• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

Mannnnnnnnn just got it set up and messed around with dream deck. My fan is blown away haha. Anything cool not on the oculus home store that I need to be aware of? How about that VR desktop thing.

Mannnnnnnnn just got it set up and messed around with dream deck. My fan is blown away haha. Anything cool not on the oculus home store that I need to be aware of? How about that VR desktop thing.

AltspaceVR is cool. You can filter Steam games to show Rift compatible games so check those out.

Virtual Desktop is useful, and BigScreen is neat. However they don't work on Win7 since it doesn't have the API's they need. Just an FYI.

JambiBum

Hmmm it wasn't giving me that option. Also it would always first launch in 32-bit mode and immediately crash, which where I was able to close Steam VR and launch the 64-bit version. I've just found out you can redeem your purchase on the Oculus Store, avoiding Steam altogether, so I'll probably do that instead!

Reduce the resolution in the graphics options and it will change your mirrored screen (doesn't affect the VR res). I think mine was at 1280x768 or something. Knocking it down to 800x600 didn't do much, but making it fullscreen instead of windowed did.

No idea why it doesn't show up when you launch it. Does it for me every single time. I'm not sure if there is an option in steam that you have to select to get it to come up though.

@gdt

BigScreen is Virtual Desktop but free so if you want to try it out without spending money that is the way to go. VD has more features right now because it's been around longer but BigScreen is doing a great job at adding them and they have said that the program will always be free. The only thing that they will ever charge for is cosmetic stuff.

Reduce the resolution in the graphics options and it will change your mirrored screen (doesn't affect the VR res). I think mine was at 1280x768 or something. Knocking it down to 800x600 didn't do much, but making it fullscreen instead of windowed did.

when i do that in elite the game is text is basically illegible. you sure this doesnt impact the resolution on the rift?

So to double-check, is the consensus that you should purchase games on Steam where available, and from the Rift store for exclusives (or for any games that will also provide a Steam key)?

If you've got a Rift, are purchasing a game that will only work with VR, and know you won't use the refund option, there's just no real reason to buy via Steam. The experience of launching VR games through Oculus Home is miles better than the frankly cumbersome (in comparison at least) SteamVR. There's got to be a pretty compelling reason for me to buy a VR game on Steam instead of Oculus Home, and refunds isn't compelling enough.

vermadas

If you've got a Rift, are purchasing a game that will only work with VR, and know you won't use the refund option, there's just no real reason to buy via Steam. The experience of launching VR games through Oculus Home is miles better than the frankly cumbersome (in comparison at least) SteamVR. There's got to be a pretty compelling reason for me to buy a VR game on Steam instead of Oculus Home, and refunds isn't compelling enough.

For what it's worth, I agree that launching stuff on Oculus Home is more convenient. However, Oculus store is locked to their headset. Steam is headset agnostic. I'm sticking with the Rift in gen1, but what if I decide to jump to a non-Oculus headset in the future? Counting on hacks like ReVive to access my Oculus store content is not an ideal solution.

Wallach

Just woke up a couple hours ago after having to pull an all-nighter, so while my Rift got delivered today I just got it set up and have been using it for about an hour.

Pretty awesome upgrade over the DK2. Mercifully I don't seem to have any dead / stuck pixels or noticeable screen weirdness. Given my luck with PC monitors I was sweating this one, and was pretty relieved after giving the display a good look over in a few solid color scenes.

Really impressed by the fit, as well as the headphones. I have some pretty expensive audio kit in the house, but those are way too nice sounding to give up how convenient they are.

Have only checked out a few things I had already tried in the DK2 (Lucky's Tale, Pinball FX 2) just to get an idea of the visual difference. Biggest improvement is definitely the SDE. Resolution upgrade is nice but not shocking or anything. Obviously the artifacts are the biggest letdown of the change to Fresnel lenses, but I haven't found them too annoying so far. Seemed most noticeable in Virtual Desktop as of yet when looking at all the icon names on my desktop. It's still a noticeable enough thing that I feel the lens needs to be a big focus when it comes time for the next round of HMDs.

Haven't sat down to dig into the meat of things yet since I honestly haven't been awake that long and need to eat and stuff. Mostly I'm thrilled that it is finally fucking here, and I didn't get one with some fucked up screens. Now Dirt Rally just needs to show up in the Home store.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

how do you launch stuff in steamVR if you have a rift? On Vive you have the laser pointer on one of your hands - does it use the Xbox controller or headset aiming with Rift?

Since the latest revive version added a tab in SteamVR so you can launch oculus home bought content directly from within steamVR, I'd say that swings the advantage back to steamVR. The only place you can launch all your VR games. So buy the exclusives in oculus home but launch from steamVR.

I actually double dipped on Blaze Rush because the steam version doesn't support VR, and although it was annoying to do that, I'm glad I did because it works great in VR.

Bought Apollo 11. It takes you through all the stages of the launch until you're on the moon. You start off in a room with jfk on the TV. It was great. I love being in the cockpit with the other astronauts. Moving around, looking out the window all felt very natural.

fwpx

I played some stuff last night, messed with GZ3Doom, etc. I'm not feeling the GAMES on the rift. Maybe i'm being a tightwad, but a lot of these experiences feel shallow, and they have VERY hefty price tags.

If you had to buy ONE game that you think sells VR as something other than novelty, what is it? I'm not finding it on my own, it would seem.

LaneDS

I played some stuff last night, messed with GZ3Doom, etc. I'm not feeling the GAMES on the rift. Maybe i'm being a tightwad, but a lot of these experiences feel shallow, and they have VERY hefty price tags.

If you had to buy ONE game that you think sells VR as something other than novelty, what is it? I'm not finding it on my own, it would seem.

Windlands, for me, was that game. I don't see it talked about much in here, so I'm guessing I'm in the minority, but the feeling of swinging/grappling around and soaring through skies in VR is incredibly cool and that game doesn't really hold your hand at all and still works really well. My non-believer brother, who had tried a bunch of VR stuff over the last year, was similarly impressed and I think that game actually sold him on what VR can do for a gaming experience.

when i do that in elite the game is text is basically illegible. you sure this doesnt impact the resolution on the rift?
I see zero change in the headset when adjusting these values - they only affect the mirrored image on my monitor. If you're talking about the text on the monitor, then I agree it becomes illegible at low resolutions, but I have no use for it.

how do you launch stuff in steamVR if you have a rift? On Vive you have the laser pointer on one of your hands - does it use the Xbox controller or headset aiming with Rift?
Gamepad.

Since the latest revive version added a tab in SteamVR so you can launch oculus home bought content directly from within steamVR, I'd say that swings the advantage back to steamVR. The only place you can launch all your VR games. So buy the exclusives in oculus home but launch from steamVR.
Going by the performance hit I get in ED while having SteamVR in the background, the last thing I want to do is launch everything from there...

Weird, SteamVR never launched for me when I launch Elite from Steam, as long as I don't launch it in SteamVR mode. Launching it normally, with the Oculus connected and it works as expected, utilizing the Oculus SDK, no SteamVR.

Weird, SteamVR never launched for me when I launch Elite from Steam, as long as I don't launch it in SteamVR mode. Launching it normally, with the Oculus connected and it works as expected, utilizing the Oculus SDK, no SteamVR.
Yes indeed, I've managed to get that working too, but mrklaw was talking about the convenience of launching everything from within SteamVR.

tomhan

Got my Rift yesterday but was only able to spend about an hour or so with it last night. It was the first time I've ever used a VR headset and I tried out EVE Valkyrie and Lucky's Tale and while I wasn't blown away I definitely appreciated the new unique experience it provided.

I'm already convinced that it has potential and I'm looking forward to playing more this weekend with a few games that seem to have more depth (Chronos, Project Cars).

Are there any worthwhile games I'm missing by only using the Oculus store so far?

I see zero change in the headset when adjusting these values - they only affect the mirrored image on my monitor. If you're talking about the text on the monitor, then I agree it becomes illegible at low resolutions, but I have no use for it.

just tested and you are 100% correct. the problem with elite, for me at least, is every time that i start it it opens in windowed mode. and the gui is basically unreadable on the rift, super low res and pixelated. to fix this i would change it from "windowed" to full screen and the res to 1080p

well it looks like you can leave the res where it is, or even lower it, and just change it from windowed to full screen. after that it looks amazing on the rift. so if anyone else has the same problem, just try doing that!

thanks for the tip

Wallach

Since I wrote that last post I had been playing a whole bunch of shit on the Rift.

I couldn't stop laughing playing Project CARS and Elite Dangerous. Man, it's just too fucking cool. Need more racing games like pCARS in the Home store. Dirt Rally needs to hurry up and get Rift support done!

Otherwise I bounced around between some random stuff. Please Don't Touch Anything seems kind of neat, enjoyed poking around in that for about half an hour. Looks like a lot of "endings" to figure out. Spent a good chunk of time between Defense Grid 2 VR and Farlands. I've found I quite enjoy playing stuff with just the little Oculus remote. Hitman GO is pretty cool too for that, though I'm still working my way through some of the early boards I already played on iPad.

Later today I'll get to Chronos and The Climb, I think (if I don't just get lost in ED again).

Well that's shitty. UPS just sent me a bill for VAT on my Rift, despite me seeming to recall Oculus saying that VAT was included in the European price. Am I wrong? Have I now been charged double VAT? This is in Norway, btw.

Dineren

Banned
Well that's shitty. UPS just sent me a bill for VAT on my Rift, despite me seeming to recall Oculus saying that VAT was included in the European price. Am I wrong? Have I now been charged double VAT? This is in Norway, btw.

According to this tweet by Palmer it should have been included in the price of the unit. I don't think I've heard of anyone else being charged after the fact (though to be fair I haven't exactly been looking) so it sounds like you're getting double billed.

So there's a thread on reddit saying that Revive has been broken due to a DRM check for an Oculus Rift headset.

From what I gather this means that all my games I buy on Home will be unusable if I choose a different headset for gen 2 ...

I can't help but think this is extremely anti-consumer or that it was an unintentional side affect. I love the Rift, but what is my incentive to buy on Home now? I'd be losing ALL my games if I chose a different headset.

It's like they're trying to be anti-consumer.

It's a terrible, undeniably consumer unfriendly decision if it's intentional but I can't see how it helps them unless they are hell bent on low profit hardware sales at the expense of software sales. This simply means fewer people will buy games from their store which already is subpar.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So there's a thread on reddit saying that Revive has been broken due to a DRM check for an Oculus Rift headset.

From what I gather this means that all my games I buy on Home will be unusable if I choose a different headset for gen 2 ...

I can't help but think this is extremely anti-consumer or that it was an unintentional side affect. I love the Rift, but what is my incentive to buy on Home now? I'd be losing ALL my games if I chose a different headset.

That's a good point. It makes people that already have a rift second guess oculus home purchases if they aren't locked into the brand.

Ahhh, yeah i have to lie down for about half an hour after completing the first chapter, i wonder if it was down to the GTX 970 not being up to the task of achieve a smooth framerate!?

No, it was because Doom is a horrible fit for VR, and will cause nausea in almost everyone who ever tries to play it that way. Your framerate is hardly a factor in comparison to the real culprits.

But this shouldn't come as a surprise, considering how often it has been repeated in this thread and others. First person shooters are horrible in VR for almost everyone, and something as fast and unrealistic as Doom is going to be a million times worse than even that. Unless you're somehow immune to VR sickness (and you're obviously not), trying to play FPS games in VR is going to teach your brain to always be sick when you put the goggles on. Just don't do it.

Lettuce

No, it was because Doom is a horrible fit for VR, and will cause nausea in almost everyone who ever tries to play it that way. Your framerate is hardly a factor in comparison to the real culprits.

But this shouldn't come as a surprise, considering how often it has been repeated in this thread and others. First person shooters are horrible in VR for almost everyone, and something as fast and unrealistic as Doom is going to be a million times worse than even that. Unless you're somehow immune to VR sickness (and you're obviously not), trying to play FPS games in VR is going to teach your brain to always be sick when you put the goggles on. Just don't do it.

I wonder if there would be away to alter the FOV to help with the nausea, as Doom is really damn great in VR!.

On another side note, other than Windlands, EVV, Luckys Tail what are other good games to get???

I wonder if there would be away to alter the FOV to help with the nausea, as Doom is really damn great in VR!

No! It has nothing to do with that! Not to mention how changing FOV in VR is completely nonsensical.

Doom is a nauseating experience because it fucks with your balance centers. There's nothing you can do to fix this. All you're doing by trying is to make things worse for you, both in Doom and in every other VR experience you'll ever try on your VR goggles.

You can't fix this problem. I really can't emphasize this enough.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
No! It has nothing to do with that! Not to mention how changing FOV in VR is completely nonsensical.

Doom is a nauseating experience because it fucks with your balance centers. There's nothing you can do to fix this. All you're doing by trying is to make things worse for you, both in Doom and in every other VR experience you'll ever try on your VR goggles.

You can't fix this problem. I really can't emphasize this enough.

Sure you can, but it would involve an expensive motion control rig setup. ;P

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

I don't understand why people are fine with it on consoles but not on PC, aside from the "it's always been that way" reason.

I understand that most see the Rift as a peripheral, but it's not being sold as a peripheral in the sense that they are not making any money on the hardware. When has that happened on PC? They are clearly taking the console approach of selling the hardware at cost or at a loss and making it back on software. Obviously it is up to the consumer to decide if they want to be tied into an ecosystem with their game purchases but I don't see how it's anti-consumer when that model is already a huge part of gaming.

I don't understand why people are fine with it on consoles but not on PC, aside from the "it's always been that way" reason.

I understand that most see the Rift as a peripheral, but it's not being sold as a peripheral in the sense that they are not making any money on the hardware. When has that happened on PC? They are clearly taking the console approach of selling the hardware at cost or at a loss and making it back on software. Obviously it is up to the consumer to decide if they want to be tied into an ecosystem with their game purchases but I don't see how it's anti-consumer when that model is already a huge part of gaming.

My biggest issue is that it's never been pushed as that. If that is what they want then they may lose my sales. I'm not sure if I want to be locked into a headset in am ever hanging landscape. This isn't Sony vs MS, this is more like being locked into your LG Phone and your apps can't transfer to a Samsung when you get a new phone. There will be many other players involved in the coming years.

The thing is, that Palmer said their Oculus-exclusivity is just tied to the storefront, not to the Hardware. If another HMD manufacturer wants to use the Oculus store, they can. And people are free to hack it if they want to.

Palmers quote:

If customers buy a game from us, I don't care if they mod it to run on whatever they want. As I have said a million times (and counter to the current circlejerk), our goal is not to profit by locking people to only our hardware

From what I can see the 1.4 update checks if you have an Oculus connected, so it actually seems like a Hardware DRM...

Dineren

Banned
I'm curious if Lucky's Tale pushed them to implement it. Having it available for free for every Vive user must have annoyed some people over there. Although it seems like it would have been easier for them to just put a price on it and send out codes to everyone who orders.

Foggy

The writing has been on the wall so I'm not really all that surprised. There's simply too much money to be made long-term in VR so it makes they're trying to emulate Apple.

Regardless, I try not to get wrapped up in drama. This is my hobby and life's too short. As long as your headset functions like I want it to and your software delivery is acceptable and as long as those things align with my self-interest then that's all that needs to be considered. I don't want to marry the company, I just want a good product.

Kusagari

Honestly, it's pretty obvious why they're doing this. Oculus seems focused on funding as many exclusives as they can.

The hope is clearly that the ultimate decision will be their walled garden where every game on Vive ultimately ends up playable on the Rift while the Rift is the one with the exclusives.

Dineren

Banned
Lobosjr is running through Dark Souls 3 with the Oculus on twitch for those that are interested. I had only seen screenshots before, actually seeing it played kind of makes me want to give it a shot.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The writing has been on the wall so I'm not really all that surprised. There's simply too much money to be made long-term in VR so it makes they're trying to emulate Apple.

Regardless, I try not to get wrapped up in drama. This is my hobby and life's too short. As long as your headset functions like I want it to and your software delivery is acceptable and as long as those things align with my self-interest then that's all that needs to be considered. I don't want to marry the company, I just want a good product.

This is how I see it as well. I'm in my 40s now, video games have always been disposable to me. If I get a headset in the future that isn't Oculus (already have a Vive coming but I mean next generation) then I'd lose the ability to play those games but it would be ok because I'd already be playing something else anyway.

I understand it's different for everyone though.

EDIT: Ah, now I see the drama has moved to it's own thread. One of the reasons I don't visit the gaming side as much unless it's about something specific I'm interested in.

This is how I see it as well. I'm in my 40s now, video games have always been disposable to me. If I get a headset in the future that isn't Oculus (already have a Vive coming but I mean next generation) then I'd lose the ability to play those games but it would be ok because I'd already be playing something else anyway.

I understand it's different for everyone though.

EDIT: Ah, now I see the drama has moved to it's own thread. One of the reasons I don't visit the gaming side as much unless it's about something specific I'm interested in.

This is where I stand. It's just not that big of a deal to me "now" but I'll be bummed if a better headset (for my needs) come along and I lose my games.

JambiBum

Haven't Oculus implied that Valve won't let them integrate Vive (or SteamVR) support into Oculus Home? Isn't that just as anti-consumer?

Shh. That doesn't matter to people because Valve is great and Oculus is the devil.

I don't have a Vive so I can't test it, but can't you just add a game's exe to steam as a shortcut and play that way? I have a few games from Home that I added to steam and when I launch them that way it doesn't bring up Home.

Flandy

Bought a PCI-E USB 3.0 Expansion slot because the Oculus Compatibility tool said my current USB 3.0 ports aren't good enough.
Ran it again and it doesn't seem to detect the PCI-E card even though it works?
Haven't got an oculus yet so I can't check myself it theres anything to worry about.
I bought this as the website suggested
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FPIMICA/?tag=neogaf0e-20
71LSAwbx3gL._SX522_.jpg

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Bought a PCI-E USB 3.0 Expansion slot because the Oculus Compatibility tool said my current USB 3.0 ports aren't good enough.
Ran it again and it doesn't seem to detect the PCI-E card even though it works?
Haven't got an oculus yet so I can't check myself it theres anything to worry about.
I bought this as the website suggested
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FPIMICA/?tag=neogaf0e-20
71LSAwbx3gL._SX522_.jpg

it works - though some weird issues with that card i think causing the headset to blink out. Best bet is to keep yourself to the two bottom USB ports on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom