• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Climb - I may wait for Oculus Touch for this one.
Don't. I know it seems like a game where you are moving hands around would be a lot better with motion controllers, but it plays really well with aiming based on where you look and the triggers. I don't think it's going to be any better with Touch - it may in fact be worse.

Foggy

Some interesting implications if Oculus partners with Microsoft for the next console. Each partner gets the other's exclusives? Maybe a shared VR library? Inputs to use the existing headset with the console? Interesting stuff.

Don't. I know it seems like a game where you are moving hands around would be a lot better with motion controllers, but it plays really well with aiming based on where you look and the triggers. I don't think it's going to be any better with Touch - it may in fact be worse.

It also demonstrates how weird the brain is. Whenever I think back on my sessions with the Climb, I distinctly remember reaching out towards each ledge with my own hands, despite using a controller.

gdt

So today I'm back home again and can actually start playing things. What games are worth it? Will the oculus store have sales?

Looking at Chronos at least.
How meaty is The Climb?

Thinking maybe Elite Dangerous too.

So today I'm back home again and can actually start playing things. What games are worth it? Will the oculus store have sales?

How meaty is The Climb?

Oculus store has had a sale so they will have sales.

Chronos is definitely a game to pick up. Still haven't tried The Climb yet but it gets very positive talk around here.

Elite Dangerous is good and great in VR but it's a full on space simulation with a deep learning curve.

Wallach

How meaty is The Climb?

I highly recommend The Climb. I feel like in terms of "meaty" it'll depend on how much you enjoy it and whether you do any kind of replaying of levels since there are a lot of different routes and such to get through each section. Personally though I think gameplay-wise it really stands out and is probably still my favorite.

pCARS and Elite are also highly recommended though maybe more if you have the peripherals that benefit them (wheel or HOTAS). Trying to play Elite on KB/M is a mindfuck to me and I couldn't imagine. pCARS might be okay on a controller? I'd probably pass myself without a wheel. Farlands is also one I actually wound up really enjoying and still generally check back on daily, so I wouldn't overlook it.

Other stuff I'd consider checking out but less confident given personal tastes would be Pinball FX 2, Chronos, Blaze Rush, and Technolust.

They had a 25% off sale on a handful of titles a couple weeks ago, so I guess they will be doing periodic sales. Don't think anything's going at the moment.

Last night I got to try out Dark Souls 3 and Metroid Prime in VR. Dark Souls 3 took me a long time to get working and when I did get it to work with the first person mod it looked terrible. Frame rate was bad even on low settings. You can't see the hid because your FOV is so tight to simulate VR. And not being able to see your character makes it hard to fight.

All that said seeing enemies come up to you and battle you is so freaking awesome. I fought some black Knights, they rush at you which is so crazy in VR. It sort of feels like a different game when you fight them like a first person sword game. My favorite thing was fighting priests that throw fireballs, it's so easy to dodge the fire in VR by just moving your head. No way I can play the game like this but it's neat.

metroid prime was also a pain in the ass to load up but when I did it was worth it. The game looks great, runs great and feels like it's made for VR. These dolphin games are so impressive. The problem is MP1 didn't have FPS controls and that sucks majorly in VR, not being able to aim where you want. This game is super intense as well because of all the view point changes so prepare for major motion. If the Wii trilogy version works I would play the game like this.

Later I decided to just play luckys tale, in all my demoing I forgot to sit and play a game. It's a super simple platformer, would have never given it a second look without VR but man that VR makes it interesting to play.

I seem to be immune to motion sickness so I am lucky. Nothing has made me feel sick yet even the crazy movement ones and even games with horrible frame rate don't faze me.

Wallach

For those enjoying The Climb, what do you think of Jeff's complaints here? https://youtu.be/ju_Khu0Rc6Q?t=49m31s

He seemed to be genuinely struggling with the controls - the hands did seem to respond strangely at times, skipping between grabbing and not grabbing on a few occasions. Was he doing something wrong?

I feel like it definitely kind of expects you to be at a certain distance as your default point. For me the sense of where you kind of need to be in terms of depth from that point feels pretty natural though. I am not sure why he has such a tough time in this clip (but I said something similar when I watched him struggle so much with Windlands, so I wonder how much of that is the game and how much of that is Jeff).

gdt

Ok so I finally sat down and played something.

Started with Lucky's Tale and couldn't stop. It's really good and the 3D camera storybook feel is AMAZING.

And bought Technolust too.

Will probably buy Chronos and VR Desktop to have fun messing with that.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
One of my favorite little things about Lucky's Tale is the presents you find with the figurines in it. In VR they really look like little plastic toys when you examine them and it seems so real.

For those enjoying The Climb, what do you think of Jeff's complaints here? https://youtu.be/ju_Khu0Rc6Q?t=49m31s

He seemed to be genuinely struggling with the controls - the hands did seem to respond strangely at times, skipping between grabbing and not grabbing on a few occasions. Was he doing something wrong?

I think he's waiting until he can grab and then pressing the trigger. The trick is to hold the trigger and then once you're aiming it'll automatically grab once your pass the hand over by moving your head. Once I figured that out it made a huge difference.

Skenzin

Banned
Loving my RIft as well. VRgin having not tried DK1 or DK2. I'm glad this thread is active because I'm having trouble finding decent software. I look forward to trying out some these suggestions. Just some random thoughts. I can't believe VR isn't more talked about on the GAF. When it comes together its pretty incredible.

-Blaze Rush is great. Like being a kid and having matchbox cars come to life. Has a Capcom vibe to it. Scratches vehicular combat itch.

Eve Valkyrie - Don't feel like I have scratched the surface of this.But Dog Fighting in full 3d space is disorienting and vertigo inducing and its awesome. Once you acclimate to the madness its another childhood dream come true.

Luckey Tale - I think the experience is unmatched but I find it a little creepy. I enjoy it in small doses. It felt kinda strange to actually be surrounded in a Nintendo-esque world and after awhile I just have to get out. It really feels like your'e a giant, locked in small room controlling these wierd hybrid animatronic cartoon creatures. One of the first games I tried so it was overly intense.

One of my favorite little things about Lucky's Tale is the presents you find with the figurines in it. In VR they really look like little plastic toys when you examine them and it seems so real.

Yeah, I agree completely. Collectible virtual figurines in games usually feels really pointless, but I could see it being much more rewarding in VR because of the toy feel to them.

I have the headset on pretty low,so that I can't see through the nose gap ( and to see clear), but I feel like I have press the headset down with my hand to get the view more clearer. Anyone else have this issue? It's where the sweet spot is.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

And the underground sections. Probably the limited distance but everything looks a look clearer and more solid in those areas

I have the headset on pretty low,so that I can't see through the nose gap ( and to see clear), but I feel like I have press the headset down with my hand to get the view more clearer. Anyone else have this issue? It's where the sweet spot is.

Glad I'm not the only one. I don't know if it's the shape of my head/features but My nose almost sort of rubs up against the bottom of the lenses/lense holders when I position it the best. I can push the bottom of the rift outward so it's not touching my cheeks and that makes it clear but it puts more pressure on my forehead.

Vanmunt

Banned
Project cars works really well in VR with a steering wheel, seeing the contours of a track is amazing... though it does look a bit rough with my 970.

My lense fog up time and time, it's in the middle left and right of each lense. It's really annoying. I just give them a wipe and they're ok for awhile.

i was talking to a friend about the immersion facts. This whole idea that your body is tricked into being in a differnt world I have almost never felt. Maybe it's just me, but I am always aware that I am still in my room playing a video game, that might be why I don't get sick at all. When I am on my chair with a controller it's something I have been doing all my life and just cause the game now fits around my field of view doesn't mean it's different, it's just a really neat effect and who would want to have the game all around them.

This is why motion control is necessary, also standing and walking. That totally removes the familiarity with playing a game with a new perspective into now interacting with a game in ways you never did, that's true immersion.

Anyway last night I tried Sonic adventure 2 VR!!! This doesn't work as it should, the hud is missing and it's not optimized. When I started the game I appeared under the slopped street in the San Fran level, I had to raise my head to go through the street and there was sonic right in front of me! Eventually I found the camera settings and set it so I am floating above and not below. This game! Sonic levels work so well, since levels are basically giant tunnels of fast running you feel it. The other levels though, omg total shit. I need a code to unlock all levels so I just play sonic/shadow levels. This was one of my favorite things on the rift.Speaking of which, Sonic adventure 2 VR!!! This doesn't work as it should, the hud is missing and it's not optimized. When I started the game I appeared under the slopped street in the San Fran level, I had to raise my head to go through the street and there was sonic right in front of me! Eventually I found the camera settings and set it so I am floating above and not below. This game! Sonic levels work so well, since levels are basically giant tunnels of fast running you feel it. The other levels though, omg total shit. I need a code to unlock all levels so I just play sonic/shadow levels. This was one of my favorite things on the rift.

vermadas

Theme Park Studio on Steam is adding VR support in an upcoming beta, and is currently on a weeklong sale. They are currently testing VR builds for selected people that sign up for it. I bought the game and signed up after reading enough positive impressions. If I get in, I'll throw out some impressions and NoLimits2 comparisons, at least as it pertains to the VR experience.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
i was talking to a friend about the immersion facts. This whole idea that your body is tricked into being in a differnt world I have almost never felt. Maybe it's just me, but I am always aware that I am still in my room playing a video game, that might be why I don't get sick at all. When I am on my chair with a controller it's something I have been doing all my life and just cause the game now fits around my field of view doesn't mean it's different, it's just a really neat effect and who would want to have the game all around them.

This is why motion control is necessary, also standing and walking. That totally removes the familiarity with playing a game with a new perspective into now interacting with a game in ways you never did, that's true immersion.

You should spring the big bucks for a motion-controlled rig! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An9zM_RNdN8

Zalusithix

Being seated works well enough for cockpit games for immersion - after all, your virtual avatar is seated there. It's even better if your real life control method closely mimics the virtual one. A HOTAS for flying. A wheel for driving. You can even begin to ignore the HMD weight and FoV limits as being a helmet. For everything else though, yeah, being seated firmly grounds you to reality. It's even worse if your viewpoint is supposed to be from a standing position while you're seated, or vice versa. The mind notices the mismatch and goes "something is wrong here". I can actively ignore it, but it's just that. Active suppression.

That said, standing and motion controls aren't a panacea for immersion. At least not in the "damn, I forgot this isn't reality" level of immersion. With the Vive, the vast majority of the time I'm aware that what I'm viewing isn't reality. It isn't a distracting thing, but it sort of sits in the back of the conscious mind. It's like a halfway point where I know it isn't real, but I'll still be surprised when true reality creeps in (such as accidentally knocking something in real life with the controller). I'm not tempted to lean on virtual objects, as I know they aren't real. Still, I've found myself attempting to step over and under things while in Fantastic Contraption, and I'm hesitant to ever intentionally clip through "solid" objects. It's like I know it isn't real at a higher level of thought, but it's real enough that my subconscious reacts to it as if it was.

Being seated works well enough for cockpit games for immersion - after all, your virtual avatar is seated there. It's even better if your real life control method closely mimics the virtual one. A HOTAS for flying. A wheel for driving. You can even begin to ignore the HMD weight and FoV limits as being a helmet. For everything else though, yeah, being seated firmly grounds you to reality. It's even worse if your viewpoint is supposed to be from a standing position while you're seated, or vice versa. The mind notices the mismatch and goes "something is wrong here". I can actively ignore it, but it's just that. Active suppression.

That said, standing and motion controls aren't a panacea for immersion. At least not in the "damn, I forgot this isn't reality" level of immersion. With the Vive, the vast majority of the time I'm aware that what I'm viewing isn't reality. It isn't a distracting thing, but it sort of sits in the back of the conscious mind. It's like a halfway point where I know it isn't real, but I'll still be surprised when true reality creeps in (such as accidentally knocking something in real life with the controller). I'm not tempted to lean on virtual objects, as I know they aren't real. Still, I've found myself attempting to step over and under things while in Fantastic Contraption, and I'm hesitant to ever intentionally clip through "solid" objects. It's like I know it isn't real at a higher level of thought, but it's real enough that my subconscious reacts to it as if it was.

Right, I don't think we will reach like holodeck immersion anytime soon. But that feeling of ducking like something is really there has never happened to me yet.

So anyone get Doom 4 working with vorpx? I know how to make it run but my screen is far from my face, it's a floating window and it's not in cinema mode. Any tips, some online guides say create a custom resolution, I have no clue how to do that.

So, unrelated to the Rift But related to VR ... my fiance needed a new phone so we were in a T-Mobile store and they had a GearVR setup. I was looking at the watch thing and these 2 kids came in, probably 16-19ish and one put it on.

He was saying "Holy shit, man, it's is so cool, probably look stupid though. ..".

And kept saying "Whoa, probably look stupid, though".

He was in it almost the entire time we were there getting her phone setup. But he kept saying "probably look stupid, though" after every compliment to what he was seeing.

It was pretty crazy seeing the reaction of people that weren't my friends, my relatives, or people I know. Just out-in-the-wild VR.

It made me curious to see Best Buy reactions from people who randomly try it, not an appointment.

My lense fog up time and time, it's in the middle left and right of each lense. It's really annoying. I just give them a wipe and they're ok for awhile.

Reading your posts, it's sounding like you aren't wearing the headset correctly. They shouldn't be fogging up at all while you're wearing it. Make sure the triangular rear strap is in the center of your head, and there shouldn't be any pressure on your nose. The display can be angled up and down from this position to make the display clearer.

I downloaded the SteamVR Leap motion driver and tried running through the Vive setup and some of The Lab. What a weird experience. I do have to admit, it felt really good using chaperone with the Rift. A lot of stuff in The Lab was super wonky with the emulated controllers though... Touch can't come soon enough.

That's the kind of insecurity that you need to reinforce, piranha!

"Yeah man, you look incredibly stupid right now."

Ha, I my fiance was looking at me expecting me to say something. Even the guy doing the paperwork was talking about it. I said VR is the future and such but when we were in the car she was like "that's it! You were the chosen one!" (Not verbatim).

Zalusithix

So, unrelated to the Rift But related to VR ... my fiance needed a new phone so we were in a T-Mobile store and they had a GearVR setup. I was looking at the watch thing and these 2 kids came in, probably 16-19ish and one put it on.

He was saying "Holy shit, man, it's is so cool, probably look stupid though. ..".

And kept saying "Whoa, probably look stupid, though".

He was in it almost the entire time we were there getting her phone setup. But he kept saying "probably look stupid, though" after every compliment to what he was seeing.

It was pretty crazy seeing the reaction of people that weren't my friends, my relatives, or people I know. Just out-in-the-wild VR.

It made me curious to see Best Buy reactions from people who randomly try it, not an appointment.
Given the age range, I'd bet money on him walking around town staring at his phone with nary any attention being paid to his surroundings. Like half the population at this point. Or any of the other ridiculous things people do. With people doing so many things that make them look stupid in public, I really have to wonder why they care about what they look like in private at home.

vermadas

Anyone have impressions on Radial-G? Worth the price of admission? I feel like it could be really fun, if not puke inducing.

I enjoy Radial-G but it is a bit light on content. And though it's a futuristic racer I feel like it has a mediocre sense of speed. One of the big parts of the gameplay is running over boost pads, but instead of a big satisfying oomph like you'd expect, you get a barely discernible speed increase and a bland sound effect. I thought it was worth it for the $12 I got it for when it was EA but not sure about the $25 they're asking for now.

I downloaded the SteamVR Leap motion driver and tried running through the Vive setup and some of The Lab. What a weird experience. I do have to admit, it felt really good using chaperone with the Rift. A lot of stuff in The Lab was super wonky with the emulated controllers though... Touch can't come soon enough.

I still have to try this. I was hoping that the guy who did this would somehow get it to work with wiimotes or move controllers to avoid the error prone gesture controls.

Who needs roller coaster sims when you can play sonic adventure 2! Any sonic fan has to try this. Download a save file with all levels unlocked so you don't have to play any of the other stuff. It's one of the best rift experiences I have had.

gdt

Man.....Lucky's Tale ROCKS. The later levels get so much better and use cool VR tricks.

Probably gonna pick up Chronos next. Not really looking to spend that much time in a singular game right now so I'm not getting ED.

Just got done with an epic 3 hour VR session. VR Desktop kicks ass too.

Whats next on the horizon for VR? I know about Edge of Nowhere, that will probably be awesome of course.

On a side note, my glasses juuuuuust fit into the Rift, and if I move the headset on my face too much I feel like glasses moving too.....the sweetspot stays locked though. I'm thinking of ordering a cheepo pair of small frame glasses for VR use. Wire frame type or something along those lines.

Also lets be real dudes how can I try out VR porn on the Rift. I don't get what I need to do.

Most common stuff is 180 vids from places like virtualrealporn. You really need the 5 gig high def stuff for acceptable quality. You can stream off pornhub but that yields terrible results most of the time.

There are definitely a set of rules that porn makers are working out for VR. For a sense of presence male actor placement is important. I actually think acting is important to immersion as well.

It's an interesting time for porn. VR porn requires a lot more thought to do it right IMO.

Eye contact can be incredible and if someone leans over and whispers in your ear you can pretty much feel her/his presence.

kinggroin

Banned
Man.....Lucky's Tale ROCKS. The later levels get so much better and use cool VR tricks.

Probably gonna pick up Chronos next. Not really looking to spend that much time in a singular game right now so I'm not getting ED.

Just got done with an epic 3 hour VR session. VR Desktop kicks ass too.

Whats next on the horizon for VR? I know about Edge of Nowhere, that will probably be awesome of course.

On a side note, my glasses juuuuuust fit into the Rift, and if I move the headset on my face too much I feel like glasses moving too.....the sweetspot stays locked though. I'm thinking of ordering a cheepo pair of small frame glasses for VR use. Wire frame type or something along those lines.

Played Lucky's Tales. Agreed. It's now the only way I want to play a platformer.

I got a Vive, so I'm pretty jelly.

kinggroin

Banned
Lucky's Tale is like what Mario 3D Land was really aiming for. Can't wait to see what the Dev Studio does next.

For real.

The entire time I played it I couldn't stop thinking, "Why the fuck isn't Nintendo in the VR game"

Totally didnt expect third person platforming to work this well.

viveks86

Thinking of flipping my unopened rift. Starting to realize that having 2 headsets is just too much of a hassle from a storing and cabling standpoint in my apartment. Got a ton of big expenses coming up, so I could put the money to better use as well.

Will see what Oculus has to offer in gen 2.

What price is this going for right now on ebay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom