• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
People looking at most of those stills would think CV1 has a completely smooth image with no sense of pixels at all, but that is not the case. The one that is most accurate is the Lucky's Tale icon with 'Your Activity' written above - this diagonal 'linen' texture is how it looks all of the time, yet this is the only shot where it has been shown.

It should be very obvious when a game isn't 90fps. Thanks to ATW, the headlook often remains smooth, but any movement within the scene you're looking at will judder.

What about chromatic aberration, is the video correct in that, and parts of the image that's out of focus?

When do you get nausea? I only start to feel it in E:D when riding the buggy on planets, all other times I'm fine.

The rotation mainly. Thinking of getting the Asp because the 'Conda is kind of like a tanker and you can see the front, maybe that is doing it. I remember when I had an Asp that its cockpit was forward.

Never was this bad on the DK2 but it has been quite a few months since I've played much in VR.

As if niw, Blazerush actually has me going back for more. Such a simple game I'd probably not enjoy on a 2D screen but in VR it's surreal, like when I was a kid and had a slot car track.

I just wish the camera had more freedom.

Kevin

If anyone has VorpX and the game Life is Strange is willing to tell me how playable/enjoyable it is in VR, I would be greatly appreciated.

Enk

makes good threads.
If anyone has VorpX and the game Life is Strange is willing to tell me how playable/enjoyable it is in VR, I would be greatly appreciated.

I tried it a few months back when I had the DK2. It was really only playable in theater mode but I remember having some issues with the Geometry 3D as it was separating the objects in each eye more than it should've which made it a pain to look at. With some more tinkering in the settings I might've been able to get it to an acceptable level. I'll probably give it another go once I get my CV1 next week.

gdt

My shipping date is late ish May is nearing as well. Don't really know how excited I am anymore. Also I wear glasses...

Kevin

I tried it a few months back when I had the DK2. It was really only playable in theater mode but I remember having some issues with the Geometry 3D as it was separating the objects in each eye more than it should've which made it a pain to look at. With some more tinkering in the settings I might've been able to get it to an acceptable level. I'll probably give it another go once I get my CV1 next week.

Cool thanks for the update. :)

So I've had my Vive for three weeks now and have been super happy with it thus far, to the point where I was intending to cancel my Rift preorder this weekend. Lo and behold, when I got up this morning there was an "order has been processed" email for it, so looks like I'll have both of the PC VR headsets soon.

Since I've not really kept up on this end as I've been focused on what I had with the Vive, what are some must haves that I need for the Rift? I've not done any of the stuff to play Rift games on the Vive, so anything Rift only will be new to me.

So I've had my Vive for three weeks now and have been super happy with it thus far, to the point where I was intending to cancel my Rift preorder this weekend. Lo and behold, when I got up this morning there was an "order has been processed" email for it, so looks like I'll have both of the PC VR headsets soon.

Since I've not really kept up on this end as I've been focused on what I had with the Vive, what are some must haves that I need for the Rift? I've not done any of the stuff to play Rift games on the Vive, so anything Rift only will be new to me.

Chronos and Lucky's Tale are quite good. ADR1FT is nauseating and incredibly boring, but if you feel desperate for content it at least looks nice.

Also, Insomniac's game is out in June.

wonderpug

Neo Member

Get all the animated shorts, those are all fun. Lost, Invasion, and The Rose and I are my favorites. Showdown also really really neat, if short. Ocean Rift also a good non-game.

Must Have
  • Chronos
  • Lucky's Tale
  • BlazeRush
Really Good Depending on Your Taste
  • The Climb (almost put it in must-have)
  • AirMech
  • Pinball FX2
  • Esper 2
  • Farlands
  • Defense Grid 2
  • ADR1FT
Pretty Neat and Worth Considering
  • Radial-G
  • EVE Valkyrie (should be much improved after the upcoming patch hits)
  • Fated
  • Darknet
  • Hitman Go

What about chromatic aberration, is the video correct in that, and parts of the image that's out of focus?
That's not accurate either, as the camera lens doesn't replicate an eye lens, and the positioning is critical. There are aberration and focus problems in the Rift, but it will vary by individual and how well the headset has been configured for your face. Although most people seem to say the Rift sweet spot is bigger than the Vive, it's still extremely small if you want to find the best possible image across the full diameter of the lens, and it will vary depending on your eyesight and facial structure. For instance, someone might need to have the lenses slightly higher or more tilted in order find the best clarity in the centre, at the expense of more distortion/aberration at the sides. The sweet spot for best aberration mitigation might be slightly different from the sweet spot for best focus, and so on.

And then also consider that this is a single lens, whereas your brain is combining two images from the Rift, which adds more variables, particularly if you have a very asymmetrical facial structure or different eye strength.

The video is a good illustration that the CV1 is a massive improvement in quality over DK2, assuming the images were captured using the same camera. But it doesn't represent the actual appearance of either headset. I have the two headsets here side by side, and there's no doubt that CV1 reduces screendoor and CA by a huge amount, and keeps a clarity/focus of the image across more of the lens diameter. The only major backwards step is the 'god rays', which are a permanent distraction in high contrast scenes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's not accurate either, as the camera lens doesn't replicate an eye lens, and the positioning is critical. There are aberration and focus problems in the Rift, but it will vary by individual and how well the headset has been configured for your face. Although most people seem to say the Rift sweet spot is bigger than the Vive, it's still extremely small if you want to find the best possible image across the full diameter of the lens, and it will vary depending on your eyesight and facial structure. For instance, someone might need to have the lenses slightly higher or more tilted in order find the best clarity in the centre, at the expense of more distortion/aberration at the sides. The sweet spot for best aberration mitigation might be slightly different from the sweet spot for best focus, and so on.

And then also consider that this is a single lens, whereas your brain is combining two images from the Rift, which adds more variables, particularly if you have a very asymmetrical facial structure or different eye strength.

The video is a good illustration that the CV1 is a massive improvement in quality over DK2, assuming the images were captured using the same camera. But it doesn't represent the actual appearance of either headset. I have the two headsets here side by side, and there's no doubt that CV1 reduces screendoor and CA by a huge amount, and keeps a clarity/focus of the image across more of the lens diameter. The only major backwards step is the 'god rays', which are a permanent distraction in high contrast scenes.

Have you compared with a vive? Those images in the DK2 comparison look really clear - for me on the vive the pixels are always visible unless you tune them out. When playing Luckys tale using revive, I find close up lucky to be nice and clear, like a little figure. But anything further from the player than lucky will quickly turn to pixel mush of varying degrees

Yo how do I take this facial interface off??

The bottom part comes out pretty easy but that top is a firm motherfucker
It comes right off for me, just a straight edge of plastic holding it in. Interesting that the piece is marked 'A'. Like they were/are going to make different size ones. I wish they had already as the standard one digs into my face at the sides no matter how I adjust or tilt things around.

robotrock

Banned
It comes right off for me, just a straight edge of plastic holding it in. Interesting that the piece is marked 'A'. Like they were/are going to make different size ones. I wish they had already as the standard one digs into my face at the sides no matter how I adjust or tilt things around.

They actually did say that the Rift was going to come with two of these facial interfaces. Hopefully they release some new ones soon, because I still can't get it as comfortable as I'd like with my glasses.

Soi-Fong

Need a bit of advice here guys... I had the Rift come in April 20th so I've had it for quite a bit of time.

Went on vacation though on the 21st so it remains unopened. I'm having second thoughts on opening it and just thinking of Ebaying it or something. I see also a lot of the Rift games have been hacked to work on the Vive which I've been enjoying very much.

With me having pre-ordered PSVR as well, I'm really hesitant now to open the Rift.

So what do you guys think? Should I open it or just sell it?

spannicus

Need a bit of advice here guys... I had the Rift come in April 20th so I've had it for quite a bit of time.

Went on vacation though on the 21st so it remains unopened. I'm having second thoughts on opening it and just thinking of Ebaying it or something. I see also a lot of the Rift games have been hacked to work on the Vive which I've been enjoying very much.

With me having pre-ordered PSVR as well, I'm really hesitant now to open the Rift.

pretty sure with all 3, one is probably gonna collect dust. Didnt see much a difference myself between the 2 PC headsets so having only 1 for me makes sense.

I'd sell the Rift. Personally cancelled the PSVR preorder I had, will snag it later after a price drop or sale. Plus have no idea what is going on with the ps4.5 or whatever.

I personally couldn't handle anything less comfortable than the Rift. I can wait for Touch while I earn my VR legs.

The only thing that really sucks with the Rift is glasses. Luckily I can use it without them with not too much of an issue. -1.25/-1.50.

I did order some cheapo pairs to mess around with until I get the VR Lens ones though.

I would have sold my Rift if Elite Dangerous wasn't in such a poor state with the Vive at the moment.

Soi-Fong

I would have sold my Rift if Elite Dangerous wasn't in such a poor state with the Vive at the moment.

This is what's giving me second thoughts as even with all that I've tried and been impressed by with the Vive, my best presence moments still came from Elite and the DK2. Though, I'm also a glass user as well.

Elite is what's preventing me from selling it, but I really shouldn't let one game prevent me from selling the gosh darn thing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This is what's giving me second thoughts as even with all that I've tried and been impressed by with the Vive, my best presence moments still came from Elite and the DK2. Though, I'm also a glass user as well.

Elite is what's preventing me from selling it, but I really shouldn't let one game prevent me from selling the gosh darn thing.

I thought elite improved with the recent patch? Anyway, I'd sell it unless you're a VR collector. that's what I'm doing as I will have had my vive for a month by the time my rift turns up. Going to sell it unopened to cover some of the cost of the vive. I still want a PSVR as the software overlap doesn't look so large, but I might wait to see what Sony do with the 4K. Also full freedom tracking has really spoiled me. But TumbleVR...

The current Elite 2.1 beta has improved the text readability but it still has much worse aliasing issues on the Vive. However, I believe Frontier is working on a solution. for that but it likely won't come with 2.1.

Have you compared with a vive? Those images in the DK2 comparison look really clear - for me on the vive the pixels are always visible unless you tune them out. When playing Luckys tale using revive, I find close up lucky to be nice and clear, like a little figure. But anything further from the player than lucky will quickly turn to pixel mush of varying degrees
Unfortunately I've not had the chance to compare the Vive yet. The comparison images in the video are deceptive. The only one that bears any resemblance to how the CV1 looks (to me) is the Lucky's Tale icon at 0:37, but even that is not accurate. The others are out of focus, introducing a softness to the image, masking how the pixel grid actually looks in person. But I've not had major problems with LT's image quality with distant objects. It's possible that the Rift optics handles the 'mush factor' better than the Vive.

I'd sell the Rift. Personally cancelled the PSVR preorder I had, will snag it later after a price drop or sale. Plus have no idea what is going on with the ps4.5 or whatever.

I personally couldn't handle anything less comfortable than the Rift. I can wait for Touch while I earn my VR legs.

The only thing that really sucks with the Rift is glasses. Luckily I can use it without them with not too much of an issue. -1.25/-1.50.

I did order some cheapo pairs to mess around with until I get the VR Lens ones though.
If you're talking about wear-ability, imo PSVR is pretty close in comfort to the Rift, albeit heavier. Weight distribution seems great though. And the way the front section operates on a slider seems like it could be better for glasses too. Also the lens and display quality is very impressive, SDE and CA mitigation seemed as good as - if not better than - the Rift. And it doesn't suffer from godrays. It could actually be the best headset, but the weak link is the PS4. Games will often have much lower target resolution, and aliasing will be very apparent. The demanding games will run at 60fps, which is not as good as 90fps on Rift, even with the reprojection. However... if someone figures out how to get PSVR running on PC, and you can push everything at 120fps... that will be very interesting indeed.

Unfortunately I've not had the chance to compare the Vive yet. The comparison images in the video are deceptive. The only one that bears any resemblance to how the CV1 looks (to me) is the Lucky's Tale icon at 0:37, but even that is not accurate. The others are out of focus, introducing a softness to the image, masking how the pixel grid actually looks in person. But I've not had major problems with LT's image quality with distant objects. It's possible that the Rift optics handles the 'mush factor' better than the Vive.

If you're talking about wear-ability, imo PSVR is pretty close in comfort to the Rift, albeit heavier. Weight distribution seems great though. And the way the front section operates on a slider seems like it could be better for glasses too. Also the lens and display quality is very impressive, SDE and CA mitigation seemed as good as - if not better than - the Rift. And it doesn't suffer from godrays. It could actually be the best headset, but the weak link is the PS4. Games will often have much lower target resolution, and aliasing will be very apparent. The demanding games will run at 60fps, which is not as good as 90fps on Rift, even with the reprojection. However... if someone figures out how to get PSVR running on PC, and you can push everything at 120fps... that will be very interesting indeed.

I'm still out on the resolution of the PSVR. I'll wait until more tested reviews come in after launch. The comfort I could definitely see though.

Either way, the Rift is my early adoption. I barely play my PS4, went months at one point. So I just couldn't justify it at launch.

Plus the Rift, ice I have Touch, will be more than enough for my VR needs.

Foggy

Are the Touch controllers compelling to you? If not decidedly more compelling than Vive wands then you might as well sell it. I don't personally see the point of having both headsets unless you're hinging on Touch giving you better experiences.

So after getting the Rift on Friday, and playing with it for maybe 2-3 on Friday and 3-4 hours on Saturday, I was left with a "oh man, there's really no content for this thing whatsoever beyond glorified tech demos and small stuff ported over from Gear VR" hangover. I was kind of dissapointed, especially since the image quality wasn't as good as I remembered from initial demos (the diagonal screen door effect seemed way, way worse).

But then I got it talking to SteamVR to explore games I already have that support VR and two games have made me not regret getting one so far: Subnautica and Elite Dangerous. I don't know why, but the "VR training mission" in Elite felt 1000X more immersive than Eve Valkyrie, and i'm kind of shocked at how well the newest patch of Subnautica handles on the Rift.

Volo Airsport was pretty fun too, and I realized that they also added a VR demo section to 3DMark, and those two simple demos are actually *amazing* from an immersion perspective.

Venfayth

Great! I've got a hotas coming also, making sure to get a Saitek before Madcatz kicks the bucket. I'm guessing it'll take a bit of learning to use the hotas without being able to look at it :p

Asked in the Vive thread, but should probably ask here too.

Need some quick advice. I'm going to go ahead and get a Saitek X52 but is the Pro version worth it for $30 more? The main reason I'm going with the Saitek as opposed to say a Thrustmaster is I don't play a lot of games that would use a flight stick and I'm hesitant to drop that kind of money on one. The Pro is a little more than I want to spend but I'm willing to if it's worth it.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So after getting the Rift on Friday, and playing with it for maybe 2-3 on Friday and 3-4 hours on Saturday, I was left with a "oh man, there's really no content for this thing whatsoever beyond glorified tech demos and small stuff ported over from Gear VR" hangover. I was kind of dissapointed, especially since the image quality wasn't as good as I remembered from initial demos (the diagonal screen door effect seemed way, way worse).

Chronos, The Climb, Lucky's Tale, BlazeRush, PinballFX. None of those are glorified tech demos or available on GearVR.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
My European order from 31 minutes past the hour just got charged and has apparently already shipped out.

I had an original estimate of 23th May-2nd June.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
My European order from 31 minutes past the hour just got charged and has apparently already shipped out.

Just got my shipping notification as well, had the same estimate date.

I guess I should finally go ahead and upgrade to Windows 10, I hear the Rift performs better on W10?

Did they send you any emails prior to charging?

My current Estimated Ship Date is listed as being between 6/6/2016-6/16/2016 and I used a debit card when I placed the order so I'll need to shift some money around before the charge but I was hoping they would give some notice so I can do that before they place it.

AgeEighty

I can't believe how slow UPS Ground has been with this shipment. It was shipped out of Kentucky; most UPS Ground shipments to me from that part of the country take only 2-3 business days even when there's a weekend in the middle; this one's taking 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom