• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

SRG01

oo Kosma oo said:
I think it could yeah. Is 400w that much more cash? That works for sure.

Really? Isn't the jump even bigger then from 667 to 800?

Well it's just that I'm planning to take apart my old computer to fit this one in! :lol

oo Kosma oo said:

What really matters is that you are running it at at least 1:1 with the FSB. Anything over 1:1 has huge diminishing returns (as in 5:4 might see a 1% increase in speed over 1:1).

Also, remember that ram is dual pumped and the FSB is quad pumped, so the ram will work fine with an FSB that is up to twice its rated speed (so ddr2 800 works great with up to a 1600mhz FSB).

1066 really only makes sense for the most extreme overclocks.

RoShamBo said:

oooh... i was thinking about getting a dell, but this seems to have a lot more for the $ compared to what i configured

gahh... still sold out... anyone else have links/suggestions? the desktop seems to have everything i want for the $ im willing to spend

Cheeto

NovemberMike said:
I am running Vista 64 Business and am having absolutely no problems.
What kind of sound are you running?

NIghtWolf said:
opps! I forgot to say that is going to power a 22' - 24' monitor, that one still good for it?
Ya you'd still be fine, but pushing it. Personally, I but put my monitors on UPS because they don't break on outages. If you want to run a couple more devices, it might be worth it to get the beefier model.
http://www.buy.com/prod/apc-be750bb...ne-coaxial-protection/q/loc/101/10380784.html

1-D_FTW

I haven't measured one recently (and I haven't measured any at eye-cancer inducing brightness levels), but I'm guessing at a decent brightness level it's 60-80 watts and double that if you're running at 100 brightness. Every LCD I've ever calibrated has ended up in the 0-20 range for brightness level. Everything else is ****ed up IMO.

Davidion

WhatRuOn said:
Oh ya? How about 32? :D

You suck
and I'm jealous :(

But honestly, I'm a big proponent of correct viewing distances for displays, which typically is about 2.5x of the screen diagonal. With monitors where you have to see more detail, obviously that's going to be a little less. IMO 24" is about as big as a monitor should get for standard computer viewing distances, but that's just me.

oo Kosma oo said:

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of upgrading ram unless it's a BIG jump. I'm sure people can easily argue otherwise, but to me it's the least important step in the upgrade chain unless the rest of your hardware profile is that much advanced.

fake edit: or just read November Mike's infinitely more articulate explanation. :lol

Thomper

Help me, PC GAF! I've been thinking for quite a while about buying a new PC, but finding the right components - I still really don't understand it. My current PC is pretty awful at playing games, so pretty much the only things I would carry over to the new one would be speakers, mouse, keyboard, and the monitor. There's also a 30gb hard drive and 768 mb of memory divided among two sticks, but I think I'd best just replace those.

I have set my budget at about 700 euro's, and if I could spend less, I'd be happy to. I'm looking to play games like Half-Life 2, Trackmania, Sam & Max, possibly Company of Heroes if that would work on a PC with that budget. I really don't know much about the correct PC components, so if anybody could help me, thank you very, very much.

Antagon

Thomper said:
Help me, PC GAF! I've been thinking for quite a while about buying a new PC, but finding the right components - I still really don't understand it. My current PC is pretty awful at playing games, so pretty much the only things I would carry over to the new one would be speakers, mouse, keyboard, and the monitor. There's also a 30gb hard drive and 768 mb of memory divided among two sticks, but I think I'd best just replace those.

I have set my budget at about 700 euro's, and if I could spend less, I'd be happy to. I'm looking to play games like Half-Life 2, Trackmania, Sam & Max, possibly Company of Heroes if that would work on a PC with that budget. I really don't know much about the correct PC components, so if anybody could help me, thank you very, very much.

Case+Power supply:
Antec Sonata III 500 Zwart, 500 Watt € 87,35
Dvd Rewriter:
Asus DVD-RW DRW-2014BLT S-ATA, Retail, Zwart € 26,85
Memory:
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 2048 MB, PC6400, 800 MHz, 5, Kit Of 2 € 41,13
Hard Drive:
Samsung HD200HJ 200 GB, 7200 Rpm, 8 MB, S-ATA II/300 € 36,09
Processor:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.66 GHz, 1333 MHz, 6 MB, Boxed € 128,53
Motherboard:
GigaByte GA-P35-DS3L € 63,03
Graphics Card:
Asus GeForce 9600 GT/HTDI Dual Slot 512 MB, PCI-e 16x € 127,73

620 euros total (including BTW), will play pretty much everything you can find outside of crysis at max settings. Even Crysis will run well at high-very high. You could change the graphics card for an 8800GT (around 40-50 euros more) which is even faster and get a bigger hard drive for a bit extra.

If you really only want to play the games that you listed you can go for something like this though:

Case:
Cooler Master Elite 330 Zwart, Zilver, Geen Voeding, Nee € 26,05
Power Supply:
Antec Basiq Power 350 Watt, 24 Pins € 30,21
Dvd Writer:
LG DVD-RW GSA-H10NRBB IDE, Bulk, Zwart € 21,85
Memory:
Corsair ValueSelect VS2GB667D2 2048 MB, PC5300, 667 MHz, 5 € 30,21
Motherboard:
Asus M2A-VM € 42,82
CPU:
AMD CPU Athlon 64 X2 4000+ 65 Watt 2.10 GHz, 1000 MHz, 2x 512kB , Boxed € 48,70
Graphics card:
GigaByte Radeon X1650 XT 256 MB, PCI-e 16x € 37,82

335 Euros including BTW, and should play all the games you listed fine. You probably won't be able to play Company of Heroes at max settings though.

Used www.sallandautomatisering.nl for the prices.

Andokuky

Banned
I'm going to build my own computer. Right now I use a prehistoric piece of crap with a VIA processor at 700Mhz and less than half a gig of RAM. I want something newer, faster. I don't care too much for PC gaming but it would be nice to at least have the option. Here is what I have thought about buying thus far, any help would be appreciated.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000+ = $100
Mobo: BIOSTAR TF560 = $70 (after rebate)
Memory: A-DATA 4GB DDR2 800 = $80
DVD/CD Drive: Samsung = $30
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 250GB = $67
Total thus far: $357

I still need a competent video card. I don't need top of the line, but something that works well enough to play recent games at medium or so settings would be great. Any area there where I could save some money? Maybe go 2GB of memory for $50 or so? I don't need 250GB of HDD space but that's the cheapest I could find. How the FUCK does MS charge $100 for 20GB when you can find 12x that space for far less :lol Also, I am open to changing any of this if people have better ideas. I think I would also need a new power supply maybe? Maybe not. Also, anyone know of any good flat screen monitor deals?

Thomper

Antagon said:
Case+Power supply:
Antec Sonata III 500 Zwart, 500 Watt € 87,35
Dvd Rewriter:
Asus DVD-RW DRW-2014BLT S-ATA, Retail, Zwart € 26,85
Memory:
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 2048 MB, PC6400, 800 MHz, 5, Kit Of 2 € 41,13
Hard Drive:
Processor:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.66 GHz, 1333 MHz, 6 MB, Boxed € 128,53
Motherboard:
GigaByte GA-P35-DS3L € 63,03
Graphics Card:
Asus GeForce 9600 GT/HTDI Dual Slot 512 MB, PCI-e 16x € 127,73

620 euros total (including BTW), will play pretty much everything you can find outside of crysis at max settings. Even Crysis will run well at high-very high. You could change the graphics card for an 8800GT (around 40-50 euros more) which is even faster and get a bigger hard drive for a bit extra.

If you really only want to play the games that you listed you can go for something like this though:

Case:
Cooler Master Elite 330 Zwart, Zilver, Geen Voeding, Nee € 26,05
Power Supply:
Antec Basiq Power 350 Watt, 24 Pins € 30,21
Dvd Writer:
LG DVD-RW GSA-H10NRBB IDE, Bulk, Zwart € 21,85
Memory:
Corsair ValueSelect VS2GB667D2 2048 MB, PC5300, 667 MHz, 5 € 30,21
Motherboard:
Asus M2A-VM € 42,82
CPU:
AMD CPU Athlon 64 X2 4000+ 65 Watt 2.10 GHz, 1000 MHz, 2x 512kB , Boxed € 48,70
Graphics card:
GigaByte Radeon X1650 XT 256 MB, PCI-e 16x € 37,82

335 Euros including BTW, and should play all the games you listed fine. You probably won't be able to play Company of Heroes at max settings though.

Used www.sallandautomatisering.nl for the prices.
Thanks! Really helpful. Just one question: how big is the difference between the 9600 and the 8800? Would it be worth the extra 50 bucks?

Antagon

Thomper said:
Thanks! Really helpful. Just one question: how big is the difference between the 9600 and the 8800? Would it be worth the extra 50 bucks?

There aren't a lot of benchmarks out, but the difference seem small, especially when you turn Anti Aliasing and Anisitropic Filtering on.

dionysus

Yaldog
I just built a new gaming PC, and need some recommendations for sound. I am sick and tired of thousands of cords everywhere, so I am looking at headphones. What are some good gaming headphones?

Slo

dionysus said:
I just built a new gaming PC, and need some recommendations for sound. I am sick and tired of thousands of cords everywhere, so I am looking at headphones. What are some good gaming headphones?

Good question. I'd like the best headset that I can get for about $50. Must have a mic.

Thomper

Antagon said:
There aren't a lot of benchmarks out, but the difference seem small, especially when you turn Anti Aliasing and Anisitropic Filtering on.
I'll probably take the 9600, then. One other thing: I noticed the casing/cooling you picked seems pricey compared to some of the others, but I don't know if these would also fit everything. Are there cheaper options for this available?

Kosma

Banned
Thomper said:
Are there cheaper options for this available?

You can get about any case you want really and as cheap as 30 euro I guess and everything would still fit, it all depends on taste and what you expect. For some more cash you can have a more silent case with more fan options (although I have seen cheap cases with huge 120 mm fans) etc. The Antec Antagon picked for you is a solid and nice case though.

Thomper

oo Kosma oo said:
You can get about any case you want really and as cheap as 30 euro I guess and everything would still fit, it all depends on taste and what you expect. For some more cash you can have a more silent case with more fan options (although I have seen cheap cases with huge 120 mm fans) etc. The Antec Antagon picked for you is a solid and nice case though.
Ah, I guess I'll look around a bit more. Any money saved is good, so if you would have another case you would recommend, it would be very welcome. The looks don't really matter - the PC stands underneath my desk so I never really look at it.

1-D_FTW

There's not a huge difference between 9600 and 8800GT, but Newegg had the MSI 8800GT OC with Zalman cooler for 186.99 after 30 mail-in rebate last time I looked this morning.

Thomper

1-D_FTW said:
There's not a huge difference between 9600 and 8800GT, but Newegg had the MSI 8800GT OC with Zalman cooler for 186.99 after 30 mail-in rebate last time I looked this morning.
Sure, but I'm Dutch so I can't order from NewEgg. ;)

1-D_FTW

Huh. I held off on posting that info earlier cause I saw your Euro list. But then when I saw somebody quoteing the differences, I didn't look to see it was talking about you again. Oh well, maybe somebody will find it useful in this thread.

WhatRuOn said:
What kind of sound are you running?

I am no audiophile, so I am running a two speaker setup (no bass) off of the integrated Audio.

I have a friend with a creative sound card, 7.1 system and Vista that has no problems as well.

Kosma

Banned
Thomper said:
Ah, I guess I'll look around a bit more. Any money saved is good, so if you would have another case you would recommend, it would be very welcome. The looks don't really matter - the PC stands underneath my desk so I never really look at it.

I see you're from the Netherlands too. So I'll give you a nice link or two.

tqxm12.jpg

Very good 59 euro case (no PSU), was advised to me by some of the best PC guys I know myself.

tqxs19.jpg

Simple 35 euro case, with nice fans (No PSU)

MoxManiac said:
Hey guys, should games run good at 1650x1050 (or whatver the 22" LCD res is) with the E8400 and 8800GT combo?

Games run well for me at that resolution and with that GPU (CPU doesn't care about the res).

Antagon

I took the 100E case since it is supposed to be a good and quiet case and comes with a good 500W antec PSU. You might be able to save a bit of money on it, but if you want a quality power supply the difference won't be big. I think that the combo of case/psu is definitely one of the best price/quality options there is though.

Antagon

Thomper said:
Top one looks nice, I'd definately want some USB/audioslots at the front.

Where could I find a PSU and how much would it cost me?

You can find PSU's everywhere. If you want a good quality 400W+ PSU (which I'd recommend because of stability) you're looking at around 50-60+ Euros. The case that I included comes with an 500W Antec PSU that alone is around 70 euros. The case also has some stuff included for lowering the sound it makes (sound dampening material on the doors and vibration dampening for hard drives) which from my experience make a big difference.

It's this case btw:
33250.jpg

Syb

Antagon said:
You can find PSU's everywhere. If you want a good quality 400W+ PSU (which I'd recommend because of stability) you're looking at around 50-60+ Euros. The case that I included comes with an 500W Antec PSU that alone is around 70 euros. The case also has some stuff included for lowering the sound it makes (sound dampening material on the doors and vibration dampening for hard drives) which from my experience make a big difference.

It's this case btw:
http://www.sallandautomatisering.nl/files/33250.jpg
I give props to this case. Its as quiet as a mouse and the included PSU is excellent.

Andokuky

Banned
Ok so I think I am done shopping for PC parts, except a new PSU if I need one. Here is my haul:

Mobo: BIOSTAR TF560 = $80 ($70 after rebate)
Memory: GSKILL 2GB DDR2 800 = $45
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 80GB = $44
Graphics Card: MSI GeForce 9600GT = $175
Case: XION II XON ATX TOWER = $65 ($50 after rebate)
Monitor: HP 17" LCD = $185 ($165 after rebate)
Total thus far: $757 from Newegg including shipping, $722 after rebates

The PC case comes with a 450W PSU. If that's not good enough, anyone got any recommendations on a worthy replacement? I might pass on a new monitor for now and replace it with the PSU.

jvalioli

MoxManiac said:
Hey guys, should games run good at 1650x1050 (or whatver the 22" LCD res is) with the E8400 and 8800GT combo?
I don't own a lot of games but the Crysis demo is mostly unplayable because of frame rate on very high. I'm sure on a mix on high and very high it would run fine.

Kosma

Banned
Andokuky said:
The PC case comes with a 450W PSU. If that's not good enough, anyone got any recommendations on a worthy replacement? I might pass on a new monitor for now and replace it with the PSU.

I've got a 400 Watt PSU with my case and that's still working so I'd say go for it!

Ravenn17

I'm on a $1200 budget, and I have a few things in mind.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale (bought)
SAMSUNG 906BW Black-Silver 19"
eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
4 GB of RAM (DDR2)
500 GB HDD 7200 RPM
Samsung DVD/CD drive
Still looking for a case (want to spend $100-150)

Few questions:

- What version of Vista should I buy?
- What are some good 2.1 speakers?
- What kind of Mobo should I get?
- Power supply? 500 Watt should be good, right?

I'm a first time builder, so any tips, recommendations, or comments are welcome.

DSN2K

right I need a low profile decent PCIe graphics card, something whats gonna fit in my microATX case and not take up all the power of the sun.

Slo

Andokuky said:
Ok so I think I am done shopping for PC parts, except a new PSU if I need one. Here is my haul:

Mobo: BIOSTAR TF560 = $80 ($70 after rebate)
Memory: GSKILL 2GB DDR2 800 = $45
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 80GB = $44
Graphics Card: MSI GeForce 9600GT = $175
Case: XION II XON ATX TOWER = $65 ($50 after rebate)
Monitor: HP 17" LCD = $185 ($165 after rebate)
Total thus far: $757 from Newegg including shipping, $722 after rebates

Just a comment, it seems like you're paying a lot for a 17" monitor when you could get a 19" for the same price or a 22" for a little more.

Kosma

Banned
Slo said:
Just a comment, it seems like you're paying a lot for a 17" monitor when you could get a 19" for the same price or a 22" for a little more.

Wow now that you've said that....It's a 4:3 monitor with 500:1 contrast ratio. I don't think it's possible to pick anything worse.

kmfdmpig

Ravenn17 said:
I'm on a $1200 budget, and I have a few things in mind.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale (bought)
SAMSUNG 906BW Black-Silver 19"
eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
4 GB of RAM (DDR2)
500 GB HDD 7200 RPM
Samsung DVD/CD drive
Still looking for a case (want to spend $100-150)

Few questions:

- What version of Vista should I buy?
- What are some good 2.1 speakers?
- What kind of Mobo should I get?
- Power supply? 500 Watt should be good, right?

I'm a first time builder, so any tips, recommendations, or comments are welcome.

500 Watts should be plenty of room for now and for future upgrades. With Vista you'll want to b ee sure to get the Vista 64 (if you're getting 4GB of Ram). The reason is that Vista 32 only reads 4GB of RAM total. This includes system RAM and other RAM such as on video cards and sound cards. With Vista 32 you'd have about 3.2-3.4 GB of useable RAM, while with Vista 64 you'd have access to all of your RAM and still room to expand down the road.

Here are some different speaker sets that come highly recommended. I have the X-230s and I highly recommend them for affordable decent speakers:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121123
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836113161
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121130
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121014
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121122

Slavik81

GAF help, please?

I'm trying to build a computer entirely based on parts from www.canadacomputers.com, as they have a store just down the block from me...

Right now, I'm trying to looking at trying to get this budget computer to be the best it can be for under $850CAD after tax. I've never built a PC before, so I really need help making sure that this is a good selection of components.

I'm thinking getting a kick-ass monitor is probably the most important, as the person who's actually going to be using it isn't going to notice or care about much else as long as the system works nicely.

BudgerPC.gif

Other components I'm looking at include:
ASUS VW222U 22" Widescreen Black LCD Monitor, 2ms, 2000:1 CR, WSXGA+ (1680x1050), 300cd/m2, Built-In Stereo Speakers - $284.99
Antec Sonata III Quiet Super Mid Tower w/ 500W PSU Metallic Charcoal Color - $109.99

Althane

Out of curiosity: Is there anywhere one can read up on how to build a PC and do it properly?

My family needs a new computer, and I was thinking of building one, just because I'd like the experience, and I could make a better one for much cheaper. Or so.

Plus, I already do enough troubleshooting for them, might as well add more to the load.

SRG01

Slavik81 said:
GAF help, please?

I'm trying to build a computer entirely based on parts from www.canadacomputers.com, as they have a store just down the block from me...

Right now, I'm trying to looking at trying to get this budget computer to be the best it can be for under $850CAD after tax. I've never built a PC before, so I really need help making sure that this is a good selection of components.

I'm thinking getting a kick-ass monitor is probably the most important, as the person who's actually going to be using it isn't going to notice or care about much else as long as the system works nicely.

BudgerPC.gif

Other components I'm looking at include:
ASUS VW222U 22" Widescreen Black LCD Monitor, 2ms, 2000:1 CR, WSXGA+ (1680x1050), 300cd/m2, Built-In Stereo Speakers - $284.99
Antec Sonata III Quiet Super Mid Tower w/ 500W PSU Metallic Charcoal Color - $109.99

Do you have a monitor that you can reuse?

Go take a look at kosma's $399 budget Crysis machine. It's pretty good.

Althane said:
Out of curiosity: Is there anywhere one can read up on how to build a PC and do it properly?

My family needs a new computer, and I was thinking of building one, just because I'd like the experience, and I could make a better one for much cheaper. Or so.

Plus, I already do enough troubleshooting for them, might as well add more to the load.

We can help you with that. Are they looking for something just to surf the internet or something that will play movies as well?

Althane

My brother plays games, but none of them are so graphically intensive that it'd need a high end card. Then again, cards aren't TERRIBLY expensive.

So:

Internet Surfing.
Game Playing (enough to play, say, Dawn of War at high end graphics. Oblivion on medium, so on)
General Storage (so large HD)

That's about it. Most my family has moved on to use laptops or has left the house, so, yeah. It's mostly to keep pictures and important documents around. I've been meaning to have them go for a external hard drive, but they don't want it. Bleh (coulda gotten a 1 TB one cheap from school, too)

Top Bottom