• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catphish

Omg the Echo Arena demo is amazing. Amazing!

If you haven't tried this yet, gogogo!

I'll be playing this shit every minute I can this weekend, and I'll damn well be buying Lone Echo next week.

This is it. This is what I bought VR for.

Ender's Game, Tron, Disc Golf, and Rocket League in a blender.

ZOMG

ElfArmy177

A third sensor is a MUST you guys, seriously. I didn't know if I was standing facing the TV or my back turned after I got a third sensor, it makes a world of difference... Might even get a 4th for the hell of it to make 100% I'm good

Dave_6

I just want to say...I'm an idiot!
Been struggling trying to get oculus to fit comfortably on my head or stay in a perfect position, so I watched a video...noticed the headset had a part I was missing on mine...
The part I thought was just to protect the lenses or whatever is actually part of the headset!

So yeah, havent beem wearing it properly for a few days Now, but it's now all good on that end. Only thing now is it can get hot wearing it ha ha.

Which part was it that you left off? I'm wondering if I did the same thing. Got mine yesterday and didn't have until really late to mess with it and by then I was super tired.

Saying that, I did at least try out Robo Recall for a few minutes. Wow! When the spider looking bots come flying at my face, it legit made me flinch.

kinggroin

Banned
I tried 360 tracking with 2 sensors on each corner. It was probably about 9-10 feet diagonally across. It was basically flawless unless I was right on the edges of the play space. And even that was not really an issue because at that point the guardian system lights up and I know to take a few steps back to the center.

I'd imagine with 3 sensors you'd have no issues with tracking at all. Never tried Vive but I'm having a hard time imagining how it could get any better?

Not so much better, just way less hassle. Lighthouses require zero USB ports, so you don't need to run them to your PC, just an ac outlet. Also, you need just 2.

As for the 3 vs 2 quality, I imagine at that point your talking about a minor difference. Though, from what I understand, the Vive lighthouses are capable of giving you a much larger playspace if you have it.

Has Oculus caught up in that regard? Anyone wanna chime in?

Tain

I don't think Oculus trackers can really match in terms of playspace size, but I haven't looked into people trying more than three trackers.

One extremely minor thing that Oculus API does that I wish SteamVR did is correct your room boundary position if the sensors get moved. Oculus software seems really good at this. Maybe the same correction methods wouldn't work given the differences in tracking tech.

kinggroin

Banned
I don't think Oculus trackers can really match in terms of playspace size, but I haven't looked into people trying more than three trackers.

One extremely minor thing that Oculus API does that I wish SteamVR did is correct your room boundary position if the sensors get moved. Oculus software seems really good at this. Maybe the same correction methods wouldn't work given the differences in tracking tech.

That's pretty cool, never knew that.

With Vive I typically would need to draw my boundaries again if the sensor is moved too much

Blam

I know I completely disregard the steam walls since they always break. Also never use SteamVR Beta that shit is broken as fuck and will break the shit out of the tracking. People have done as far as 5 sensors which work on the Oculus, but people have done 2 sensors and done large rooms like the Vive.

Not so much better, just way less hassle. Lighthouses require zero USB ports, so you don't need to run them to your PC, just an ac outlet. Also, you need just 2.

As for the 3 vs 2 quality, I imagine at that point your talking about a minor difference. Though, from what I understand, the Vive lighthouses are capable of giving you a much larger playspace if you have it.

I mean sure the maximum is higher for the Vive, but the maximum is also 15 by 15 ft for Vive, and 9 by 9 for the Rift.

Which most people will never reach to begin with. Both can go farther it's just recommended to stay in those boundaries with how far you should be going.

mazillion

Ah, good points.

More specifically I was just referring to the quality of tracking quality once you have it all set up properly. But, yeah, it sounds like those features give the Vive senors an edge over Rift.

kinggroin

Banned
I know I completely disregard the steam walls since they always break. Also never use SteamVR Beta that shit is broken as fuck and will break the shit out of the tracking. People have done as far as 5 sensors which work on the Oculus, but people have done 2 sensors and done large rooms like the Vive.

I mean sure the maximum is higher for the Vive, but the maximum is also 15 by 15 ft for Vive, and 9 by 9 for the Rift.

Which most people will never reach to begin with. Both can go farther it's just recommended to stay in those boundaries with how far you should be going.

Ok? I'm just saying, it's nice that x-large is an option. I know that when I do my upcoming charity demos with the Vive, we can really stretch legs in the gymnasium! It'll be pretty awesome to have that 6 feet extra freedom.

kinggroin

Banned
Ah, good points.

More specifically I was just referring to the quality of tracking quality once you have it all set up properly. But, yeah, it sounds like those features give the Vive senors an edge over Rift.

Yeah quality of the tracking itself is probably exactly the same when being tracked. Neither are the shaky jank that exhibits with the single PSVR non-VR camera.

A third sensor is a MUST you guys, seriously. I didn't know if I was standing facing the TV or my back turned after I got a third sensor, it makes a world of difference... Might even get a 4th for the hell of it to make 100% I'm good

Even if we have a very small room with no ability/desire to walk around/room-scale? I have just enough space to take a few steps every direction with my arms spread... and i want to play games like Pavlov, Onward, Echo Arena. I'd just figured i'd be perfectly fine with 2 cameras in opposing corners of my small room. I'd easily get a 3rd if it helped that much but Amazon US has them shipping in 1-2 months.

Blam

Ok? I'm just saying, it's nice that x-large is an option. I know that when I do my upcoming charity demos with the Vive, we can really stretch legs in the gymnasium! It'll be pretty awesome to have that 6 feet extra freedom.

Yeah this is true, but like I mentioned this is just the "safe max". You can go way farther on both it's just there is going to be a higher loss of tracking on both. I believe the people at Node got the Vive to run past 25 x 25. I might be very wrong on that number. But it's just the safe max I'm sure the rift can do 15x15 but nobody has bothered to try it.

But the big hitter is that literally no Roomscale games actually go this far or even bother to make anything that close. Sure having some leeway is nice, but no point since most games are capped at 3m by 3m.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD4UlShicgY Video of people at Node going to 27x27. Like I said unless you're developing a specific experience it's sorta pointless.

The controller thing is fine. It's dumb they even included one. If you're buying a high end VR headset, you're extremely likely to have at least a 360 controller lying.
You’d be surprised - I worked for a small game developer that made a Steam game that required controller (much of the game’s challenge was based on controller motions like rotating the stick as fast as you can). We got SOOOOO many complaints from people saying they don’t have controllers.

But the big hitter is that literally no Roomscale games actually go this far or even bother to make anything that close.
Actually, there’s an awesome virtual emulation arcade, New Retro Arcade Neon, where the more room you can walk around the better, because it really is a full-size virtual arcade you can walk around in, and room scale makes it amazing. The larger the room setup you have, the less often you have to stop walking and teleport.

"But the big hitter is that literally no Roomscale games actually go this far or even bother to make anything that close. Sure having some leeway is nice, but no point since most games are capped at 3m by 3m."

There's no such thing as a "cap" in this regard.

MaDKaT

Even if we have a very small room with no ability/desire to walk around/room-scale? I have just enough space to take a few steps every direction with my arms spread... and i want to play games like Pavlov, Onward, Echo Arena. I'd just figured i'd be perfectly fine with 2 cameras in opposing corners of my small room. I'd easily get a 3rd if it helped that much but Amazon US has them shipping in 1-2 months.

3 is certainly better but if you can place the cameras opposite of each other, corners would be ideal, you should be fine for the smaller play space.

Bookoo

I'll be playing this shit every minute I can this weekend, and I'll damn well be buying Lone Echo next week.

ZOMG

Echo Arena is probably one of the best games to come out recently. It's going to be free for 3 months for all Oculus Users. So just make sure you add it to your library for it ends.

Blam

"But the big hitter is that literally no Roomscale games actually go this far or even bother to make anything that close. Sure having some leeway is nice, but no point since most games are capped at 3m by 3m."

There's no such thing as a "cap" in this regard.

Should have mentioned that I was talking about roomscale games since they would be "capped" to something like 3mx3m. Since any higher and things will most likely break. There are specific instances where the roomscale wouldn't be. But stuff like Rick & Morty or Job Sim, won't be using all that space.

"Should have mentioned that I was talking about roomscale games since they would be "capped" to something like 3mx3m. Since any higher and things will most likely break. But stuff like Rick & Morty or Job Sim, won't be using all that space."

Yes, I'm talking about roomscale, too. Rick & Morty most definitely does not "cap" your playspace to 3m x 3m. Job Simulator doesn't actually do that either. And those are the two most restricted experiences, in terms of play space, I've seen.

kinggroin

Banned
Yeah this is true, but like I mentioned this is just the "safe max". You can go way farther on both it's just there is going to be a higher loss of tracking on both. I believe the people at Node got the Vive to run past 25 x 25. I might be very wrong on that number. But it's just the safe max I'm sure the rift can do 15x15 but nobody has bothered to try it.

But the big hitter is that literally no Roomscale games actually go this far or even bother to make anything that close. Sure having some leeway is nice, but no point since most games are capped at 3m by 3m.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD4UlShicgY Video of people at Node going to 27x27. Like I said unless you're developing a specific experience it's sorta pointless.

Actually I disagree. I think that's the beauty of both setups and PC VR. You don't necessarily have to develop for 15x15 or 9x9 to get the most out of roomscale! The fact that you're always tracked is what's important, and the bigger the tracking area, the more you can just move through a game world IRL without having use the track pad, or teleport, or analog stick.

Budget Cuts for instance, would be SICK in either units' maxed out setup. It'll give you room to even run between rooms a bit.

Let me add, my current room setup is 3x2.6, and I can tell you, it's not enough for me (I get bummed when I reach the edge and need to use teleport)

MaDKaT

Should have mentioned that I was talking about roomscale games since they would be "capped" to something like 3mx3m. Since any higher and things will most likely break.

Some games sure are setup for fixed or capped play sizes but there are others that will allow far more freedom. I need to go back to it but I seem to recall Budget Cuts allowing me to use my full garage space which was over 5x5m. Even Superhot allowed me to use my full 4x4 room

Blam

Some games sure are setup for fixed or capped play sizes but there are others that will allow far more freedom. I need to go back to it but I seem to recall Budget Cuts allowing me to use my full garage space which was over 5x5m. Even Superhot allowed me to use my full 4x4 room

Yeah like I had mentioned there are games which won't put this soft "cap" on roomscale since they wouldn't need it. But stuff like the 2 games I mentioned wouldn't let it go farther then needed. I will retract my statements if you can show me a video of R&M running on a 7x7m play area. Or job sim. I haven't seen anyone even do this.

"Yeah like I had mentioned there are games which won't put this soft "cap" on roomscale since they wouldn't need it. But stuff like the 2 games I mentioned wouldn't let it go farther then needed. I will retract my statements if you can show me a video of R&M running on a 7x7m play area. Or job sim. I haven't seen anyone even do this."

Wow that's quite a leap from the 3x3m you mentioned earlier. It's especially impressive that you picked a size beyond what pretty much anyone has, by far. Not even 4x4m (which I have) or 5x5m, which are already in the minority. Though, I still have no doubt that neither game would have any problems with it, you'd just be walking on the outside of the garage in R&M or in some random cubicle in Job Sim. And you're really stuck on only these two games when you previously asserted "most" games capped the playspace.

Blam

I really should. Something like that? https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-rift-vr-cover-nosefree/?attribute_color=Gray

Does someone own this cover? Is it good?

I actually have one of these they are pretty good, most people on the /r/oculus sub recommended it so I went and got one since I didn't like my headset being sweaty.

"Yeah like I had mentioned there are games which won't put this soft "cap" on roomscale since they wouldn't need it. But stuff like the 2 games I mentioned wouldn't let it go farther then needed. I will retract my statements if you can show me a video of R&M running on a 7x7m play area. Or job sim. I haven't seen anyone even do this."

Wow that's quite a leap from the 3x3m you mentioned earlier. It's especially impressive that you picked a size beyond what pretty much anyone has, by far. Not even 4x4m (which I have) or 5x5m, which are already in the minority. Though, I still have no doubt that neither game would have any problems with it, you'd just be walking on the outside of the garage in R&M or in some random cubicle in Job Sim. And you're really stuck on only these two games when you previously asserted "most" games capped the playspace.

I mean I'm saying that these games I don't know about others, that's why I'm on about these 2 games have a soft "cap" on how far they'd be able to go. I can't atm think of another game that would break under these massive play areas. I know another roomscale game Hover Junkers doesn't break since they showed a bunch of videos of them walking outside the main menu.

No clue but I'd assume The Lab as well to break under a 7x7 play area. Not saying that roomscale is bad or anything I'm just saying that comparing max distances for both headsets is a very small thing to worry about. Since the majority of people don't own a big enough play area to do that. Most would be doing it in a living room, or bedroom. Not everyone has a empty garage they can do this in or a specific room setup for it.

MaDKaT

Yeah like I had mentioned there are games which won't put this soft "cap" on roomscale since they wouldn't need it. But stuff like the 2 games I mentioned wouldn't let it go farther then needed. I will retract my statements if you can show me a video of R&M running on a 7x7m play area. Or job sim. I haven't seen anyone even do this.

Are you saying the games will restrict your movement past x feet?

Blam

No no I'm saying that they'll start breaking (not talking about the tracking) after this point as they wouldn't be using anything else past this. Like lets say you have enough space to walk right around the garage in R&M. I'd only assume quite a lot of this stuff around the player won't be rendered it would never be seen.

Job Simulator definitely expands if you have more room. It has multiple sizes, you can tell it has maxed out its area when the starting “room” has museum displays behind you. I’m not sure of its exact maximum size but for me it’s at the bare limits of what I can do with my current room. Different games however have different needs - Job Simulator seems to want more forward-back room to max out, but a game like Super Hot seems to want more side-side room. Very, very few games have a large open area that can handle however a large an area you have, because they are designed for normal people with normal rooms.

They put limits around you, such as Job Simulator which surrounds you with cabinets and walls and stuff. Sure, you can theoretically just keep walking through walls, but that’s not the same thing as a game supporting a larger area. Heck, Elite Dangerous, a sit-down single-position game, you could theoretically walk outside your ship (in space) and see it from the outside, but that’s definitely not a valid gameplay motion (although pretty darn cool!)

MaDKaT

No no I'm saying that they'll start breaking (not talking about the tracking) after this point as they wouldn't be using anything else past this.

Job Simulator definitely expands if you have more room. It has multiple sizes, you can tell it has maxed out its area when the starting ”room" has museum displays behind you. Different games however have different needs - Job Simulator seems to want more forward-back room to max out, but a game like Super Hot seems to want more side-side room. Very, very few games have a large open area that can handle however a large an area you have.

They put limits around you, such as Job Simulator which surrounds you with cabinets and walls and stuff. Sure, you can theoretically just keep walking through walls, but that's not the same thing as a game supporting a larger area. Heck, Elite Dangerous, a sit-down single-position game, you could theoretically walk outside your ship (in space) and see it from the outside, but that's definitely not a valid gameplay motion.

Gotcha. Yeah, some games are designed around smaller play spaces. The limit is really up to the devs and how they want to use, exploit a players space. Though I will say, Superhot will let you move around a lot if you have the space.

Blam

Gotcha. Yeah, some games are designed around smaller play spaces. The limit is really up to the devs and how they want to use, exploit a players space.

Yeah this is what I was getting at thanks to my horrible explanation it sounded completely different.

How do you all eliminate the nose gap issue the Rift has? I havent even received mine yet but after trying one at BB i know that's going to be a huge annoyance for me. Maybe i have a small nose but shit light just shoots up through that gap. My PSVR didnt have that issue and had some sort of nose-flap thing.

Are there any aftermarket solutions/pads etc?

"No clue but I'd assume The Lab as well to break under a 7x7 play area"

What happened to 4x4m. Or even 5x5m? How did we suddenly jump to 7x7? I'm not letting that go.

How would The Lab "Break?" The main play hub is much larger than 3x3 and it's fully modeled. How would Rec Room break? Or Budget Cuts? Climbey? Raw Data? Sports Bar VR? There are quite a large number of room scale games that have play areas *much* larger than 3x3m. And I don't think we should look at the potential of tech through the limitations of Day 1 software. The fact that a couple of the first room scale games took place in a small room doesn't really matter.

How do you all eliminate the nose gap issue the Rift has? I havent even received mine yet but after trying one at BB i know that's going to be a huge annoyance for me. Maybe i have a small nose but shit light just shoots up through that gap. My PSVR didnt have that issue and had some sort of nose-flap thing.

Have a big nose like me.
There's still a gap

I'm sure you could create some make-shift foam cut out for it.

Catphish

Personally, I don't mind the gap because it allows me to spot check for my actual position in the living room, before the Guardian kicks on. Also, I found that if I have the headset on properly, which I didn't at first, it sits low enough on my face that I barely notice the gap. Finally, in those rare instances where the gap is an annoyance, killing the light in the room more or less solves the issue.

Blam

"No clue but I'd assume The Lab as well to break under a 7x7 play area"

What happened to 4x4m. Or even 5x5m? How did we suddenly jump to 7x7? I'm not letting that go.

How would The Lab "Break?" The main play hub is much larger than 3x3 and it's fully modeled. How would Rec Room break? Or Budget Cuts? Climbey? Raw Data? Sports Bar VR? There are quite a large number of room scale games that have play areas *much* larger than 3x3m. And I don't think we should look at the potential of tech through the limitations of Day 1 software. The fact that a couple of the first room scale games took place in a small room doesn't really matter.

I mean the intended play area is in the room you're in. If you walk through that wall I'm sure it'll break in someway or another. Rec Room wouldn't break since that's not really a closed in room room scaled way. Neither is Climbey, Budget Cuts, Raw Data, or Sports Bar VR.

I only jumped to 7x7 since I'd assume even tho those are in the minority 4x4, and 5x5 would still work as intended. Sure I could have said 6x6 but I was specifically mentioning that the max boundaries wouldn't be necessarily used.

Is the Xbox One controller that comes with it the new one with the 3.5 jack and bluetooth?
Mine was at least. So I can only assume they all are.

"I mean the intended play area is in the room you're in. If you walk through that wall I'm sure it'll break in someway or another. Rec Room wouldn't break since that's not really a closed in room room scaled way. Neither is Climbey, Budget Cuts, Raw Data, or Sports Bar VR."

That's kind of my point though. You said most room-scale games would "break" above 3x3m, but there's a lot of room-scale software (and generally speaking, the most highly regarded) that doesn't take place in a small room like Rick and Morty or Job Simulator.

SaiyanRaoh

This completely eliminated the gap for me.

https://xinreality.com/wiki/Oculus_Rift_Adjustment_Guide

Can't believe it worked for me.

And I don't think we should look at the potential of tech through the limitations of Day 1 software. The fact that a couple of the first room scale games took place in a small room doesn't really matter.
You mean 90% of all VR games ever made. Sure, there are a few games with gameplay that works in larger areas. But it’s a small number compared to the games with gameplay designed around realistic room-scale areas. Because, you know, developers want actual customers. And customers were even having problems coming up with the 6 foot area for Microsoft Kinect.

kinggroin

Banned
I get what you're saying Blam, about comparing maxed room scale size, but it's always going to be an advantage in the flexibility department for Vive. No matter how few people use it, the point is that it is always an option. Keep in mind, you're also tethered via USB when talking about Rift camera setups. It really isn't built to accommodate roomscale to the degree Vive was. That's not picking sides or anything, or even a knock at Rift, just a hard fact.

Evident in just how Oculus had to find a solution in the first place to allow roomscale.

Anyway, this is just going off on a niche tangent. So whatever, no biggie.

You mean 90% of all VR games ever made. Sure, there are a few games with gameplay that works in larger areas. But it’s a small number compared to the games with gameplay designed around realistic room-scale areas. Because, you know, developers want actual customers. And customers were even having problems coming up with the 6 foot area for Microsoft Kinect.

That's a different argument than what he's making I think. Sure most games are developed to accommodate a common play area, but I truly believe way way more than 10% of VR games would see a positive benefit from going past their own recommended 2x2 or 2x3 or 3x3 play space. In fact, some of the best ones would

This completely eliminated the gap for me.

https://xinreality.com/wiki/Oculus_Rift_Adjustment_Guide

Can't believe it worked for me.

I've read that before and adjusted the device pretty much per the guide when i first tried it on. It's not an issue of fit for me personally... it's a simple physical dimension problem with the headset's nose opening. I have a small nose and it's SUPER large. Probably doesn't help that i have white washed hardwood floor that reflects a lot of light.

I might look into some of these aftermarket pads like the VR Cover.

MrMephistoX

I'd look into aftermarket. Overall the Occulus is the worst for those that wear glasses: it sure if you're having that issue? Vive and PSVR have been fine for me.

mazillion

How do you all eliminate the nose gap issue the Rift has?
Maybe you've already tried this (and of course this would vary depending on the size/shape your nose) but in my case I had an issue with the nose gap until I realized that the box part that holds the lenses tilts up and down.
I was able to close the gap almost entirely by pulling the strap around the back of my head lower and tilting the front part downward into my face.

Edit: Okay nvm i just saw your last post

MaDKaT

Could just be the games Im seeking but this seems to be changing with more and more games relying on artificial locomotion. these games certainly benefit from larger play spaces.

"You mean 90% of all VR games ever made. Sure, there are a few games with gameplay that works in larger areas. But it's a small number compared to the games with gameplay designed around realistic room-scale areas. Because, you know, developers want actual customers. And customers were even having problems coming up with the 6 foot area for Microsoft Kinect."

90% of all VR games ever made is not a significant number when we're talking about a format that as young (as far as being a consumer product) as VR. And the context of the discussion is room-scale. I don't think your 90% claim holds up in that regard.

"That's a different argument than what he's making I think. Sure most games are developed to accommodate a common play area, but I truly believe way way more than 10% of VR games would see a positive benefit from going past their own recommended 2x2 or 2x3 or 3x3 play space."

Bingo.

Starting to get worried after talking to a friend. "Oculus got tracking 90% right, Valve got it 100% right but that remaining 10% makes a world of difference". Says it "loses him", all sorts of problems where it'll go out and small annoyances that aren't a problem with the lighthouses and that he expected more from a high-end product and should've included a third sensor in the base version.

Lighthouse tracking is better but I wouldn’t say it’s 100% right. I had plenty of occasions where the tracking would go weird when I had a Vive - controllers floating off into the distance, it suddenly losing the location of my head and teleporting around. Wasn’t hugely frequent, but it’s not perfect.

VICI0US

ZOMG

I'm so awful at it, but it really is a blast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom