• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
SnowWolf said:
Now that the closing ceremony is looming, has anybody heard news about it? There was a big hoopla preceding the opening ceremony about all the people involved and how much money was spent, but I'm not seeing anything about the closing. They can't really rehearse any special effects in the Bird's Nest as well, since track & field is being held there.
I'd imagine that they would have done rehearsals before the games started or perhaps before track & field started.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
SnowWolf said:
Now that the closing ceremony is looming, has anybody heard news about it? There was a big hoopla preceding the opening ceremony about all the people involved and how much money was spent, but I'm not seeing anything about the closing. They can't really rehearse any special effects in the Bird's Nest as well, since track & field is being held there.

Isn't a good part of closing ceremonies done by the city that will host the Olympics next? I seem to remember there being some Chinese performance at the end of the Athens games. So probably some British show this time.

Ripclawe

Banned
talk of David Beckham, a rap group whose name escapes me, Mayor Boris and a double decker bus for the closing ceremony.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ecker-bus-lead-handover-ceremony-Beijing.html
David Beckham is to star in a spectacular handover ceremony when Beijing passes the Olympic flag to London on Sunday.

Beckham, 33, will be driven into the Bird's Nest stadium on a red double decker bus watched by millions around the world.

He will then kick footballs to children representing every Olympic nation. The former
England captain was a crucial member of the London bid team who travelled to Singapore in 2005 to help the capital clinch the 2012 Games.

Beckham will appear with fellow Londoners, singer Leona Lewis and Led Zeppelin legend Jimmy Page and Mayor Boris Johnson in the ceremony at the end of the Games.

Shows in Trafalgar Square and street parties in 10 other cities including Cardiff, Glasgow and Manchester will be staged at the same time.

Beckham's appearance will be followed by a duet between Lewis, 23, and Page, 64, before hip hop dancers and ballerinas complete London's eight-minute contribution to the finale.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Erico said:
Isn't a good part of closing ceremonies done by the city that will host the Olympics next? I seem to remember there being some Chinese performance at the end of the Athens games. So probably some British show this time.

Oh, you're right. David Beckham's going to be in the closing ceremony kicking a ball into the crowd :lol

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1183547

^^ Hrm, in the link a few posts up, it says GB's contribution will only be 8 minutes. GB has a rather long history also, I hope for the 2012 opening ceremony there's some King Arthur.

Atlagev

SnowWolf said:
Oh, you're right. David Beckham's going to be in the closing ceremony kicking a ball into the crowd

Kicking a ball into the crowd? What's so special about that? He does that every week! ;-)

Ripclawe said:
talk of David Beckham, a rap group whose name escapes me, Mayor Boris and a double decker bus for the closing ceremony.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ecker-bus-lead-handover-ceremony-Beijing.html
If this is true, then on behalf of the Great British public, I apologise to the world in advance. Is it too late to pretend to be part of some nation less-embarassing, like Canada?

Atlagev said:
Ricky Gervais did a thing before an FA Cup final a few years back. Not sure if you've seen it:
If Twatty Gervais ends up anywhere near our Olympic Stadium, I'm going to be trying out for a Shooting gold medal. It was bad enough when he died on stage in front of a British audience, it'll be 100x worse when the whole world is watching.

Atlagev

Karakand said:
No Oasis NO SALE

Doves, Supergrass, and Blur with Graham Coxon back.

This list could go on all day. So many great English bands...

Your export of good music to the rest of the outside world has been second to none, Britain.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Branduil said:

Amen, Nastia getting robbed was what made me mad the most.

As you can see, in the events where medals are determined by competitors rather than judges, the gold medal gap between China and the U.S. is greatly narrowed, and the total medal count is an American runaway. Counting the judged events, China has a commanding lead in golds. Hmmm... Nope, nothing fishy about that!

Grimmy

Banned
Holy wow, never watched synchronising swimming before, but it's *damn* entertaining! And some of the stuff they do are crazy!

Seanoff, you're a real piece of work aren't you? What is it about the Australian psyche that makes you want to put down others (especially GB)? The hardwork put into Cycling wasn't an accident or a fluke and if they continue to train hard and bring new talent into the sport then I see no reason why the success can't continue.

The Australian attitude stinks.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Branduil said:

:lol OK that's getting a bit sour grape. I can accept that the existing age rule of 16 should be exercised to disqualify any cheaters (hint hint, the Chinese team). However, we must also accept the existing rules breaking up a tiebreaker for the uneven bar event in which Nastia lost. These are rules existing before the competition even begun and all parties accepted those rules.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
NetMapel said:
:lol OK that's getting a bit sour grape. I can accept that the existing age rule of 16 should be exercised to disqualify any cheaters (hint hint, the Chinese team). However, we must also accept the existing rules breaking up a tiebreaker for the uneven bar event in which Nastia lost. These are rules existing before the competition even begun and all parties accepted those rules.

it is total flamebait. also part of the reason the only medal counts i pay any attention to are total medals and gold medals. the rest is just massaging numbers to me.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
so if you take away every single judged event...China STILL leads us in the gold medal count??

geez. What happened, USA? :(

NetMapel

Erico said:
so if you take away every single judged event...China STILL leads us in the gold medal count??

geez. What happened, USA? :(
USA is getting spanked by the stealthy Jamaicans :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
SnowWolf said:
Is whining becoming the new American pastime? Are sour grapes becoming the new American delicacy? This is embarrassing.

i wouldn't take the words of a few fringe sportswriters--always looking to rile things up for the sake of drumming up interest--too seriously. you should see the "why soccer is stupid" articles that crop up during the world cup. pure entmt.

NetMapel

SnowWolf said:
Is whining becoming the new American pastime? Are sour grapes becoming the new American delicacy? This is embarrassing.
To be fair, somebody posted a Chinese forums a couple of posts ago that are just as eager to point of American gymnasts' faults. Except I think the Americans have more ground in this case simply because of the possible age dispute :lol

Thought you guys would appreciate this:

ipbimb.jpg

Socreges

Banned
Branduil said:
Actually, my only "mission" was to point out the utter arbitrariness of any ranking system.
:lol such a good feller...

And I think whining about Americans is representative of European attitudes(among other things). :D
who's european? why don't you just claim that 'whining' about Americans is representative of... non-Americans. you've got that persecution complex anyway, no? :p

Ripclawe

Banned
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Poor baby.

Susanna Kallur of Sweden sits on track after tripping during her women's 100m hurdles semi-final of the athletics competition in the National Stadium at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games August 18, 2008.

capt.f6002258731d4381acc81c193256dbdc.beijing_olympics_athletics_womens_100m_hurdles_olyat298.jpg

r3536028865.jpg

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
fuck yeah

upset in freestyle rasslin

USA got gold and the Kurt Angle era can die

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom