• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

SRG01

zoku88 said:
I don't think Civilization IV can take advantage of multiple cores. I've never seen it use more than one, anyway (AFAIK.)

I don't think some of those games on the list do, they're waaay to old. (Quake 3? Are you really sure about that?)

Civ4 for sure can't use multiple cores. If it did, it wouldn't slow down to a crawl between turns on a really large map late in the game.

LordK

Hm, the tuniq tower 120 instructions are pure ass. I'm also a moron. So the two together is no good! I had to go to a friend to get the "curve" portions grinded of the bar that keeps the heat sink down on the cpu because it ran into crap on my mobo. I initially installed the tower at a different rotation and had the fan blowing against the psu fan (i didn't know it was blowing that way.. haha). Once I got that crap grinded off and remounted the tower, I'm getting like 24 C idle. When I oc'ed to the q6600 to 2.7 GHz, I got max of 40C on about 80 percent load. Let's just say I'm much happier. I'll clock it back down to stock until I really need to OC it.

Unfortunately I have to RMA my ram since one of my sticks is a piece of shit :(

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sciz said:
I've come to the conclusion that the stock Intel cooler's mounting pins are shit. The first two go in ok, the third one takes a fair amount of effort, and the fourth requires you to have the strength of Hercules and subsequently a motherboard forged by Hephaestus to avoid cracking the thing in two. Fortunately I meet both of these requirements, and the system booted up to a nice cool 30C. Now I just need to make sure the processor wasn't damaged in my prior testing, and figure out why the POST is reporting an E8400 at 2.83 Ghz.
:lol

You just have to space out or clamp the pins. Takes some effort, too many people whine about this imo.

Sciz

son of a bitch

The last three hours, in summary:

-Insert Vista disc, wait, keep waiting, reach installation, dead end at partition selection when it complains about the system volume not meeting installation requirements
-Retry Vista, hang at blank screen with mouse (three or four times)
-Check connections (they're fine)
-Insert XP disc, watch it load files and such, dead end at partition selection when it complains about not being able to format the drive
-Insert Vista disc, wait as it hangs at the blue/teal screen for a while, dick around with the integrated PartDisk utility (which only detects the DVD drive), the installer suddenly pops up in the background, and deads end at partition selection when it can't find anything, and looking for drivers on the motherboard disc is fruitless
-Download and run Seagate diagnostic utility, which fails to find any drives
-Listen to my HDD, which has developed an interesting and regular ticking sound
-Resist temptation to return the entire system
-Bitch on GAF

Tomorrow I plan to run out to Office Depot, get a decent WD drive, and package this one up for return to Newegg on Monday.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sciz said:
son of a bitch

The last three hours, in summary:

-Bitch on GAF

Tomorrow I plan to run out to Office Depot, get a decent WD drive, and package this one up for return to Newegg on Monday.

Most likely they would be carrying 500GB WD5000AAKS drives, which are the 500GB drives of course. If they have 640GB version all the better if the price isn't much higher.

Danj

Hazaro said:
:lol

You just have to space out or clamp the pins. Takes some effort, too many people whine about this imo.

I think part of the problem is that a lot people don't know that there's actually a way of doing it. You do them two at a time, diagonally:

alktmp.png

(sorry for the crappy diagram)

You do 1 and 2 together, and then 3 and 4 together. If you try and do them one at a time then the force is unevenly distributed which makes putting each next pin in harder than the last.

Medic

Neo Member
I have an E8400, Asus P5Q3, HIS HD4850 TurboX, and WD 640 gig HDD coming in. I feel pretty good about these parts, but I'm struggling to find a case and PSU to go with them, mostly since I don't want a huge, noisy case or to spend a ton on a power supply when I don't need the extra wattage.
I'm leaning towards the Antec p180/182 (depending on sales) and the Corsair 450VX. Would 450 watts be enough to run this system without 'stressing' the PSU? Has anyone had any experience with the p180? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks PC GAF.

rc213

Medic said:
I have an E8400, Asus P5Q3, HIS HD4850 TurboX, and WD 640 gig HDD coming in. I feel pretty good about these parts, but I'm struggling to find a case and PSU to go with them, mostly since I don't want a huge, noisy case or to spend a ton on a power supply when I don't need the extra wattage.
I'm leaning towards the Antec p180/182 (depending on sales) and the Corsair 450VX. Would 450 watts be enough to run this system without 'stressing' the PSU? Has anyone had any experience with the p180? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks PC GAF.

I have that case you linked to and have some pics somewhere that I could post. Also the Antec Earthwatts 650 is on sale again, Even cheaper than when I got it. I got it based on the great review it got on jonnyguru.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015&Tpk=ea650
$49.99

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Medic said:

That 450 is fine. If you want cheap and reliable, buy an antec case/psu combo.

I also recieved a new Coleman QuickPump (I got the new model back!) from the one I sent in like 4 weeks ago, and I revved it up to clean out my computer which hadn't been cleaned in like 6+ months, my goodness... :lol

p.s. If you can buy the DC corded version of this, for like $15 it beats canned air. It's powerful and small enough to clear out almost everything and now my case looks spotless :D

2000000834_500.jpg

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000000834&categoryid=10060

+

CompOct08.jpg

Now imagine that, but twice as dusty :lol :lol

It was like a giant ash volcano :lol
I should of recorded it.

2 minutes after, only using the pump:

141i9eb.jpg

rc213

Hazaro said:
RocketFish (Rebranded LianLi)

You can still fine some of them for $48-$72, to full price of $108 at BestBuy's

Blah, I tried getting one for a month but they were always gone by the time I got to BestBuy. Settled on a used P180 I found locally through Anandtech.

Cheeto

Hazaro said:
RocketFish (Rebranded LianLi)

You can still fine some of them for $48-$72, to full price of $108 at BestBuy's
I like the layout. I've got this thing:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144151

And I recommend it to only enemies. It's cramped inside, the front panel lights are annoying and a pain to turn off, front panel sound plugs don't work, and its not all that quiet. I bought it based on its cheap price and newegg reviews...so I'm getting a new case in my next build.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Hazaro said:
That 450 is fine. If you want cheap and reliable, buy an antec case/psu combo.

I also recieved a new Coleman QuickPump (I got the new model back!) from the one I sent in like 4 weeks ago, and I revved it up to clean out my computer which hadn't been cleaned in like 6+ months, my goodness... :lol

p.s. If you can buy the DC corded version of this, for like $15 it beats canned air. It's powerful and small enough to clear out almost everything and now my case looks spotless :D

2000000834_500.jpg

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000000834&categoryid=10060
I just got 2 more cans. The problem with the cans is that I always feel that my brother will open one and play with it. I should be picking this pump at the end of the month. Thank you for the link.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Cheeto said:
I like the layout. I've got this thing:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144151

And I recommend it to only enemies. It's cramped inside, the front panel lights are annoying and a pain to turn off, front panel sound plugs don't work, and its not all that quiet. I bought it based on its cheap price and newegg reviews...so I'm getting a new case in my next build.

I personally favor the CM690 over the rocketfish, since I only do air cooling.
Both are nice.

As for godhandiscen: The DC version ( http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5999C120&categoryid=10060 )is much cheaper, but I'm not sure how much the cord will get in the way, but it seems more powerful.
If you do get the cordless, then make sure it's the newer model (One I linked), it's considerably more powerful than the old one I sent in. (New one has that 6 blade design on side)

dork

Banned
im building my pc for the second time. First time in almost 5 years, alot of this stuff is new to me

if anyone could help a fellow gaffer out on aim, i would appreciate the hell out of you

dork1337 -aim

i got the mobo mounted and processor in, just put in psu

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
madmook said:
You shouldn't set the computer on carpet.

Eh, it sits a little bit above the carpet and it's been fine for over a year.

I've lugged it over 5 times as well, no issues.

dork

Banned
Ok turned on my new pc, and have vista trying to install. Is this the slowest install process ever?

I mean I haven't even made it to the install part, it sat on a blueish screen for 10 minutes, and then takes a good 10 minutes for every menu. I assume its only this slow because of the first bootup?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
dork said:
Ok turned on my new pc, and have vista trying to install. Is this the slowest install process ever?

I mean I haven't even made it to the install part, it sat on a blueish screen for 10 minutes, and then takes a good 10 minutes for every menu. I assume its only this slow because of the first bootup?

aslong as it's doing something, it should be fine.

i've had no vista experience, but i remember xp installs taking some time.

dork

Banned
question-

my case manual said the psu should face out (its a bottom psu) by out i mean the bottom of the case vent

my friends all said face up

which is it?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
dork said:
question-

my case manual said the psu should face out (its a bottom psu) by out i mean the bottom of the case vent

my friends all said face up

which is it?

Either way, the PSU doesn't care.

It'll get colder air is intake is down, but intake warmer air if intake is up to slightly cool your computer.

If you have anything to let air out besides your PSU I'd put it down so it draws in colder air.

dork

Banned
Hazaro said:
Either way, the PSU doesn't care.

It'll get colder air is intake is down, but intake warmer air if intake is up to slightly cool your computer.

If you have anything to let air out besides your PSU I'd put it down so it draws in colder air.

im going to put a 120mm fan on top pointing up to blow out hot air, and another 120 on the side pointing in, so its cooling the computer while taking the hot air up and out

also you dont set pc's on carpeet because of static electricity

same reason you dont set a console on the carpet

Cheeto

dork said:
im going to put a 120mm fan on top pointing up to blow out hot air, and another 120 on the side pointing in, so its cooling the computer while taking the hot air up and out

also you dont set pc's on carpeet because of static electricity

same reason you dont set a console on the carpet
A, the components in the PC and Consoles are grounded. B, you don't put a console on the carpet because they rely on air venting that is very close to the bottom or sometimes on the bottom of the unit (like the 360). Carpet will often block those holes and retain heat in the fiber causing overheating.

There's nothing wrong with putting most PC's on carpet. Vents are usually far away from so heat retention isn't an issue. The only problem you may have is dust, but that's still going to be a problem on a solid surface.

Medic

Neo Member
rc213 said:
I have that case you linked to and have some pics somewhere that I could post. Also the Antec Earthwatts 650 is on sale again, Even cheaper than when I got it. I got it based on the great review it got on jonnyguru.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015&Tpk=ea650
$49.99

Thanks. I saw that 650w supply and will probably get it even though I don't need nearly that much wattage. How's the fan noise on it? Now just to find a decent deal on a p180.

Has anyone had experience with the Sonata III and a large, hot card like the 4850? I imagine there will be another deal on this case (just missed the last one for 45 bucks), but I'm worried it will be too cramped/unable to exhaust enough heat. Getting that would make my build quite a bit cheaper.

I also recieved a new Coleman QuickPump (I got the new model back!) from the one I sent in like 4 weeks ago, and I revved it up to clean out my computer which hadn't been cleaned in like 6+ months, my goodness...

p.s. If you can buy the DC corded version of this, for like $15 it beats canned air. It's powerful and small enough to clear out almost everything and now my case looks spotless

Wow, I think I'll pick one of those up.

rc213

Medic said:
Thanks. I saw that 650w supply and will probably get it even though I don't need nearly that much wattage. How's the fan noise on it? Now just to find a decent deal on a p180.

Has anyone had experience with the Sonata III and a large, hot card like the 4850? I imagine there will be another deal on this case (just missed the last one for 45 bucks), but I'm worried it will be too cramped/unable to exhaust enough heat. Getting that would make my build quite a bit cheaper.

Wow, I think I'll pick one of those up.

Found a quote from a user who got one and had issues with a 4870.

I just built a system with this case on Saturday, and I have to say that I am very impressed with it. The only issues I had were that the case isn't long enough to fit a HD 4870 and a front case fan, and the rear pannel of the case is not removable. Other than that, I was very impressed with the quality of this "budget" case. I love the Optical tray rails, the sideways HDD rails, and the solid construction and rubber feet. I would definitely buy one again.

Medic

Neo Member
Found a quote from a user who got one and had issues with a 4870.

Hmm, that's what I was worried about. Running a 4850 with a single exhaust fan and no intake fan seems like it could be an issue. The again, I haven't upgraded my computer since 2003, so I'm not exactly up to date on modern cooling and airflow requirements. :lol

Ran into a problem: the motherboard I bought only has one IDE connector, and my HD and DVD drive don't have need one; the HD doesn't have SATA dammit.

Is there anything I can do to get around that, or do I have to spend more money? And if I have to spend more, do I have to buy another HD (with SATA) or are there some DVD drives that support SATA connectors?

Two questions:

What's the final verdict, should I get a 1gb ATI 4870 or a 896mb Nvidia GTX 260 with the upgraded Processing cores (or universal shaders) and increased ROPS.

and If I plan on having an Kentsfield quad core processor, one of the above video cards, two hard drives, dvd burner, two 120 mm fans, and want to possibly run CF Or SLI in the future, should I get a 850 watt power supply or just a 650 w as the 850 w would be overkill?

zoku88

Kadey said:
Upgraded my lappy's ram. Runs much faster. Now I need a bigger SSD and I'll bet set for a while.
while you are upgrading your laptop's memory, mine is suffering from memory problems (that arent actually the RAM sticks themselves, T_T )

if my q6600 has a 1066 fsb does that mean it can only go to motherboards with a 1066 fsb or can i go lower than what the mobo says.

basic can i put a 1066fsb in a 1333/1600 fsb Mobo?
OR

Can i putthis
into this this

im pretty sure im fine but i was just making sure, thanks in advance

lachesis

Shinz Kicker said:
if my q6600 has a 1066 fsb does that mean it can only go to motherboards with a 1066 fsb or can i go lower than what the mobo says.
can this
go with this

im pretty sure im fine but i was just making sure, thanks in advance

You should be fine. your mobo should accept 1066 fsb w/o any problem.
At the same time, you'll probably get g0 stepping Q6600, so it would OC to 1333 (3.0ghz) no problem at all.

H.Cornerstone said:
Two questions:

What's the final verdict, should I get a 1gb ATI 4870 or a 896mb Nvidia GTX 260 with the upgraded Processing cores (or universal shaders) and increased ROPS.

and If I plan on having an Kentsfield quad core processor, one of the above video cards, two hard drives, dvd burner, two 120 mm fans, and want to possibly run CF Or SLI in the future, should I get a 850 watt power supply or just a 650 w as the 850 w would be overkill?
From my understanding is that the latest GTX260 are better than the 4870 1Gb at most games, but not all. Also, what resolution will you be playing on, and what brand of PSU will you be buying? Do NOT go cheap on the PSU, but im sure you already know this.

Labombadog said:
From my understanding is that the latest GTX260 are better than the 4870 1Gb at most games, but not all. Also, what resolution will you be playing on, and what brand of PSU will you be buying? Do NOT go cheap on the PSU, but im sure you already know this.

Well, I am going to be switching between a 22 inch Samsung (1650x1080) and my 1080p Sony TV (1920 x 1080).

I was planning on buying an ANTEC

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371009)

That one to be exact because Newegg has it for $100 off.

dork

Banned
I got my 2x120mm fans in the mail today, it came with no screws, and the screws from my case do not fit, how do i mount this mother?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Vaporak said:
Hey, anyone know a good place to look for Black Friday deals on computer hardware?
The Fry's Ad should be leaked sometime tomorrow. Newegg might do something for "Cyber Monday" but I wouldn't get my hopes up after last year.

Sciz said:
I've come to the conclusion that the stock Intel cooler's mounting pins are shit. The first two go in ok, the third one takes a fair amount of effort, and the fourth requires you to have the strength of Hercules and subsequently a motherboard forged by Hephaestus to avoid cracking the thing in two. Fortunately I meet both of these requirements, and the system booted up to a nice cool 30C. Now I just need to make sure the processor wasn't damaged in my prior testing, and figure out why the POST is reporting an E8400 at 2.83 Ghz.

Intel pushpins are the spawn of satan, God I hate those things.

Top Bottom