pixels, it's kind of like putting your face in front of your TV. Again it's something that didn't bother me once I got into a game.

So the demos started and the first thing I see is this cartoon world with animals. The sound is so incredible, true 3D sound, it's as impressive as looking all around you. Next came a demo with an alien standing right in front of you, this one was interesting because it felt like he was in my personal space. It's nothing like seeing something on a TV. This thing is in front of you, is your height and talking to you as if another person is there. I wanted to interact with it but it's just a demo.

The next demo was a skyscraper and you are standing on the roof looking down. This one disappointed me, I felt nothing. No vertigo, no sense of danger. I knew it was fake, my body did not get fooled. I started to get worried if I was VR proof.

Next demo started and I was in a dinosaur museum, cool. BOOM BOOM BOOM, at the very end of a giant hallway a trex shows up. I was like no no no, don't do this to me, oh come on. It stomped its way right at me, this time I felt it. My heart rate jumped, I started to get nervous as it roared at me and then moved its head right next to me, i was just waiting for it to take a bite. But it walked over me and I looked up as it passed by, the sense of scale is hard to describe. So that one showed me the power of VR, I was totally emotionally invested.

The oculus main menu is super slick, it's like a virtual home with all your programs floating in front of you. Your eyes are the cursor and you can use the small remote or Xbox controller to enter. Next I tried some VR short film, Henry. This asks you to sit down and you are taken to this cartoon hedgehogs home and it's his birthday but he has no friends. It's like a poor man’s Pixar short, things fall around you and it's neat but I don't see it being that impressive.

Next I tried Lucky’s Tale, now this was awesome. Third person on the rift might be the way to go until they get better inputs. It's hard to describe how cool it is to be inside the game world and to see your character jumping around in front of you while you are the camera. You can lean out and in, you can look right at lucky and he will notice you and wave. As you look around you reveal hidden coins and gems to collect, these stay transparent so you need to concentrate to see them, it just works great with the way you are the camera. It was something as simple as looking left that blew me away, look left and you can see the level stretch out, such a simple concept that you never really got in platformers. The game controls fine, seems like a super simple platformer, I would kill for a mario like this. The one issue I had was I felt I was too close to the action, I keep wanting to pull back but I am limited in my space.

I tried out this game called Farlands, it's a game where you use the remote to explore an alien world and scan and collect alien stuff. You move by looking at a spot and pressing a button on the remote and it blinks you there. I kept wanting to use the remote to point at stuff but obviously it didn't work. The whole thing didn't work without touch I felt, I was bored quick.

Then I tried out Eve Valkyrie, sense of scale wow. You shoot out into space and see space before you, all of it in every direction it's so damn cool. I didn't hook up my sticks yet so I played with the controller and it was fine. Eve is a simple fighter game, I was in battles quick. Tracking ships with your eyes feels so great. When they zoom past you you can just look back and see where they are going. Info is all in the cockpit which you see by looking down. It feels great and the sense of scale is so good.

I can compare that to elite dangerous which I tried after, elite is so much better. Eve is like rogue squadron, elite is tie fighter. There are a ton of commands. Looking at different sections of the cockpit brings up all sorts of menus with a stats and meters. This one needed the stick as there was a lot going on. I got the basics of movement and shooting but still felt I was missing a lot. Again the sense of scale is what is most impressive, flying around and seeing a massive capital ship in front of you is a woah moment. And dogfighting around objects is so much better than on a screen, you have a feel for the ship and where it is in the world that is far better than anything you feel on a screen. I will be putting lots of time into this one.

Finally I got to chronos, I was hoping this would be my favorite, third person action adventure game with puzzles, sign me up. Oh man it is so damn cool. It has preset camera angles like in RE but being able to look around the room and environment even while fixed is amazing. You are usually placed in a spot so you see the hero in front of you, you can lean in look to the sides and inspect the rooms he can enter. Each new room brings a new perspective to explore just by looking. The game seems very simple but I loved finding letters and keys hidden around and having to backtrack a bit. I was super impressed by the whole presentation, being made just for oculus makes a huge difference. It looks great too which is something I can't say for most games.

here is the big issue, the resolution sucks. We have gotten so used to beautiful HD that this feels like going back to progressive scan. The two oculus games feel Tailor made so they look fine but the adapted games like elite, oh man, it's just not visually impressive. I also tried to watch some 360 videos, unless you download like a super HD 10 Gig video forget about it, it looks like the first years of streaming video. This thing will need 4K resolution before really taking off and we are still far away from that.

I tried some steam stuff as well. Most of the free stuff is a ton of junk. There was some body VR thing that takes you through blood vessels, the educational potential is great but it looked like some old 90s PC game. One of the more impressive things were 360 photos, there are photos all over the world and it feels like you are there.

I still need to get FPS working on this, until I play some games I love in VR I don't think I will see the full potential. I hope I don't sick. Nothing made me sick yesterday, I felt great the whole time. Clearly this is still very early on and VR is still not ready for the masses, especially when it's asking to go back on things we have gotten used to like beautiful resolution. Still the potential is there for stuff that can make you feel in ways no other thing outside real life can. Also this thing needs touch controllers now.

Revelation.... Steam VR is a performance hog. Each time I've tried Elite Dangerous I've launched it from Steam, which automatically launched Steam VR, which continued to run in the background. It wouldn't hold 90fps most of the time with the VR Low preset. This time, I realised I could close Steam VR before starting the game with the ED launcher. Boom, 90fps. Bumped it to VR High preset and it was still mostly good. It doesn't hold 90 all the time on that, but it's close, so I'll see if I can live with it.

(Thanks for the mirrored fullscreen/resolution tip mitchman, that seemed to help a bit too.)

I wonder if this is why people are reporting Vive being more demanding than Rift - presumably it has to have some form of Steam VR in the background all the time...

JambiBum

Revelation.... Steam VR is a performance hog. Each time I've tried Elite Dangerous I've launched it from Steam, which automatically launched Steam VR, which continued to run in the background. It wouldn't hold 90fps most of the time with the VR Low preset. This time, I realised I could close Steam VR before starting the game with the ED launcher. Boom, 90fps. Bumped it to VR High preset and it was still mostly good. It doesn't hold 90 all the time on that, but it's close, so I'll see if I can live with it.

(Thanks for the mirrored fullscreen/resolution tip mitchman, that seemed to help a bit too.)

I wonder if this is why people are reporting Vive being more demanding than Rift - presumably it has to have some form of Steam VR in the background all the time...

When you launch ED you shouldn't even need to launch SteamVR at all. It should give you the option to choose between regular, Horizons (if you have the expansion), or in SteamVR. You can just choose to launch the regular version and still play in VR by going into the settings in the game and switching it to HMD.

Dineren

Banned
I need to mess around with my Elite settings a bit, after all the performance complaints I just immediately set everything to Medium and performance has been solid. I'm actually pretty impressed with how it looks even with everything turned down. The only thing that really jumped out at me was the look of planet surfaces when landing is pretty bad.

My only real complaint about Elite in VR is not being able to watch anything else while I'm playing. I need a video screen in my ship!

What's this resolution tip?

When you launch ED you shouldn't even need to launch SteamVR at all. It should give you the option to choose between regular, Horizons (if you have the expansion), or in SteamVR. You can just choose to launch the regular version and still play in VR by going into the settings in the game and switching it to HMD.
Hmmm it wasn't giving me that option. Also it would always first launch in 32-bit mode and immediately crash, which where I was able to close Steam VR and launch the 64-bit version. I've just found out you can redeem your purchase on the Oculus Store, avoiding Steam altogether, so I'll probably do that instead!

What's this resolution tip?
Reduce the resolution in the graphics options and it will change your mirrored screen (doesn't affect the VR res). I think mine was at 1280x768 or something. Knocking it down to 800x600 didn't do much, but making it fullscreen instead of windowed did.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So to double-check, is the consensus that you should purchase games on Steam where available, and from the Rift store for exclusives (or for any games that will also provide a Steam key)?

So I tried to get HL2 working in VR by following some online guides. Most say to enable VR mode from the options in game. The game does not allow me to do that, it says no headset is detected even though I am running it in steam VR.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
With summer fast approaching I found a problem with the Rift.

My head sweats and the lenses fog up.

Any ideas on solving this beyond getting a desk fan to blow directly on my face?

Lenses fogging makes this 100% unusable for me.

Peterthumpa

So to double-check, is the consensus that you should purchase games on Steam where available, and from the Rift store for exclusives (or for any games that will also provide a Steam key)?

Basically yes since you have refunds with Steam. Other than that, really not that different anyway.

Dineren

Banned
There was a firmware update available for the sensor(I'm pretty sure it's new, maybe I just missed it before). Was there a changelog or any news about it? Since it's just the sensor I can't imagine it is anything too interesting, but I'm curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom