• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had a charge decline and if they did how long did it take for them to retry the charge/ship your rift?

I've had my date pushed back multiple times and now they charged me out of nowhere on a card that I couldn't remember because I had to try every single credit and debit card I own during the checkout process thanks to their garbage payment system that had everyone refreshing the page for an hour.

I was sitting at the page half an hour before it went live just to make sure I'd be there in time and yet by the time my order finally went through it was over an hour after pre-orders opened.

It's serious bullshit that every single step of the way they've made it as hard as possible to give them my money.

I'm so close to cancelling my order at this point, and I've given them every single benefit of the doubt every single time when they've done nothing but show how little they value their customers.

Has anyone had a charge decline and if they did how long did it take for them to retry the charge/ship your rift?

I've had my date pushed back multiple times and now they charged me out of nowhere on a card that I couldn't remember because I had to try every single credit and debit card I own during the checkout process thanks to their garbage payment system that had everyone refreshing the page for an hour.

I was sitting at the page half an hour before it went live just to make sure I'd be there in time and yet by the time my order finally went through it was over an hour after pre-orders opened.

It's serious bullshit that every single step of the way they've made it as hard as possible to give them my money.

I'm so close to cancelling my order at this point, and I've given them every single benefit of the doubt every single time when they've done nothing but show how little they value their customers.

Doesnt it show in your order history which card you used?

Doesnt it show in your order history which card you used?

I don't remember using Paypal but probably did end up using it when all my cards weren't going through on pre-order day, but ever since I've placed the order it's shown that Paypal is the method I'm using for payment and when I would select it on the order page it would only give the option to enter new info, not display the original info.

There was one card that I thought to be the one I had used, and I went as far as shifting around money to make sure that card was in the clear but it turns out that it was a different one that I had no way of identifying and now that they placed the charge and it was declined, it looks like I'm pushed back to next batch which could be any number of weeks.

Digby

Neo Member
Has anyone played Warthunder on the CV1?

Purchased the steam pack, hoping it supports the XB1 controller.

I completely disagree with the other guy. It's amazing. There's nothing out there like it. Works fine with the Xbox controller, spend some time setting up the proper controls. Left stick aeleron/elevator, right stick rudder, fill the buttons with throttle up/down, toggle flaps, gear and guns. Google blk files for Xbox controllers for other people's setups. PM me if you need help with it, the options are overwhelming.

Play RB or simulator mode. Try to unlock the early spitfires and 109's and you'll have endless fun playing with the mission editor.

n0razi

Mine came in already, sooner than I thought, and long before I could upgrade my video card with a 1080. Is it worth even installing the Rift with only a 670?

depends on the game... you want 90fps @ 1200p MINIMUM

so you will have to stick to games like windlands or basic demos

So can anyone help me with getting HL2 working? Some places say to enable VRmode from the options but that is blacked out for me.

This doesn't work anymore with the current Oculus runtime. Just never got updated. I've heard you can get it working with vorpX, but it's not the same. A real shame, that was one of my favorite experiences with the DK2.

I'm going to try out that doom VR, see if I get sick. I need to decide on vorpx, it's a lot of money but I have plenty of gamss that they say supports it. The question is is it worth it? I know the sickness part varies from person to person, how can I know if it's good for me if I can't try it first?

So far I never felt sick in VR and I have never gotten motion sickness IRL.

So anyone with a lot of experience with vorpx can you share some experiences.

I'm going to try out that doom VR, see if I get sick. I need to decide on vorpx, it's a lot of money but I have plenty of gamss that they say supports it. The question is is it worth it? I know the sickness part varies from person to person, how can I know if it's good for me if I can't try it first?

So far I never felt sick in VR and I have never gotten motion sickness IRL.

So anyone with a lot of experience with vorpx can you share some experiences.
I bought it back when it was cheaper, and it was terrible with GTAV, Fallout 4 and Skyrim. Other people probably have better experiences, but from what I got from it was that it was a bit of an annoyance to set up (it replaces .ini files with VR optimized settings so to switch back to reg monitor mode you have to revert all the things it messes with) and doesn't work that well anyway.

Best experience was with GTAV but that was using it in combination with a free mod that did most of the work.

If you want it for particular games it might be worth it to YT them to see if anyone's tested them out with VorpX to get proof that it works well with them, as I've heard it is much better out of the box for some games than others.

So what happens here with CV1. I look back at dev kit threads and posts and a million games are being played. Now CV1 comes out and nothing seems to work anymore and everyone is playing the same 30 or so games. Did all the old stuff just stop working?

So what happens here with CV1. I look back at dev kit threads and posts and a million games are being played. Now CV1 comes out and nothing seems to work anymore and everyone is playing the same 30 or so games. Did all the old stuff just stop working?

Yes. Stuff developed for the old SDK dont work with CV1.

It also helped that every dev could upload their projects on Oculus Share. Right now it seems WearVR is the way to go for these things.

I see the store gives prices in pounds in the UK now. That's a shame - Chronos is £39.99 and before it was $49.99, which would have been about £35.

Yes. Stuff developed for the old SDK dont work with CV1.

It also helped that every dev could upload their projects on Oculus Share. Right now it seems WearVR is the way to go for these things.

So disappointing. The openness to crazy demos and experiments was part of the appeal. It feels we are going backwards.

So disappointing. The openness to crazy demos and experiments was part of the appeal. It feels we are going backwards.

There is no less openness, but the old experiences simply won't work with the new drivers and Oculus Home, which is important. The changes to the drivers since the last DK2 versions are extensive.

Many of the demos you've seen were just that, and never intended to be followed up on. Some developers disappeared, and others moved on to other projects (including for the CV1). At least one of the more famous demo guys was hired by Oculus to work on similar launch software (the cinema app, AFAIK).

It all boils down to the drivers in the end. There were major revisions to how VR is handled, both on the software and hardware fronts. The DK1 and DK2 mostly had apps that relied on you being able to extend your desktop to the Rift, which is no longer possible. This is a good thing, trust me. These apps had no knowledge about the sensor in the Oculus Rift, the one that detects whether or not you're wearing it right now and pauses the game if you take it off. They had no knowledge about the ability to go directly into Oculus Home. Many wrote their own routines for chromatic aberration and IPD, and included fixes for issues that no longer exist in the final Rift. There's a bunch of stuff like this. Devs who had existing software they wished to take into Oculus Home had to write major revisions to their software to do so, but Oculus provided these devs with a stopgap SDK during the last few months before release so everything would be ready.

You want those old experiences to get updated for the final Rift? Send the developers a message and see if they are still interested. It's all up to them, not Oculus.

Thanks for the explaination. It just seemed like it was easier for non VR games to work on VR back then than it is now. I get it, let's focus on real VR experiences, that should be the focus. But experiencing games even if not meant for VR in VR is interesting and something that I really wanted to mess around with. Even at the risk of sickness.

Lettuce

So is there any peripheral you can get that can protect the lenses from getting dust and grime on them when the OR isnt in use?

Enk

makes good threads.
Thanks for the explaination. It just seemed like it was easier for non VR games to work on VR back then than it is now. I get it, let's focus on real VR experiences, that should be the focus. But experiencing games even if not meant for VR in VR is interesting and something that I really wanted to mess around with. Even at the risk of sickness.

That option is still there for people to still take advantage of in the future, it will just take a little more leg work. There's still user created content coming out now for Vive and the CV1(ex. DolphinVR, Doom), and judging from the different VR forums I read through there's plenty of user created mods and experiences brewing for the future. Even though the SDK is less open than it was before, it just makes it easier to deal with on the user end.

Side note: I wish I could play Epic Dragon again :(

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So is there any peripheral you can get that can protect the lenses from getting dust and grime on them when the OR isnt in use?
I ghetto cling film the back of the headset while I don't use it. :p Plus the cloth that comes with the headset to wipe down the lenses if need be.

There's a VR cover of some description I believe one can buy.

JambiBum

Wesker, as far as HL2 goes, there are people currently working on getting it running for the CV1 on the oculus subreddit. Last I saw was that they're close but not quite there yet.

Venfayth

After spending like 6 hours in Elite Dangerous with a HOTAS and OR and accomplishing almost nothing (read: learning many ways to do things incorrectly, getting blown up by space pirates, getting lost, learning how to use the UI) I've decided that I'm weirdly curious about training environments in VR.

NASA should put out a space mission training sim or something. I just wanna be put into specific environments. Submarine control sim.

Alright, so it was my HDMI port after all, using a HDMI-DVI adapter works fine. Whew.

That's good! Reading all the the support issues on reddit made me really worried. After the long wait I didn't also want an RMA.

Actually unsubscribed from the Oculus reddit
..so I'm counting on this thread for my news now.

vermadas

Wading through the toxicity has been frustrating that's for sure. The ratio of actual interesting news vs. doom and gloom and other fanboy bullshit is getting smaller all the time.

I'll keep trying to share stuff I see. But I'm not sure how much longer I can handle it...

Edit:

This isn't new really, but worth sharing. Darkdeus talked about a method to force supersampling in games that don't override it, using a debug tool from the 1.3.2 SDK. UploadVR now has an article talking about it.

Note that this does not work for the Climb, which runs sub-native and isn't configurable. People have attempted workarounds but no luck so far. Hopefully Crytek patches in an option to configure it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Been using my Rift all weekend, I definitely need to build my VR legs as I can only go for like an hour or so before needing a break. Quick rundown:

- Lucky's Tale is pretty damn awesome.
- Eve Valkyrie is pretty fun for an arcadey spaceflight shooter. This actually felt the most comfortable to me, looking up and around the cockpit tracking targets as I manuever around all felt like second nature.
- (Beta support) Asseto Corsa looked great in terms of the in-car modeling. Definitely some disconnect felt though when turning on a curve and looking over the shoulder at your blind spot and then looking back forward - I should get a frame counter running and see if I need to tweak the settings more.
- (Beta support) American Truck Simulator was definitely the most uncomfortable of everything I tried so far, but that also may be because I did it towards the end of a session. It shouldn't be nearly as graphically demanding as Asseto Corsa, so either the Rift support isn't quite there yet or I need to do some tweaking with the SDK (haven't installed it yet). Having one of the big UI elements floating right over the wheel in the way of the gauges and needle gauges didn't help either, need to figure out how I can move that around.

Also, if anyone uses f.lux you'll want to set that to run in Safe Mode to avoid the occasional hitching.

Wollan

Two weeks until Edge of Nowhere releases. Insomniac, do us proud!

EoN_02.jpg

1_dock.jpg

EoN_1_hang.jpg

A new version of Don't Let Go just released on WeAreVR with CV1 and Vive support. This was definitely one of my favorite things to demo on the DK2, so I can't wait to check it out.

- (Beta support) Asseto Corsa looked great in terms of the in-car modeling. Definitely some disconnect felt though when turning on a curve and looking over the shoulder at your blind spot and then looking back forward - I should get a frame counter running and see if I need to tweak the settings more.
If you move your pointer to the right once you're in the car, one of the apps is an FPS counter. Make sure AA and Post Processing are turned off, turn reflections and shadows to medium or lower. Smoke is a killer in AC, I've turned it off completely. Getting your seating position as lined-up as possible with your virtual body is very important for a natural-feeling headlook - I'm always hitting Ctrl+Space multiple times (while adjusting my head position slightly) for each car, before I drive out of the pits. I find it easiest to check by looking down at my virtual shoulders to see if they feel like my own.

- (Beta support) American Truck Simulator was definitely the most uncomfortable of everything I tried so far, but that also may be because I did it towards the end of a session. It shouldn't be nearly as graphically demanding as Asseto Corsa, so either the Rift support isn't quite there yet or I need to do some tweaking with the SDK (haven't installed it yet). Having one of the big UI elements floating right over the wheel in the way of the gauges and needle gauges didn't help either, need to figure out how I can move that around.

ATS has some frame pacing issues. They are a lot worse in VR, and I don't think it will be fixed until they move to a new graphics API (which they have said they will do, but considering how fast they roll out stuff, it will probably take years).

Also, you disable the UI thing with F3. There are some tweaks you can do in the config files to change what scale the game renders to the headset and also how it manages head movement (this might be some of the reason you felt ill). If you go to documents/american truck/profile/<some number>/config.cfg and double check that these values are set:
uset g_hmd_reduced_cabin_movement "0"
uset g_hmd_no_artifical_movement "1"

XiaNaphryz

If you move your pointer to the right once you're in the car, one of the apps is an FPS counter. Make sure AA and Post Processing are turned off, turn reflections and shadows to medium or lower. Smoke is a killer in AC, I've turned it off completely. Getting your seating position as lined-up as possible with your virtual body is very important for a natural-feeling headlook - I'm always hitting Ctrl+Space multiple times (while adjusting my head position slightly) for each car, before I drive out of the pits. I find it easiest to check by looking down at my virtual shoulders to see if they feel like my own.

How does Project Cars compare? I may pick that up down the road as well.

Wesker, as far as HL2 goes, there are people currently working on getting it running for the CV1 on the oculus subreddit. Last I saw was that they're close but not quite there yet.

Great news!

Finally got back home and messed with the rift some more. There is this U4 demo that puts you in this slow motion action scene that slowly moves you toward a giant mech. It's AMAZING!!! When we can play a game that looks and feels like that then VR will have arrived.

In my effort to find strange VR experiences I found this bad Star Wars battle of endor game, it has simple graphics and simple gameplay but man tracking ties with your eyes feels so awesome! Sense of scale is incredible too, flying above a super star destroyer is crazy. But man it's all so slow, that was the most slow escape from the Death Star ever.

Some videos are super cool like the intro to VR one, Lebron James dunked on me! I saw some shark video, got a bit nervous. Did a horror room video, couldn't finish, ring like monsters freak me out, I don't need that popping up in front of my face. I went to a virtual art museum, it's as boring as it sounds, still the potential is huge. I'm still looking for a good free roller coaster.

Nothing has made me sick yet, even stuff where I move around in game. So knock on wood it seems I am good to go with FPSs. I'll probably get Vorpx to try out my steam games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

only tried on a vive, but for me project cars looked cleaner even on low settings. AC was very 'swimmy' at medium distance. AC is also a pain until they have VR menus. It does seem a bit simpler to drive with a controller though - need a wheel but can't justify the expense just yet.

In terms of VR implementation? It's better (more complete) than AC at this stage, but considerably more demanding. If you're struggling to hold 90 in AC, you may want to hold off on PCARS until you have a faster system. That said, many people seem to be ok with playing PCARS (and AC) at a far lower framerate thanks to ATW. I can't stand it myself, but there you go. As mrklaw says, PCARS is less 'swimmy', most likely thanks to DS2X AA, which is a form of downsampling. You can achieve similar results in AC with the debug tool.

[edit] Now no longer needs debug tool, they've added an INI setting.

That's good! Reading all the the support issues on reddit made me really worried. After the long wait I didn't also want an RMA.

Hah, I found the Oculus Reddit quite cheerful compared to the official Oculus forums. People there are *so* down on Oculus all the time.

XiaNaphryz

In terms of VR implementation? It's better (more complete) than AC at this stage, but considerably more demanding. If you're struggling to hold 90 in AC, you may want to hold off on PCARS until you have a faster system. That said, many people seem to be ok with playing PCARS (and AC) at a far lower framerate thanks to ATW. I can't stand it myself, but there you go. As mrklaw says, PCARS is less 'swimmy', most likely thanks to DS2X AA, which is a form of downsampling. You can achieve similar results in AC with the debug tool.

[edit] Now no longer needs debug tool, they've added an INI setting.

Is your INI comment regarding PCars or AC?

Also, I've heard that AC is the more sim-feeling game in comparison to PCars, which is why I haven't picked it up yet as AC is better with road feel for wheel force feedback.

Is your INI comment regarding PCars or AC?

Also, I've heard that AC is the more sim-feeling game in comparison to PCars, which is why I haven't picked it up yet as AC is better with road feel for wheel force feedback.
Just after I posted, Kunos dropped 1.6.2, which includes this update: "Oculus pixel per display is now available as setting in Documents/Assetto Corsa/cfg/oculus.ini [SETTINGS] PIXEL_PER_DISPLAY" - essentially the same as using the Oculus Debug Tool from the SDK.

Both have very complex physics engines and advanced tyre models, but AC seems more realistic to me, with more believable handling across all the vehicle types and better 'over the limit' tyre characteristics. I find PCARS' FFB to be just as good as AC's, if not better, but it is let down by the overall package.

vermadas

Titans of Space 2.0 is up on the Oculus store for $7.99. Don't see it on Steam yet.

Will definitely buy. One of the best demos I played on DK1.

Just picked up a Rift at a Best Buy. It was the last one...maybe in Atlanta, haha. Got 60 bucks on my reward card too, pretty psyched. So, haven't been following the thread too closely. Besides Lucky's Tale, what is everyone's favorite game?

Peterthumpa

Just picked up a Rift at a Best Buy. It was the last one...maybe in Atlanta, haha. Got 60 bucks on my reward card too, pretty psyched. So, haven't been following the thread too closely. Besides Lucky's Tale, what is everyone's favorite game?
Chronos, The Climb and Elite are probably the other big 3 "system sellers".

Dolphin VR is awesome!!!! I am inside Zelda Wind Waker!!!! It has it's weird quirks and cutscenes suck on it but for the most part it runs great and looks super cool. I guess it could be nauseating for some but I've been fine. Going to try metroid prime next.

Titans of Space 2.0 is up on the Oculus store for $7.99. Don't see it on Steam yet.

Will definitely buy. One of the best demos I played on DK1.

Yeah, just got the emails with my key. Forgot about donating way back when. Downloading now. Easily one of the best demos.

I think Chronos is having issues with the sound, or my Rift is. It will crash after about 10 minutes, sound goes out then freezes. A restart of Oculus usually works, but not sure what the hell is the main cause. All drivers up to date ... system I know is fine power-wise.

No other applications do this. It's the one I really want to play!

Oculus just let me know that they'll cover the UPS VAT invoice I received a few days ago, which is nice. :)

I also concluded that the horror stories about the response time of Oculus support must be quite outdated. They replied to me less than an hour after I first submitted my ticket, asking for a scan of the invoice. Once I sent that, they again replied in an hour's time, telling me to wait a bit while they resolved the issue. Half a day later, I received the final reply with the necessary information I need to give UPS. Pretty snappy.

Anyone notice when you lean in to look at something up close, the display turns blurry?

I think it does that so you can't see the pixels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom