• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So I got my Vive today and so far I'm really not very impressed at all. Room scale and the controllers are definitely amazing but the headset is so uncomfortable and clunky it makes it equally as irritating as it is cool.

Somehow the headset manages to be both front heavy and back heavy due to the bulky cable constantly being pulled behind me. It's a chore to put on due to the cable as well.

The biggest issue is lack of integrated headphones which means I either gotta use the ear buds which are constantly falling out because of the strap or I need to wear my own headphones which adds more weight and another cable. I end up feeling like I'm wearing an entire helmet.

The ergonomics of the Rift are night and day better. So easy to get on and off and I barely notice it's there.

On the plus side the FOV does seem a little wider however the sweet spot is much smaller so I'm constantly having to adjust it on my face.

It doesn't help that I was getting constant tracking issues which with the Rift would mean positional tracking would break but with the Vive the screen just goes grey. That may be an issue with the way I have the lighthouses set up since I don't have walls to mount them on in my space (I live in a large loft). I'll see if I can pick up some cheap stands and hope it improves the situation.

All in all once Touch is out I feel like Rift will clearly be the superior platform.

I'm still excited to keep using the Vive for now because of the motion controllers which definitely bring things to another level but I'm undecided if I'll end up keeping it or not.

I really like the idea of Technolust but that game has a lot of problems. I'm playing the Steam version and it crashes out every time it tries to switch from one scene to the next. Also, movement is nauseating.

So I got my Vive today and so far I'm really not very impressed at all. Room scale and the controllers are definitely amazing but the headset is so uncomfortable and clunky it makes it equally as irritating as it is cool.

Somehow the headset manages to be both front heavy and back heavy due to the bulky cable constantly being pulled behind me. It's a chore to put on due to the cable as well.

The biggest issue is lack of integrated headphones which means I either gotta use the ear buds which are constantly falling out because of the strap or I need to wear my own headphones which adds more weight and another cable. I end up feeling like I'm wearing an entire helmet.

The ergonomics of the Rift are night and day better. So easy to get on and off and I barely notice it's there.

On the plus side the FOV does seem a little wider however the sweet spot is much smaller so I'm constantly having to adjust it on my face.

It doesn't help that I was getting constant tracking issues which with the Rift would mean positional tracking would break but with the Vive the screen just goes grey. That may be an issue with the way I have the lighthouses set up since I don't have walls to mount them on in my space (I live in a large loft). I'll see if I can pick up some cheap stands and hope it improves the situation.

All in all once Touch is out I feel like Rift will clearly be the superior platform.

I'm still excited to keep using the Vive for now because of the motion controllers which definitely bring things to another level but I'm undecided if I'll end up keeping it or not.

It's not a popular opinion, but I totally agree. With the Rift I can can solve the controller issue by buying Touch in a matter of months (hopefully!), but Vive is going to be stuck with the headset design issues until they release an entire new revision. That's why I stuck with the Rift.

Although I am definitely missing playing around with the motion controllers and the little new demos popping up here and there that weren't there at launch, at least there's some good, meaty seated games coming out for Rift. Plus Elite Dangerous is more than enough to keep me busy and stop it from collecting dust.

Vanmunt

Banned
It's not a popular opinion, but I totally agree. With the Rift I can can solve the controller issue by buying Touch in a matter of months (hopefully!), but Vive is going to be stuck with the headset design issues until they release an entire new revision. That's why I stuck with the Rift.

Although I am definitely missing playing around with the motion controllers and the little new demos popping up here and there that weren't there at launch, at least there's some good, meaty seated games coming out for Rift. Plus Elite Dangerous is more than enough to keep me busy and stop it from collecting dust.

I thought I would miss the room scale and the wands on the rift a lot more than I do... with being nuts deep into ED and P Cars that work amazing on the rift I haven't given it a second thought. Pretty much everyone that has tried the rift have said they would like to see their hands and I tell them it is coming soon. I do think the Vive is fantastic but the comfort, built in headphones and sweet spot on the rift is so much better.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Having used both a Vive and a Rift I echo the sentiments of StudioTan. The Rift is much more comfortable and less clunky, it has a slightly narrower FOV yes but a bigger sweet spot for the lenses.

I personally just have a Rift and it sucks not to have motion controls right now but the Oculus ones, which I've had the luck to test out, are much more intuitive than the Vive wands in my opinion with the way finger tracking works in them.

When I first got my Rift, I was able to use it from my sofa with the camera sat just next to my TV, about 5 ft away. The setup process didn't like it, so I had to do that with it closer, but after that I moved it back and it was fine.
I now seem to be getting a slight tracking issue where it seems to think the headset is moving towards and away from the camera constantly by a very tiny amount. This goes away if I bring the camera closer.
Any idea what could be causing this?

I've had the same thing - as another poster has said I think it's because of the larger distance between headset and camera.

Anecdotally it seemed slightly worse during the day as I have a window directly behind me.

This is in the living room so I can't really move the camera closer and I don't really want to bring in a chair in the middle of the room every time.

I never went through a setup program though. I may have missed it as I was swapping cables between the TV 9as a monitor) and the headset but couldn't have both.

Is there a way to re-run the setup program?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I've had the same thing - as another poster has said I think it's because of the larger distance between headset and camera.

Anecdotally it seemed slightly worse during the day as I have a window directly behind me.

This is in the living room so I can't really move the camera closer and I don't really want to bring in a chair in the middle of the room every time.

I never went through a setup program though. I may have missed it as I was swapping cables between the TV 9as a monitor) and the headset but couldn't have both.

Is there a way to re-run the setup program?

Yeah, under Settings in the desktop version of store. It might be in the VR one as well somewhere but I'm not sure.

Twice now I've experienced starting up a game and having the world "wobble" around me as I turned left and right. Turning my head about 45 degrees in either of those directions would feel slightly wrong, and about half a second later the world would start shifting smoothly away from me. Swiftly turning my head 90 degrees in either direction would make the world jump instantly away. Shaking my head back and forth was nauseating.

I have no idea what caused it, but using the "beta" function in Oculus Home to restart the drivers solved it both times.

Zalusithix

If you want to wear the ear buds without them being tugged out, route them from the front. Basically loop jack out from the back to the front. Then run the earbud plug through the opening at the front of the band up to the jack. Move each earbud to the sides and down through the loop created by the straps. If you really want to be fancy, you can route the cable itself between the foam and the headset. From there the earbuds will always be hanging ready to use when putting it on, and get tugged out when you remove it. They'll never get pulled while moving, and have no cable noise. The same system can be used for just about any earbuds.

To help with the cable weight on the back of the headset, you can push the cable through a belt loop after you have it on. Essentially making a small loop of cable to the one side of the belt loop. It'll remove all tension from the back of the headset and transfer it to your shorts/pants.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

it's unpopular? There's doubt that the Rift headset is better?

I know everyone likes to throw specs around, but man if you try them both, it's relatively clear in my mind. Sweet spot, optics, weight, comfort, ease of use.

Roomscale is damn cool though.

There's doubt that the Rift headset is better?
I've seen plenty of doubt being thrown around. Rift gets the majority of the votes for comfort, Vive gets the majority of votes for wow factor, but there are many strong opinions on both sides for which is the better headset purely in terms of display and optics performance.

Kusagari

I have both and I've definitely found the Rift more comfortable and to have an easier to find sweet spot.

I was surprised about finding it so comfortable too because of all the horror stories for glasses users, but I've had zero problems.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I have both and I've definitely found the Rift more comfortable and to have an easier to find sweet spot.

I was surprised about finding it so comfortable too because of all the horror stories for glasses users, but I've had zero problems.

My glasses are fine once I figure out the right positioning for them, but my previous frame are just a bit too wide to use comfortably despite the lenses being a bit smaller than on my current pair. I may just take the lenses out of that frame and see if I can make a foam insert with them.

vermadas

I believe it has native support. You just need to add -vr to the launch options in steam. I tried it real quick the other day and it seemed to work well enough.

I wonder if you can play all the way through it in VR though. Someone mentioned that some of the perspective based puzzles might not be possible. It's yet another game I've held off on touching (or buying) until/unless VR support is added.

it's unpopular? There's doubt that the Rift headset is better?

I know everyone likes to throw specs around, but man if you try them both, it's relatively clear in my mind. Sweet spot, optics, weight, comfort, ease of use.

Roomscale is damn cool though.

Are you guys sending out review copies of Edge of Nowhere? If so, is there an embargo time? I am probably going to buy it anyway but it'd be nice to read some reviews and impressions beforehand.

My glasses are fine once I figure out the right positioning for them, but my previous frame are just a bit too wide to use comfortably despite the lenses being a bit smaller than on my current pair. I may just take the lenses out of that frame and see if I can make a foam insert with them.

Someone created a model for a lens holder insert for the Rift:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1602460
Not sure if that's helpful.

Anybody know when the VR Lens lab things will be ready for prescription stuff? I kickstarted it but can't seem to find the date when we can order them.

if anyone doesnt have humble monthly, this month it came with a copy of keep talking and nobody explodes

hopefully a sign of more VR games to come on the service in the future

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Are you guys sending out review copies of Edge of Nowhere? If so, is there an embargo time? I am probably going to buy it anyway but it'd be nice to read some reviews and impressions

Yes. Several outlets have Been given access to near gold builds (and now the gold build) and can post reviews beginning Monday morning.

Man the first boss fight in Lucky's Tale is hard as shit. I tried finding a FAQ and couldn't find anything! Come on FAQ writers, there is an untapped market out there for VR game FAQs

Peterthumpa

Yes. Several outlets have Been given access to near gold builds (and now the gold build) and can post reviews beginning Monday morning.

Would you mind to comment how much playtime should we expect from it? That's my only "fear" for now, besides that it's an insta-buy purchase.

I beat him once but then died on the next platforming bit. Fam didn't even put a checkpoint after the boss. Dark Souls doesn't even throw that dark

Took me forever to figure out how the bombs worked

This is both the first and the last boss in the game, just so you're aware. :)

The game also ends immediately upon defeating him. There are no platforming bits afterwards. It's a boss fight in 3 stages though, with each stage requiring 3 hits upon the boss's weak points. It's pretty tough compared to what came before in the game, but it's actually pretty easy to memorize what's going on. Beating it on the first try is balls hard, but once you've seen each stage of the fight and know what's going on, it's actually pretty straightforward.

I do agree that there should have been checkpoints though, perhaps between each stage of the fight. It can be a bit tiresome to keep repeating the easy, early part of the fight before you get to the interesting part later in it.

Oh wait, I'm just talking about the 3 owl/squid? guys that throw bombs on that level that starts with Twilight. I just found a youtube video and it turns out all you have to do
is aim the bomb throw with you head

I thought it worked like this:
the arc on the bomb raised as it got closer to exploding. So you had to wait till the last moment so the arc was at it's highest and able to reach the owls. So you had to clear the first 2 bombs that got thrown pretty much at the same time. You would grab the 3rd bomb, move to an area of the island that didn't have bombs, and throw the bomb right before it exploded.

rnaud

Damn, just learned that there won't be an Oculus conference or livestream during E3. So no new info about Touch probably. I'm still excited for the games but I really want them to give us a date.

wonderpug

Neo Member
Damn, just learned that there won't be an Oculus conference or livestream during E3. So no new info about Touch probably. I'm still excited for the games but I really want them to give us a date.

I'm baffled. The Vive already has people excited about VR with motion control. Sony will be showcasing VR with motion control and getting people more excited. Oculus... hopes people remember that Touch is coming and assumes people will flock to them once they decide to start talking about it?

Fox1966

Neo Member
I received my Rift yesterday! It just missed by birthday by a few days! :D

I haven't had much time to play with it yet, but so far I am LOVING Lucky's Tale! I sure hope we have some more games like this, it just seems perfect for VR. I wasn't sure what else to get, but I've heard good things about Chronos, so I just purchased it and am downloading now. I'll check it out later tonight and on the weekend.

I would love to add some of my fellow Gaffer's to my Rift's friends list so I can experience some multiplayer things eventually (no one else I know "in real life" has a Rift). If anyone wants to add another friend, please PM me and we can swap user names :)

**Thanks Vanmunk and Enk, I sent you both friend requests. To make it easier, my Rift ID is DoctorWho21 if anyone wants to build up their friend list :)

Enk

makes good threads.
I would love to add some of my fellow Gaffer's to my Rift's friends list so I can experience some multiplayer things eventually (no one else I know "in real life" has a Rift). If anyone wants to add another friend, please PM me and we can swap user names :)

Might as well be open about it on here as my Pinball FX 2 leaderboard is looking mighty barren right now. I don't think this thread has gone through the Oculus name exchange process yet. Add me if you would like.

Oculus username: Enk

vermadas

With all the rumors swirling about it's possible they show up at MS's conference. But yeah, I'd be surprised if we got any new info about Touch release date or price.

Vanmunt

Banned
I received my Rift yesterday! It just missed by birthday by a few days! :D

I haven't had much time to play with it yet, but so far I am LOVING Lucky's Tale! I sure hope we have some more games like this, it just seems perfect for VR. I wasn't sure what else to get, but I've heard good things about Chronos, so I just purchased it and am downloading now. I'll check it out later tonight and on the weekend.

Sent

So I have been playing chronos which is geniunely a great game. The VR is superficial, all the game does is put your view at preset camera angles like an old RE game. Imagine playing old RE in VR, would that change the game, not really. It's not like Luckys tale where I instantly saw the potential of VR, saw how VR enhanced the platforming. So here it's just a neat effect but I could see this as a non VR game.

It's a shame more people won't get to play this. This is part Dark Souls part old RE. You explore old temples and battle enemies methodically like in DS. The combat is way more simple than DS but you can't let your guard down because a few hits kill you. Checkpoints are warp points scattered around the world, few of them. mostly you progress in a level hoping to open a shortcut because when you die all enemies respawn.

The hook of the game is that your character ages every time he dies, every ten years you gain a perk you can choose to help develop your character. You are also gaining exp and leveling up but the older you get the harder it is to raise strength and easier to raise magic. It's a neat system, and you will die a lot.
But the best part of the game is the exploration and puzzles. It's not Zelda quality but I appreciate needing to think. I like finding an item and having no clue where it goes. Or finding an item for some strange device you found hours earlier. There are some crazy secrets, stuff you can totally miss that can alter boss battles in huge ways, all for being observant and using your head. Its just a well designed game, the gives me that old RE feeling of just trying to navigate a maze like world while finding items and needing to use them as keys or part of puzzles.

Enk

makes good threads.
So I have been playing chronos which is geniunely a great game. The VR is superficial, all the game does is put your view at preset camera angles like an old RE game. Imagine playing old RE in VR, would that change the game, not really. It's not like Luckys tale where I instantly saw the potential of VR, saw how VR enhanced the platforming. So here it's just a neat effect but I could see this as a non VR game.

I just finished this the other day and, crashes asides, I greatly enjoyed it. It does straddle a fine line between Dark Souls and Zelda (not better than those two series but still good on its own). Combat was competently put together and I found myself dodging, parrying and blocking a lot instead of just mashing attack. I also liked bringing my character close to me from time to time to see how she gradually ages. That was a great little detail.

I'm not sure how far you are but the game does play a bit with VR in several sections. And while I do think most of this game could be made 2d and still be good I don't think it would feel the same to me. The VRness really adds a lot to the atmosphere of the game.

And what secrets did you find for the bosses? I might've missed those.

Anybody have comments on ADR1FT? It's $10 for a bit longer, I was still wondering if it's worth the price. The concept is interesting, as director Adam Orth (yes, THAT Adam Orth) basically used the way his life was destroyed by a couple of dumb tweets as a metaphor for ADR1FT's lost-in-space Gravity-themed storyline.

Enk

makes good threads.
Anybody have comments on ADR1FT? It's $10 for a bit longer, I was still wondering if it's worth the price. The concept is interesting, as director Adam Orth (yes, THAT Adam Orth) basically used the way his life was destroyed by a couple of dumb tweets as a metaphor for ADR1FT's lost-in-space Gravity-themed storyline.

It really is up to the person and how well they can handle motion sickness. I'm currently about 2 hours into it and really enjoy it. I have grown some pretty sturdy VR legs over the years so this game hasn't bothered me. Once the controls click it does give me a zen like experience of floating through space, exploring the wreckage of my space station.

Graphically the game is mostly pleasant to look at BUT even with my GTX980 I am getting framerate drops when I explore outside the station. I'm not sure if my i5 2500k has anything to do with that, but it is one of the very few games I have where the framerate dip it's noticeable. Even with those hiccups I'm enjoying the experience well enough to persevere through it.

Love the OT. What's the best way to collate oculus names? Is it ok to post publicly or could we do a quotable list or something?

Mine is the same as my gaf name anyway. Ill add the two I have spotted over the last page or so.

Edit - thought I should add some comments on games.

I got project cars up and running and I was really pleased. Some people don't like the lower res, and trying to see things in the distance, but that's not really bothered me.

First thing I did was load up a Caterham at Cadwell park and I had a massive grin on my fave as it kind of felt like being there! It's as close as you will get without being in a piston driven moving simulator!

Weirdly they don't map recentering the headset position onto any button, so you have to find it hidden in the key bindings and pick a spare one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom