• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kikujiro

oly9.jpg

More here:
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/08/2008_olympics_opening_ceremony.html

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
That last photo in the link depressed me. Conditions in that home don't look too hot!
That photo just kind of annoyed me, honestly. Feels REALLY out of place amongst all the others.

I'm sure them doing that with their arms was totally unscripted, too.

NewLib

Banned
I really hope Chicago can get their shit together and get the Olympics in 2016 as I plan being a resident there during that time frame.

distantmantra said:
China just rolled out, the crowd didn't go as crazy as I thought they would.

Thank you, CBC, for showing the ceremony live. And screw you, NBC, for waiting until 7:30 PM tonight to show it.
The best part of CBC are the occasional sarcastic remarks from Mansbridge and Maclean.

"there will be 205 countries at this year's Olympics, the most ever - wait, we've just gotten word that * tiny country I had never heard of * has withdrawn"
"well there go their medal hopes"

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
wtf is this shit

first basketball game starts at 10pm est and it's online only. On the Olympic basketball channel, the next game is at 2:30am @_@

Why isn't Bravo or Oxygen showing Shooting

fuck it all

Dali said:
Are we talking about because of the smog or other factors? There were some cyclists complaining after the an Olympic trail in September that the air was the reason they didn't finish.

Part of the cycle course is laid out on the Great Wall. The Great Wall!!!

X26

Banned
Watching now on CBC (couldn't see it live), pretty good sofar, that part with all those people in the boxes, wow.

ccbfan

NBC is freakin censoring the Olympic Chinese style.

None of the international channels are even allowed to show the openning ceremony in the U.S.

My parents has all the Chinese channels and none of them is allowed to show anything.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
ccbfan said:

None of the international channels are even allowed to show the openning ceremony in the U.S.

My parents has all the Chinese channels and none of them is allowed to show anything.

Yep, that's what my parents said this morning. We have like 5 or 6 Chinese channels too.

Alucard

Banned
I'm watching the opening ceremonies on CBC right now and am absolutely blown away by how beautiful everything is.

Either my tastes have matured and I now can appreciate opening ceremonies, or this was a pretty good opening ceremonies... the colours were just insane.

besada

Banned
I just discovered that not only are the Netherlands fielding a baseball team, they've fielded one for the last four Olympics. Japan, Cuba, and the U.S. I understand, but the Netherlands?

Most of the Euro baseball teams are new this Olympics, but the Netherlands have been there since the get go. Do people actually like Baseball in the Netherlands?

Alucard

Banned
ccbfan said:

Wait...are you saying that the opening ceremonies are NOT being shown on NBC, or that NBC is the only station showing them? I'm in Canada and am watching the CBC.

calder

Wow, I never thought I'd ever have to say this but... the opening ceremonies kinda kicked ass. :lol The fireworks were, as you'd expect, mind-blowing but the footpints were especially awesome. Seeing this shit in HD helps, there have been some fantastic visuals to absorb.

Even the artsy/dance stuff, normally incredibly boring and pointless, was good. Reminds me of how incredibly bad the opening for the Sydney games were, and how the Vancouver games probably aren't going to be much better.

Dali

Alucard said:
Wait...are you saying that the opening ceremonies are NOT being shown on NBC, or that NBC is the only station showing them? I'm in Canada and am watching the CBC.
He's saying that domestically (in the U.S.) NBC and its affiliates has the Olympics on lock down.

calder

ccbfan said:

Yeah it's always like that. Last Winter games I was excited because I thought I'd get to see the coverage on the NBC affiliate stations we get here in Canada. No luck, which was annoying as sometimes my channel guide would show MSNBC as having a hockey game or something but it would be some random MSNBC International bullshit show about the London stock exchange or whatever.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Sax Russel said:
Just turned on NBC, thought I was late to the opening ceremonies but... they're not even going to show them? wtf -_-

Should be starting in a few minutes.

It's so nice to be able to watch this on a TV instead of a pixelated online stream.

giga said:
Please shut your mouth nbc announcers and let me enjoy the show.

Seriously. I don't give a fuck about this whole fucking western eastern clash dynamic. That's not what the Olympics are fucking about.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
I'm pretty sure when I get really wealthy I will demand a group of over 2000 people wielding those drums to perform for me daily.

That shit just would never get old.

Timan

Developer
Damn NBC and Verizon Fios, the quality of HD is crap. So blocky, even seems to be crap quality over the air aswell :(

giga

RubxQub said:
I'm pretty sure when I get really wealthy I will demand a group of over 2000 people wielding those drums to perform for me daily.

That shit just would never get old.
I'm with this guy.

Legen

wait for it

dary.

Meier

Drumming got a little boring after the spectacle of the countdown... then they busted out the red drumsticks and turned out the light. That was pretty sweet. The footsteps and then the 'dream rings' were amazing.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
With the commercials NBC is introducing, can anybody recognize if they're cutting anything out of the ceremony? I missed this part earlier this morning.

Meier

SnowWolf said:
With the commercials NBC is introducing, can anybody recognize if they're cutting anything out of the ceremony? I missed this part earlier this morning.
This is considerably tape delayed, so there's no reason they'd cut anything.

calder

The painting scroll was a great idea, the whole way they presented all that visual style on the screens around the rim of the stadium and on the main stage was great.

Parade of nations almost done here. As always, my wife and I spent most of it trying to figure out which country had unis that made them look the most like flight attendants for a cut rate regional airline. It was like a 10 way tie.

Best opening ceremonies for any sporting event I've ever seen. Made almost everything else like it I've bothered to watch look like boring crap in comparison, extremely well done (a little too long but that's a downright inevitability). Who else wants to bet Vancouver 2010 committee is already trying to figure out how to get an extra few million to spend on theirs? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom