• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

Yixian

Banned
brain_stew said:
Just installed my 4850, and I'm amazed at the temps that this non-reference cooler achieves. I'm running ATI Overdrive Autotune at the moment and the thing doesn't even pass 50C wth the slowest fan speed! Its idling at about 32C as well, heck this is 45nm Intel CPU territory, and it wasn't was the cheapest 4850 available as well.

https://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-4850

£105 here for UKers

Hey nice, I'll probably pick up my 4850 from novatech at that price.

Hey brain_stew, the motherboard I had on my build has gone out of stock, I was wondering if you could recommend a good £40-£60 motherboard from eBuyer or novatech or something? Erring on the side of cost saving.

thaivo

SapientWolf said:
It also performs pretty well in World in Conflict, which is notoriously CPU bottlenecked. If the 920 overclocks well I think we will see a lot of people jumping in now instead of waiting.

019_word_in_conflict.png
Jesus 228 FPS... that's insane... I've been glad when I get 30 fps out of my Q6600 and GeForce 8500GT.. Hoping to pick up a cheap GPU sometime before the end of the year. 9800 or 8800 perhaps.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
chespace said:
What would be funny is if I set my CPU back to standard 2.8 clock and Linx or whatever throws an error. :lol

I'm stable at 3.8 @ 1.29 vcore with the rare peak temp of 72 under Prime95 for 10+ hours.

Not sure if I want to tempt fate.
I know that I read at least one post out there that claimed that Linpack won't run any CPU as fully stable indefinetely, and that you can only settle with a "degrees" of stability with it. It could really be that it only exists to test how OCD the overclocker really is. :lol

But my only familiarity with it is in reading pissed off OCer posts.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Speaking of Corei7, when can we expect to see non-insane prices on motherboards (if ever)?

Hazaro said:
The nature of it is so different. Prime 95/ORTHOS already stresses way past normal.

Stuff like CoreDamage and presumably Linx will just beat the shit out of your system.
I don't see the point.

You never know when your system may run into problems, I'd rather be 99.9% sure that I've got a rock solid stable system than not. If you prepare for the worst, you should have no problems with anything you throw at it day to day.

Plus, stressing for 30 minutes, sure beats 8 hours of Orthos.

Yixian said:
Hey nice, I'll probably pick up my 4850 from novatech at that price.

Hey brain_stew, the motherboard I had on my build has gone out of stock, I was wondering if you could recommend a good £40-£60 motherboard from eBuyer or novatech or something? Erring on the side of cost saving.

Just fitted a Gigabyte P43-DS3L in my brother's PC, couldn't recommend it enough.

I bough it from Scan, you can get free delivery from them if you sign up to www.avforums.com and make a few posts. I paid a smidgen over £60 if I recall correctly.

bee

chespace said:
What would be funny is if I set my CPU back to standard 2.8 clock and Linx or whatever throws an error. :lol

I'm stable at 3.8 @ 1.29 vcore with the rare peak temp of 72 under Prime95 for 10+ hours.

Not sure if I want to tempt fate.

prime95 takes too long to throw up errors, use intel burn test and say hello to 80c :p

http://downloads.guru3d.com/IntelBurnTest-v1.6-download-2047.html

ahh was already suggested, i've started using that though when i build pc 's for other people, so much more convenient time wise

Angry Grimace

VictimOfGrief said:
Not until we get to the P55 boards which will be around Jan/Feb or so.
I thought that P55 had a different socket than the X58? Perhaps I'm totally off.

VaLiancY

My cousin has a brand new PC. Q9950, 6GB of RAM and a 4850. I played TF2 on his rig' and I fell in love. I need a new PC to match or be better than his now.:lol It's a shame his cable connection is so shitty.

Angry Grimace said:
I thought that P55 had a different socket than the X58? Perhaps I'm totally off.

Just going to edit this to make sure nothing gets confusing. Need to do some more reading. :D

EDIT: for those who have corrected me.

Angry Grimace

VaLiancY said:
My cousin has a brand new PC. Q9950, 6GB of RAM and a 4850. I played TF2 on his rig' and I fell in love. I need a new PC to match or be better than his now.:lol It's a shame his cable connection is so shitty.
I assume you mean Q9550. That's pretty much the top end on Intel Core2's without jumping to "extreme" prices or models.

Unless you have an unlimited budget, just match him up.

Angry Grimace

VictimOfGrief said:
Well I'm pretty sure they're going to keep the continuing number count.

X38/X48 - High End Boards for the LGA 775
P35/P43/P45 - Mid-range boards for the LGA 775

As it stands now:
X58 - High end boards for the LGA 1366
P54/P55 - Mid-range boards for the LGA 1366

That's at the very least my assumption. Most manufactures have had a lead time of about 6 months to get their X58 boards out but I'm assuming the more "mid range" boards from MSI/Asus/Gigabyte etc will carry the P5x name.

Could be wrong.... but we'll see as there is very little info on what's coming down the pipe after the X58 boards.
What I heard/understood was that P55 was a board for the mainstream Lynnfield and Havendale CPUs and would be using LGA1160 rather than Socket B (1366). It does seem nonsensical that the P45 and 43 were Core2 775 boards just like X48 and P55 isn't even compatible with the Bloomfield processors, but that's what I'm reading unless I'm missing something.

http://www.guru3d.com/news/intel-p55-express-is-singlechip-due-q3-2009/

Angry Grimace said:
What I heard/understood was that P55 was a board for the mainstream Lynnfield and Havendale CPUs and would be using LGA1160 rather than Socket B (1366). It does seem nonsensical that the P45 and 43 were Core2 775 boards just like X48 and P55 isn't even compatible with the Bloomfield processors, but that's what I'm reading unless I'm missing something.

http://www.guru3d.com/news/intel-p55-express-is-singlechip-due-q3-2009/
Guess so. Man shit is changing so fvcking fast----- No way consumers are going to be able to keep up. :(

Angry Grimace said:
There's are long debates about whether stress test programs can damage your CPU, and I've never heard a definitive answer.

I DO know that Linpack seems to have done damage to some overclocker's psyches, because seems to causes failuires where no other program will.

At some point you aren't stress testing for stability, but for these test programs themselves. Realistically 100% usage on all cores for sustained periods of time never happens, even in the harshest of tasks like encoding.

zoku88

Folding is pretty good at stressing.. It's CPU utilization is mainly determined by how good the OS is at handling idleness

Look at this crap I just got in..... I thought it was the wrong type but it said 240-pin DDR2 :lol

Tested it and works.... Freaking micro-DDR2 Kingston is shipping now I guess.
1zqtqxg.jpg

I couldn't get anything stable last night, and when the PC started to crash in the BIOS and at stock, I knew something was up. Turns out I got a bad stick of RAM, I can clock to 3.6ghz with a different set of RAM and its rock solid stable, so at least I've foud out the problem. I'm missing 4GB though, Vista X64 absolutely flies with 4GB so I want to get my replacement kit as soon as possible, 2GB just doesn't cut it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
VictimOfGrief said:
Look at this crap I just got in..... I thought it was the wrong type but it said 240-pin DDR2 :lol

1zqtqxg.jpg

Why would they even do that.
It's not like RAM needs to be smaller.

question Time!!

I want to get either a GTX 280 or the 4870 X2 for next year (fingers crossed):D
anywyas, i was wondering if Getting a E6600 Quad-core would be a bottle neck for either of these graphics cards? or should I go for the 2.83 Ghz??? or will it make no difference?

evil solrac v3.0 said:
question Time!!

anywyas, i was wondering if Getting a E6600 Quad-core would be a bottle neck for either of these graphics cards? or should I go for the 2.83 Ghz??? or will it make no difference?

I believe you are talking about the Q6600, (the E6XXX series is dual cores), and if you overclock it to 3ghz it will not bottleneck either of those cards.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
VictimOfGrief said:

1zqtqxg.jpg

How's that TPS report coming along?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
evil solrac v3.0 said:
question Time!!

What do you mean next year?

Anyways the GTX 206 is seemingly going to make an appearance at the end of this year.

chespace

evil solrac v3.0 said:
question Time!!

I OC'ed my Q9550 (2.8) to 3.4, then 3.6, then 3.8 and saw FPS gains in Crysis with every bump.

Seriously, I am not convinced that even at 3.8 that my Q9550 isn't bottlenecking my 4870x2. It's a beast.

Hazaro said:
What do you mean next year?

Anyways the GTX 206 is seemingly going to make an appearance at the end of this year.

I....want to buy a New PC for next year? i don't have the money now.... :(
GTX 206 ???? differences? wait, that didn't answer my question!

chespace said:
I OC'ed my Q9550 (2.8) to 3.4, then 3.6, then 3.8 and saw FPS gains in Crysis with every bump.

Seriously, I am not convinced that even at 3.8 that my Q9550 isn't bottlenecking my 4870x2. It's a beast.

the 4870X2 or the Q9550?

would you recommend the 4870X2 over the GTX 280?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
evil solrac v3.0 said:
I....want to buy a New PC for next year? i don't have the money now.... :(
GTX 206 ???? differences? wait, that didn't answer my question!

Wait because Nvidia is unveiling 2 new GPU's, or at least 1 this year.

Never make builds in advance, since everything changes so fast. :lol

chespace

evil solrac v3.0 said:
the 4870X2 or the Q9550?

would you recommend the 4870X2 over the GTX 280?

If you can afford a better CPU, yes.

It's the faster card and beats GTX280 on any game except Crysis, where it is very competitive.

Hmmm.... choices choices... GAH!!! but good choices overall. thanks mates!!!
oh, hell. by next year there will be something new that i'm gonna want anyways... :lol :lol :lol

rc213

VictimOfGrief said:

1zqtqxg.jpg

:lol

I freaked out when I was checking out my parts at Mwave's will call. I thought I had ordered laptop ram.

KINGSTON Value Ram KVR800D2N6K2/4G 4gb kit (2gb x 2)

chespace said:

Games top out at about 3.0-3.2 ghz, you are probably experiencing the placebo effect of knowing your CPU is faster and actively looking for changes. With a few weird exceptions like WoC, all games are GPU limited.

chespace

IronicallyTwisted said:
Games top out at about 3.0-3.2 ghz, you are probably experiencing the placebo effect of knowing your CPU is faster and actively looking for changes. With a few weird exceptions like WoC, all games are GPU limited.

Well, unless the Crysis CPU1 and GPU benchmark tests lie, I was getting incremental improvements -- albeit, not a whole lot.

We're talking about bumps in the range of less than 5 fps. For instance, from 3.6 to 3.8, I got 3 fps. :lol

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
So whats up guys :p
Dont know if any of you saw my posts in the Red Alert 3 thread. But I was having major issues even trying to play the game. Friggin ATI driver was the issue. Was very upset about it. Downloaded just the driver and uninstalled, used driver sweeper in safe mode (thanks whoever recommended that). Everything is golden now.

I have never had this much problem with a video driver. How does ATI get away with this crap?

Question: If I'm building a HTPC with a 5.1 speaker setup (non-pc speakers) and I'm using a receiver, getting a sound card like the HT Omega Claro Halo would be a waste if the two are connected via coaxial/optical, right? Yeah. I don't know anything about A/V hardware - just the bare minimum to operate the shit. Does the source (soundcard) matter if it's the receiver that does all of the audio processing for movies like DTS and junk? I may or may not have some incorrect presumptions on how any of this stuff works with to begin with. I have no idea. Onboard mobo audio may be sufficient for all I know :p

Wolffen

I'm looking at some systems that I can get through work at a decent price, and I'm trying to figure out which processor would work best for my needs. I have a choice of an E8400 (3GHz Core2Duo), or a Q9300 (Quad Core 2.5GHz). While I will be doing some gaming, the key use of the PC will be running Adobe CS4 software, primarily Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, along with Office 2007 basics (Outlook and Word) and browsers (all at once...I'm planning on 6GB of RAM in the system and a second HDD for Photoshop/Illustrator scratch disk). Is the E8400 safely overclockable for a hardware noob? What about the Q9300?

edit: and I just found out that a Q6600 might be an option too...

bee

Yixian said:
Aaanyone regarding the motherboard?

for £35, yeah get it

having said that, it only supports e5200 with latest f5a beta bios or so gigabyte claim on their website anyway. but it also says my mobo won't support certain chips on certains bioses and its wrong

Wolffen said:
I'm looking at some systems that I can get through work at a decent price, and I'm trying to figure out which processor would work best for my needs. I have a choice of an E8400 (3GHz Core2Duo), or a Q9300 (Quad Core 2.5GHz). While I will be doing some gaming, the key use of the PC will be running Adobe CS4 software, primarily Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, along with Office 2007 basics (Outlook and Word) and browsers (all at once...I'm planning on 6GB of RAM in the system and a second HDD for Photoshop/Illustrator scratch disk). Is the E8400 safely overclockable for a hardware noob? What about the Q9300?

edit: and I just found out that a Q6600 might be an option too...

You can't go wrong with any of those. I will say though that there probably isn't any good practical reason to pay a price premium for the Q9300 over the Q6600. I easily have my Q6600 at 3.4GHz with an OCZ Vendetta 2, and could go to 3.6GHz if I wanted. I'd decide if you think it's worth it to go quad-core, than you know whether to get the E8400 or Q6600. I'm still not sure whether a quad-core is worth it, cause I don't see any performance improvement in my benchmarks over those who benchmark with equal frequency dual-cores, but it makes me feel better that it's theoretically more future proof.

Yixian

Banned
bee said:
for £35, yeah get it

having said that, it only supports e5200 with latest f5a beta bios or so gigabyte claim on their website anyway. but it also says my mobo won't support certain chips on certains bioses and its wrong

It's not gonna impede my OCing is it? I'm gonna need to OC that E5200 pretty high so as not to bottleneck the 4850, amirite?

bee

Yixian said:
It's not gonna impede my OCing is it? I'm gonna need to OC that E5200 pretty high so as not to bottleneck the 4850, amirite?

shouldn't have thought so i certainly wouldn't trust any "reviews" on these retail sites

if its true though and only f5a bios supports the e5200, then it will fail to boot if it comes with any other bios loaded. not sure whether i'd trust the gigabyte site or not, you can always flash it with another cpu installed if you have another 775 socket cpu lying around

3-3.5ghz is fine for a 4850

Wolffen

njp142 said:
You can't go wrong with any of those. I will say though that there probably isn't any good practical reason to pay a price premium for the Q9300 over the Q6600. I easily have my Q6600 at 3.4GHz with an OCZ Vendetta 2, and could go to 3.6GHz if I wanted. I'd decide if you think it's worth it to go quad-core, than you know whether to get the E8400 or Q6600. I'm still not sure whether a quad-core is worth it, cause I don't see any performance improvement in my benchmarks over those who benchmark with equal frequency dual-cores, but it makes me feel better that it's theoretically more future proof.

Cool. Thanks for the info!

I'll probably be building a new PC soon, and I want to make sure I get the PSU right since my last PSU frying is what's prompting this likely bit of shopping.

I plan on running a Core 2 Duo and a graphics card in the neighborhood of GeForce 9800 GT/Radeon 3850/Radeon 4850. What wattage should I be looking at here? What manufacturers can I trust? How low can I go price-wise before straying into lemon territory? I don't want to skimp but I don't want to overspend either.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
BrodiemanTTR said:
I'll probably be building a new PC soon, and I want to make sure I get the PSU right since my last PSU frying is what's prompting this likely bit of shopping.

I plan on running a Core 2 Duo and a graphics card in the neighborhood of GeForce 9800 GT/Radeon 3850/Radeon 4850. What wattage should I be looking at here? What manufacturers can I trust? How low can I go price-wise before straying into lemon territory? I don't want to skimp but I don't want to overspend either.

EA380W low power, high quality.
Corsair 450/520

Don't need more than 500W for that system.

Some good guilds are the Antec EarthWatts, Corsair, and the Rosewill 500w is a good unit for the price.

Hajaz

Hazaro said:
>Xtreme Systems
>1.575V
>No doubt suicide air, or water cooling, not to mention Dry Ice or Liquid Nitrogen

Cooler is a Tuniq Tower actually
and its a new cpu... voltage limits are going to be different from c2d

82658442sn5.png

temps look good

Top Bottom