• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to imagine anything else living up to grabbing a robot from behind, pulling his head off, tossing that head at another robot and drawing your gun with the same hand afterwards to mow down a bunch of bad guys while using the robot whose head you ripped off as a shield.

Nice one! VR, and Robo recall, are awesome!

LAA

Also to echo thoughts here... Robo Recall is probably the best VR game I've played so far.

Also a question, hearing talk about a 3rd sensor... is it worth it if you don't have the room for room scale stuff? What does a 3rd sensor add exactly?

UrbanRats

Also to echo thoughts here... Robo Recall is probably the best VR game I've played so far.

Also a question, hearing talk about a 3rd sensor... is it worth it if you don't have the room for room scale stuff? What does a 3rd sensor add exactly?

That if you turn away from the camera, you can still be tracked.
I don't know if just 2 cameras one opposite to the other, can already do that easily though.

Jzero

Just played some Echo Arena and that was pretty freaking dope. I'm absolutely trash at it but just floating around is fun.

Jimrpg

This thread is way bigger than the original Oculus thread, crazy what happens when it's realistically priced. After the DK2 being $350, $399 was absolutely the right price and they really killed the momentum of VR by being greedy. People were ready to buy until they saw the prices of $600-800 and then people switched to wait mode.

I wish the Oculus Rift cable wasn't so short.

Even in my small ass room, I feel like I'm tugging on it constantly.

Bought these things to extend the cable, now have more than enough slack.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014I8T0YQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01E14L5YA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C7SA21U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You definitely need the HDMI repeater otherwise nothing is displayed on the Rift display I found

Ugh, I think I'll try and find a way to better position my PC and cable.

Not sure I want to throw down an extra $20 just yet.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Do you think Oculus will see sense and keep at this price after the limited offer?

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
It went back in stock in limited quantity atBest Buy Canada for those that are still interested and that don't want to buy from Oculus themselves.

Imur

I tried all the good rated and free Oculus Store VIdeos. You should all watch Dear Angelica and Henry. They are awesome. Alumette is pretty cute too. The others are ok, but nothing you absolutely have to watch.

I've been using the USB 2.0 ports for my sensors for a couple days now, and they work perfectly fine.

I don't know why Oculus "requires" USB 3.0. The Vive doesn't even need a USB 3.0.

StereoVsn

This thread is way bigger than the original Oculus thread, crazy what happens when it's realistically priced. After the DK2 being $350, $399 was absolutely the right price and they really killed the momentum of VR by being greedy. People were ready to buy until they saw the prices of $600-800 and then people switched to wait mode.
Yeap. $400 would have been alright but double that without touch controllers plus DRM killed that momentum.

Wollan

Just bought a cheap DK1 off eBay. How awful is it in comparison to the current version?
It's a collectors item and I'm still keeping mine.
It was *awesome* in spring 2013 showing that VR had great potential but it's horrible by todays standards. I.e GearVR destroys it in every way.

Chumley

Banned
Yeap. $400 would have been alright but double that without touch controllers plus DRM killed that momentum.

Start talking about the Amazon deal at $300 and the early adopter cost looks truly terrible. $900 with touch I think. It's gone down by $600 in what, a year 1/2?

Wollan

$400 seems like the magical border both for consoles and VR devices. Above that and it needs to be a 'life necessity' like a phone etc. for most people.

Chumley

Banned
$400 seems like the magical border both for consoles and VR devices. Above that and it needs to be a 'life necessity' like a phone etc. for most people.

VR needs to be cheaper than $200 if it requires a console or a PC. We're still a far ways off from it being priced correctly, casual gamers don't have PC's good enough for this stuff and a PS4 Pro is already pricey for most people on its own.

Once it's wireless and cheaper I think you'll see a lot more activity.

Lum1n3s

VR needs to be cheaper than $200 if it requires a console or a PC. We're still a far ways off from it being priced correctly, casual gamers don't have PC's good enough for this stuff and a PS4 Pro is already pricey for most people on its own.

Once it's wireless and cheaper I think you'll see a lot more activity.

I remember the DK2 or was it the 1? Going for $400 and I thought that was a decent price but never jumped the gun on it because I felt like something better was going to come along the line and sure enough we have the Rift. When I saw the price though I was like awww hell no, so I decided to wait. Low and behold this sale comes up to bring it down to $400 which I was completely hesitant about until I saw the Amazon sale. Missed out on it at first but when it came back up I immediately jumped on it. A $300 Oculus Rift with a $100 Amazon gift card was that sweet spot for me and I'm actually not regretting it surprisingly. The only thing I have to do is play the waiting game but eh, I'm in no rush for it.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Haha, as expected then. Cheers for the heads up!

£35 for it isn't the end of the world, though. Worth trying out.

Its terribly bad and may induce headache easier, not to mention incompatibility with the current VR apps

Just dont apply your impression of DK1 to current VR

Starting to get worried after talking to a friend. "Oculus got tracking 90% right, Valve got it 100% right but that remaining 10% makes a world of difference". Says it "loses him", all sorts of problems where it'll go out and small annoyances that aren't a problem with the lighthouses and that he expected more from a high-end product and should've included a third sensor in the base version.

That $100 gift card will cover the third sensor but if I'm going to be playing stuff like Pavlov and Onward, is it highly recommended?

Start talking about the Amazon deal at $300 and the early adopter cost looks truly terrible. $900 with touch I think. It's gone down by $600 in what, a year 1/2?

Yeah, my sympathies go out to anyone that bought into Oculus early on. They should've given everyone an IOU voucher for the Touch controllers tbh

Wollan

Personally I wouldn't worry about room-scale experiences to begin with for Oculus.
There's so many quality games geared for its sitting/standing focus that they will take you a good while to deplete.

MaDKaT

Starting to get worried after talking to a friend. "Oculus got tracking 90% right, Valve got it 100% right but that remaining 10% makes a world of difference". Says it "loses him", all sorts of problems where it'll go out and small annoyances that aren't a problem with the lighthouses and that he expected more from a high-end product and should've included a third sensor in the base version.

That $100 gift card will cover the third sensor but if I'm going to be playing stuff like Pavlov and Onward, is it highly recommended?

Yes

As for the 90 vs 100, once you have the 3rd camera you will be just fine.

Starting to get worried after talking to a friend. "Oculus got tracking 90% right, Valve got it 100% right but that remaining 10% makes a world of difference". Says it "loses him" and that he expected more from a high-end product and should've included a third sensor in the base version.

Yes. But your friends argument sounds like hearsay. If you do have 3 sensors and theyre wall mounted, it works perfectly for me. He'd be right 6 months ago, but Oculus has come out with like 3 patches to improve roomscale, and it's near flawless now.

Yes. But your friends argument sounds like hearsay. If you do have 3 sensors and theyre wall mounted, it works perfectly for me. He'd be right 6 months ago, but Oculus has come out with like 3 patches to improve roomscale, and it's near flawless now.

He switched over after December or January so that explains it. I'll give it a shot. Thank you.

Personally I wouldn't worry about room-scale experiences to begin with for Oculus.
There's so many quality games geared for its sitting/standing focus that they will take you a good while to deplete.

I'll have quite a bit of time to go through those since the sensors are on back order. 1-2 month wait.

StereoVsn

Amazon deal was certainly very good but I think even $400 is still in reasonable range if you include the touch controllers. Above that it becomes way too niche.

I mean yes, lower would be better but then there would be even further compromises. We can see with Rift already that at least one more extra sensor is needed for room scale.

mazillion

I tried 360 tracking with 2 sensors on each corner. It was probably about 9-10 feet diagonally across. It was basically flawless unless I was right on the edges of the play space. And even that was not really an issue because at that point the guardian system lights up and I know to take a few steps back to the center.

I'd imagine with 3 sensors you'd have no issues with tracking at all. Never tried Vive but I'm having a hard time imagining how it could get any better?

I'd get the third sensor just to be safe. You don't want to chance tracking issues being just annoying enough to ruin the experience for you.

Just bought a cheap DK1 off eBay. How awful is it in comparison to the current version?

It's not even going to work with most games out now.

It's kind of a historic paperweight.

Ive seen people have success without the repeater when using a 6ft cable extension, but longer it seems to be a requirement.

Cleve

Yes. But your friends argument sounds like hearsay. If you do have 3 sensors and they're wall mounted, it works perfectly for me. He'd be right 6 months ago, but Oculus has come out with like 3 patches to improve room scale, and it's near flawless now.

I got a 3rd sensor with mine and none are wall mounted. I still have 0 problems with dead zones/missed tracking. Whatever problems it had before are gone.

What valve got right for sure was the setup process. Oculus running USB cables everywhere is sloppy, but it works fine.

Mascot

Fuck it. YOLO. With Trump in charge anything could happen.
I'm in for sim racing.

Where's the best place to buy this in the UK?
Do some sellers have more free games, free delivery, better after sales etc?
Quidco/TopCashBack is also a consideration as I'll probably buy online.

Edit: never mind, bought.

Interesting that they are dropping the remote and Xbone controller but it does make sense overall since it cuts cost and most peoole will already have a pad.

That said since the bundle from Amazon had separate boxes I am good with having extra hardware :p.

The controller thing is fine. It's dumb they even included one. If you're buying a high end VR headset, you're extremely likely to have at least a 360 controller lying.

The remote thing actually sucks. I actually like using that thing.

kinggroin

Banned

Yeah, my sympathies go out to anyone that bought into Oculus early on. They should've given everyone an IOU voucher for the Touch controllers tbh

Buy a third sensor. Especially for those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom