• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

legend166

Drakken said:
SO I've been without TV and Internet since Thursday, and I've missed all Olympic events since then. :(

What are some notable events that happened? I plan on watching the videos of Phelps' golds online, but what else should I check out?

The 100m mens sprint final has been the best thing of the Olympics so far.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Taekwondo's women sounds like they're killing chickens or something :lol wtf at the yelling and screaming ? Also, wtf the Taiwanese player totally knocked the Columbian girl down but got no points ?

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
NetMapel said:
Taekwondo's women sounds like they're killing chickens or something :lol wtf at the yelling and screaming ? Also, wtf the Taiwanese player totally knocked the Columbian girl down but got no points ?

Woo Taiwan advanced :D

Screaming is vital to taekwondo, it's called "kyaa". Besides being an intimidation tactic, it's also a way to channel energy through your kick. It's not like fencing where screaming influences the judges from my experience.

NetMapel

SnowWolf said:
Woo Taiwan advanced :D

Screaming is vital to taekwondo, it's called "kyaa". Besides being an intimidation tactic, it's also a way to channel energy through your kick. It doesn't really work like fencing where screaming influences the judges.
I know, she frigging owned ! It's not the screaming I have problem with, it's just... the way they scream :lol It's like, "eeeeeee !" or "yah yah yah !" and just sounded so weird :lol Anyways, CoLOLbia owned :D

You gotta tell me how the point system works though. I don't know why the Taiwanese girl didn't win any points for taking down her opponent multiple times.

tenritsu said:
So, i'm looking at US vs. Georgia, and here's what I see are the Georgians' names:

Geor/Gia

... really?

I heard this on the radio a few days ago. :lol :lol :lol

Apparently about 4 men on the Georgian team are all called 'George' obviously with a different spelling.

lunlunqq

Watching Taekwondo now and it make me think how these fighting sports have given up important techniques to knock their opponents. Taekwondo is just about kicking. Boxing is only pnuching. Wrestle is only throwing and choking... We should really have some some real fighting event like some MMA shit in the Olympics.

NetMapel

lunlunqq said:
Watching Taekwondo now and it make me think how these fighting sports have given up important techniques to knock their opponents. Taekwondo is just about kicking. Boxing is only pnuching. Wrestle is only throwing and choking... We should really have some some real fighting event like some MMA shit in the Olympics.
Yeah that would own. The ultimate fighting game where anything goes other than the basic no eye-poking and biting and stuff.

Iraq is owning her opponent in taekwondo, whoa :lol

Ceres

Banned
NetMapel said:
I know, she frigging owned ! It's not the screaming I have problem with, it's just... the way they scream :lol It's like, "eeeeeee !" or "yah yah yah !" and just sounded so weird :lol Anyways, CoLOLbia owned :D

You gotta tell me how the point system works though. I don't know why the Taiwanese girl didn't win any points for taking down her opponent multiple times.

Did you watch any of the fencing? They also were screaming after every point. I could never tell if in celebration or in anger.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
NetMapel said:

I only caught the tailend of the Taiwan match so I didn't see the takedowns, but you only get points for hard strikes to the head and the body protector. Scoring is mostly through kicks, but you can get points from punching as well. The punch has to be pretty damn strong to register as a point though, most people don't really punch because it doesn't have the range and power of a kick.

NetMapel

Ceres said:
Did you watch any of the fencing? They also were screaming after every point. I could never tell if in celebration or in anger.
Oh yeah I saw a bit of fencing. They scream more like "RAWR" like tigers. Taekwondo so far sounds more like duck cracking :lol

Ripclawe

Banned
I am just posting this because I didn't know there was such a sport...

American Tunnicliffe wins Laser Radial sail gold
17 hours ago

QINGDAO, China (AP) — American Anna Tunnicliffe has won the Olympic gold medal in Laser Radial sailing after coming from behind in the final medal race to finish second and secure the top spot on overall points.

Gintare Volungeviciute took silver on Tuesday for Lithuania's first sailing medal in an Olympics, while China's Xu Lijia took bronze.

British-born Tunnicliffe was ahead on overall points going into the final medal race, but the American needed a solid place to secure the top spot.

The 25-year-old was down as far as ninth out of 10 boats that qualified for Tuesday's final. Tunnicliffe says she spotted a wind shift on the third leg, fought her way up to third, and finished 11 seconds behind Volungeviciute to take the gold on total points after 10 races

6msed3

Ceres

Banned
Chamber said:
I'll take it. The only good coming from NBC having the games is the use of the NBA on NBC theme during basketball games.

You realize ESPN's broadcast will be this:

They should have real sports like football in the Olympics. BTW, MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL IS COMING SOON!

lunlunqq said:
Do all the trash talk you want. Nothing's gonna change the fact that we are kicking your collective ass in the Olympics. Eat your heart out!!! :D

Will I get banned for making a joke about the Chinese diet as a subtle commentary on the state of human rights/ quality of living in China?

Alucard

Banned
Bolt's showmanship is great for getting track and field some attention in the media. He is very much larger than life right now. If he wins on Wednesday night, I just might explode. FYI, the race is at 10:20pm Peking/Beijing time. Wish it was right now, since I'll be missing it at work. :(

lunlunqq

I feel pretty bad for the first Chinese guy on parallel bar. He's 3-time world champion on parallel. He started with the most difficult routine in this competition and he almost nailed it... then that mistake... And this is his last Olympics. What a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom