• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

JSnake

rhfb said:
MSI P7N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
SAPPHIRE 100247L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

Forgot I removed a power supply, so thats why my cost was so low. After the rebates, the above plus other misc items would be 1250 shipped... Thinking it should be a decent build... Can slap in another 4gb of ram down the road if needed, and the same goes for the 4870. Suggestions? Only thing that has kept me from pulling the trigger now is that i7 is JUST around the corner :(

Get a VisionTek 4870. No performance difference or anything, but their CS is much better than Sapphire's.

edit: your mobo is a SLI board. You need a Crossfire board. SLI is NVidia, Crossfire is ATI

Ravager61

rhfb said:
huh? please explain
I am by no means an expert but I think you need a motherboard that is Crossfire enabled in order to run 2 ATI graphics cards. SLI is Nvidia's technology and wont work with ATI cards.

Blackface

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
Bought my computer a few days ago along with Stalker, Crysis, and the Witcher. Plan on getting a few others.

OC INTEL, Core™ 2 Quad Q9550 Quad-Core 2.83GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 12MB (2 x 6MB) L2 Cache, 45nm, 95W, EM64T EIST VT XD, Retail
ZALMAN, CNPS9700 Copper CPU Cooler, Socket LGA775/AMD754/939/940/AM2, Blue LED
ASUS, P5E3 Premium/WiFi-AP @n, LGA775, Intel X48, 1600MHz FSB, DDR3-2000 8GB /4, PCIe x16 CF /3, SATA 3Gb/s RAID 5 /6, HDA, GbLAN /2, FW /2, WiFi, ATX, Retail
CORSAIR, 4GB (2 x 2GB) XMS3 DHX PC3-10666 DDR3 1333MHz CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.7V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC
DIAMOND, Radeon™ HD 4870 X2 750MHz, 2GB (2 x 1GB) GDDR5 1800MHz, PCIe x16 CrossFire, DVI /2, HDTV-Out, Retail
CREATIVE, Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeGamer, 7.1 channels, 24-bit 96KHz, PCI
WESTERN DIGITAL, 300GB WD VelociRaptor™, SATA 3 Gb/s, 10000 RPM, 16MB cache
WESTERN DIGITAL, 640GB WD Caviar® SE16 (WD6400AAKS), SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200-RPM, 16MB cache
LITE-ON, LH-20A1L Black/Beige 20x DVD±RW Dual-Layer Burner w/ LightScribe, SATA, Retail
PLEXTOR, PX-820SA Black 20x/12x DVD±R/RW Super-Multi Burner, SATA, Retail
ANTEC, Twelve Hundred Black Full Tower Case w/ Window, ATX, No PSU
CORSAIR, CMPSU-750TX TX Series Power Supply, 750W, 80 PLUS®, 24-pin ATX12V EPS12V, Multi-GPU Ready
MICROSOFT, Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Edition w/ SP1

and a bunch of other cool parts like fan controllers and such. Gonna be sweet.

Damn nice computer if you are going to overclock. Otherwise, over paid.

Chris R

well I replaced the motherboard with another one that supports crossfire :lol Other than that, any other comments? Going to look for a case locally because no way in hell am I paying over 100$ to ship a case :lol

Open Source said:
Are you going to use Crossfire? If not, the P5Q is probably a better choice, and you can probably go a little cheaper on the power supply as well.

You will probably need extensions for the 2 4-pin CPU power plugs, since the power supply is on the bottom.

Does the P5Q-E not support crossfire? It says it does on newegg and I was about to pull the trigger on monday.

If anyone can help, I'm looking for an intel motherboard that will support crossfire (future purchase), up to 16 gb ram and can overclock. Also one that is around $175-200.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
~Kinggi~ said:
Bought my computer a few days ago along with Stalker, Crysis, and the Witcher. Plan on getting a few others.

ZALMAN, CNPS9700 Copper CPU Cooler, Socket LGA775/AMD754/939/940/AM2, Blue LED

Should of bought a TRUE, but otherwise you are good. Screwing and mounting the 9xxx HS's sucks.

p.s. Don't cut yourself when mounting it :lol

DSCF0398CustomMedium.jpg

(Those are cuts, not indents)

Blackface

Banned
rhfb said:
well I replaced the motherboard with another one that supports crossfire :lol Other than that, any other comments? Going to look for a case locally because no way in hell am I paying over 100$ to ship a case :lol

A lot of the parts you have are meant for overclocking, like the ram. Be honest with yourself, if you plan to OC. If not, you can swap out a few of the parts, with others that will work equally as well, but you pay less because they don't have certain overclocking features.

Especially the ram. When you put the ram in your motherboard, it will run default at PC6400 speeds. To achieve the timings that are shown in the heading when you order, you have to manually overclock it. So if you don't plan on overclocking, then why not go for cheaper ram, that will run faster at PC6400 speeds.

Chris R

I'll be overclocking it :lol

Damn I want to order it right now, but I forgot what exactly the only real local shop I have carries...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MaritalWheat said:
I can take my DVD drive from an old machine and put it in a new one, right? Is there something I have to do first?

Nope.

Just make sure you got enough ATA/IDE ports on motherboard (If it's not SATA that is)

Blackface

Banned
rhfb said:
I'll be overclocking it :lol

Damn I want to order it right now, but I forgot what exactly the only real local shop I have carries...

Cool. :lol

You have no idea the amount of people I have seen on forums, purchase all these expensive OC'ing parts, and never over clock.

VaLiancY

Chiggs said:
I have a friend who bought a Tuniq Tower and didn't OC at all. He just wanted to "keep everything cool."

That's what I was planning to do -- Just to be on the safe side, but after all the hot summers I've been through with my current computer maybe stock isn't that bad.

Manp

Hazaro said:
Should of bought a TRUE, but otherwise you are good. Screwing and mounting the 9xxx HS's sucks.

p.s. Don't cut yourself when mounting it :lol

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i204/hazaro22/DSCF0398CustomMedium.jpg[IMG]
(Those are cuts, not indents)[/QUOTE]

wth?! takes like 2 minutes to mount the thing. i can't even imaging something like that to happen...

:)

JudgeN

People out there getting quads for overclocking your really should get a tuniq tower 120 heatsink and fan, zalman are great for dual-core but just good for quads.

Branskins

I am stuck between getting the dual core and the quad core. Both are the same price on newegg (189.99). The dual core is 3.0 and the quad core is 2.4.

People say quad will not help older games but it will help newer games. Should I invest for the future then? I know I can overclock the quad to above 3.

Also, I am really interested in the PNY 9800 GX2 1GB card. Any information on this? I know it is huge!

Thanks

Blackface

Banned
Branskins said:
I am stuck between getting the dual core and the quad core. Both are the same price on newegg (189.99). The dual core is 3.0 and the quad core is 2.4.

People say quad will not help older games but it will help newer games. Should I invest for the future then? I know I can overclock the quad to above 3.

Also, I am really interested in the PNY 9800 GX2 1GB card. Any information on this? I know it is huge!

Thanks

1. It's up to you if they are the same price. I would personally go for the dual core, becuase they clock much higher. You can't really future proof a CPU, especially with new ones coming around the corner. However, both will last you 1+ year.

2. If you use a 1900X1080, 1900X1200 or greater monitor, I would pick up the PNY 9800GX2. Otherwise, I would go for the 4870. I am assuming you are buying the 9800Gx2 for the reduced PNY price of like $270.

Blackface

Banned
JudgeN said:
People out there getting quads for overclocking your really should get a tuniq tower 120 heatsink and fan, zalman are great for dual-core but just good for quads.

Noctua NH-U12P

hsf2_nh-u12p_pr.jpg

Also a good choice. It performs on par with a TRUE, but it comes with one of the best fans money can buy, and has the best mounting system out of any HSF.

To put it in perspective. I use the mini version of this, the NH-U9B. It's much smaller with less copper tubes that are also smaller then the NH-U12P's. However I still have my E8400 Overclocked to 4ghz and it idles only in the high 30's.

I will be picking up the larger version soon (mainly because I am lazy, and don't want to take my motherboard out to install a new mounting system)

Althane

I'm picking up a Toshiba Portable Hard Drive, 250 GB, Model #: TOS HDDR250E03X.

Got it for my parents (backup so they can finally get rid of the craptastic old computer). Any opinions on it before I go get it?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Manp said:
wth?! takes like 2 minutes to mount the thing. i can't even imaging something like that to happen...

I was lapping it barehanded :lol

But I've seen two people post about getting cut while mounting, so it's a real threat.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Chiggs said:
For $300.00 it's an absolute steal.

I agree, the 9800GX2 is an amazing buy at its current price. It plays Crysis really well along with everything else. But the 4870 is priced slightly less and has very similar, if not superior, gaming results.

The 9800GX2 suffers badly from microstuttering and low framerate dips.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
I'm on a P35 chipset and I'm really torn on what graphics card to buy. There's so many options!! This winter I plan to play my PC games on a 1080P TV.

P35 does not support crossfire (well it does, but it sucks), so I can't buy two 4870s.

P35 does not support SLI at all.

The 4870 is a great card but the 4870X2 trumps it at higher resolutions. And I won't be paying $270 for a 4870. But I won't be paying $550 for a 4870X2 either.

The Geforce 260/280 are still possible choices, especially with future Physx games... I'm really pumped for Mirrors Edge and Aliens: Colonel Marines. And I can overclock the hell out of a 260...

So I'm not really too sure. I think my best bet is definitely the 4870X2, maybe I'll just wait for prices to come down.

Branskins

I play at 1680x1050. Also, my family is pretty much nvidia only people, and since they are helping pay for this system, it might be hard to convince them to switch to ATI.

What can the 2.4 quad-core be clocked to you think? I always try to buy my computer to last the next four years. I am really stuck on deciding between the dual core/quad core!

About the gx2 stuttering thing: is that more of a driver issue?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Badabing said:
I agree, the 9800GX2 is an amazing buy at its current price. It plays Crysis really well along with everything else. But the 4870 is priced slightly less and has very similar, if not superior, gaming results.

The 9800GX2 suffers badly from microstuttering and low framerate dips.

I agree the microstuttering can be an issue, but to say that a single 4870 is better than a 9800GX2 is just flatout untrue. Look at the benchmarks:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=16

GX2 is beastly.

Branskins said:
About the gx2 stuttering thing: is that more of a driver issue?

Yes, and it's not that awful. In some games it's worse than others.

Branskins

Wow the gx2 sounds like an awesome deal right now. 270 is not a bad price at all!

Now I just need to find an affordable mobo for it and I need to decide between quad/dual core.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Branskins said:
Wow the gx2 sounds like an awesome deal right now. 270 is not a bad price at all!

I would have picked one up over my GTX 260 had I known they were going to drop in price so drastically.

Manp

Hazaro said:
I was lapping it barehanded :lol

But I've seen two people post about getting cut while mounting, so it's a real threat.

no wait, you need to explain now :lol how can you cut yourself that way while mounting the 9700?
i really don't remember even touching the heatsink while fixing it to the motherboard

i guess if you're going to lap the base you probably have to hold it in a way that can cause those cuts.

Branskins

Where can I find some solid info on the dual core vs quad core debate?

Same price, the dual core is 3.0 and the quad is 2.4. I am having a really tough time deciding!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Manp said:
no wait, you need to explain now :lol how can you cut yourself that way while mounting the 9700?
i really don't remember even touching the heatsink while fixing it to the motherboard

i guess if you're going to lap the base you probably have to hold it in a way that can cause those cuts.

The fins are really really sharp.

What else is there to know :lol

SRG01

Branskins said:
Where can I find some solid info on the dual core vs quad core debate?

Same price, the dual core is 3.0 and the quad is 2.4. I am having a really tough time deciding!

Dual core.

OCing the quad will cost $$$ and the difference in performance is negligible.

Blackface

Banned
Chiggs said:
I agree the microstuttering can be an issue, but to say that a single 4870 is better than a 9800GX2 is just flatout untrue. Look at the benchmarks:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=16

GX2 is beastly.

Yes, and it's not that awful. In some games it's worse than others.

The GX2 will be bottle necked by his CPU at 1680X1050 unless he does some heavy overclocking.

It would not be bottle necked however if he was playing at a larger resolution.

This is why cards like the GX2 and 4870X2, perform best at larget resolutions.

Thats why buying dual GPU cards, or SLI/Cross fire configs, is useless unless you heavily overclock, or run a 1080P+ setup.

Branskins

So what do you recommend I get that will run really well at 1680x1050?

EDIT: I also plan to sit on this machine for the next 4 years. Would you still recommend the dual core over the quad?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Branskins said:

EDIT: I also plan to sit on this machine for the next 4 years. Would you still recommend the dual core over the quad?

I still think the 9800GX2 is your best bet. It's power is incredible, especially for the price. And as far as the 1680X1050 issue goes, just crank up the AA and AF.

And if you're going to try to make this last for 4 years, Quad Core is most certainly the way to go.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Fallout-NL said:
Cept 'microstuttering' sounds like it's really fucking annoying.

It is in certain situations, but really only when the framerate is low enough. I think a lot of people are blowing it out of proportion.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Branskins said:

The GX2 will let you play any game including Crysis at that res. Remember you need both an 8 pin and 6 pin connector and it gets pretty hot on load so I'd Rivatuner it at least 70% fan speed.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
apparantly the 8.8 catalyst drivers are supposed to hit this tuesday, hope they arent only giving performance boost to Crossfire cards, i only got one 4850 :p

Supposedly powerplay 2.0 works with it too for 4870 users and 4850 users in CF. and fanspeed is updated (!)

Top Bottom