• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

Cheeto

aznpxdd said:
You want at least 4GB of ram if you are running any version of Vista. I have around 5 programs up right now and its using 1.8/8GB.
Not really. 2 gigs is plenty for the 32-bit versions. If you are running 64bit, you can use whatever your motherboard will handle.

Fake Edit:
My crap laptop here at work currently has running: Outlook 2007, Firefox with 7 tabs, a Groove Workspace, Visual C# 2008, Trillian, Putty, Excel 2007, and FileZilla with an open transfer. All that is taking up a whopping 48%(less then 1gb) of my total memory.

zbarron

Here's my specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 OC'd to 3.0
2GB DDR2 RAM
Creative Blaster Audigy 7.1 sound card
Ati HD 3850 (just got it today)
160+500GB HDDs
Vista Ultimate 64-bit
350W PSU
Sharp Aquos 720p HDTV

I'm able to run everything I throw at it on max. The framerate isn't perfect, but for a mid-range PC it's not bad. My terrible power supply won't let me OC my GPU.

Crysis looks amazing on very high.
33oqm34.jpg

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
aznpxdd said:
You want at least 4GB of ram if you are running any version of Vista. I have around 5 programs up right now and its using 1.8/8GB.
You must be running the 64 bit version like I do. Remember that the 64 bit version uses more memory for the addressing. 8GB of ram is what Vista 64 should have.

SRG01

zbarron said:
Here's my specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 OC'd to 3.0
2GB DDR2 RAM
Creative Blaster Audigy 7.1 sound card
Ati HD 3850 (just got it today)
160+500GB HDDs
Vista Ultimate 64-bit
350W PSU
Sharp Aquos 720p HDTV

At 720p, you should be able to run nearly everything at awesome framerates. :D

Does OCing your CPU make that much of a difference on Crysis at 1280x720? I would assume that you'd hit your GPU bottleneck first... Maybe stock speed your CPU and see if you can use that extra room to OC your GPU instead?

zbarron

SRG01 said:
At 720p, you should be able to run nearly everything at awesome framerates. :D

Does OCing your CPU make that much of a difference on Crysis at 1280x720? I would assume that you'd hit your GPU bottleneck first... Maybe stock speed your CPU and see if you can use that extra room to OC your GPU instead?
About a 1-2 frame difference if that. I'll try that. I originally overclocked my CPU to watch a 1080p30 video, but that was with my old GPU.

Manp

aznpxdd said:

you can't really tell that way. Vista uses the available ram in a very different way than XP does. a certain amount is always used for cache to speed up certain processes but that memory can still be freed if needed.

personally i'd never go back to the way XP handles this. there's no point in having a lot of memory always free when that same memory can be used to make the system feel more responsive but, at the same time, be used by your programs when actually needed.

:)

aznpxdd

Try Helder's config for Crysis, looks sooo much better than stock very high. Here it is running at 1280x1024 on my rig.

crysis642008-04-2422-48-59-93.jpg

SRG01

zbarron said:
About a 1-2 frame difference if that. I'll try that. I originally overclocked my CPU to watch a 1080p30 video, but that was with my old GPU.

The 3850 should have onboard HD video decoding acceleration, I believe. Most HD decoding is unbound from the CPU these days.

Kosma

Banned
Yaaay I just got a new laptop , it's a simple one but my first and I love it. The store I bought my dead PS3 offered me 500 euro in store credit cause that pile of junk still isn't fixed so I picked this up. I''m pretty pleased with Vista so far, it looks ace and runs smooth.

This laptop should help me finish my thesis and it even runs WoW (somewhat) and War3! Hope I can get into Mythos beta, that game seems ideal for this baby.

T2370 1.73 Dual Core
2GB RAM
X3100 shitfest :D
250GB

Epix

Where do I get the SLI connector for connecting two nVidia GPUs? It doesn't look like it's listed on the package contents of the Video Card I just ordered.

Proc

question: Is it worth upgrading to vista? I just landed myself an 8800gts and am curious if I should get it for dx10 support. Also, can anyone vouch for the 64 bit version? I'd like to take advantage of the extra ram I have if possible.

specs:
8800gts
q6600
4gigs of ram

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Two different drivers were released. Everything was fine with 175.12 until today. I come to the conclusion that 174.44 are still the best for me.

zoku88

oo Kosma oo said:
Yaaay I just got a new laptop , it's a simple one but my first and I love it. The store I bought my dead PS3 offered me 500 euro in store credit cause that pile of junk still isn't fixed so I picked this up. I''m pretty pleased with Vista so far, it looks ace and runs smooth.

This laptop should help me finish my thesis and it even runs WoW (somewhat) and War3! Hope I can get into Mythos beta, that game seems ideal for this baby.

T2370 1.73 Dual Core
2GB RAM
250GB
A laptops pretty much the same as other computer components, in which you can basically flip the euro sign for a dollar sign to figure how much it would cost in the US? I'm guessing it is judging by the specs.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I know this is mainly upgrading PC (which I'm doing) however, I have a quick laptop question. I'm looking for a decent, cheap (by cheap I mean like, $300-500) laptop that would mainly be used for work purposes. Some minor image work, writing, web work, etc. Nothing fancy. Any tips for where to look?

Cheeto

Kintaro said:
I know this is mainly upgrading PC (which I'm doing) however, I have a quick laptop question. I'm looking for a decent, cheap (by cheap I mean like, $300-500) laptop that would mainly be used for work purposes. Some minor image work, writing, web work, etc. Nothing fancy. Any tips for where to look?
Ebay, you can get pretty good refurbs for awesome prices.

zoku88

Cheeto said:
Ebay, you can get pretty good refurbs for awesome prices.
But he might not get any warranty with those (warranty is useable non-transferable.)

Cheap laptops are prone to suckage, so getting a warranty might be worth it ^^ (maybe, you'll get a new computer.)

SRG01

oo Kosma oo said:

T2370 1.73 Dual Core
2GB RAM
250GB

I think there's a comparable Dell/Acer deal for a notebook of those specs for the same USD/CAD price. Still, a good find if you're just writing and doing some old-school gaming.

I have a HP notebook with the T7500 and 8400GS. :D It would be better if nVidia's drivers actually worked with it... :(

Cheeto

If you're worried about warranty (I don't) then just go to newegg and sort by price, and get the cheapest one that isn't an Asus EEE. The way I see it though, if you spend $250 or less on a 2nd hand laptop on Ebay and get a couple months of use out of it before you need to open it up and repair...then it's well worth it, especially if you don't need horsepower.

zoku88

Cheeto said:
If you're worried about warranty (I don't) then just go to newegg and sort by price, and get the cheapest one that isn't an Asus EEE. The way I see it though, if you spend $250 or less on a 2nd hand laptop on Ebay and get a couple months of use out of it before you need to open it up and repair...then it's well worth it, especially if you don't need horsepower.
That's true. At that price, the warranty is more than the price of the notebook :lol

will the CPU bottleneck for my AMD X2 dual core 3800+ be big with an 8800GT or will it be a fine match .

oh and does 4 gig ram make a difference in todays games over a 2 gig setup with this comp?

momolicious said:
will the CPU bottleneck for my AMD X2 dual core 3800+ be big with an 8800GT or will it be a fine match .

oh and does 4 gig ram make a difference in todays games over a 2 gig setup with this comp?

Depending on the game, it could be, yes. I'd suggest overclocking that chip to remove the bottleneck, the X2 3800's are known to clock well.

Mr. Hyde

Does anyone have an ETA on the new official nvidia driver's for the 8800 series? It's either this weekend or sometime next week, but I am not 100% sure.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Some advice needed:

I have a Dell Dimension 9150. It has a Intel Pentium D (2.8 GHz) dual core processor. I just went out and bought a 8800GTS (320MB) yesterday and it's a massive improvement from the 6800GS I had in there before it. I also have 1.5GB of RAM (from Dell).

Question:

With this existing setup, what are my CPU upgrade options? Is my current CPU a bottleneck?

I don't really want to have to get a new motherboard, heatsink, case ATM.

Double D

Hey guys, I've been wanting to build a new PC for the last couple of months, but haven't wanted to spend the money to do it. Also, I've never built my own PC before, always just bought something from Best Buy, etc.

Anways, can you guys tell me if this is a good starting point? Like I said, I'm pretty out of the loop as far as this goes, and I just want something that will make my games look nice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bee

DaCocoBrova said:
Some advice needed:

I have a Dell Dimension 9150. It has a Intel Pentium D (2.8 GHz) dual core processor. I just went out and bought a 8800GTS (320MB) yesterday and it's a massive improvement from the 6800GS I had in there before it. I also have 1.5GB of RAM (from Dell).

Question:

With this existing setup, what are my CPU upgrade options? Is my current CPU a bottleneck?

the pentium D will be quite a large bottleneck yeah, luckily they use socket 775 like core2duos though, what motherboard is it make and model? you may just be able to flash a new bios on it and slot the chip right in or even better just slot the chip in on existing bios, it could however not take them at all

Cheeto

DaCocoBrova said:
Some advice needed:

Question:

That's a socket 775 motherboard, but there's no guarantee that Core2's or even P4's w/ HT will work until you call Dell and confirm with them. Unfortunately, they don't make that information available on the web, or at least I've never been able to find it in my previous attempts. I guess they'd rather people buy new systems rather then upgrade their old ones.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Cheeto said:
That's a socket 775 motherboard, but there's no guarantee that Core2's or even P4's w/ HT will work until you call Dell and confirm with them. Unfortunately, they don't make that information available on the web, or at least I've never been able to find it in my previous attempts. I guess they'd rather people buy new systems rather then upgrade their old ones.

This thread delivers. Thanks for that. I'll give it a shot.

Epix

Epix said:
Where do I get the SLI connector for connecting two nVidia GPUs? It doesn't look like it's listed on the package contents of the Video Card I just ordered.
Bumped for emphasis.

SRG01

Does anyone know if Dell BIOSes are locked in any way? I may be pulling the trigger on the Dell E8300 + 8800GT deal, but I'm kind of wary if the hardware turns out to be locked!

Cheeto

SRG01 said:
Does anyone know if Dell BIOSes are locked in any way? I may be pulling the trigger on the Dell E8300 + 8800GT deal, but I'm kind of wary if the hardware turns out to be locked!
What model Dell? I think business workstations like the Optiplexs and GX series have a special BIOS reset. I haven't ever heard of Dell actually "locking" the bios though.

Age of Conan and Dragon Age are the reasons I need to get a better home PC.

I'm tired of building machines, however. You guys know of a site that sells machines (minus monitor, keyboard, etc.) for about the same price I'd get from buying the parts altogether.

SRG01

Cheeto said:
What model Dell? I think business workstations like the Optiplexs and GX series have a special BIOS reset. I haven't ever heard of Dell actually "locking" the bios though.

Some Dells lock the multiplier and voltage levels so you can't overclock it. :(

Vostro 400. So small business line.

Kosma

Banned
zoku88 said:
A laptops pretty much the same as other computer components, in which you can basically flip the euro sign for a dollar sign to figure how much it would cost in the US? I'm guessing it is judging by the specs.

Yeah basicly the same, as most elctronics it seems.

SRG01 said:
I think there's a comparable Dell/Acer deal for a notebook of those specs for the same USD/CAD price. Still, a good find if you're just writing and doing some old-school gaming.

I have a HP notebook with the T7500 and 8400GS. :D It would be better if nVidia's drivers actually worked with it... :(

I've heard so many bad things about that card, especially the drivers and compatibilty issues. A pity because it should be a good low end card.

SRG01

oo Kosma oo said:
I've heard so many bad things about that card, especially the drivers and compatibilty issues. A pity because it should be a good low end card.

It runs nearly everything smoothly at 1280x800 with low-medium settings. I can push it a bit higher, but I prefer FPS over visual effects.

Most of the performance problems I have with games is driver related. I can run Civ4 with max textures and AA at 1280x800 resolution, but the textures and tiles keep messing up on me. Tabula Rasa has major glitching too. The 169 drivers solves most of these problems, though.

PS. I think the reason why there's so many problems with the card is because it actually runs off the 8600GS driver, if you look at the INF. :(

Epix

Manp said:
usually they come with the motherboard if it's SLI ready. you can get them as spare parts but it can be hard to find them this way.

:)
It doesn't look like mine does come with the connector. Where could I get one? eBay?

avaya

Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9650 3.00GHz Quad Core CPU @ 3.66GHz+
EVGA nForce 790 Ultra SLi (Socket LGA775) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
4GB PC3-12800 CAS7 (2x2GB) Dual Channel Kit (Overclocked at 1600MHz+)
2x Asus NVIDIA 9800 GTX 512MB
2x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 32MB Cache SATA-2 Hard Drive (Configured in RAID 0)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty 7.1 Champion Series Sound Card - Retail
Enermax Galaxy 1000W Next Generation Power Supply

Crysis at 1920x1200 on this, what framerate on max settings?

Epix

Okay, bought a X38 motherboard and just found out that X38 doesn't support nVidia SLI. Should I sell the motherboard in favor of an SLI supported one, or is SLI overrated and with a strong GPU (I bought the 8800GTS 512 OC) I'd be better served by keeping the new X38 chipset?

zoku88

Epix said:
Okay, bought a X38 motherboard and just found out that X38 doesn't support nVidia SLI. Should I sell the motherboard in favor of an SLI supported one, or is SLI overrated and with a strong GPU (I bought the 8800GTS 512 OC) I'd be better served by keeping the new X38 chipset?
Don't get SLI. But I don't think you really need an X38, either...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, I am looking into getting a new PC in the next week or so, since my Parents basically just handed me $500 and said "Here your birthday gift, buy your self a new computer"

Well, I want to know, do you guys think I should get a new PC or try and build on my self? I don't think I can/should reuse any of the Parts from my current PC, since the thing was bought back in 1999, has 40GB of Hard drive, 512 MB of Ram, a Pentium III, and has an on board graphics chip. Not only that, my monitor is starting to go (I have to whack the thing to get it to stop making everything blue tinted), and I am running Windows 2000 ^_^; . But my trackball mouse and Dell Keyboard are still good :D

So, while I would like to buy a premade with just the PC and flat screen monitor, I am open to suggestions on how to make a decent PC with $500.

Top Bottom