• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Diablo II thread of I can't get enough of this damn game!

hclflow

Immortal_Daemon said:
Ladder:
* Ability to create any runeword.
* Ladder-only drops (Gheed's fortune, Tyrael's might).
* Just started, so everybody is fresh.
* Unbalanced super-powerful runewords.

Non Ladder:
* Ability to use runewords carried over from ladder (they hold lots of value).
* Ability to use drops carried over from ladder (they hold lots of value).
* Been going for 8 years, so beginning items are cheap.
* Powerful runewords are valuable, so the game isn't unbalanced.

I don't really see a reason to play Ladder, aside from the fact that everybody else is starting fresh.

I understand your points, but we made the switch specifically because of the extra loot. I plan on still playing my non-ladder characters if non-ladder games are going and no ladder ones are, but I'd like for as many as possible to switch over to ladder to keep the player base from being too segmented.

So after the ladder finishes what happens to your character? Does it get bumped to non ladder? If it get bumps can you use it in ladder again later?

So I just installed the Diablo II demo to make sure everything runs fine on my laptop which uses Vista, and when I click to start the demo, it doesn't start, and the upper left hand corner of my screen just keeps changing to different letters. Like it's scrolling through the alphabet, and then various symbols on he keyboard. Any help?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Budokai, RevenantKioku, and myself want to get in on the Diablo 2, but unfortunately, the digital distribution transaction isn't going through on the Blizzard site. Every time we try buying the game, it says it can't be processed. It's really irritating.

Anyone else have that problem?

I_D

hclflow said:
I understand your points, but we made the switch specifically because of the extra loot. I plan on still playing my non-ladder characters if non-ladder games are going and no ladder ones are, but I'd like for as many as possible to switch over to ladder to keep the player base from being too segmented.

I think you guys are overestimating the "extra" loot.

It's like...... 5 items.
And the drop rates are almost nothing.

hclflow

Immortal_Daemon said:
I think you guys are overestimating the "extra" loot.

It's like...... 5 items.
And the drop rates are almost nothing.

So what's your point? I haven't seen you join a GAF game or anything yet, so why are you complaining? Just play or don't. There are still plenty of members playing non-ladder. Just look here for games or try joining neogaf/neogaf, neogaf1/neogaf, etc. Usually there's not more than three games going.

thetrin said:
Budokai, RevenantKioku, and myself want to get in on the Diablo 2, but unfortunately, the digital distribution transaction isn't going through on the Blizzard site. Every time we try buying the game, it says it can't be processed. It's really irritating.

Anyone else have that problem?

I know this may be overly obvious, but try a different browser? Thought I saw someone referring to problems buying the game in another thread, but I'm not sure of the specific issue. :/

eznark said:
does the "-w" thing not work with the expansion?

Yes, it works with any version. Add it after the quotes in the target shortcut field.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So after the ladder finishes what happens to your character? Does it get bumped to non ladder? If it get bumps can you use it in ladder again later?

After the ladder season ends, your character gets bumped to non-ladder, intact. You lose nothing except the ability to play ladder with that character.

"After the ladder season ends, your character gets bumped to non-ladder, intact. You lose nothing except the ability to play ladder with that character."

Cool, installing expansion now. I should be on shortly! :D

I_D

hclflow said:
So what's your point? I haven't seen you join a GAF game or anything yet, so why are you complaining? Just play or don't. There are still plenty of members playing non-ladder. Just look here for games or try joining neogaf/neogaf, neogaf1/neogaf, etc. Usually there's not more than three games going.

I joined them at the beginning, but the pace was pretty slow, so I went my own way.

But that's my point....
If people all play on the same server, things will progress a lot faster.
You guys are concerned about the extra drops on ladder...... well play non ladder and you can have them in a matter of days.
Things are a lot faster on non ladder, and it's a lot easier to get into the game.

DaFish

ToyMachine228 said:
So I just installed the Diablo II demo to make sure everything runs fine on my laptop which uses Vista, and when I click to start the demo, it doesn't start, and the upper left hand corner of my screen just keeps changing to different letters. Like it's scrolling through the alphabet, and then various symbols on he keyboard. Any help?

Try "Right Clicking" the Diablo icon, click "Properties" and then switch the "compatibility" to run on "XP SP2"

Ok Ladder info

DaFish / DaFish / DaFishyOne / Barb

sedaku

Ok so I lost my old cd-key, and have to buy new one online.

But there's a bug right now that prevent key buying online from joining USEast, Europe and Asia, I can only join US West right now.

Fucking Blizzard. Hopefully they fix it soon.

Is there a gaf ladder I should join or is there an easy way to search through ladder names?

Edit: Zaraki_Kenpachi / Pengy_McPenguin / GeorgSabellicus / Necromancer / US East

Edit 2: You guys are playing expansion ladder right?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
hclflow said:
I know this may be overly obvious, but try a different browser? Thought I saw someone referring to problems buying the game in another thread, but I'm not sure of the specific issue. :/

No, it's a store-side issue I believe. RK, Budo and myself each use different browsers. It's not a page error. We actually get a blizzard store page that says "we're sorry, your transaction cannot be processed at this time."

:(

I'm a Diablo noob, no idea what I'm doing. Playing the demo actually. How do I map skills to the F buttons? I have Blow and Howl, and I can't figure out how to map them besides to the mouse buttons.

Mr Jared

hclflow said:
Are you trying to select US East from the main menu or once you're already logged on battle.net? Try selecting US East as the Gateway from the main menu; it's the slim button right below battle.net.

If that isn't your issue, try this:

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=21138&rhtml=true

I tried both but still, nothing has changed. When I try to join US East I get a message saying "Your cd-key was intended for use with another product."

But I can play on US West just fine =\

hclflow

Immortal_Daemon said:
I joined them at the beginning, but the pace was pretty slow, so I went my own way.

But that's my point....
If people all play on the same server, things will progress a lot faster.
You guys are concerned about the extra drops on ladder...... well play non ladder and you can have them in a matter of days.
Things are a lot faster on non ladder, and it's a lot easier to get into the game.

No one I've played with so far wants rushed. They want to enjoy the entire game.

ToyMachine228 said:
I'm a Diablo noob, no idea what I'm doing. Playing the demo actually. How do I map skills to the F buttons? I have Blow and Howl, and I can't figure out how to map them besides to the mouse buttons.

You can map skills to the FKeys by clicking the skill box on the bottom left or bottom right to bring up a visual list of what you have. While hovering over the desired skill, hit the FKey you would like to bind it to and there you go. You can bind skills FKeys for left or right mouse button.

Mr Jared said:
I tried both but still, nothing has changed. When I try to join US East I get a message saying "Your cd-key was intended for use with another product."

But I can play on US West just fine =\

Apparently it's a known issue. Hopefully they'll have it fixed tomorrow. :/

Man everyone made Non-Ladder..

I made ladder so I'm not gonna restart.. too lazy and ladder is a bit more clean since they wiped it recently.

but

Ladder

TurtleSnatcher / PezRadar / YourFurryFriend / Druid / USEast

NeoUltima

Last game died...new game on ladder:

neogaf2 / neogaf

edit: or not..it keeps saying "Failed to join" when I try to make the game.

DaFish said:
I just left "neogaf5"

and last time I check "neogaf" is going on, but has lvl restriction
Hmm neogaf is telling me a ladder character can't join a non-ladder game, but I created this as a non-ladder character since that's what other gaffers were doing. Weird.

Rur0ni

Chris Remo said:
Hmm neogaf is telling me a ladder character can't join a non-ladder game, but I created this as a non-ladder character since that's what other gaffers were doing. Weird.
neogaf/neogaf is ladder right now.

hclflow

Rur0ni said:
neogaf/neogaf is ladder right now.

neogaf1/neogaf

Chris Remo said:

Yeah some of us are playing ladder now. Please don't hate me. :(

Twig

Banned
Chris Remo said:
Apparently a number of people decided to reroll on ladder. ):

Rur0ni

Chris Remo said:
Should I recreate? I'm level 18 non-ladder.
So was my non-ladder. My current ladder is 18 also. Did it in a few hours. 3-4. I notice more rare drops now btw. And first set item dropped a few mins ago.

Teknoman

Damn you lvl up fast when playing in a full party in the same area. I hardly even touched anyone last night, and then bam lvl 18.

hclflow

Chris Remo said:
Is there a game going? I've been in neogaf/neogaf for a while.

I just got done in neogaf/neogaf, taking a quick break. May be back on in an hour or so. Sorry about the ladder confusion.

Like Rur0ni said, we seem to be getting a lot more rare drops. Like, 5x as much. Maybe it's just our lucky day though.

When I get back online I'll search for anyone playing, and if I don't find a game I'll advertise one here.

ToyMachine228 said:
So I just got Diablo II, and I'm a noob. Never played a Diablo before. First of all, what are unidentified items?

An unidentified item means it's of magical grade or better, and an identification scroll needs to be used on it to reveal its stats. You can buy them in the first act from Akara, the woman in the east corner of the Rogues' encampment.

eznark

Banned
so to add to the newbness, if I just play solo, but play on battle.net I can progress with that character and jump into gaf games when available?

I just want to make sure I'm playing it right.

eznark said:
so to add to the newbness, if I just play solo, but play on battle.net I can progress with that character and jump into gaf games when available?

I just want to make sure I'm playing it right.
Yes

My druid is at 41 at the moment.. Slowly but surely getting up there.

Top Bottom