• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
NetMapel said:
You're from Taiwan as well ?

You know, every Taiwanese should just identify themselves here :p *raises hand*

My parents are from Taiwan, I was born in the U.S. I'm definitely rediscovering my roots as I get older though :D

Karakand

Taraje just dropped fat man and little boy on his competition.

the disgruntled gamer said:
Yeah. I still don't understand why their gone, BUT WHATEVER I'll go watch Olympic-worthy sports, like "Trampoline."
The 2 spots freed up weren't filled so in theory it can come back in 2016. As for why it's gone... haters! Bring back polo too!

datruth29

The_Inquisitor said:
I hear no commentary! That's the beauty of this!
If you go to the bottom bar, you could read some commentary by clicking on the "commentary" button. No voice, so it still works!

Caturro

A Chilean and a Bolivian leading the cycing competition. As a Chilean I have to say this has caught me by surprise... hopefully he can keep going at the same pace. Still more than half of the race to go! :D

OatmealMu

datruth29 said:
If you go to the bottom bar, you could read some commentary by clicking on the "commentary" button. No voice, so it still works!

Yeah. I assume they're well versed in the ways of judo. Just wondering who they are so I can look 'em up. :p

Maybe this is just me as a ex-wrestler but those Gis that they have to wear seem kinda awkward for judo. I guess it is tradition, but all that extra fabric has to get in the way.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Hello fellow Taiwanese :D I was born in Taiwan and immigrated to Canada years back so I root for both teams ! I'll try my best to keep you guys all posted, haha

PS: Can somebody give me a zip code / TV provider combo so I can watch the recaps on NBCOlympics.com ? Thanks !

joesmokey

Being able to watch any of these events, even after they're not live is pretty impressive.

At least I'll have something to do during work now :lol

the disgruntled gamer said:
Holy fuck, and ippon just happened in this Judo match. Whatever that is, it was a pretty awesome move.

So the ippon is an instant win? What has to happen for that to be counted? It must be more then just a takedown as there were plenty of those already.

giga

yeah i couldnt help it

Picture+2.png

Zoolaga

TheFightingFish said:
So the ippon is an instant win? What has to happen for that to be counted? It must be more then just a takedown as there were plenty of those already.

I think it has to be a clean throw where they land flat on there back or shoulders.

TDG

Banned
The Czech-who-looks-kind-of-like-Tyler-Hansbrough is kicking this Brazilian's ass. Man, are all Judo coaches such crybabies?

EDIT: Czech-who-looks-kind-of-like-Tyler-Hansbrough won.

giga

The object in a judo match is to either throw the opponent to the ground on his back; to pin him to the ground principally on his back; or to force him to submit to a choke, strangle or an armlock. Any of these score ippon (一本), immediately winning the match.

Judo has four grades of score: ippon, waza-ari, yuko, and koka. An ippon literally means "one point" and wins the match. An ippon is awarded for (a) a throw that lands the opponent largely on their back in a controlled manner with speed and force; (b) for a mat hold of sufficient duration (twenty five seconds); or (c) for opponent submission. A waza-ari is awarded for a throw that does not quite have enough power or control to be considered ippon; or for a hold of twenty seconds. A waza-ari is a half-point, and, if two are scored, they constitute the full point needed for a win.

Yuko and koka are lower grades of score, and only count as tie-breakers - they are not cumulative with one another. Scoring is lexicographic; a waza-ari beats any number of yuko, but a waza-ari and a yuko beat a waza-ari with no yuko. It is not uncommon for a match to be decided based on koka.

A fifteen-second hold down scores yuko and a ten-second hold down scores koka. If the person who secured the hold down already has a waza-ari, they only need to hold the hold down for twenty seconds to score ippon by way of two waza-ari (waza-ari-awasete-ippon). Throws further lacking the requirements of an ippon or a waza-ari might score a yuko or a koka. So-called "skillful takedowns" are also permitted (e.g. the flying arm-bar) but do not score.

If the scores are identical at the end of the match, the contest is resolved by the Golden Score rule. Golden Score is a sudden death situation where the clock is reset to match-time, and the first contestant to achieve any score wins. If there is no score during this period, then the winner is decided by Hantei, the majority opinion of the referee and the two corner judges.

Karakand

The American dude that won earlier has a blog!

http://www.taraje.com/

Yesterday I had the amazing privilege of attending the Flag Bearer Voters meeting for the US as a representative of our Team Captain. I was one of 20 or so people from nearly every sport to participate. It was an amazing honor for me and I was sure that my voice was heard. :)

I made my vote count and I am happy that the individual I supported was chosen.

Unfortunately I had to bag the Opening Ceremonies. I only have 1.5kg left to lose, and could have done it later on tonight, but standing up for 5-6 hours will not help my performance tomorrow. It was a tough decision, but when it gets down to it. I have had the experience before, and in order to get it all, you have to risk it all.

1. Good vote, Taraje.
2. Making weight sounds crazy.

giga said:
jesus. Korean guy almost dislocated other dudes arm.

Korean guy did well to hold, and then throw the shit out of the other guy. I am really enjoying Judo. Holy hell, I am going to become an international sports fan at this rate.

Now I understand why my friend broke his collarbone when practicing judo. :lol :lol

TDG

Banned
That was a nasty throw. The motherland has been shamed by seeing one of its' children nearly have his arm ripped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom