• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

mr stroke

godhandiscen said:
I am running the game in 1280x800. Also I do get horrible drops in very heavy shooting. It isnt that bad, its still playable. However, I just cannot stand it. I am installing the CubanConfig right now. If that doesn't fix the problem then its bye bye Crysis, I am not going to put up with this shit anymore. I can still play UT3 everything maxed without any stupid framerate drop. Crytek dropped the ball imo.

+1

I am just as pissed as you. A fucking 450$ brand new card can't even play Crysis on low res settings with out major drops in frame rate:lol
unbeliveable!!!!! I guess I can't be too mad as the 3870x2 is a monster on everything else...UT,COH,and TF2 all play maxed at 1920x1200.

Vagabundo

I'm looking for a good mid-level card with a passive heatsink or heat pipe,, anyone any ideas?

I already have a 7900GS, it is <urgh> okay.

:D

mr stroke

aznpxdd said:
G80, 320MB. =\

And its $160 shipped with a $30 rebate.

Here's one for $115 AR, but I personally rather go for a 9600GT.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130082

Hmmmm, the 9600 seems like a steal!
Anyone know if you could Tri SLI three 9600gt's?
I haven't seen any benchmarks for 3 9600s together, but at only 420$ for three it seems like a hell of a deal considering it should be able to beat a 3870x2 or a 9800gx2??

Vagabundo

I've decided I'm going to probably get the
Sapphire HD3850 512Mb PCI-Express card.

I'm finding it hard to get a site that has that card that will ship to Ireland, anyone got any that they have used?

If it is a Pentium 4 (the Dell site says that the Dimension 4200 is a Pentium III!) and it has an AGP slot, AND your power supply can support it, there is an AGP version of the HD 3850 card available for around $200.

Still won't be enough to play Supreme Commander or Crysis worth a damn, though.

Oops... my mistake. It's actually a Dimension 2400, and it is Pentium 4.

BeeDog

Gonna upgrade my PC this week, and so far I've decided on these two components:

Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 (2.6 GHz, 12 MB cache)

What kind of memory (DDR2, up to PC9600) would you dudes recommend? Shouldn't be too expensive (I need 4 GB) but it shouldn't be some cheap crap either. :D

eznark

Banned
So I installed the Freezer 7 pro last night, and it was super easy. Only thing is, I'm not really seeing a big temperature decrease? Still right around the 45-50 mark with all cores?

eznark said:
So I installed the Freezer 7 pro last night, and it was super easy. Only thing is, I'm not really seeing a big temperature decrease? Still right around the 45-50 mark with all cores?
Did you wipe off the thermal paste you had on there, get it clean, reapply new paste, then put the new cooler on?

eznark

Banned
VictimOfGrief said:
Did you wipe off the thermal paste you had on there, get it clean, reapply new paste, then put the new cooler on?

yep, followed the instructions. Out of curiosity, why was this necessary?

Davidion

VictimOfGrief said:

Yeah that's crucial.

To be specific, wipe off and clean completely, then drop a sub-pea sized shape ball of thermal paste onto the top of the processor. Spread evenly with a card, and install the cooler.

eznark said:
yep, followed the instructions. Out of curiosity, why was this necessary?
Needs to make a new bond with the CPU (IE be adhesive).

Some people make the mistake of taking off the stock cooler, putting the aftermarket one on and then see higher temps because they didn't clean off the proc before putting the new fan on.

eznark

Banned
VictimOfGrief said:
Needs to make a new bond with the CPU (IE be adhesive).

Some people make the mistake of taking off the stock cooler, putting the aftermarket one on and then see higher temps because they didn't clean off the proc before putting the new fan on.

Well, I did totally wipe off the CPU. I was somewhat puzzled as the instructions never stated to add more paste, which I did anyway as it seemed like an obvious and necessary step?

eznark said:
Well, I did totally wipe off the CPU. I was somewhat puzzled as the instructions never stated to add more paste, which I did anyway as it seemed like an obvious and necessary step?
Did you use the stuff that came with the new cooler? And yes putting more paste on after you wipe it off is indeed needed.

I've got Arctic Silver 5 on my rig and my temps are lower than what stock paste usually provides.

eznark

Banned
VictimOfGrief said:
Did you use the stuff that came with the new cooler? And yes putting more paste on after you wipe it off is indeed needed.

I've got Arctic Silver 5 on my rig and my temps are lower than what stock paste usually provides.

Nothing came with the new cooler. It seems there was already a coat on it, possibly, now that i think about it? Would putting extra on top if that be a bad idea?

Is it wort a shot to just take it off, wipe it and the CPU down, add a dollop of thermal paste, and do it over?

Davidion

eznark said:
Nothing came with the new cooler. It seems there was already a coat on it, possibly, now that i think about it? Would putting extra on top if that be a bad idea?

Is it wort a shot to just take it off, wipe it and the CPU down, add a dollop of thermal paste, and do it over?

Yup. Spend a couple of bucks and get a tube of arctic silver and reapply, it's worth a shot.

Overapplying the paste will actually heat up your processor, however, so don't go pouring that stuff on. You need a nice thin coat of the stuff between the cooler and the processor.

eznark said:

Well some of them come with strips of the thermal paste on them already. If you put a little extra on and the cooler had some on the bottom of it, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

However if you're still seeing those high of temps, I would consider getting some Arctic Silver since aren't you running a Q6600?

Vagabundo

eznark said:

That could be causing the difference, the paste is there to ensure a good thermal connection to the heatsink as there are imperfections in the cpu and heatsink that may cause heat spots. But too much paste and you will get the paste acting as an insulator and you'll not get the maximum out of the cooler.

A lot of heat sinks come with enough paste on them already, so if you want to use a better paste you have to clean off the heatsink and cpu.

eznark

Banned
Thanks all. I actually have a tube of something or other, not sure the brand just picked it up at microcenter when I built the computer. I'll disassemble and give er a re-do tonight when I get home from work.

Also, how do you control the speed of the CPU fan?

eznark

Banned
VictimOfGrief said:
Well some of them come with strips of the thermal paste on them already. If you put a little extra on and the cooler had some on the bottom of it, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

However if you're still seeing those high of temps, I would consider getting some Arctic Silver since aren't you running a Q6600?

yeah, I have a Q6600 OC'd to 3.0 right now. I ran a stress test for about 30 minutes last night after getting the new heat sink on, and while temps rose there were no stability issues, so...

Need a little advice..

Im debating starting a new comp from scratch or to just toss in a new graphics card and some memory into my 2 year old 3.6GHz P4.

My goal is to get games (Dunno. Warhammer in October?) running in 2560x1600 to make full use of my Dell 3007.

Any suggestions, ideas? Is it worth upgrading my old box with a new card?

Will it render games @ max rez and not have massive framerate droppage?

Help!

I go back and forth!

aznpxdd

NarcissisticJay said:
Need a little advice..

Im debating starting a new comp from scratch or to just toss in a new graphics card and some memory into my 2 year old 3.6GHz P4.

My goal is to get games (Dunno. Warhammer in October?) running in 2560x1600 to make full use of my Dell 3007.

Help!

I go back and forth!

Start from scratch. Your P4 will bottleneck whatever videocard you get to hell.

NarcissisticJay said:
Need a little advice..

Help!

I go back and forth!

Buy a new PC. I upgraded from a P4 3.2 w/ HT, AGP to my new rig and it's night and day difference.

Kosma

Banned
NarcissisticJay said:
Need a little advice..

Help!

I go back and forth!

I'll add my voice to the chorus: build a new rig.

eznark

Banned
Quick question, what are you guys using to monitor your core temps? I am getting conflicting readings from the EasyTunePro program that came with my mobo and Core Temp

zaidr

eznark said:
Quick question, what are you guys using to monitor your core temps? I am getting conflicting readings from the EasyTunePro program that came with my mobo and Core Temp

Go with the higher temp, and adjust accordingly?
I'd say stick with coretemp's readings, as they're at least match with HWMonitor's temps.

zaidr

eznark said:
yeah, I have a Q6600 OC'd to 3.0 right now. I ran a stress test for about 30 minutes last night after getting the new heat sink on, and while temps rose there were no stability issues, so...

I'd suggest AS5 for your TIM, as I used the stuff that came with my fan, and changing to AS5 resulted in 4C drop in temps in load. Might mean the difference between 3.0 and 3.1, eh?

eznark

Banned
zaidr said:
I'd suggest AS5 for your TIM, as I used the stuff that came with my fan, and changing to AS5 resulted in 4C drop in temps in load. Might mean the difference between 3.0 and 3.1, eh?

huh?

I think I decyphered what you said. I used something called Noctua NT-H1 for the thermal compound. However, I did not scrape off the stuff that was on the new heatsink, as I didn't realize that is what it was.

I'll redo it tomorrow or this weekend.

Quake1028

Here's my rig:

P4 2.8
1.5 gigs RAM
Radeon 9800 Pro

I know this won't play anything super recent. Question is, can anyone recommend me the most recent good games that my rig could handle fairly well?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
So today I tested Crysis on a 9800GX (friend of mine). I was truly convinced I was the only one on the loser's boat and was all pissed at myself because of my decision of sticking with ATI. well, it seems that not even the 9800GX can handle it without framerate drops. WTF? My friend's PC was chugging the same way my computer was, in the same instances, and he even got 2 frames less on the GPU test. WTF? Good fucking thing I upgraded thinking about Starcraft. I will pop Crysis in a bault to never open it until I have proper hardware that can handle it. I am done with the game. I'll get to enjoy it all for the first time in the future.

zaidr

eznark said:
huh?

I think I decyphered what you said. I used something called Noctua NT-H1 for the thermal compound. However, I did not scrape off the stuff that was on the new heatsink, as I didn't realize that is what it was.

I'll redo it tomorrow or this weekend.

Rereading what I wrote, it may have come off a bit dense.

I realize you don't have any significant problems with what you have now, but you'll get lower temperatures if you apply a metal-based thermal compound (like Arctic Silver 5, which uses silver as the heat conductor). And that may make the difference between staying stable at 3.0ghz, or being able to push your overclock even further.

zaidr

godhandiscen said:
So today I tested Crysis on a 9800GX (friend of mine). I was truly convinced I was the only one on the loser's boat and was all pissed at myself because of my decision of sticking with ATI. well, it seems that not even the 9800GX can handle it without framerate drops. WTF? My friend's PC was chugging the same way my computer was, in the same instances, and he even got 2 frames less on the GPU test. WTF? Good fucking thing I upgraded thinking about Starcraft. I will pop Crysis in a bault to never open it until I have proper hardware that can handle it. I am done with the game. I'll get to enjoy it all for the first time in the future.

What kind of problems are you facing. I don't remember exactly, I recall you having a pretty nice system...

I'm getting a good low 40's, with occasional dips to low 30's / low 20's, with my modest setup:

e2160 @3.0ghz
2Gig RAM DDR2-800
8800GT OC

Were you expecting locked 60fps? What were your concerns...i'm surprised you couldn't get at least 45fps steady (steady enough...) with a 9800.

mr stroke

zaidr said:
What kind of problems are you facing. I don't remember exactly, I recall you having a pretty nice system...

I'm getting a good low 40's, with occasional dips to low 30's / low 20's, with my modest setup:

e2160 @3.0ghz
2Gig RAM DDR2-800
8800GT OC

Were you expecting locked 60fps? What were your concerns...i'm surprised you couldn't get at least 45fps steady (steady enough...) with a 9800.

I think me and godhandiscen have almost identical systems, and while I am not expecting to run at 60fps maxed out, I am at least expecting to run at 25-30fps@768res on high with a brand new rig.

my Rig-
AMD 6400+
4 Gigs RAM DDR2
3870x2

I can play everything else out right now maxed @1920x1200 and get 30-60fps.(even World in Conflict) To drop 450$ on a card that can't even play Crysis is a fucking joke, I tried to get through the night beach level last night and couldn't even play through some spots with out getting 4-5fps, the game for me is almost unplayable(sad too because the game its self rocks) I am almost starting to agree with the "bad Crytek programing" :(

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It doesn't matter how powerful your PC is. Whether tri-sli or one uber card, the framerate will never stay constant throughout the whole game. People are always tweaking files and drivers to no avail.

eznark

Banned
So i took the heatsink off, cleaned it and the CPU up, put on the Noctua thermal compound I have, slapped that shit back together, and dropped my temps another 5C.

Awesome. So I am running at about 38C overclocked to 3.0. Any chance I can get to 3.4?

aznpxdd

mr stroke said:
I think me and godhandiscen have almost identical systems, and while I am not expecting to run at 60fps maxed out, I am at least expecting to run at 25-30fps@768res on high with a brand new rig.

my Rig-
AMD 6400+
4 Gigs RAM DDR2
3870x2

I can play everything else out right now maxed @1920x1200 and get 30-60fps.(even World in Conflict) To drop 450$ on a card that can't even play Crysis is a fucking joke, I tried to get through the night beach level last night and couldn't even play through some spots with out getting 4-5fps, the game for me is almost unplayable(sad too because the game its self rocks) I am almost starting to agree with the "bad Crytek programing" :(

Heh, there's something wrong with your rig then. I can play Crysis comfortably (25-40 FPS) on my e8400 and OC'ed 8800GT at 1280x1024 on half high and other half very high.

eznark said:
So i took the heatsink off, cleaned it and the CPU up, put on the Noctua thermal compound I have, slapped that shit back together, and dropped my temps another 5C.

Awesome. So I am running at about 38C overclocked to 3.0. Any chance I can get to 3.4?

Probably will have to start upping the voltages too.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
mr stroke said:

my Rig-
AMD 6400+
4 Gigs RAM DDR2
3870x2

I wont go below 20fps, but I am very demanding when it comes to framerates. My rig is the same as you but I have a Phenom 9850BE. Dude I get 60fps in UT3 maxed out. Something is very wrong with Crysis, I am done with it. Installing UT3 as we speak.

Top Bottom