• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaaaa0

Adr1ft is 50% off on Steam.

Worth it?

Oh god. I bought it because, heck, it's $9.99. How bad could the nausea be?

I made it about 45 minutes in before I had to stop or barf. Drinking ginger tea and lying down now. Worst reaction to VR so far, and I think I'm normally pretty tolerant.

Game is worth every penny so far though.

I made it about 45 minutes in before I had to stop or barf. Drinking ginger tea and lying down now. Worst reaction to VR so far, and I think I'm normally pretty tolerant.

The game does demand that you're a little careful in how you move, and it's definitely worst in the beginning as you're getting used to it. After a while it stops being a problem though, especially if you avoid doing barrel rolls or quick turns. Just be calm and patient in your movements, and you'll be fine.

You have it in theater mode. Hit delete to bring up the menu and put it into VR mode. You will need to play with settings to get games to feel right. Search for settings.

I did that, as per the program's instructions. I don't remember what the other mode is called (don't think it's "VR"), but I definitely changed it off of theater mode to the other name on that setting. That's the one I described as "press your face against the TV" mode. It's still rendering the same flat screen, it just puts your virtual face so close to it that it's hard to tell.

I haven't seen full 360 degree rendering and head tracking, like a real VR supported game, photo or video, in any Vorpx title. Is that not possible, or do I just have a handful of poorly supported games? I've fiddled with every setting I see.

Lol. Can't wait. 505 games sent me an Oculus Code today.

robotrock

Banned
Adrift is not running very nicely in VR on my system. Can be very choppy.

There also doesn't seem to be graphics options unless I go to desktop mode, but I don't even know if desktop mode changes apply to VR mode.

Dineren

Banned
I've heard Elite can be a pretty shallow game, but it is a pretty amazing VR experience. I've owned it since launch, but never put much time into until recently and it has been a blast. I just bought a vehicle to deploy and driving around some of the planets almost feels like a rollercoaster with as much as the vehicle is getting thrown around.

I still don't have a clue what I'm doing, but it is fun to fly and drive around.

tenchir

Adr1ft is 50% off on Steam.

Worth it?

I bought it on steam and emailed 595games for an oculus key. I must have some messed up sense of balance or something because I haven't encounter a game yet that made me feel the slightest amount motion sickness.

Adr1ft is pretty hard on me, too. Haven't been bothered by any other game so far.

I think it's more due to the fact that I'm inside of a suit, looking around and the suit's visual direction only changes when I use the controller, that combined with the suit's tendency to rotate (especially during the sequences where you aren't in direct control) is kind of a problem for me.

I don't feel that way in Subnautica, where my direction is influenced by where I'm looking. That feels more natural to me than how things work in Adr1ft.

Got my Rift last night - felt like a long road since Jan 6th when I pre-ordered it!

Is there a Gaf friends list so I can at least add some people? (I know there is not a lot of integration yet).

Looking forwards to trying blazerush, and more luckey's tale. Based on comments here I might pick up Adr1ft in the sale too.

Does anyone routinely use their headset a few feet away from the camera? Mine is probably 4 feet or so and occasionally everything moves slightly closer, or slightly further away, as if the distance tracking is getting overly sensitive?

I bought it on steam and emailed 595games for an oculus key. I must have some messed up sense of balance or something because I haven't encounter a game yet that made me feel the slightest amount motion sickness.

I played it last night and it's the first game that has really made me feel anything. It's beautiful but kind of dull at times. I wish there was more to explore and less of a reliance on the canister gimmick.

Do you like "walking simulators"? Adr1ft is one of them, albeit in space. And get ready for one of the most inducing motion sickness game out for the Rift.

Besides that, yeah, I think it's worth it. Presentation is phenomenal and you basically feel like Sandra Bullock but way uglier since well, you're not Sandra Bullock.

I did that, as per the program's instructions. I don't remember what the other mode is called (don't think it's "VR"), but I definitely changed it off of theater mode to the other name on that setting. That's the one I described as "press your face against the TV" mode. It's still rendering the same flat screen, it just puts your virtual face so close to it that it's hard to tell.

I haven't seen full 360 degree rendering and head tracking, like a real VR supported game, photo or video, in any Vorpx title. Is that not possible, or do I just have a handful of poorly supported games? I've fiddled with every setting I see.

Nope sorry vorpx doesn't do that. It just sticks the screen in your face and wraps the edges around, you control the camera with your head. It's not true VR but it works on FPSs well enough.

Dolphin VR does that though, I don't know what voodoo magic they used. But only a few games actually work well.

I finished Lucky's tale and wrote a review on another site. I'll paste it here:

Lucky’s Tale is a simple 3D platformer that is free for all oculus users and serves as a great showcase for how VR can enhance a gaming experience. It is disappointing how short and how basic the platforming is but there were enough hints of greatness and the potential for future platformers in VR is immense.

Lucky is a very basic platformer, you can double jump, spin your tail as your main attack and do a butt stomp, that's your whole move set. There are no power ups, no vehicles or any kind of devices that change who you play as. All you do is hop around a simple world. It's basic but controls very well and it's fundamentally a sound platformer. Jumping in VR makes judging distances easier which allows for some great precise platforming sections, sadly there are just too few of those moments.

If this was not in VR there would be no real reason to play this but VR makes this experience well worth playing. It's hard to describe in words how effective being in the world makes even the most mundane of platforming exciting. Plus the way you are the camera and you need to lean in and out to find hidden objects and sometimes lean a certain way for a better angle makes the player a part of the action in ways we have never experienced before. I was amazed at how you can see most of the level when you look out to the distance of sometimes look to your right or left. Simple things like switches that make walls turn and spin are awe inducing when that wall is massive in front of you and it opens toward your face. Floating platforms in air feel like floating platforms in air that float in front of you. These are all things we have seen in normal 3D platformers but I have never FELT like I was seeing a world in this way before. Maybe if you played Mario 3D land and enjoyed how the 3D enhanced the experience, take that and multiply that by a 100, that's what VR brings to platformers.

This game is super short, just 12 levels that can be beat in about an hour or two if you speed through them. Each level has a time attack mode and a find the red coins mode. The red coins aren't like hidden objects in a Mario level that are well hidden as you play the level. Here the game populates the level with red coins that beep if you are near them, so you run through the level again and look for red coins that are usually just hiding behind objects or corners, not that interesting. Time attack isn't the usual find your own path time attack, instead you have to hit gems in order meaning you must follow the path the game sets for you leaving out any creative path finding.

The potential for a really great platformer is there. The controls and feel is top notch so once that base is there all that is needed is great level design and variety. Well there are hints of great level design at moments, especially in later levels one of which uses bombs which you aim with your head to great use. But Lucky’s Tale never goes the extra step, it never gets too challenging, it never uses its VR tech in creative ways; basically what you see in the first level is what you get for the rest of the short game. A sequel needs to happen that expands the scope greatly too add gameplay variety, power ups, more bosses, basically everything that goes into a great platformer.

Speaking of bosses there is only one proper boss and it's excellent! It's a giant octopus like creature that sits in the background and it's tentacles come out at your face. Lucky is on a line of platforms in front of you so you need to keep your eyes on the tentacles which are in front and on the sides while jumping on these platforms that start moving. You need to move your head to keep track of where the attacks are coming from and to throw bombs at the boss. It's a spectacular showcase of how VR can create an amazing boss battle even out of something that is simple.

Lucky's Tale is a great intro to VR. It runs perfectly, looks great, and it's easy to pick up and play. If you know 3D platformers you will immediately see and feel what VR adds to the genre. Sadly though this is a super simple platformer, if it wasn't free I wouldn't be able to recommended it. It feels more like a test game than a full game, it's still good but could be so much more.

Score: 6.5

War Eagle

So I have a question.

My USB 3.0 ports are incompatible with the Rift's sensor. I knew this going in and ordered a compatible USB 3.0 port to switch it out. However, I got the Rift before the new USB 3.0 and other than receiving the error saying the sensor is incompatible, it seems to work perfectly fine.

Am I missing something here? Am I getting a subpar experience? I have no judder and everything is as smooth as butter. Also, I do not get any error with the headset's USB cable in the same USB 3.0 ports.

Dineren

Banned
So I have a question.

My USB 3.0 ports are incompatible with the Rift's sensor. I knew this going in and ordered a compatible USB 3.0 port to switch it out. However, I got the Rift before the new USB 3.0 and other than receiving the error saying the sensor is incompatible, it seems to work perfectly fine.

Am I missing something here? Am I getting a subpar experience? I have no judder and everything is as smooth as butter. Also, I do not get any error with the headset's USB cable in the same USB 3.0 ports.

If I remember right the compatibility check was just a list of chipsets they've tested against. If it wasn't on their whitelist it would fail the check even if it would work fine. I wouldn't worry about it if it is working fine for you.

War Eagle

If I remember right the compatibility check was just a list of chipsets they've tested against. If it wasn't on their whitelist it would fail the check even if it would work fine. I wouldn't worry about it if it is working fine for you.

Awesome... so I will go ahead and return the new USB port. Is there anyway to disable the error notification?

Nope sorry vorpx doesn't do that. It just sticks the screen in your face and wraps the edges around, you control the camera with your head. It's not true VR but it works on FPSs well enough.

Dolphin VR does that though, I don't know what voodoo magic they used. But only a few games actually work well.

I'm interested in VorpX, and I saw a few videos like this one and this one (where the guy says there is positional tracking)
and as someone who has never tried VR in any form, to me they look no different than every made-for-VR game.
What's the difference? Why is it not "true VR"? Will I want my money back if I buy it?

Tain

Pinball FX2 seemed kinda neat when I tried a friend's copy when he got his Rift but I haven't bought it for mine yet.

I need TPA. The good shit. And if Star Trek is one of the first Stern TPA games, I'll buy that ASAP.

Wallach

Pinball FX2 seemed kinda neat when I tried a friend's copy when he got his Rift but I haven't bought it for mine yet.

I need TPA. The good shit. And if Star Trek is one of the first Stern TPA games, I'll buy that ASAP.

Yeah, Pinball FX2 shows that it is a fucking rad experience, but I'm not crazy about any of the tables in there currently. It's not expensive but I'd definitely be all over some real tables. Stern has the LotR table, right?

Tain

Yup! I'm really hoping to see that one, too. And Tron. It looks like they're giving Star Trek a premium price, but at least that gives me hope that we'll see the bigger licenses.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
just to clarify the version out today is the GearVR version , Rift,Vive,PSVR version this fall..in Farsight speak..sometime before this time next year

just to temper expectations :)
I'm not interested in this cut down game at all, though, I'm waiting for The Pinball Arcade, full version, that they announced a year ago.

When I first got my Rift, I was able to use it from my sofa with the camera sat just next to my TV, about 5 ft away. The setup process didn't like it, so I had to do that with it closer, but after that I moved it back and it was fine.
I now seem to be getting a slight tracking issue where it seems to think the headset is moving towards and away from the camera constantly by a very tiny amount. This goes away if I bring the camera closer.
Any idea what could be causing this?

vermadas

When I first got my Rift, I was able to use it from my sofa with the camera sat just next to my TV, about 5 ft away. The setup process didn't like it, so I had to do that with it closer, but after that I moved it back and it was fine.
I now seem to be getting a slight tracking issue where it seems to think the headset is moving towards and away from the camera constantly by a very tiny amount. This goes away if I bring the camera closer.
Any idea what could be causing this?

I've had this a couple times. It's a very slight wobble that I only notice if my head is completely still in a static environment like Oculus Home. And I did the same with my sensor setup. I set it up as far away as it would let me without complaining, which is a couple feet closer than my sitting position.

This is testing the limits of the constellation tracking. As you get further away from the sensor it gets harder for it to detect minute movement of the IR LEDs. A second sensor should help with the issue.

I've had this a couple times. It's a very slight wobble that I only notice if my head is completely still in a static environment like Oculus Home. And I did the same with my sensor setup. I set it up as far away as it would let me without complaining, which is a couple feet closer than my sitting position.

This is testing the limits of the constellation tracking. As you get further away from the sensor it gets harder for it to detect minute movement of the IR LEDs. A second sensor should help with the issue.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I did get similar wobbles, albeit a bit more pronounced, with the Vive at the extremes when I was having a sensor mysteriously disconnect.

I cancelled my pre-order. I still believe in the tech, but what's available currently does not justify the early adopter premium, for me at least.

I'm interested in VorpX, and I saw a few videos like this one and this one (where the guy says there is positional tracking)
and as someone who has never tried VR in any form, to me they look no different than every made-for-VR game.
What's the difference? Why is it not "true VR"? Will I want my money back if I buy it?

When I say true VR I mean games made for VR where you can lean in, where it feels you are in the virtual space and not just the screen on your face. Does any of that matter for first person games, not really, you aren't independent of the camera in FPS, you don't need to lean in or out just move like you would with the sticks. But it also won't feel great as I can't think of anyone who has made a FPS from the ground up where you can walk around like normal for VR because people can get sick. These games aren't made for VR so you move like you would in a normal game so it could be intense. Still when it works it works super well.

Fuck.

I forgot to cancel my order. It's arrives tomorrow D:

Oh well...

Do you know what your estimated shipping date was?

I cancelled my pre-order. I still believe in the tech, but what's available currently does not justify the early adopter premium, for me at least.

I'm totally cool with whats available at the moment content wise, but in terms of how Oculus have gone about everything since pre-orders went up, they've dropped the ball at every opportunity to the point of pushing me to cancel my order on Monday if they don't ship it out by then.

When I say true VR I mean games made for VR where you can lean in, where it feels you are in the virtual space and not just the screen on your face. Does any of that matter for first person games, not really, you aren't independent of the camera in FPS, you don't need to lean in or out just move like you would with the sticks. But it also won't feel great as I can't think of anyone who has made a FPS from the ground up where you can walk around like normal for VR because people can get sick. These games aren't made for VR so you move like you would in a normal game so it could be intense. Still when it works it works super well.

I think I got it. Thanks for the explanation.
I'll probably buy VorpX when my rift arrives, I just wish there was a demo or a trial I could try first.

harSon

Banned
Do you know what your estimated shipping date was?

I'm totally cool with whats available at the moment content wise, but in terms of how Oculus have gone about everything since pre-orders went up, they've dropped the ball at every opportunity to the point of pushing me to cancel my order on Monday if they don't ship it out by then.

Pretty sure it was late June, which is why I had procrastinated canceling my order :{

Oculus website says this though:

ZOygzf3.png

Enordash

I always forget how versatile the artists at Insomniac are. They usually put out colorful stuff, but the artwork in Resistance and now Edge of Nowhere can be quite disturbing. It's pretty damn amazing stuff.

I'm just hoping I can withstand the disturbing/horror side of it. I suck enough with normal horror games, lol.

Wallach

Obduction should be pretty amazing, glad Oculus support will be there from launch.

Have they announced a price for Edge of Nowhere? I'm guessing ~50 smackers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom