• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd look into aftermarket. Overall the Occulus is the worst for those that wear glasses: it sure if you're having that issue? Vive and PSVR have been fine for me.

Yeah i owned the PSVR around launch time and both it and the Vive have physical pieces in the nose section to block light. It really seems like the design group over at Oculus forgot or gave up when it came time to design the physical foam bits. Like what ever happened to the different size pieces that were supposed to come with the unit? lol

Maybe you've already tried this (and of course this would vary depending on the size/shape your nose) but in my case I had an issue with the nose gap until I realized that the box part that holds the lenses tilts up and down.
I was able to close the gap almost entirely by pulling the strap around the back of my head lower and tilting the front part downward into my face.

Edit: Okay nvm i just saw your last post

Yeah unfortunately my snoz is pretty narrow and not very long (room to grow when i'm an old geezer though lol). While pulling the bottom of the headset closer to my "cheek area" helps... it cant remove the large open sections where there just needs to be some padding there. I might see if i can make something with foam if the VR Cover doesnt solve it.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Looked around at the vr offerings earlier. Are there any first person games that don't have you just press a button to teleport, and instead just use an analog stick to move? Or does that cause motion sickness? I've only used Google cardboard.

"Looked around at the vr offerings earlier. Are there any first person games that don't have you just press a button to teleport, and instead just use an analog stick to move? Or does that cause motion sickness? I've only used Google cardboard."

The Serious Sam VR remakes.

renzolama

Looked around at the vr offerings earlier. Are there any first person games that don't have you just press a button to teleport, and instead just use an analog stick to move? Or does that cause motion sickness? I've only used Google cardboard.

Most games offer the option, the only two popular FPS titles I've seen so far that explicitly don't have an option for enabling locomotion are Superhot and Robo Recall (I believe there's a mod for Robo Recall that enables it). It does tend to cause motion sickness in those who are susceptible, yes, but many people still continue to request that the option be available. Personally, I've used regular locomotion in every game it was available for and the only one that bothered me slightly was Arizona Sunshine.

Blam

Pavlov, Onward, Breach It, are a few that do this.

Steel

Banned

For full motion controls + Artificial:
Arizona sunshine, Serious Sam VR, modbox has the option for artificial.

For other games: House of the Dying Sun, Eve Valkyrie, Project Cars...

kinggroin

Banned

Pavlov, Onward, Doom 3 VR mod, New Retro Arcade, Ghost Town Minecart, are some more.

Also for anyone interested in where locomotion could go as far as progress, check out the free app on steam called Freedom Locomotion. There a walk in place mode that works way better than it has a right to, allowing for some versatile action.

"How is Project Cars VR? I wouldn't mind a racing game to try out but don't have a wheel."

Performance-wise, not good. You'll be leaning on Asynchronous Space Warp a lot, but that may not bother you. I've also heard Project Cars doesn't play particularly well with a controller (I've only played with a wheel), so that might be a concern. There's a demo on Steam, "Pagani Edition," so try that first.

If you aren't married to cars, you can try the Redout demo on Steam as well.

MaDKaT

How is Project Cars VR? I wouldn't mind a racing game to try out but don't have a wheel.

Inconsistent performance, even with a potent rig(i7/1080). Dirt Rally is better and works pretty well with a controller. Like Mentioned, RedOUt is also pretty good in the wipeout/fzero sort of space. Assetto Corsa works well in VR but menu navigation is done outside of VR.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I’m in, picking one up in Savannah, GA in about an hour. I have a PSVR, so this will be a nice edition for my computer. Anyone know any good horror games for the Oculus? Thanks in advance, folks.

StereoVsn

Inconsistent performance, even with a potent rig(i7/1080). Dirt Rally is better and works pretty well with a controller. Like Mentioned, RedOUt is also pretty good in the wipeout/fzero sort of space. Assetto Corsa works well in VR but menu navigation is done outside of VR.
Do any of them work with touch controllers? I have a 4790 and 980ti so I am guessing Project Cars is out then.

It is freaking incredible
Hmm...

MaDKaT

Do any of them work with touch controllers? I have a 4790 and 980ti so I am guessing Project Cars is out then.

Ive only used a gamepad or wheel for them so Im not sure. Go ahead and give Project Cars a go. When the performance keeps up it is pretty great but I just found the more I got into it, certain tracks/sections/cars etc....the performance wasn't stable enough for me.

TI82

Banned
Now my HMD shipped and will be here Tuesday but my touch controllers haven't shipped. You can play without them right?

Brigandier

Mine arrived yesterday I'm pleased with it. Luckys tale made me feel a little sickly at first but now I love it.

I can't really play room scale games due to lack of space.

Is Super Hot a good seated experience???

enewtabie

Downloaded my games last night. Need to setup Roomscale tonight. I did play House of the Dying Sun and that was cool. Thinking I'll get Eve and maybe Arizona this weekend. Wife likes it and she doesn't play games.

Had my first bit of VR sickness and it is no bueno. Still have a headache but thankfully the feeling of needing to throw up is gone.

Unfortunately had to refund the game on Steam, but, I knew 10 seconds in it was not going to go well. (Game was Radiant Crusade, fwiw)

"Even if you lower the settings?

I've heard it's amazing. From multiple sources."

Even if you lower the settings. It simply does not run at a reliable framerate.

chinoXL

Mine arrived yesterday I'm pleased with it. Luckys tale made me feel a little sickly at first but now I love it.

I can't really play room scale games due to lack of space.

Is Super Hot a good seated experience???

hahhahaha Lucky's smooth transitions tickled the stomach the first couple times..you def don't want to sit down with Super Hot...I've been playing standing to dodge bullets

Onward, Pavlov. Onward is my favorite fps in VR.

Robot Recall even has a mod for it, I think Arizona Sunshine has an option for it.

sethcheek

Are the seven free titles (listed on the Oculus site), like Lucky's Tale and Dead & Buried available to those who buy and register the set ANYWHERE, or just when bought from oculus.com?

VICI0US

Are the seven free titles (listed on the Oculus site), like Lucky's Tale and Dead & Buried available to those who buy and register the set ANYWHERE, or just when bought from oculus.com?

anywhere. lucky's tale comes with the headset, all the other games are included with your touch. when you go through the setup process and pair your touch controllers it's supposed to add them to you account automatically.

didn't happen to me for some reason, so I had to go through support to get a code for my touch games.

webrunner

testing out the 2 sensor 360 with room scale last night it seemed 100% fine except for one dead zone due to a tall bookcase (which wont be a problem as I'm getting a mounting bracket)

I didn't see any problems spinning around in the home (i didn't try anything really stressful, but i didnt see any movements not being tracked if i stayed inside the guardian walls.

The room in question doesnt have a lot of space so I can just barely manage about 5x6

Zalusithix

Lighthouse tracking is better but I wouldn’t say it’s 100% right. I had plenty of occasions where the tracking would go weird when I had a Vive - controllers floating off into the distance, it suddenly losing the location of my head and teleporting around. Wasn’t hugely frequent, but it’s not perfect.

Yeah, there's no such thing as perfect tracking yet. Lighthouse based tracking has flexibility and potential raw size of the play space going for it, but it's not without its flaws and limitations. Reflective surfaces can throw it for a loop. Vibrations from the motors induce a level of jitter that increases with distance to the lighthouse. Synchronization of the lighthouses is limited to the distance of the LED sync flash without hard wiring them together. It also has the reverse problem of the Rift in that you can't add more than two lighthouses even if you wanted to. Also has odd quirks where the floor height can be off by an inch or so (easy enough to fix with OVRAS).

The upcoming second gen lighthouses later this year should fix most of these problems. Large reflective surfaces will likely still be an issue, but dropping down to a single rotor should reduce vibrations/jitter, and changing to sync on beam eliminates the need for the sync LEDs and removes the restriction on lighthouse count.

testing out the 2 sensor 360 with room scale last night it seemed 100% fine except for one dead zone due to a tall bookcase (which wont be a problem as I'm getting a mounting bracket)

I didn't see any problems spinning around in the home (i didn't try anything really stressful, but i didnt see any movements not being tracked if i stayed inside the guardian walls.

The room in question doesnt have a lot of space so I can just barely manage about 5x6

2 sensors up front or one front one back, diagonal corners?

Chumley

Banned
A third sensor is a MUST you guys, seriously. I didn't know if I was standing facing the TV or my back turned after I got a third sensor, it makes a world of difference... Might even get a 4th for the hell of it to make 100% I'm good

Could I get away with placing it to my right side instead of directly behind me? I can route the cord behind a bookshelf and onto a desk on the right side of my room but putting it behind me would require the cord to run across the room and I really don't want to have to do that.

webrunner

2 sensors up front or one front one back, diagonal corners?

yes, diagonal corners, near the ceiling, pointed down.

One thing that was confusing in the setup was that it says to face at an angle, but that's only for the "find the signal" part, not for the point at the screen part (which lets it determine where "forward" is.

If I get a third sensor I can just put it up front in the 3rd quarter (or in back, if I want to just face the opposite direction)

The touch controllers are angry eyes

I had the Vive for a while in my old house and absolutely loved it but we moved and I don't have space for roomscale anymore. How would the seated experience be with the Oculus? I'm itching to get VR back in my life but I don't want to waste the money if I can't play most things sitting down.

Conezays

i appreciate this post but also hate this

thank you for bringing awareness that in-store pickup stock has replenished
but boo you for enabling me

i'm picking it up during lunch :(

I understand completely. I was ready to cancel my Amazon order and then saw the posts on here; ended up canceling that order and driving out to Best Buy this morning. Happy to help/hurt :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom