• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

Zzoram

The P35 chipset is still incredible value for gamers. The P45 offers some improvements, but nothing you can't live without at this point. The G33 and G43 are not for gamers, they have integrated graphics. The X38 and X48 are designed for rich gamers and extreme overclocking.

No matter what you build today, your next PC will likely be using the next generation Intel socket and chipset, so don't worry about future compatibility at the moment. We're about to go through a pretty significant change, a socket change and new RAM type (DDR3) doesn't happen every year.

Zzoram

Also, for motherboards, Asus is generally the best for BIOS options for overclockers and features. Gigabyte is also good for gamers and overclocking with a slightly less user friendly BIOS and apps but is a bit cheaper for those with a budget.

Blackface

Banned
Branskins said:
I know this one does: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138122

But I cannot find any explicit info on http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128082

EDIT:
To be honest, I might not even need to buy a new case. With some new fans and that crazy CPU cooler, would that be enough cooling? My current case has one fan on the side and one in the back and I believe another one inside somewhere.

You need more then the CPU HSF if you are going to overclock alot, especially with a Core 2 Quad. You also need high CFM fans.

I have 6 120MM 89CFM fans, After market HSF, and heatsinks over all the chips on my motherboard, and a small 45mm fan + heatsink on my northbridge.

If you aren't going to overclock Alot, I would suggest at least a case with 4 120MM fans.

Blackface

Banned
Epix said:
What's the word on the X38 chipset?

The P43, P45, P35, X38, X48, 680I, 750i and 790I are all good.

The 680I, 750I, and 790I are all Nforce(Nvidia) chipsets. So make sure you read up on the board you buy before getting one with those chips. Some boards with them can be very complicated for beginners, and give people headaches, however, if you get a good board with an Nvidia chipset like an EVGA 750I FTW, it could be the best PC building experience you have ever had.

The cheaper ones would be P43, P35, X38, 680I.

Unless you are really into overclocking, it is not worth it to buy P45, or X48 chipsets.

Awesome to see people enjoying their new rigs.

The enermax modu 82+ PSU I've got runs smooth too, but was more expensive than the corsairs (was getting a the HX 620 but sold out)

Branskins

Trax416 said:
If you don't care about a side window, you may want to check out this case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119142

It has tons of space, and can hold 8 120MM fans. Has Audio/USB/ESATA ports at the top also. It also uses a toolless design.

one of the best cases for under $150.

I was just reading this on the requirements for the GX2: Minimum 580W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 40A)

The PSU in that case is 550 =/

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
ahoyhoy said:
So I finally built this computer last week, with an E8500 Wolfdale and a cheaper PSU with a bit more wattage (650W). So far she is running fantastically. On stock settings, I got 13145 on 3dMark06, and I'm hoping to break 15000 after OC'ing and fooling around (maybe buying another fan). The 4870 is DESTROYING games, as I'm getting around 90-100 FPS on 32 person TF2 servers with everything maxed and AA x4 @ 1680x1050. Crysis (at least the demo) stayed around 50-60 FPS at similar settings (except for the AA) with it never dipping below 30 FPS. As soon as my budget replenishes, I'm going to be buying some more graphically intensive games to finally enjoy.

I have a very similar set up. same gpu 2.3 ghz cpu, faster ram but same amount and crysis is choppy at that resolution. what's the magic souce?

Xyphie

ToddG15 said:
Any cpu fan recommendations on the E8400?

Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme. It's expensive, but it's godly. If you want something less expensive Zalman 7xxx-9xxx series is pretty good.

Blackface

Banned
otake said:
I have a very similar set up. same gpu 2.3 ghz cpu, faster ram but same amount and crysis is choppy at that resolution. what's the magic souce?

Sounds like your CPU is being a slight bottleneck to your GPU.

Blackface

Banned
Xyphie said:
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme. It's expensive, but it's godly. If you want something less expensive Zalman 7xxx-9xxx series is pretty good.

Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme (TRUE), Noctua NH-U12P, Xigmatek HDT-S1283 Direct Touch 3 Heatpipe Heatsink.

Are all good. the Xigmatek is the cheapest, and one of the best there is at any price. It's only $35.

Branskins

Trax can you address my previous post about the power supply? Thanks :)

EDIT: Someone tell me something: if I plan on using this computer over the next four years, should I keep the GX2 or should I downgrade to something else?

I'm switching my build from:
Q6600 2.4
ATI 4870
4gb DDR2 1066

to one with:
E8500 3.16
Nvidia 9800 gx2
4gb DDR2 1066

Can someone point me to a good board to go with this so i can overclock the c2d. I already have the zalman 9700, although if i had been paying attention i probably would have gotten one of these other cooling options you guys are talking about.
It seems like every review i read about 780i boards say that they're not good overclockers, and the 790i boards are a bit too expensive and require (?) DDR3. A quick reply would be much appreciated as I'm about to order the parts. =)

edit: Using a Antec 1200 case with corsair 750w psu. Will be looking toward sli in the future.

Trax416 said:
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme (TRUE), Noctua NH-U12P, Xigmatek HDT-S1283 Direct Touch 3 Heatpipe Heatsink.

Are all good. the Xigmatek is the cheapest, and one of the best there is at any price. It's only $35.

The artic cooler freezer 7 pro works is also another good choice and isn't hard to attach. But the Xigmatek is the best bang for your buck

Chiggs

Gold Member
Branskins said:
Trax can you address my previous post about the power supply? Thanks :)

EDIT: Someone tell me something: if I plan on using this computer over the next four years, should I keep the GX2 or should I downgrade to something else?

I would keep the GX2, because it's an excellent value. As far as the PSU goes, just get another one that's more powerful if you're dead set on that case that Trax recommended.

Branskins

Okay I will have to shop around for a PSU then.

Also, I want to know since someone brought this up, how badly would the q6600 bottlekneck the GX2?

EDIT:

Would the 550 run the card even though it recommends a 580?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Branskins said:
Okay I will have to shop around for a PSU then.

Also, I want to know since someone brought this up, how badly would the q6600 bottlekneck the GX2?

Not enough for it to make it a pointless purchase, that's for sure. In some situations, it's possible it might be limited, but for the majority...I don't think so. Besides, the Q6600 can overclock like a mofo.

EDIT:

Would the 550 run the card even though it recommends a 580?

Certainly possible it would, but I don't think it's a very good idea in the long term.

Branskins

Eek! Now I am going over the 900 dollar mark, which I did not plan on doing! I might be able to keep my old case and buy a new PSU instead of getting a case too.

Branskins

What about these PSUs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341001

Actually I have all of this in my wishlist for 793 bucks (after 50 dollars in rebates)

OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI 600W ATX12V Power Supply - Retail

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

PNY XLR8 VCG98GX2XPB GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB (512MB per GPU) 512-bit (256-bit per GPU) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail

OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2G8004GK - Retail

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

COOLER MASTER R4-L2S-122B-GP 120mm 4 BLUE LED LED Case Fan - Retail (comes with 2)

1 MASSCOOL FD08025S1M4 80mm Case Fan - Retail

XIGMATEK HDT-SD964 92mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail

EDIT2: I knew this was too good to be true. The motherboard is missing!

JdFoX187

Banned
Guys, I need some help. I got all the components of my new comp today and put it all together. I've double and triple checked everything. But, the computer's plugged in, the power supply is turned on and there's nothing happening. No fans blowing, no startup, nothing. There was a blue LED light come on for a couple seconds on the motherboard and then it turned off and hasn't come on since. Any ideas?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Branskins said:
What about these PSUs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341001

Actually I have all of this in my wishlist for 793 bucks (after 50 dollars in rebates)

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

PNY XLR8 VCG98GX2XPB GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB (512MB per GPU) 512-bit (256-bit per GPU) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail

OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2G8004GK - Retail

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

COOLER MASTER R4-L2S-122B-GP 120mm 4 BLUE LED LED Case Fan - Retail (comes with 2)

EDIT2: I knew this was too good to be true. The motherboard is missing!

Looks good, and either one of those PSU's should be fine (though you might need an 8 pin adapter). Even when you add the mobo, you're still not that far over the limit.

Cheeto said:
Ugh...I think most "PC Enthusiasts" look beyond simple watt ratings.

8800GTS 92 - (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 26 Amp Amps.)

You're cutting it very close with that power supply.
What? That PSU pumps out 34A on the 12V rails and apparently it is a single rail anyway which is even better.
Even with that said, nVidia are taking the piss saying it requires 26A if they have said the power consumption is 140W or so. 26A on a 12V rail would equate to over 300W.
Maybe they are saying 26A because a typical system utilising such a card with draw a total of 26A over the 12V rails which is far more likely. Looking at the wording that seems to be what they are saying.

Hazaro said:
Except I know I wouldn't want my PSU being loaded near 100% when I used it. Therefore I have a nice little 520W

Here's a nice little thread about an Antec EA 380W set-up (Quad + GTX) Overclocked.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=511180
That is a good articel, thanks.
If you have read it though i don't understand your first statement. With a Quad core and GTX it is maxing out at around 80% of load so that is plenty of overhead. The rig listed earlier would consume even less power (quite a lot less).

zoku88

Branskins said:
Eek! Now I am going over the 900 dollar mark, which I did not plan on doing! I might be able to keep my old case and buy a new PSU instead of getting a case too.
wait, your limit was 900 and you were thinking about getting a $250 motherboard? o_O

Branskins

I never really had a limit, but I had the system at a good ~800 dollar price. And then the whole case/PSU thing happened, which brought it up a good 100 bucks.

Here is the updated rig:

GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard - Retail

Subtotal: $973.90
-50.00 mail in rebates

TOTAL: 920.90

I may end up dropping the case to lower the price. Mine might work, I just need to check out how many fans it can hold.

EDIT:

How would this case be: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119077

JdFoX187 said:
Guys, I need some help. I got all the components of my new comp today and put it all together. I've double and triple checked everything. But, the computer's plugged in, the power supply is turned on and there's nothing happening. No fans blowing, no startup, nothing. There was a blue LED light come on for a couple seconds on the motherboard and then it turned off and hasn't come on since. Any ideas?

My guess its either the PSU or the mobo. The only way to figure it out is to get another PSU to see if that fires it up.

Thinking of getting an Asus Xonar DX sound card as the front audio jacks makes buzzing sounds when I move a window on my desktop, or scroll down a page. I've updated the drivers but no avail.
Anyone got one of those cards?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Branskins said:

A couple of the reviews mentioned that their 9800 GTX blocked one of the drive bays, but beyond that minor nuisance, I don't see what's wrong with it.

Romance Pie said:
My guess its either the PSU or the mobo. The only way to figure it out is to get another PSU to see if that fires it up.

I had a similar problem once, and I needed to reseat my mobo because it wasn't grounded.

Blackface

Banned
JdFoX187 said:

What type of motherboard do you have, how much RAm did you put in the computer, and did you ground yourself before you started touching things.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Branskins said:
I need desperate help. I keep reading about this 6pin-8pin thing for the GX2

Does this PSU have what I need? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341001

Thanks

:lol

You're so dramatic. To answer your question, no, the PSU doesn't have the connector. Good news, it's no big deal:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812887002

You're supposed to be enjoying this part!

Edit:

From one the reviews:

not a con really, but i found out you can just use the 4 pin that you probably have. this is according to the biostar support website.

Can anyone confirm this? Seems logical, no?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Branskins said:
Should I still upgrade to the 700w one?

I personally think you could get away with the 600 watt PSU, buuuut, I don't think Trax's point is without merit. More power is always good.

Plus, it's priced nicely and there's a rebate. You're obviously going over your $900.00, but what good are lines in the sand if you don't redraw them over and over? :lol

otake said:
by .1 ghz? really?

The E8500 is a 3.16 ghz cpu and has a 6Mb of L2 cache.

not too sure whats eating your fps though. When was it the last time you installed windows?
reinstalling it can give you a boost if the last time was over a year ago.

Top Bottom