• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
This is where I stand. It's just not that big of a deal to me "now" but I'll be bummed if a better headset (for my needs) come along and I lose my games.

I really depends on where things go from here. Are we stuck with CV1s + Touch for 2 years? 1?

I don't know if anyone is going to come out and blow us away within the next year with something that we must have so I'm comfortable being in the Oculus ecosystem for the next couple of years.

We'll see if their strategy pays off and we get lots of great games only available on the Rift or if devs will just start moving exclusively to Steam. Of course, this could all change as well and we'll go back to how things were.

Flandy

it works - though some weird issues with that card i think causing the headset to blink out. Best bet is to keep yourself to the two bottom USB ports on it

I actually disabled my other USB 3.0 ports and ran the rest again. It worked :)

By the bottom ones I assume you mean the ones closest to the motherboard? Why those?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I actually disabled my other USB 3.0 ports and ran the rest again. It worked :)

By the bottom ones I assume you mean the ones closest to the motherboard? Why those?

the top three ports run through a hub on the card where as the bottom two are direct.

Bought a PCI-E USB 3.0 Expansion slot because the Oculus Compatibility tool said my current USB 3.0 ports aren't good enough.
Ran it again and it doesn't seem to detect the PCI-E card even though it works?
Haven't got an oculus yet so I can't check myself it theres anything to worry about.
I bought this as the website suggested
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FPIMICA/?tag=neogaf0e-20
71LSAwbx3gL._SX522_.jpg

Mine refused to work unless I powered it with the supplied sata cable. Picked the tip off an Amazon review.

Dineren

Banned
Anyone tried Monstrum? I didn't have time to check it out, but when I was looking at the games updated in Steam today I saw that it just got CV1 support. I don't even remember buying it, so I assume I got it in some random bundle.

I really depends on where things go from here. Are we stuck with CV1s + Touch for 2 years? 1?

I don't know if anyone is going to come out and blow us away within the next year with something that we must have so I'm comfortable being in the Oculus ecosystem for the next couple of years.

We'll see if their strategy pays off and we get lots of great games only available on the Rift or if devs will just start moving exclusively to Steam. Of course, this could all change as well and we'll go back to how things were.
Palmer Luckey said the plan was for their headsets to have a product life between cell phones (1 year) and game consoles (4-5 years), leaning more toward cell phones. So probably two years.

Well that's shitty. UPS just sent me a bill for VAT on my Rift, despite me seeming to recall Oculus saying that VAT was included in the European price. Am I wrong? Have I now been charged double VAT? This is in Norway, btw.

Contact Oculus Support. Read on reddit about someone else also from Norway who got the same bill, but they contacted Oculus and they made it go away.
Haven't Oculus implied that Valve won't let them integrate Vive (or SteamVR) support into Oculus Home? Isn't that just as anti-consumer?

They certainly have implied as much, but there was never much reason to believe it. I honestly don't understand why they would want to limit the amount of people who can purchase their Oculus exclusive software. Unless they also lied about selling the hardware at cost of course.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Any links? I'd like to take a look myself

Not off hand as I'm it. If you google headset randomly going blank you'll find Reddit and oculus support threads and ya implied to be a USB issue, with most of the affected seemingly using that card.

Definitely do need to power the card as people above noted

Mine refused to work unless I powered it with the supplied sata cable. Picked the tip off an Amazon review.

Yeah, we had trouble getting the PC to detect it, so we tried the sata cable and it worked.

What does everyone have their IPD adjustment to?

Mine's all the way to the right, think it's 71mm?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Well, my RIft is here, but unfortunately the HDMI connection isn't recognized when I plug it into my video card. Looking at the connector closely, one of the pins appears to be messed up. :/

Sent a support ticket to Oculus asking for a replacement cable.

theeraser

Well, my RIft is here, but unfortunately the HDMI connection isn't recognized when I plug it into my video card. Looking at the connector closely, one of the pins appears to be messed up. :/

Sent a support ticket to Oculus asking for a replacement cable.
Good luck with that, really. It took Oculus support almost a month to get me a new cable.

Make sure you include as much information as possible. They're going to ask for pictures of the Rift cable (both ends), as well as a DxDiag -- so just send them that information before they have the chance to request it. Any additional correspondence with Oculus support is going to add about a week to your processing time.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Good luck with that, really. It took Oculus support almost a month to get me a new cable.

Make sure you include as much information as possible. They're going to ask for pictures of the Rift cable (both ends), as well as a DxDiag -- so just send them that information before they have the chance to request it. Any additional correspondence with Oculus support is going to add about a week to your processing time.

After further investigation, my video card's HDMI port may just be dead, no output to a monitor either. I guess I should try a DVI or DP adapter before trying a new video card, in case it's not the cable after all.

AgeEighty

I had an issue where my Rift headset connected perfectly fine to one of my USB 3.0 connectors, but the sensor, connected to the USB 3.0 port right next to it, registered an error and called the port "incompatible". Tried swapping the connectors and got the same result. So apparently the HMD works with ports the sensor doesn't?

I've got it connected to a USB 2.0 port for the time being, and honestly it seems to work just fine.

Received Rift the other day. Before then I thought all the people complaining about the Vive being heavy / uncomfortable were just bitches, but wearing the Rift is like wearing nothing at all compared to the Vive.

Their ergonomics department is doing all the right things.

Wallach

Just got done playing an hour or so of Chronos. Mehhhhh, I dunno. It's a really nice looking game, but the combat doesn't seem very interesting. I think it's mostly the cadence; the style of the combat seems sort of Zelda meets Dark Souls, but it feels about half the speed of the latter, which is just too slow. I'll probably continue to plug away at it over the next week but I can't say it grabbed me so far.

Wollan

I'm not going to say the game gets drastically better at point X but you will find Chronos to sneak up on you and then you get to occasionally see some nice original touches, you have plenty weapons, you are upgrading, you enjoy the atmosphere and the story is a curiosity. It becomes gradually more interesting until the very end and at that point the game has a very (modern) Zelda-feel to it.

Wallach

Just got done playing The Climb for a bit. Did the two tutorial areas, a quick practice wall, and then the first climb in the Bay on easy.

That game is fuckin' rad. I am totally into that. Fuck, I hate that is so cool to be honest with how upset I am about their latest bullshit with the "headset DRM" on the store. Other than pCARS and Elite that is one of the coolest VR games I've played so far.

So I just got my Oculus kickstarter edition (finally!). If I have to get one game, what should it be? Chronos? The Climb? Keep talking and nobody explores?
(I also kickstartered technolust, so I got a key for that. Any good?)

Lucky's tale is surprisingly entertaining, though not controlling the camera is weirdly enough my most barf-inducing experience so far.

edit: Also my cpu is slightly lower specs (i5 but not quite fast enough) but I have a titan. So far it seems fine?

I had decided to keep my Oculus preorder and it will be here on Monday! I went to the Best Buy demo just to try it out before it arrives (mainly because I have a big head, I wear glasses and I wanted to see how it would fit) and it fit quite well. I really enjoyed it and I think those who were bashing the Rift came to it with unrealistic expectations. I'm hyped for Monday and already have EVE and Lucky downloaded and installed on my PC. I also downloaded The Foo Show and some of the other videos. Now, I'm just wondering what other titles to get to go along with my current library.

I love Hitman Go on my iPhone and I'm thinking about getting it on PC as well. One of the main games I was hyped for is AD1FT and I'm thinking about either getting it through the store or buying the CE from iam8bit. I'm not too sure about anything else.

really enjoyed it and I think those who were bashing the Rift came to it with unrealistic expectations.

I dont know. The ones who are bashing it bash it not (only) because of the technology, but because of how Oculus is running their business. Especially since the news from yesterday. Creating a closed "console-like" experience on PC is never good.

I dont know. The ones who are bashing it bash it not (only) because of the technology, but because of how Oculus is running their business. Especially since the news from yesterday. Creating a closed "console-like" experience on PC is never good.

I'm sorry. I should've been more specific.

I meant those who are bashing the tech itself, not the business practice.

As much as I don't like their closed off nature, they are a business who is trying to make their product stand as a "you can only experience this at" type experience. It's still early enough in their business cycle where they can change it if the actual majority of their customers complain enough about it. I think that it will eventually change so that they don't lose out on the overall race to stay dominant.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is the warranty with the unit or the purchaser? Looking to sell mine unopened so wanted to check the warranty situation before selling it.

I'd say The Climb is pretty essential for anyone with a Rift. It's by far the best VR game I've played, and the one that feels the most like a complete game.

The only way for the store lockdown move to payoff is in the very long term. Currently, it just turns off anyone from buying shit from their store, which was a hard pill to swallow before this move for both Vive and Oculus owners. As a Rift owner, I still haven't made a purchase in their store due to the current high prices of VR games in general and the lack of refunds for games that could literally make you sick when you play. This move pushes me away harder, not only because I currently also own a Vive but because I don't want to invest in a specific headset platform. I do get they are in a very awkward position though. With Steam, Valve was positioned to make money off of VR out of the gates and Oculus has an uphill battle to make a profit. I don't see these kinds of moves paying off anytime soon though.

tomhan

Has anyone tried the roller coaster simulator No Limits 2 with the Oculus CV1? Seems like it would be a good fit for VR. I'm looking for a good short experience to introduce people to VR.

vermadas

Has anyone tried the roller coaster simulator No Limits 2 with the Oculus CV1? Seems like it would be a good fit for VR. I'm looking for a good short experience to introduce people to VR.

I've been playing with NoLimits 2. My thoughts:

+ Rollercoaster simulation is incredibly accurate. The feel, the sound, etc. is fantastic.
+ Steam workshop support. I was able to download replicas of some coasters I knew and people do a great job with the recreations.

- All of the menus are kind of fucked in VR. They are too zoomed in, locked with your head, and don't do proper stereo.
- The game seems to be optimized poorly for 3D rendering. On my 980 ti I have to put the graphics on medium to get a smooth framerate. And that's with the coasters that don't have a lot going on environment wise. If you try a park with a few rollercoasters or has a lot of geometry, it's too choppy to be enjoyable.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Easing myself into my VR legs.

Lucky's Tail is fantastic, I'm still in that phase where I find it fucking amazing that you instinctively dodge particles or confetti floating in the air with your head as if you need to avoid that. If I have to equate the game to something it's as if you're hovering on-top of a really elaborate table top board game.

EVE Valkyrie is the other game I've played so far to any real extent. It seems very rudimentary but I really like the feel of it. The sound design reminds me of a theme park experience. I managed a full 8 vs 8 game of humans too which seems unheard of (e.g. via Giant Bomb etc.) on the new EU server.

I managed a full 8 vs 8 game of humans too which seems unheard of (e.g. via Giant Bomb etc.) on the new EU server.
Well, keep in mind that's in large dependent on people getting their Rifts, and there are a lot more people who have Rifts to play against now than when Giant Bomb wrote about it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Well, keep in mind that's in large dependent on people getting their Rifts, and there are a lot more people who have Rifts to play against now than when Giant Bomb wrote about it.

Jeff was talking about it in the latest VRodeo they did that went up today too.

charpunk

So if I wanted to buy an Oculus now, is there any better option than placing an order and waiting for August?

Keep an eye on bestbuy.com and see if there is a location near you with an Intel experience shop if you're in the states. Those best buy locations have been getting units in to sell.

Keep an eye on bestbuy.com and see if there is a location near you with an Intel experience shop if you're in the states. Those best buy locations have been getting units in to sell.
Well, they got them. Once. Less than 10 per location, and only the 48 locations got any.

Bog

Junior Ace
Mine came in already, sooner than I thought, and long before I could upgrade my video card with a 1080. Is it worth even installing the Rift with only a 670?

120v

Mine came in already, sooner than I thought, and long before I could upgrade my video card with a 1080. Is it worth even installing the Rift with only a 670?

I read it's doable with the 600 series. I wouldn't bother personally. 680 maaaybe

Wallach

Finished up the Canyon and Alps climbs on easy in The Climb.

That might be my favorite game in VR to date. Enough that I might keep the Rift around for now just so I can play that.

Now that I've put a small chunk of time into it, I am pretty certain that I would prefer the hand controls to remain abstract. That said, there is one particular reason I wouldn't mind playing the game on Touch controllers, which honestly is simply to have the grip trigger separated per hand. Even if you didn't use the tracking of them whatsoever, I think I would like having the chalk button and grip trigger in slightly more natural positions. I find that my grip on the Elite controller is sometimes... unintentionally intense and I think having the hands independent of one another might be a little more comfortable.

Has anyone played Warthunder on the CV1?

Purchased the steam pack, hoping it supports the XB1 controller.

I tried it about two weeks ago. It wasn't a very good experience, to be honest. The scale felt totally off (everything feels way too small, especially objects on the ground), and aiming just didn't feel right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom