• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lettuce

Setting up my Oculus and have gotten to the step in the setup process where it checks your connections, the Headset HDMI and USB all are ok but the USB senor says error. Now i have a USB 3.0 PCI-e card that i have both the USB plugs from the oculus going to the usb 3.0 pic-e card so it seems odd that the usb headset connection would give an 'ok' reading but the usb sensor has an 'error' reading.

I cannot remember what make the USB 3.0 PCI-e card is, but looking in my device manager i can see...

Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller
Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Hub
Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Root Hub

so i guess it might use the Renesas chipset. Has anyone else come across this before?

Setting up my Oculus and have gotten to the step in the setup process where it checks your connections, the Headset HDMI and USB all are ok but the USB senor says error. Now i have a USB 3.0 PCI-e card that i have both the USB plugs from the oculus going to the usb 3.0 pic-e card so it seems odd that the usb headset connection would give an 'ok' reading but the usb sensor has an 'error' reading.

I cannot remember what make the USB 3.0 PCI-e card is, but looking in my device manager i can see...

Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller
Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Hub
Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Root Hub

so i guess it might use the Renesas chipset. Has anyone else come across this before?
Make sure the USB card has up-to-date drivers, old drivers can cause this.

JambiBum

Anyone know what time games release on Home? The earlier I can play Edge of Nowhere tomorrow the better as I have stuff to do.

I just finished this the other day and, crashes asides, I greatly enjoyed it. It does straddle a fine line between Dark Souls and Zelda (not better than those two series but still good on its own). Combat was competently put together and I found myself dodging, parrying and blocking a lot instead of just mashing attack. I also liked bringing my character close to me from time to time to see how she gradually ages. That was a great little detail.

I'm not sure how far you are but the game does play a bit with VR in several sections. And while I do think most of this game could be made 2d and still be good I don't think it would feel the same to me. The VRness really adds a lot to the atmosphere of the game.

And what secrets did you find for the bosses? I might've missed those.

In the area from the beginning of the game,
you can enter the restricted area and see humans connected to computers and unplug them, each is connected to a boss

Soi-Fong

Just got ours!!! Can't wait to start integrating this stuff!!

4hSb.jpg

Peel it peel it peel it peel it peel it peel it peel it peel it

Not sure if I'm ready for Edge of Nowhere... I'm not good with scary VR stuff! Has some jump scares apparently... Insomniac why you do dis

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
What is everyone using as a stand for their oculus headset?

Right now it's just sitting on my desk, and I'd like to get something to get it off the desk and hang it properly so it doesn't get damaged...

Anyone have an idea?

hymanator

Does anyone know if the Oculus Touch would work with the DK2? I know the Oculus supports 2 cameras, but wasn't sure if it was possible to mix and match a DK2 camera with a CV1 camera at the same time.

I'm hoping I can use my DK2 for as long as possible since the resolution doesn't really bother me and I'm a bit of a cheapskate.

Does anyone know if the Oculus Touch would work with the DK2? I know the Oculus supports 2 cameras, but wasn't sure if it was possible to mix and match a DK2 camera with a CV1 camera at the same time.

I'm hoping I can use my DK2 for as long as possible since the resolution doesn't really bother me and I'm a bit of a cheapskate.
I would guess not - the Touches need to communicate with your computer somehow (for the buttons and sticks and finger positioning), and I assume the full Rift has a receiver built-in for it, since the Touch controllers don't require any extra USB ports except for the second camera.

Wallach

No they won't, the Rift headset pairs with the Touch controllers.

Dineren

Banned
I'm curious. Are any of you Rift owners voting with your wallet against exclusives and not buying Edge of Nowhere?

Not me, the main reason I bought both headsets was to guarantee I would be able to purchase any possible exclusives. I would prefer they not do it, but I don't really see anything wrong with them locking a game they funded to their headset.

Peterthumpa

I'm curious. Are any of you Rift owners voting with your wallet against exclusives and not buying Edge of Nowhere?

What? This makes zero sense. Everyone who ordered a Rift knew that Oculus was acting as a publisher for some games. This is like saying that you won't buy the next God of War when owing a PS4 because well, it's only on the PS4.

Compsiox

Banned
Not me, the main reason I bought both headsets was to guarantee I would be able to purchase any possible exclusives. I would prefer they not do it, but I don't really see anything wrong with them locking a game they funded to their headset.

Ah I see that's understandable. So how do you feel about them picking up Superhot VR which they didn't fund as an exclusive?

What is everyone using as a stand for their oculus headset?

Right now it's just sitting on my desk, and I'd like to get something to get it off the desk and hang it properly so it doesn't get damaged...

Anyone have an idea?
Best idea I've heard is using a guitar wall mount.

JambiBum

Ah I see that's understandable. So how do you feel about them picking up Superhot VR which they didn't fund as an exclusive?

That's the developers decision and not a consumers. If that's what they decide to do then so be it. It doesn't bother me at all if a developer decides to go with one headset/console/whatever you want if that's what they decide is best for them. Doesn't even matter to me if I don't own whatever thing they are exclusive to. It's a business decision that the developer feels is best for them.

Tain

Exclusivity agreements are a two-way street, and I assume the developers who make the decisions to enter them are getting what they see as good enough compensation for it. If Oculus didn't fund Superhot VR, they've surely contributed to whatever the Superhot team is working on next or helped the Superhot team in a way that the team felt was best for them.

Given that Superhot VR is at least a few months away, though, I'm guessing that Oculus is effectively partially funding the VR adaptation.

Compsiox

Banned
That's the developers decision and not a consumers. If that's what they decide to do then so be it. It doesn't bother me at all if a developer decides to go with one headset/console/whatever you want if that's what they decide is best for them. Doesn't even matter to me if I don't own whatever thing they are exclusive to. It's a business decision that the developer feels is best for them.

Large sums of money makes it easier to make choices you don't necessarily agree with. That's all I will say. You have your mind set.

Peterthumpa

Large sums of money makes it easier to make choices you don't necessarily agree with. That's all I will say. You have your mind set.

Not trying to be rude here, but have you considered having fun first? It's not like HTC / Valve are bleeding money and also VR won't disappear because of exclusives.

Tain

I'm generally pretty baffled whenever I see forumites acting as though they can handle massive decisions like this better than those working full time at the studio itself.

Nobody here has a very clear picture of 1. what the situation is at the Superhot team and 2. what Oculus offered them. But nah, the Superhot team obviously made the wrong decision.

sorry in advance for contributing to derailment

JambiBum

Yes. I believe in the open platform of PC and Im definitely against throwing money at a developer when a game is basically complete unless they are in need.

Just because SuperHot was complete that doesn't mean that it's complete for VR and you don't know if they are in need. This is my favorite thing about the discussion against exclusives, consumers don't have any idea whether or not a developer needed to sign a deal and they love to just assume that it's because of "lol moneyhats".

This is the number one reason people use against exclusives and it's also the most unsubstantiated. It's based solely on assumptions and no factual information whatsoever. It's one thing to be disappointed that a game you are interested in isn't on your platform of choice, it's another to throw baseless assumptions around about whether or not a developer needed money when you have no idea if they did one way or another.

AgeEighty

I'm generally pretty baffled whenever I see forumites acting as though they can handle massive decisions like this better than those working full time at the studio itself.

Nobody here has a very clear picture of 1. what the situation is at the Superhot team and 2. what Oculus offered them. But nah, the Superhot team obviously made the wrong decision.

sorry in advance for contributing to derailment

You haven't heard? Any one rando on GAF is better at making and marketing games than the people who do it professionally, who have far more experience and access to better information.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
How about we NOT devolve into pointless platform warrior nonsense or general whining about exclusives? The last thing I need is to deal with VR-related game or port whining on top of all the other crap we're already taking care of.

Last warning!

Compsiox

Banned
On Steam, I would say that probably for cheating. So much for PC and its open ended nature huh.

Hey that's personal. I did hack once and I regretted it more than anything. I've pledged to never do it again. I almost spoiled the fun of my favorite game ever, Rust. I felt horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom