• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

Spy

Kintaro said:
Hey guys. I've been wanting a laptop for my birthday. Was curious what you guys thought of this Acer.

Acer AS6920-6973

It's $699 from Staples. With tax free weekend in my state this weekend, it's a good time to pick up something like this. I went to check it out in person and it looks like a pretty good laptop. It's $100 more than the laptop I was looking at before, but with 2 more inches on screen size, better specs and more storage.

Any thoughts?

I'd personally recommend this laptop. Bigger hard drive, GeForce Graphics Card, HDMI, etc. HP Laptop

RoH

Well I finally received all my parts, and my system is built! I have not had a new PC in almost 6 - 7 years and I have to say it was not very hard to do (about 2 hours to install hardware), the thing came online the first time I tried to boot it! and I found a copy of Vista 64 gotta love free stuff :D

Since I will be getting a laptop for school, I was wondering what the general consensus of the Dell XPS M1530 is. I was thinking about getting a macbook (not pro) for portability, but seeing as I may want to play games from time to time it may be safer to stick to a pc. How is the M1530 in terms of weight and size / battery life. Would anyone recommend it?

Cheeto

Anyone install a Zalman VF900 on their 4850? I just got mine, and the fan plugs don't match. Left my multi-meter at work...does anyone know which wires match?

zoku88

Kintaro said:
Hey guys. I've been wanting a laptop for my birthday. Was curious what you guys thought of this Acer.
Personally, I would never buy an Acer laptop.

Although, take my opinion as a grain of salt, since I wouldn't buy from most OEMs...

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
zoku88 said:
Personally, I would never buy an Acer laptop.

Although, take my opinion as a grain of salt, since I wouldn't buy from most OEMs...

Ok, who would you buy from?

zoku88

Kintaro said:
Ok, who would you buy from?
Depends on what I wanted.

ultraportable: Lenovo (or ASUS if I wanted to spend a lot of money on the U2E)

13": m1330 or macbook. I favor the m1330 since its design by ASUS and because the macbook is kinda heavy...

14-15"

consumer-grade non-gaming laptop: ASUS

business-grade: ASUS

gaming: Sager

But as I said, I'm biased. I have problems with most of the major OEMs. For example: I don't think Lenovo laptops, at least the T61, doesn't have very good cooling. I've seen people get BSODs due to heat (observed because of folding at home.)

SRG01

zoku88 said:
Depends on what I wanted.

ultraportable: Lenovo (or ASUS if I wanted to spend a lot of money on the U2E)

13": m1330 or macbook. I favor the m1330 since its design by ASUS and because the macbook is kinda heavy...

14-15"

consumer-grade non-gaming laptop: ASUS

business-grade: ASUS

gaming: Sager

But as I said, I'm biased. I have problems with most of the major OEMs.

I used to like ASUS but everyone harps about their poor battery-life. Is it true?

zoku88

SRG01 said:
I used to like ASUS but everyone harps about their poor battery-life. Is it true?
Depends what you determine to be poor

Yea, it's pretty much true.

Mine only gets about 2 hrs 40 minutes. I have a modular bay battery, though.

I like them because they feel more solidly built than a lot of other laptops and ASUS is very generous about warranties.

thrasher

Banned
Against all my friends advice (Intel Core 2 Duo fans)I upgarded my PC to

Athlon X2 5600+
XFX Alpha Dog 8800GT
2GM RAM
MSI K9N V3 mobo

I can play Crysis on everything high at 1024x1028 except motion blur on medium.

GPU benchmark gives 39fps
CPU bencchmark gives 37fps

Are there currently video cards out there that can pass 5.1 audio and video through HDMI? I am looking to start building a gaming PC but I want to integrate it into my Home Theater so I will have the best of both worlds (5.1 surround, HDTV, comfy couch + 360 controller etc). Currently everything runs through my AVR and I wanted to setup the PC the same way if possible.

Okay, after 8 years of slumming it with my 8 year old desktop and Geforce4mx video card and 512 of RAM, I'm on the verge of upgrading my shit. I have a few questions:

1) I've got my eyes on the inno3d Geforce 9600GT, but I really want the 8800GT. I'm worried that the latter will give me some overheating issues because I live in a very hot country and I don't really turn off my computer. I mean, it's always on - even when I'm asleep. Will these cards have any issues with being on 24/7?

2) Quad core Q6600 is the processor I'm looking at, but is it really OK to go with this over a 2.4/2.6 Dual Core?

3) Motherboards. I know jackshit about these fuckers, so I'm just gonna ask the shop I'm buying my parts from what's good for the parts I'm gonna buy.

4) 2 pieces of GB KINGSTON RAM. Not bad, right?

5) Stick with XP or upgrade to Vista?

The benchmark I'm aiming for is Crysis. I want the PC I'm going assemble to be able to run that fucker decently at least.

RoH

Pop On Arrival said:
Okay, after 8 years of slumming it with my 8 year old desktop and Geforce4mx video card and 512 of RAM, I'm on the verge of upgrading my shit. I have a few questions:

1) I've got my eyes on the inno3d Geforce 9600GT, but I really want the 8800GT. I'm worried that the latter will give me some overheating issues because I live in a very hot country and I don't really turn off my computer. I mean, it's always on - even when I'm asleep. Will these cards have any issues with being on 24/7?

2) Quad core Q6600 is the processor I'm looking at, but is it really OK to go with this over a 2.4/2.6 Dual Core?

3) Motherboards. I know jackshit about these fuckers, so I'm just gonna ask the shop I'm buying my parts from what's good for the parts I'm gonna buy.

4) 2 pieces of GB KINGSTON RAM. Not bad, right?

5) Stick with XP or upgrade to Vista?

The benchmark I'm aiming for is Crysis. I want the PC I'm going assemble to be able to run that fucker decently at least.

So far I am liking Vista, its stable and it seems to have more power user apps out of box (is this just Vista ultimate?), I thought I would have a ton a app problems using the 64bit version, but Vista seems to handle this very well. I am kind of let down by STEAM though >=(

RoH said:
So far I am liking Vista, its stable and it seems to have more power user apps out of box (is this just Vista ultimate?), I thought I would have a ton a app problems using the 64bit version, but Vista seems to handle this very well. I am kind of let down by STEAM though >=(

I've actually just decided to stick to XP for now. Vista is too expensive, and I don't really feel like getting acquainted to an entirely knew OS considering how ignorant I am right now.

RoH

Pop On Arrival said:
I've actually just decided to stick to XP for now. Vista is too expensive, and I don't really feel like getting acquainted to an entirely knew OS considering how ignorant I am right now.

Yeah it can take some getting used to, but the run commands work the same so I can find every thing I need. Maybe some one can help me with this... when I installed the software for my MoBo (CD) Vista would not prompt me with a UAC, but after updating the software I now get a UAC prompt for the six engine software, is there a way to stop the UAC prompt with out disabling the UAC?

dude

dude
dude said:
Here are the specs for the PC I want to buy later this week, what do you guys think?

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 2.4GHZ BOX
ZALMAN CNPS9700 NT
GIGABYTE EP45-DS3R Intel P45
G.SKILL DDR2 4096MB (2GBx2) DUAL CHANNEL 800MHZ CL4
WD 500GB 7200RPM 16MB SATA2
LG GH20N S10 DVDRWX20 SATA BLACK BULK
GIGABYTE RADEON HD4870 512MB DDR5 PCI-E
CoolerMaster CM690 MidTower Case No Psu
OCZ GameXStream 600W SLI-Ready PSU Retail
MICROSOFT WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM 32BIT ENGLISH OEM

So, just before I hit the buy buttons and everything, I wondered if anyone could advise me on OCing, I was never really into it since I was too much of a pussy, but now I want to beef up this CPU a bit, how much would you suggest for this PC? Is the heatsink good enough? Should I go with a better PSU? I read some guides in Tom's Hardware and the like, but I'd still like some specific advise.
Also, I live in a pretty hot country (30C+ in the summer), if that matters in any way...
Thanks in advance!

Cheeto

dude said:
So, just before I hit the buy buttons and everything, I wondered if anyone could advise me on OCing, I was never really into it since I was too much of a pussy, but now I want to beef up this CPU a bit, how much would you suggest for this PC? Is the heatsink good enough? Should I go with a better PSU? I read some guides in Tom's Hardware and the like, but I'd still like some specific advise.
Also, I live in a pretty hot country (30C+ in the summer), if that matters in any way...
Thanks in advance!
Check your current CPU temps before overclocking. Google CPU-Z and download that.

Epix

dude said:
Thanks in advance!
You should be able to easily, and safely, push that Proc to 3.0GHz with that setup.

No6

dude said:
Thanks in advance!
You need Vista64 if you want that much memory and you should get a 640gb WD drive instead of the 500gb one. You could also probably get away with a weaker PSU but I dunno about the OCing. Is there any reason why you want a quadcore instead of an e8400?

dude

dude
No6 said:
You need Vista64 if you want that much memory and you should get a 640gb WD drive instead of the 500gb one. You could also probably get away with a weaker PSU but I dunno about the OCing. Is there any reason why you want a quadcore instead of an e8400?
It's a 64, I put the 32 there by mistake :S
And I don't really need 640GB right now, I'm a little over my budget as it is.
I just though I could go with the quad and OC it to about 3.0 instead of going with a dual.

Cheeto said:
Check your current CPU temps before overclocking. Google CPU-Z and download that.
I downloaded, but I can't seem to find the CPU temperature

Epix said:
You should be able to easily, and safely, push that Proc to 3.0GHz with that setup.
What I was going for, awesome, thanks.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Asus P5Q PRO, Intel P45 Socket 775, ATX
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 2400 MHz
KINGSTON 3GB DDR3 800 MHz
Geforce 9800 GTX (512MB)
Windows XP

Worth 1400 USD? I want to play the following on high settings: WoW, Valve games using the Source engine and maybe Crysis (?). Possible? Worth it?

I'm really, really bad at computer specs, sorry.

bee

Seiken said:
Geforce 9800 GTX (512MB)
Windows XP

Worth 1400 USD? I want to play the following on high settings: WoW, Valve games using the Source engine and maybe Crysis (?). Possible? Worth it?

in a word...no

imo its totally worth waiting for the new cpu/socket in october, get a socket 1366 nehalem, some ddr3 and a decent graphics card and then your able to to upgrade for a few years rather than now where practically no one can run ddr3 and certainly no one at all can run the new cpu's

that's what im waiting for anyway my core2duo is over 2 years old now

if you really want one now, build it yourself i really cant stress how easy it is, q6600,4gb ,4850 and all the rest will cost you way less than that and all brand new/warrantied

No6

Seiken said:
Geforce 9800 GTX (512MB)
Windows XP

That's a terrible price.
The MB supports crossfire, which you don't need. It also uses DDR2 (don't see DDR3 listed) so your (confusing amount of) ram seems to be the wrong type. Do you need to get a quad-core? Why XP?

And I'm not sure how the GTX stacks up but you should compare it to a HD4850.

aznpxdd

Seiken said:
Geforce 9800 GTX (512MB)
Windows XP

Terrible, terrible price.

Get a cheaper mobo (with features you'll actually use), ddr2ram, hd4850 and Vista instead.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, I'm a bit new to this whole PC building game. The most experience I have with PC hardware is installing a new GPU/RAM into my PC/Laptop, although my brother has built a few PC's in the past so he should be able to lend me a helping hand.

Here's the basic rig I'm thinking of. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz
ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
ASUS EAH4870/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5
Rosewill Conqueror WBK Triple 120mm Fans Steel ATX Mid tower Computer Case
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI 600W ATX12V Power Supply
Acer X203Wbd Black 20" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor
Total: $1,128.93

BTW, I'm looking to upgrade to Crossfire 4870's by years end.

derder

ahoyhoy said:
Alright, I'm a bit new to this whole PC building game. The most experience I have with PC hardware is installing a new GPU/RAM into my PC/Laptop, although my brother has built a few PC's in the past so he should be able to lend me a helping hand.

Here's the basic rig I'm thinking of. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz
ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
ASUS EAH4870/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5
Rosewill Conqueror WBK Triple 120mm Fans Steel ATX Mid tower Computer Case
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI 600W ATX12V Power Supply
Acer X203Wbd Black 20" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor
Total: $1,128.93

BTW, I'm looking to upgrade to Crossfire 4870's by years end.

Thats a very nice rig. You seem to have all the right ideas, I'd just recommend getting a different case.

The Antec 900 case is on sale for the same price, until 8/4.

This one is the one I'm using and I'm in love.

I don't know anything about the quality of your PSU personally, but the newegg reviews are fine.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
What's the gaf recommendation for a non SLI/Crossfire Intel mobo? It's been a while since i have built a nice PC and I am out of the loop on who is building good stuff lately. Im looking for a decent price and I guess a non DDR3 compatible board is ok since it seems so pricey.

Or should I look for a DDR3 combo board? Im just looking to put together a system with a 4850 and probably an e8400. Nothing too fancy.

Wallach

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, I'm sold on the Antec 300, although I've been reading some comments on various sites claiming you need more fans than are supplied to run this thing on a heavier load. How many more fans should I get/where should I put them?

Also, do you think this PSU will support Crossfire'd 4870's? What kind of wattage/amps do I need?

MWS Natural said:
Are there currently video cards out there that can pass 5.1 audio and video through HDMI? I am looking to start building a gaming PC but I want to integrate it into my Home Theater so I will have the best of both worlds (5.1 surround, HDTV, comfy couch + 360 controller etc). Currently everything runs through my AVR and I wanted to setup the PC the same way if possible.

Anyone?

Im thinking about getting a Dell XPS M1330 laptop for school. Although I dont play too many games, could this system run games like tf2 or cod4?

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8100 (2.1GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache), English edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® Vista Home Premium Edition SP1 edit
SYSTEM COLOUR Tuxedo Black edit
LCD AND CAMERA Slim and Light LED Display with VGA Webcam edit
MEMORY 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz edit
HARD DRIVE 250G 5400RPM SATA HDD edit
GRAPHICS CARD 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 8400M GS edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability edit
WIRELESS CARD Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N Mini-card edit
BATTERY OPTIONS 9 Cell Battery edit
SOUND OPTIONS Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition

RoH

No6 said:
That's a terrible price.
The MB supports crossfire, which you don't need. It also uses DDR2 (don't see DDR3 listed) so your (confusing amount of) ram seems to be the wrong type. Do you need to get a quad-core? Why XP?

And I'm not sure how the GTX stacks up but you should compare it to a HD4850.

Why would he not need cross fire?

JSnake

Getting a new rig built completely from scratch for my birthday. Here it is. Also I've already bought it, so yeah. Just getting GAF's opinion.

Case: LINKWORLD, LC323-03 Black/Silver Mid-Tower Case ATX

PSU: CORSAIR, CMPSU-450VX VX Series Power Supply, 450W

Motherboard: GIGABYTE, GA-73VM-S2, LGA775, nForce 610i

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

RAM: CRUCIAL, 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-5300 DDR2 667MHz CL5 SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC

Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon HD 4850

Hard Drive: WESTERN DIGITAL, 320GB WD Caviar® SE (WD3200AAJS), SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 8MB cache

Windows Vista Home Premium x86

zaidr

whats the verdict on the 9600 GSO? I'm getting a really good price in comparison to the 8800GT. $116 for the 9600 GSO...but i've never heard of the GSO line before...anything i should be wary of?

Artofwar420

Pentium D or something? I would say yes, the 8800GT is easily capable of playing COD4 on max @ 60fps. 30fps seems low. What is the current CPU?

You mean the brand? Intel Core 2

You have a Core 2 Duo? How much memory for the system in general?

RAM? I have 2.98GB. And from what you guys said, it seems like an upgraded processor will do the trick.

JSnake

JSnake said:
Getting a new rig built completely from scratch for my birthday. Here it is. Also I've already bought it, so yeah. Just getting GAF's opinion.

Case: LINKWORLD, LC323-03 Black/Silver Mid-Tower Case ATX

PSU: CORSAIR, CMPSU-450VX VX Series Power Supply, 450W

Motherboard: GIGABYTE, GA-73VM-S2, LGA775, nForce 610i

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

RAM: CRUCIAL, 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-5300 DDR2 667MHz CL5 SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC

Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon HD 4850

Hard Drive: WESTERN DIGITAL, 320GB WD Caviar® SE (WD3200AAJS), SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 8MB cache

Windows Vista Home Premium x86

So uh, thoughts?

Top Bottom