• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

robotrock

Banned
I've got the Rift comfortable with my glasses now! Took a bit but I got the tilt and the straps just right.

Also, Lucky's Tale is a really great platformer. I'm enjoying it very much.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Did they send you any emails prior to charging?

My current Estimated Ship Date is listed as being between 6/6/2016-6/16/2016 and I used a debit card when I placed the order so I'll need to shift some money around before the charge but I was hoping they would give some notice so I can do that before they place it.
None. I used PayPal to avoid issues due to the very long lead time on the authorisation. My bank would've probably not allowed a straight debit charge with the auth being so many months in advance.

I can't stress how awesome it is just to say "gonna play on the Rift for a quick few minutes", the ease of use is amazing.

I did get a 10' HDMI cable and a 10' USB3 cable and they work flawlessly. Will try and test it some walking around with Farlands or something later.

Chronos is crazy, it's like controlling a huge person, the scale is just crazy. Their camera placement on some if the cliff edges while on a slight moving chair (those ikea ones) was pretty freaky.

The game did have a couple crashes, nit sure what that's about.

Easing myself into Elite though, need to get my legs for that one.

But man, the ease of use is probably my favorite feature. Compatibility with glasses is the worst, but just like the DK2 I actually don't really need them, can see just fine. I'll mess around with a broken pair I have to see if I can fit them in there, just seems like there is really no room and I don't want to scratch them.

My rift is coming in tomorrow. I read vorpx is the way to play most non VR games in VR but I also read it could be a technical nightmare to setup. So is it worth it. If I want to play FPSs in VR is this the only way to go?

Foggy

My fiancée who has largely been unimpressed with the DK1 and GearVR but has been super enthusiastic with Farlands and The Climb. It's funny how the heights of The Climb don't affect us, it's just the natural tension of jumping, almost losing your grip, physically stretching to reach the next grip. It's a very impressive controller experience.

Just got my shipping notification as well, had the same estimate date.

I guess I should finally go ahead and upgrade to Windows 10, I hear the Rift performs better on W10?

I believe it needs to be Windows 10 to have Asynchronous Time Warp which apparently really helps with performance. I'm hardly technical so I can't say to what degree it helps.

My rift is coming in tomorrow. I read vorpx is the way to play most non VR games in VR but I also read it could be a technical nightmare to setup. So is it worth it. If I want to play FPSs in VR is this the only way to go?

You can try to find some profiles on other forums to take out some of the tinkering, but that's going to come with the territory of this kind of injection driver. I would personally temper any expectations for traditional fps in VR, especially if it's not designed for it. If you haven't experienced it yet, you'll understand very quickly. If you absolutely must experience it, keep some ginger ale nearby.

wonderpug

Neo Member
If you absolutely must experience it, keep some ginger ale nearby.

Or... buy 3 lbs of candied ginger from Amazon? :)
pCyCLkx.jpg

I've gotten into the habit of eating a piece prior to any of the more intense VR games I have, just to be sure my early VR experiences are as nausea-free as possible.

I believe it needs to be Windows 10 to have Asynchronous Time Warp which apparently really helps with performance.
ATW works on all the supported Windows versions, although supposedly it works better on 10. I've not seen any proper numbers on this though.

You can try to find some profiles on other forums to take out some of the tinkering, but that's going to come with the territory of this kind of injection driver. I would personally temper any expectations for traditional fps in VR, especially if it's not designed for it. If you haven't experienced it yet, you'll understand very quickly. If you absolutely must experience it, keep some ginger ale nearby.

Yeah I've heard. Hopefully I am a lucky one. Are there any injection driver like experiences that are free? Like is HL2 VR free. I would like to test it before I pop down $40 for vorpx.

And what's with the ginger ale? I've never been motion sick in my life, it really helps?

Foggy

Yeah I've heard. Hopefully I am a lucky one. Are there any injection driver like experiences that are free? Like is HL2 VR free. I would like to test it before I pop down $40 for vorpx.

And what's with the ginger ale? I've never been motion sick in my life, it really helps?

If you want a sense of how traditional fps feel in VR, Half Life 2 and Team Fortress 2 should give you an idea of the limitations inherent. Also, the VR mod for the old Doom could give you a sense as well. Opinions are split hard with Vorpx and Vireio and the like. If anything, just temper enthusiasm and take them for what they're worth.

As for ginger ale, it's the ginger part that helps with nausea. It's a popular natural remedy.

If you want a sense of how traditional fps feel in VR, Half Life 2 and Team Fortress 2 should give you an idea of the limitations inherent. Also, the VR mod for the old Doom could give you a sense as well. Opinions are split hard with Vorpx and Vireio and the like. If anything, just temper enthusiasm and take them for what they're worth.

As for ginger ale, it's the ginger part that helps with nausea. It's a popular natural remedy.

HL2 has a free VR mode? How does that work?

Oh and where do you get all these roller coaster VR experiences and other stuff like that.

vermadas

Oh and where do you get all these roller coaster VR experiences and other stuff like that.

Best roller coaster stuff right now is definitely No Limits 2. Unfortunately, the VR is in kind of a half-assed state. The interface is locked with your head movement and isn't proper stereo. But once you're in the actual simulation it's sublime. I'm a huge fan of Cedar Point but haven't made the trip in several years. Some people put replicas of the more popular coasters on the Steam workshop to download and I was able to experience them again.

The asking price of $39.99 is a bit steep though, especially if you're not interested in the creation aspect. And they haven't updated their demo with VR support so you can't try before you buy either. Hopefully they will participate in the Steam sale next month.

Other than that, you're going to be stuck with 360 videos - which are kind of lacking compared to the rendered stuff.

Venfayth

It arrived!

Hooked it up during my lunch hour. I have 8 usb 3.0 ports on my mobo, 6 weren't recognized by the sensor at all and 2 count as usb 2.0, which I'm using for now I guess. :p

I have an i7 3770k which, IIRC, outperforms the recommended processor but that message still shows up about it not meeting the minimum requirements, oh well.

Last gripe I have is that it took me a bit to figure out how to get it to sit on my head without being blurry - a problem assuredly exacerbated by my glasses.

Got through the little intro things and I'm very impressed and excited. Looking forward to trying out lots of games when I get home again!

None. I used PayPal to avoid issues due to the very long lead time on the authorisation. My bank would've probably not allowed a straight debit charge with the auth being so many months in advance.

Damn, I used a debit card with Paypal so I'm not sure where that leaves me.

I'd assume it means I'm going to randomly have it charged without any notice :/

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Damn, I used a debit card with Paypal so I'm not sure where that leaves me.

I'd assume it means I'm going to randomly have it charged without any notice :/

My PayPal is funded by my debit card.
PayPal is managing the pre-auth however not my bank and they're traditionally better at remembering long-standing orders like this in my experience both professionally and personally than the bank.

You shouldn't have any issues I imagine as long as you have funds available.

But yes, it will be randomly charged without notice, and you'll get a shipping tracker number a few hours later on the Oculus store page/order history.

Mine's due this Friday.

Tain

after going nuts on my Vive for a week, I got my Rift today and the advantages are pretty emphasized. The screen really does seem notably clearer to me, and it's crazy how breezy setup is and how good the single-sensor tracking is. And the headphones!

Lucky's Tale also runs notably better than in Revive, but idk if that's ATW in motion or what.

This is really nice!

Best roller coaster stuff right now is definitely No Limits 2. Unfortunately, the VR is in kind of a half-assed state. The interface is locked with your head movement and isn't proper stereo. But once you're in the actual simulation it's sublime. I'm a huge fan of Cedar Point but haven't made the trip in several years. Some people put replicas of the more popular coasters on the Steam workshop to download and I was able to experience them again.

The asking price of $39.99 is a bit steep though, especially if you're not interested in the creation aspect. And they haven't updated their demo with VR support so you can't try before you buy either. Hopefully they will participate in the Steam sale next month.

Other than that, you're going to be stuck with 360 videos - which are kind of lacking compared to the rendered stuff.

So all those YouTube videos of people freaking out over roller coasters in VR they had to pay $40 for that?!

You gotta try Doom VR. It's way too ridiculous to ignore.

Which doom and how?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Got my processing email, and got charged (finally) last night. How long until I actually ship?

Got my tracking number about 6 hours later, at which point the package had already left The Netherlands (if you're Europe) and was on it's way.

gdt

Got my tracking number about 6 hours later, at which point the package had already left The Netherlands (if you're Europe) and was on it's way.

Yep just got the shipping email!

Will be here Thursday....of course I'm spending Friday-Tuesday and my GF's though -_-

Might have to cancel her birthday.

Absinthe

after going nuts on my Vive for a week, I got my Rift today and the advantages are pretty emphasized. The screen really does seem notably clearer to me, and it's crazy how breezy setup is and how good the single-sensor tracking is. And the headphones!

Lucky's Tale also runs notably better than in Revive, but idk if that's ATW in motion or what.

This is really nice!

Same experience here. The Rift is much more comfortable, screen looks better, and I can just come home, throw it on and game. It's more pickup & play; and yes ATW is incredible.

gdt

Will be here Thursday....of course I'm spending Friday-Tuesday and my GF's though -_-

Ahh fuck it's signature required. That kind of fucks me up...

Soulstar

Just got my Rift and it's pretty cool. I will definitely need to get a new graphics card though. My 7970 just isn't cutting it. I knew this would be the case but I ran into a problem that I wasn't expecting. My card can't handle both of my monitors and my Rift as well so when I plug the rift into the HDMI slot one of my monitors would shut off.

You gotta try Doom VR. It's way too ridiculous to ignore.

I just tried and it was both awesome and the first game to actually make me feel queasy. After 3 levels of Doom 2, I felt the cold sweat kick in and I was on the verge of getting ill so I stopped. It is pretty damn cool but be warned, I'm not a person that typically gets motion sick and I was probably a few minutes from getting seriously nauseous.

Good to see all the processing emails. I feel for the early crowd around here having to put up with mass anamosity (myself a part).

It's great to just talk about VR. Will be nice to get more people into the conversation.

Kawngi

I feel like something is wrong with my setup or I'm doing something terribly wrong. Just got my Oculus yesterday and no matter which game/app I'm in, anytime I move my head left or right, there's a noticeable lag on the edges of the game world not being rendered yet.

Using the following: i7 4790k, 16GB RAM, GTX 970, Windows 10

All drivers/updates applied, nothing else is running.

robotrock

Banned
I just tried and it was both awesome and the first game to actually make me feel queasy. After 3 levels of Doom 2, I felt the cold sweat kick in and I was on the verge of getting ill so I stopped. It is pretty damn cool but be warned, I'm not a person that typically gets motion sick and I was probably a few minutes from getting seriously nauseous.

Yeah it's definitely the most intense thing I've played on this.

I don't touch the camera control at all, I just physically look around my room full in full 360 degrees and aim that way.

I feel like something is wrong with my setup or I'm doing something terribly wrong. Just got my Oculus yesterday and no matter which game/app I'm in, anytime I move my head left or right, there's a noticeable lag on the edges of the game world not being rendered yet.

Using the following: i7 4790k, 16GB RAM, GTX 970, Windows 10

All drivers/updates applied, nothing else is running.
That sounds like timewarp, is there any way you can do some performance profiling to see what framerate you're getting?

Majukun

any idea when this and the vice will actually launch in stores? like, in every store? or they are gonna stay 'online order' stuff only?

Just got my rift up and running and I have a few questions.

When looking through it's still kinda blurry, like you have water in your, bit out of focus.
Also looks like the picture is through composite output, like there's interference, horizontal lines going about. Is this normal?

One more thing, I can't seem to get sound working in the rift using steam VR.

Venfayth

So far I've only tried Lucky's Tale, Eve Valkyrie, and Elite: Dangerous, but Elite is so far easily the best experience.

It's really amazing being able to follow a shit in combat with your head. Like, just watching them zip over your head on a monitor kind of sucked, but with VR you can actually look up and watch them and follow them with your eyes instead of the minimap. I kept saying wow while I was playing. I want to play tons more of this.

Eve Valkyrie was fun but I'm not sure how much more I'm going to try.

Most surprisingly to me, Lucky's Tale is actually the thing that I've had the most trouble with nausea. Although it's not quite nausea, I just feel kinda like I'm floating? Being a disembodied camera that isn't controlled one-to-one by me is interesting. I think that is where the disconnect is happening.

Assetto Corsa Rift Pre Alpha support today.

Just got my rift up and running and I have a few questions.

When looking through it's still kinda blurry, like you have water in your, bit out of focus.
Also looks like the picture is through composite output, like there's interference, horizontal lines going about. Is this normal?

One more thing, I can't seem to get sound working in the rift using steam VR.
Sweet spot is small for both horizontal and vertical. In addition to the IPD slider, make sure it's sitting at just the right height on your face, and that the front section is tilted at the optimal angle for your vision. Don't wear it too tight.

But if you're talking about a rolling horizontal line scanning all the way up or down, then that doesn't sound right.

Most surprisingly to me, Lucky's Tale is actually the thing that I've had the most trouble with nausea. Although it's not quite nausea, I just feel kinda like I'm floating? Being a disembodied camera that isn't controlled one-to-one by me is interesting. I think that is where the disconnect is happening.
Makes sense, the other two games are proper seated experiences with the cockpit as a consistent frame of reference (although if you start pulling too many crazy rolls or loops you'll feel it!). LT breaks the rules in some ways - if it was first person it would be very uncomfortable. Being third person, your attention is so focused on the character that you can kinda ignore the fact you're floating weirdly.

Assetto Corsa Rift Pre Alpha support today.

Sweet spot is small for both horizontal and vertical. In addition to the IPD slider, make sure it's sitting at just the right height on your face, and that the front section is tilted at the optimal angle for your vision. Don't wear it too tight.

But if you're talking about a rolling horizontal line scanning all the way up or down, then that doesn't sound right.

Makes sense, the other two games are proper seated experiences with the cockpit as a consistent frame of reference (although if you start pulling too many crazy rolls or loops you'll feel it!). LT breaks the rules in some ways - if it was first person it would be very uncomfortable. Being third person, your attention is so focused on the character that you can kinda ignore the fact you're floating weirdly.

It looks like I'm playing a game through composite output. I also need to tilt the rift downwards to get the image clear.

It's like this image most of the time cv1. Is it the same for everyone else?

WWt2KWm.jpg

You can see what looks to be lines in this direction /// on characters face. Almost like interlacing.

Wallach

It looks like I'm playing a game through composite output. I also need to tilt the rift downwards to get the image clear.

That sounds like noise on the HDMI line or something. Are you connecting via an adapter or anything? Problem seems like it would be either a point of connection or the cable itself.

It's like this image most of the time cv1. Is it the same for everyone else?

WWt2KWm.jpg

You can see what looks to be lines in this direction /// on characters face. Almost like interlacing.

Those are lens artifacts from the fresnel lenses.

I see so it's normal then? The sweet spot sure is sweet. So to turn off the rift while it's plugged in you just exit the oculus home app?

I've only tried the oculus dreamdeck for like 3hrs demos and something on the store called lost. Played no games yet heh. For some reason there's no sound when using steam vr.

I'm downloading a HL2 mod . It's just some of the locations re-done in UE4.

Regarding the artefacts, why did they choose fresnel lenses, does it he any benefits over other types of lenses?

wonderpug

Neo Member
For some reason there's no sound when using steam vr.

When you launch SteamVR (and before you put your headset on) look at the little SteamVR menu that appears middle bottom of your monitor and go into settings. Somewhere in there is the option to have audio change to the Rift while in SteamVR and back to desktop speakers when you leave.

If that doesn't work, you can go into Windows sound settings to change your default audio device to and from the Rift audio. I have to do that for BlazeRush because for some reason that's the one game I have from the Oculus Store that won't switch over audio properly.

Life hates me too. I'm getting it today and I leave on a trip all weekend. The odds of that are crazy.

I see so it's normal then? The sweet spot sure is sweet. So to turn off the rift while it's plugged in you just exit the oculus home app?

I've only tried the oculus dreamdeck for like 3hrs demos and something on the store called lost. Played no games yet heh. For some reason there's no sound when using steam vr.

I'm downloading a HL2 mod . It's just some of the locations re-done in UE4.

Regarding the artefacts, why did they choose fresnel lenses, does it he any benefits over other types of lenses?

Where can I get this mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom