• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attn new and old Rift owners looking to pad their Rift Friends List. My Oculus name is SpecialBlend. Feel free to add me. Also, Id buy StarTrek BC if I could find a crew to play with.

1. Part of the fun of ST:BC is getting thrown in with a random group who don't know what they're doing. I've had maybe... 2 bad experiences in all of the groups I've been in? One of those was a guy who was really obviously trolling, and thought he was clever: torpedoes kept firing at random times, and he claimed that it was "bugging out." Since I was the Captain (who sits behind everyone else), I could see his hand moving down to the firing button and called him out on it. Apparently he forgot that VR shows your movements! :)

2. I believe there's a pretty sizable Discord community for getting ST:B crews together.

drotahorror

I was so tempted by this. Think I'll wait for the next wave of VR devices though. At the moment in my living situation it would be too cumbersome. Great deal for those interested though, I'm jealous for sure.

Since I was the Captain (who sits behind everyone else), I could see his hand moving down to the firing button and called him out on it. Apparently he forgot that VR shows your movements! :)

That actually sounds hilarious. As he's reaching.. "DONT DO IT, I SEE YOU"

So tempting! Was looking to get the PSVR, but this price is really good! I'm sure I have some stuff lying around to trade in at Best Buy so I don't have to drop down $400+.

I got rid of my PS VR for the terrible resolution and list of games, is the Rift noticeably better in this regard?

The other thing is my PC is running a RX570 4gb and G4560 CPU. I'm guessing I may have to get an i5 6600 or 7600 but what about my GPU? Is my CPU somehow miraculously okay?

I got rid of my PS VR for the terrible resolution and list of games, is the Rift noticeably better in this regard?

The other thing is my PC is running a RX570 4gb and G4560 CPU. I'm guessing I may have to get an i5 6600 or 7600 but what about my GPU? Is my CPU somehow miraculously okay?

I believe Oculus and Vive have had their minimum requirements lowered for the GPU. Minimum now is GTX960. If your 570 is an AIO, no reason why not!

btrboyev

GPU is fine. Not sure what the CPU even is

It's basically the recommended budget CPU for this gen. I guess he's worried it'll have a hard time hitting 90fps, which makes sense.

Someone on the oculus reddit says a G4560 + RX470 is okay. https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/67o2tl/anyone_using_a_pentium_g4560/

Apparently there is a VR benchmark I can run according to one of the posts in the link. Will run that when I get home.

For those asking, here are some benchmarks of the G4560. http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Intel-Pentium-G4560/Rating/3892

It's a 3.5ghz kaby lake dual core with HP.

Jzero

Played 10 minutes of Robot Recall and this thing looks promising. Can't wait to play more. The touch controllers are what makes this good though, I feel sorry for anyone that bought it before then.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
A friend of mine told me American Express is offering $30 off $200 or 300+ purchases, which the Rift will qualify for. Well I assume it is a $30 credit to your account once the return period of 30 days passes.

BTW, what are the best PC VR games that aren't available on PSVR? I might get Superhot VR on Oculus since I assume the control scheme will be much better. I got the Best Buy bundle that is the 7 free games plus Eve Valkyrie. I already own Subnautica and Obduction and downloaded Google Earth VR. I put Raw Data, Star Trek Bridge Crew, and Rick and Morty on my Steam wishlist so far. I don't think my Oculus will be in stock until Thursday or Friday though :(.

Many of the multiplatform stuffs are better on the Rift version than the PSVR versions in various ways (better graphic, more features), like Job Simulator, Special Delivery, Fantastic Contraption etc.

Start with the Oculus exclusives, it seems they are of the highest qualities around. Then head to SteamVR and check out these titles.

Serious Sam VR The First Encounter
Serious Sam VR: The Second Encounter
Audioshield
Sairento VR
VINDICTA
To The Top
Twisted Arrow
Rec Room
Accounting (free experience)
Pierhead Arcade (a virtual arcade)
FORM
Waltz of the Wizard (free)
Soundboxing
Google Earth VR
Tilt Brush
Climbey
Cosmic Trip
Dead Secret
Richie's Plank Experience
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Elite Dangerous
Dead Secret
Vanishing Realms
Assetta Corsa (racing)
Project Cars 2 (racing)
Ghost Town Mine Ride & Shootin (its like Rush of Blood on PSVR)
A Chair in the Room (horror)

In future:
Payday 2 VR
Budget Cut
Just in Time Incorporated (later this month)
Dead Secret Circle
The Red Stare

BriGuy

It's tempting, but I've already got a PSVR I haven't used in six months just because of what a pain in the ass it is to set up. The USB requirements alone make it sound like it's going to be a jungle of cords and shit to trip over. Is it really worth it, or should I wait for some more quality of life improvements first?

rtcn63

It's tempting, but I've already got a PSVR I haven't used in six months just because of what a pain in the ass it is to set up. The USB requirements alone make it sound like it's going to be a jungle of cords and shit to trip over. Is it really worth it, or should I wait for some more quality of life improvements first?

Your best bet is to look at the current popular titles for PC VR, and see if it's worth the hassle.

I'm still thinking myself.

Cidd

Well, I just grabbed one.

I couldn't pass up this deal. After dabbling in GearVR for a few months now, I think it's time for the real deal.

Jzero

Okay guys I think I'm addicted to this thing. I just got to work and I can't wait to get back home and play The Lab and all the other stuff I left downloading 👺

Mine kept getting a couple of USB errors/crashes though, not sure what's up.

I also keep getting smudges on my lenses when putting it on.

Man this is tempting. I owned a rift DK2 for a couple of months but got rid of it after the novelty wore off and it was just a bunch of tech demos or janky forced vr like GTA V and bioshock. Im afraid ill buy it and put it down two weeks later again. If RE 7 was supported right now id bite instantly. At this point I think I'm going to wait a little longer but I do want a VR headset again at some point.

Renekton

Wait till 2H 2018 for the wireless

Zalusithix

lol @ 449 USD when buying from Australia. Fuck that.

What exactly is so bad about $449 USD for Australia? Considering that the quoted $399 USD is without sales tax since it varies per state, and that you Aussies have a 10% GST tacked on, that's all of $10 difference from a straight conversion. Unless you're just not happy with the conversion rate from AUD to USD...

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I really really really want to get in in on this bundle. $400 is just so juicy. But is it really worth it? I'm worried about the visual fidelity - from the demo I tried at the Microsoft Store, the visuals were really muddy at times and disorienting. And the games - are there enough gems out there to justify the purchase?

Zalusithix

Will a 2500K @ 4.5Ghz and a 970 get me by ok? Thanks!

Yes. The CPU should be fine, and the 970 was the baseline GPU at the launch of the VR headsets. In the case of Oculus, they've actually made headway in reducing the minimum GPU requirements with the introduction of ASW with (supposedly) minimal drawbacks. Even outside of games built explicitly for the Rift (no ASW), the 970 will suffice the vast majority of the time. You won't be doing any supersampling, and reprojection will likely kick in at times, but it'll get you by until you can upgrade the system again.

renzolama

Meh, I bought the Best Buy combo. I've got the expendable income but couldn't justify the value proposition after buying a DK1 originally, the fact that this deal includes controllers and several games I'd want to play makes it far more attractive.

That actually sounds hilarious. As he's reaching.. "DONT DO IT, I SEE YOU"

It's great. If I'm any of the other positions, I'll just do weird stuff (reaching for other people's controls, screens that don't do anything) without looking back at the captain. "Engineering, what the hell are you doing on that other screen?!"

I really want this to play Elite: Dangerous.

I got the rig to do it (i7-5930k @ 4.4GHz, 1080Ti FTW3) but I'm still on the fence about it.

I don't have the room for room scale or even standing room so it would be a 100% sitting experience for me.

I got some time to think about it though, assuming it doesn't sell out or anything.

ElyrionX

Wait. I bought mine from Amazon since that's the only place I know of that will ship to my country. Do I still get the free games?

Do Oculus tells you when is it going to arrive before Checkout?

I need to get a perfect timing D:

Gee guys, thanks :/

I got a timeframe of 4 days to have it arriving and I don't wanna have it after dad left the country :/

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Wait. I bought mine from Amazon since that's the only place I know of that will ship to my country. Do I still get the free games?

Someone please correct me if i am wrong, I dont think these free games are limited to this 6 weeks sale period.

renzolama

I believe the free games are handled by registration in the Oculus Store when you setup your new device. I don't think it matters where you buy the device from during the free period, and I don't think they're physical pack-in coupons in the actual bundle.

Edit: I'm basing that assumption on this text from the Best Buy bundle I purchased:
gFgKgwl.png

I'll verify when I open mine in an hour or so.

sfried

Picked up mine from Best Buy store pickup. Was able to do the Oculus into tutorial without performmance issues, although occassionally I'd notice this effect where it would attempt to do something like a motion blur effect or interpolate two frames, either as a way to alleviate motion sickness or as a performance cost reducing technique. Other than that minor nitpick, I feel as if I need to recalibrate my sensor positionsand plan out my space properly.

Edit: Running an i7 6700k 4.0GHz with AMD R9 Nano at 50%+ Power and 75C with Fan speed to reach max.

jrcbandit

Many of the multiplatform stuffs are better on the Rift version than the PSVR versions in various ways (better graphic, more features), like Job Simulator, Special Delivery, Fantastic Contraption etc.

Start with the Oculus exclusives, it seems they are of the highest qualities around. Then head to SteamVR and check out these titles.

Serious Sam VR The First Encounter
Serious Sam VR: The Second Encounter
Audioshield
Sairento VR
VINDICTA
To The Top
Twisted Arrow
Rec Room
Accounting (free experience)
Pierhead Arcade (a virtual arcade)
FORM
Waltz of the Wizard (free)
Soundboxing
Google Earth VR
Tilt Brush
Climbey
Cosmic Trip
Dead Secret
Richie's Plank Experience
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Elite Dangerous
Dead Secret
Vanishing Realms
Assetta Corsa (racing)
Project Cars 2 (racing)
Ghost Town Mine Ride & Shootin (its like Rush of Blood on PSVR)
A Chair in the Room (horror)

In future:
Payday 2 VR
Budget Cut
Just in Time Incorporated (later this month)
Dead Secret Circle
The Red Stare

Thanks for the list, my wish list definitely got expanded. Once the Oculus arrives, I'll have to decide what I'll get without waiting on a sale.

DirtyLarry

Well, I just picked up the Netgear Orbi on Amazon Prime Day as I have been eyeing it up for awhile and it was basically 33% off.

My wife is NOT having me spend upwards of $680 on tech so it is a no go on this bundle. So I am hoping they remain in stock for at least a few weeks out of the 6 weeks they are doing this promotion. I am good with the free Eve since I already own it from owning Oculus when it initially launched.

Fingers crossed it stays in stock for about 3 weeks. Then I can pick it up and hopefully she will have forgotten the Orbi purchase.

Really is a great deal especially for those who have not experienced it yet. I have yet to even try the Touch part of it all myself, and I still enjoyed it. Just felt it was a bit too expensive and back at launch there was not a whole lot of games. Especially since I am now reading thanks to this thread people do not think the next revision will come out for quite some time, I do want it again. VR is the real deal imho.

SpacLock

I've been in the fence for too long and this is what I was waiting for. Bought it from Best Buy.

Will this run OK on my machine?

RX 480
16gb RAM
I5 6600k

I'm kind of concerned that I might be held back by my card. Any input?

Super excited to try this with my girlfriend this weekend.

I've never experienced VR before.

Neverfade

I've been in the fence for too long and this is what I was waiting for. Bought it from Best Buy.

Will this run OK on my machine?

RX 480
16gb RAM
I5 6600k

I'm kind of concerned that I might be held back by my card. Any input?

Super excited to try this with my girlfriend this weekend.

I've never experienced VR before.

RX480 might be pushing it to the limit on higher end titles but you can certainly play plenty of games with that setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom