• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might be a stupid question, but I already own the newer model Xbox One controller with built in Bluetooth. Can I continue to use that controller via Bluetooth with the Rift, or does it have to be connected via the Xbox wireless adapter? I know the Rift comes with a controller + adapter, but if I could just continue to use my current one via Bluetooth to keep one of my USB ports free I'd like to.

rtcn63

This price definitely has me interested in finally jumping on the VR hypetrain... but I don't own a gaming PC, however.

Are there any recommendations for cheap gaming PCs that work with Oculus or a list of parts I would need? I'm not against building one I just don't really know where to start.

This is actually a terrible time to buy PC parts. High ram prices + GPU shortages/price gouging due to the cryptocurrency boom.

Zalusithix

This might be a stupid question, but I already own the newer model Xbox One controller with built in Bluetooth. Can I continue to use that controller via Bluetooth with the Rift, or does it have to be connected via the Xbox wireless adapter? I know the Rift comes with a controller + adapter, but if I could just continue to use my current one via Bluetooth to keep one of my USB ports free I'd like to.

In your case, you don't need the controller packed with the Rift at all. Just use your current BT one. An Xbox controller is an Xbox controller to a game. Xinput is Xinput.

Debating if I should take the chance to move from a PSVR to this. I've got a GTX 1070 in my PC and everything else is good to go for VR. Selling the headset, camera and games would basically mean converting one headset into another.

My concern is losing out on Sony's first party. While the ability to play even more games than will ever be available on PlayStation is tempting, I don't know how I feel about losing out on being able to play The Inpatient and any other impending exclusivity deals like what happened with Resident Evil and Skyrim. A big deal, considering how RE7 remains my GOTY.

Zalusithix

Finally the Oculus thread on GAF will be bigger than a microchip.

24 pages not good enough for you? ;)

It's worth mentioning to all the new Rift owners though that the Vive thread is as much of a SteamVR thread as it is a thread for the Vive itself. If you're looking for impressions for stuff on Steam, there's going to be far more conversation happening there.

Jzero

Setting mine up and it's not very comfy with my Ray-Ban glasses. Maybe it works better with smaller glasses.

low-G

While this is kind of tempting, there's just too many niggling things that add up for me.

1) VR isn't comfortable for those with glasses, and some in the thread have stated the Rift is one of the worst offenders.

I have huge frames (Eddie Bauer) and the Oculus is perfectly comfortable for hours at a time. Still not ideal though (mostly that it's more difficult to take off and put on; now I can do it in about 20 seconds though).

2) Lack of deep games. I've seen some games that look neat, but very few exclusives that I think would hook me for a long time. Stuff like Elite: Dangerous is neat, but I can already play that in non-VR.

This is true. I've always preferred arcade-style gameplay. If you really want games with long playtimes, like RPGs, you'll probably be ultimately disappointed (for a while).

3) Clunky locomotion. It's clear that VR is still in its infancy, with things like teleporting to move being a prime example. Considering your viewpoint is literally strapped to your head, this seems like a really poor solution. Until things like Lone Echo are the norm and not the exception, VR will feel gimmicky.

I don't think anything about any of these locomotion systems makes VR feel gimmicky. It feels amazing, pretty much all of the time.

4) Software pricing. Because there's only so many headsets out there, developers are needing to get more per consumer than normal. This leads to games that, being honest, would struggle to ask $15, now being sold at $40 -- and almost never going on sale. As a consumer, it's rough to already have paid hundreds of dollars on top of owning a gaming machine, only to be asked to pay a giant premium once again.

Personally I haven't bought a single VR game for $40. It's all been cheaper than that on sales. For that matter, we have 8 hour long games like Arizona Sunshine that have coop and survival modes to boot that go on sale for significantly less than $40...

Additionally, while if some titles that sell for $20 might sell for significantly less if they were 2D games. They're not 2D games, and they definitely make much more of an impression for that reason. I don't think you can directly compare VR and non-VR titles...

5) Gen 2 is inevitable. While current VR is impressive, it still has its issues. The screen-door effect can hamper immersion in a technology almost exclusively devoted to that idea. And having a bulky headset with a bunch of wires on it isn't ideal either. Both will be addressed in later revisions, leaving early adopters with a sub-ideal experience in order to get ground-floor access.

I've never had my immersion even a little hampered by screen-door effect (god rays is much, much worse). The wires are not ideal, but I think bigger things could be gained from more advanced optics and of course future screen tech.

enewtabie

Haven't hit the buy button..So close to doing it..Did the setup tool or whatever and my pc will handle everything(I didn't doubt it would but wanted to make sure I didn't need anything) Been wanting a Vive at some point,but this value just seems too good to pass up.

rtcn63

Dumbass question: Does the Rift cut into your skin/scalp when worn? I'm paranoid about that because I'm pretty ugly as is.

closer013

Haven't hit the buy button..So close to doing it..Did the setup tool or whatever and my pc will handle everything(I didn't doubt it would but wanted to make sure I didn't need anything) Been wanting a Vive at some point,but this value just seems too good to pass up.

I'm there with you, I wanted a Vive but this price was too good to pass up. Had I knew the deal was available on Amazon I would have done that though...

Soi-Fong

Trust me. At this price, it's a no brainer compared to the Vive.

Dumbass question: Does the Rift cut into your skin/scalp when worn? I'm paranoid about that because I'm pretty ugly as is.

Not in any way shape or form. The Rift is comfy!

I just bought a new monitor or else I would be very interested. Oh well, I'll wait for the second-gen headsets from both Oculus and HTC. By then I'll have upgraded my GPU as well.

Chumley

Banned
I don't get the "it just collects dust" crowd. Shit like Robo Recall is something I'd turn on at least once a week to just not be sitting down all the time when playing games. You get to stand up and tear robots apart with your hands, its rad.

A 1060 is what Oculus recommends. It's pretty close to a 970 performance wise. A 1070 is between a 980 and 980Ti. A 1080 is slightly above a 980Ti. Etc.
970s are getting pretty rare now unless you buy second hand which is still an option, but a 970 won't give you the best OR experience anyway.
Lol what? The 1070 is a 980ti perf wise. A 1080 stompa it.

Exuro

It's foam so no, though I personally dislike the rift headset due to the pressure it puts on my temples.

Exuro

Do you have a big head? What shape?
It is bigger than average. My forehead isn't as narrow as what the rift contours to and I have to release the side straps completely but even then after a while the pressure to my temples makes me a little dizzy. Don't know the exact shape/size, never cared to check that out.

Tain

I don't get the "it just collects dust" crowd. Shit like Robo Recall is something I'd turn on at least once a week to just not be sitting down all the time when playing games. You get to stand up and tear robots apart with your hands, its rad.

reloading a shotgun by throwing it behind you at some robot and then catching it >>>>

charpunk

I think this is the first time I haven’t gotten mad about huge price cuts being an early adopter. Getting headsets to more people is super rad and I’m glad they are doing this.

Plus having more people to kick my ass in echo arena is great!

Bookoo

Eh, I can understand because I am sort of one of them. I am sort of sick of arcade shooters so those games don't hold my attention for all that long. That said I have a bunch of games I haven't put more than an hour or so into so I do plan to go back at some point.

I started playing it a bit more when my friend got one, but other than that I tend to only play the big Oculus or Ubisoft releases and these are normally short or the MP fades.

The one that is the most exciting for me now is Echo Arena because as long as the player base stays around I can see myself coming back to that day after day.

Soi-Fong

I think this is the first time I haven’t gotten mad about huge price cuts being an early adopter. Getting headsets to more people is super rad and I’m glad they are doing this.

Get in on that Star Trek Bridge Crew yo!!!

Zalusithix

I imagine the only people that could be upset right now are those that recently bought a headset. Personally, I've been on this train for over a year now. No skin off my back if somebody can get in at half my buy in price. This past year has been priceless to me. Getting to experience the evolution from the first launch games to what we have now is what being an early adopter of new tech is all about.

That said, I don't think VR is ready for the mass market right now even with price reductions like this. It's great for people that enjoy being on the front lines of new tech but couldn't previously afford it though.

VICI0US

wow that's an amazing price. I'm probably going to end up selling the PSVR that I won from taco bell and using the funds to upgrade to the rift.

how does all the free software work? are download codes included in the bundle or are the games just free to "purchase" through the oculus store right now?

Jzero

Minecraft is usually pretty lame but it's kind of awesome in VR. It totally reminded me of my DMT trip. Downloading a bunch of other shit as well.

Exuro

wow that's an amazing price. I'm probably going to end up selling the PSVR that I won from taco bell and using the funds to upgrade to the rift.

how does all the free software work? are download codes included in the bundle or are the games just free to "purchase" through the oculus store right now?
When you hook up your rift/touch it'll unlock them on your account.

Fucking impulses
YJkcbow.jpg

Now. Go get Elite Dangerous and SUPERHOT.

theRizzle

I feel like I'd need to get my head checked to not grab one at this price. I had been on the fence for a few weeks at $818 CAD... it's pretty much a no-brainer at $549.

I mean, if I didn't already have the PC I probably wouldn't think it was that good of a deal, but this is pretty much the same price as PSVR.

Wonder how long it'll take to get here.

jrcbandit

A friend of mine told me American Express is offering $30 off $200 or 300+ purchases, which the Rift will qualify for. Well I assume it is a $30 credit to your account once the return period of 30 days passes.

BTW, what are the best PC VR games that aren't available on PSVR? I might get Superhot VR on Oculus since I assume the control scheme will be much better. I got the Best Buy bundle that is the 7 free games plus Eve Valkyrie. I already own Subnautica and Obduction and downloaded Google Earth VR. I put Raw Data, Star Trek Bridge Crew, and Rick and Morty on my Steam wishlist so far. I don't think my Oculus will be in stock until Thursday or Friday though :(.

Attn new and old Rift owners looking to pad their Rift Friends List. My Oculus name is SpecialBlend. Feel free to add me. Also, Id buy StarTrek BC if I could find a crew to play with.

rtcn63

Regarding space, if I have enough room to stand and stretch my arms (plus maybe like a foot), is that enough for standing experiences with the Touch?

Dezzy

So, where is my Eve Valkyrie? It shows it on the receipt but there's no code or anything. If it matters, I had to do a return/repurchase to get the new deal, since I bought a Rift just a few days ago already. (Best Buy, btw.)

This sale is dumb and I hate it, because it made me buy something I don't need, but I have wanted since I heard about VR.

I really wanted a Vive (Valve/No Luckey) but at this price point, screw it.

I'm nervous about having buyers remorse because the new valve controllers coming look way better.

kinggroin

Banned
This sale is dumb and I hate it, because it made me buy something I don't need, but I have wanted since I heard about VR.

I'm nervous about having buyers remorse because the new valve controllers coming look way better.

Plus wireless is available now as an option. And the new head mount with built in quality headphones.

Look, I'm just teasing. If you get the Rift, and later on want the Vive, you could probably recoup what you spent considering how big a discount this is.

Jump in, and don't feel regret. And make sure to join a quality VR forum a that you know what to buy (GAF kind of sucks for VR community stuff). I recommend the biggest Oculus or Vive Reddit ones.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member

Looks like oculus nailed the price point.

Now ask yourself...how much buyers remorse you'd have spending twice as much for basically a similar experience.

jrcbandit

Those controllers might not be out until late 2018 or 2019, they are still in the prototyping stage. Earliest would be March 2018 IMO, which is a ways off.

Also, do people really want wireless headsets at this early stage with the current limitations in technology? It would make the headset heavier, much hotter, likely a very short battery life, and will introduce some lag. A lag-free, long battery life headset, give me!

kinggroin

Banned
Looks like oculus nailed the price point.

Now ask yourself...how much buyers remorse you'd have spending twice as much for basically a similar experience.

Zero remorse because he literally just said, at that price point, screw it.

And yes, Oculus definitely nailed the price point.

Those controllers might not be out until late 2018 or 2019, they are still in the prototyping stage. Earliest would be March 2018 IMO, which is a ways off.

Also, do people really want wireless headsets at this early stage with the current limitations in technology? It would make the headset heavier, much hotter, likely a very short battery life, and will introduce some lag. A lag-free, long battery life headset, give me!

To be fair, your arguments against wireless aren't far off from the kind of stuff people leverage against VR in general. Why spend the money on gen 1 consumer?

The TPcast and Intel equivalent are actually very impressive kits that no person with a Vive would pass up over staying corded. Don't downplay them.

And the lag isn't noticeable whatsoever (2ms officially).

kinggroin

Banned
Oh yea, finally getting to use my collection of VRP. Looks much better than on phone VR 🤤

You're going to be absolutely blown away.

I HIGHLY recommend dropping the extra $60 for roomscale support though. Especially if you're planning to shop in the Steam VR store. A LOT of amazing games will need that third camera to properly deliver their experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom