• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Damn, you know you are not watching world class baseball when Mike Hessman is playing on the US team.

Hootie

ChrisGoldstein said:
Yeah seriously, they need to be naturalized so they can change uniforms.

Usain Bolt on the US team would be epic. Too bad he would never do that =(

BRING BACK MICHAEL JOHNSON!!!

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Dali said:
At least it was just her. When she fell, it looked like she was about to take out the Jamaican next to her as well.

It's the thought that counts.

We need more pictures of her. Especially her ass. Seriously, wow.

Patch1922

Ripclawe said:
6q8io6.jpg

Damn! So who is she?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
:lol holy crap

the Gold Medal Match 55kg is awesome

random 80s rock playing, the PA calling play by play, and the USA chants. It's like the Karate Kid 2.
The commentary guy is funny to boot.

Teddman

Erico said:
so if you take away every single judged event...China STILL leads us in the gold medal count??

geez. What happened, USA? :(
No.

Remember, if you take away every single judged event, you not only SUBTRACT the golds from China but ADD them to another country's total... Likely the U.S. in many cases.

lopaz said:
Does anyone know why in the cycling sprint, they go slow as ass for 2 laps?

It's an advantage to draft the rider in front going into an all out sprint, so they're actually trying to go as slowly as possible in the beginning.

lopaz

Banned
captscience said:
It's an advantage to draft the rider in front going into an all out sprint, so they're actually trying to go as slowly as possible in the beginning.

Well I'll be damed. Thanks for clearing that up :)

edit: your username is fitting. Like some crazy superhero that flies in and solves scientific quandaries.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Teddman said:
No.

Remember, if you take away every single judged event, you not only SUBTRACT the golds from China but ADD them to another country's total... Likely the U.S. in many cases.

Actually, yes. The article throws away judged event medals for BOTH US and China, on the basis there's an inherent judging bias. It'd be a bit fallacious to say that China didn't deserve it's medals due to judging bias, whereas the US not only gets to keep it's judged medals..it'd get China's too :lol

Anyways, definitely sour grapes on the columnist's part. If I were him, I'd disregard all badminton+table tennis medals too, just for the hell of it.

ghibli99

AstroLad said:
funny b/c it was probably the last one anyone expected her to win, especially after the way things have been going. pretty nice surprise.
So awesome! They haven't even aired here yet, but I'm sure I'll be riveted watching it tonight. It's not so much the results, but how they get there that's most exciting. I was also surprised when my wife shared the news with me, but that must mean that she just killed it with her routine. Her raw power really is amazing on the beam and is a great complement to Liukin's grace. What an ending!

Also, I hope they show Bela's reaction to her routine. Those are the best! :)

NetMapel said:
I'm only talking about the men's side. On the women's side, China's Guo Jing Jing looks healthy with decent size. The rest of the female competitors seems fine but some are just a tad bit bigger than Guo, which is fine IMO.
I think most of the fatties are on the women's side of diving, actually. The Americans and Canadians are definitely a few sizes bigger than the Chinese... I thought the male divers were much more closely proportioned. The Chinese divers had lower BF%, but the difference between them and the other divers wasn't staggering.

Pachael

At the beginning

John Coates said:
Asked if he was surprised by Great Britain's good performances in the swimming, Coates said they had done well - for a nation short on pools and soap.

"Great Britain may have been in lane seven and eight but, um, they seemed to be getting there for a country that has very few swimming pools and not much soap,'' Coates said.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/beijing_olympics/story/0,27313,24168391-5016818,00.html

Now

John Coates said:
Yesterday, Australian Olympic Committee president John Coates downgraded Australia's probable medal tally from 48 to between 40 and 42. He also acknowledged Great Britain's re-emergence. "Their new-found cockiness has got some substance to it," he said. "We're just going to have to go home and reflect on this and deal with it."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/athletics/super-sallys-silver/2008/08/20/1218911731900.html

You see, we don't deal well with people who talk smack early and the results go the opposite way - like Alain 'we'll smash ze American' Bernand.

So leave that foot in your month, Coates.

EDIT: Just now

John Coates said:
For the first time, chef de mission John Coates conceded yesterday Australia might not figure in the top five nations on gold medal rankings in Beijing, although he is hopeful a top-five placing in terms of overall medals is still realistic.

Great! So we're counting using medal counts, like the flawed American counting method! Eat your heart out GBR, since we're projecting a higher total medal count (Ha! Ha! Ha!)

avaya

Feel for Lolo Jones, that was a disgusting way to lose the gold that was surely hers.

Probably Liukin's final games too, a great performance from her.

Have the British been cocky? No.

We're pleased to have done so well and exceeded expectations. The Aussies are the ones trash talking, suck it down.

If you guys think we're cocky now, wait for four years time... fucking hell. The media are getting more pumped up by the day for London 2012, I can feel it. :lol :lol :lol

avaya

liquid_gears said:
Have the British been cocky? No.

We're pleased to have done so well and exceeded expectations. The Aussies are the ones trash talking, suck it down.

If you guys think we're cocky now, wait for four years time... fucking hell. The media are getting more pumped up by the day for London 2012, I can feel it. :lol :lol :lol

I would be surprised if we can do better in 2012. The American's epic failed in a lot of events and there was certainly a certain degree of homecooking in the judged events.

Our gold haul is really only due to the cycling domination.

I expect our US friends to come back all guns blazing and the Aussies to rebound strongly. Also the French have fallen flat on their face, they'll be back stronger.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
avaya said:
Feel for Lolo Jones, that was a disgusting way to lose the gold that was surely hers.
I'd be bothered by that if I won gold. Jones and Kallur out for silly trips. If you don't beat the best competition at their best, what does the medal really mean? I'd have an easier time with a 1/100th of a second difference than something like that. It's as difficult to swallow as the crazy tie-breaking rules in the gymnastics.

avaya said:
I would be surprised if we can do better in 2012. The American's epic failed in a lot of events and there was certainly a certain degree of homecooking in the judged events.

Our gold haul is really only due to the cycling domination.

I expect our US friends to come back all guns blazing and the Aussies to rebound strongly. Also the French have fallen flat on their face, they'll be back stronger.

Kind of what I posted a few pages back, we could have another good haul but I just fail to see how we would match this again (especially the gold count). I still think we'll do well again but the legacy of 2012 will take a few years to sink in and reap the rewards.

It has taken 6 years from the Manchester Commonwealth games in 02 (from when the velodrome was put to good use) for the cycling team to come through and really dominate. A lot of them are based around there now so if the same rules apply to the olympics then maybe 2016 could see the real benefits of 2012 shine through.

The French and the Americans have been really poor this time around though that's for sure.

Hootie

Can't wait to see Shawn Johnson finally get her first (and last) Phelpsium at the 08 games. She definitely deserves it.

*fap fap fap*

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
OpinionatedCyborg said:
Is anyone watching CBC right now? The meteorologist is giving an awesome science lesson. She's been great about integrating the weather into the Olympics so far...
Oh yeah, she has been hilarious throughout this entire Olympics.
"HEY GUYZ, IT'S HOTTER IN VANCOUVER THAN IN BEIJING RIGHT NOW, LOLOLOLZ" :lol :lol :lol

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Taekwondo starts in half an hour!! I can't wait to see some awesome knockout hook kicks to the head! Yeop Dollyo Chegu Cha Gi (I had to look that up, forgot a lot of my Korean terminology). Also, insanely fast roundhouse kicks with good technique, of course.

lunlunqq

Teddman said:
No.

Add to the U.S.? In your dreams!

I'm really sick of all these "home-cooking" bullshit. Yes, there are probably these 2 or 3 cases of controversial judgments in women's gymnastics. But your media just spin this to a level beyond ridiculous like everything we Chinese won with judges involved was because of "homecooking."

Take a look at the list of events that we counted as "judge error prone" in that stupid yahoo article. How many more Chinese wins you can name involve Controversy??? Men's gymnastics? We are on a level of our own! No one is even close. Diving? Haha, don't make me laugh!!! These two are the major ones that we won our golds anyways. And in these events, you Americans didn't come close.

Now stop whining and accept your defeat!!

Aside from women's gymnastics I don't really think China has had an upperhand. In the other judged events (there's only a few of them) everything seemed legit to me.

People whining, just accept the American team as a whole this year has under-performed except in the pool maybe. You'll get your very own biased judges in a few years when you are fighting to keep up with China in the medals table.

Ripclawe

Banned
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I have visions of Stuart Scott anchoring.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080819/tv_nm/espn_dc

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - Count ESPN in on the bidding for the 2014 and 2016 Olympics.

ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN chief George Bodenheimer said ESPN/ABC will be in on the bidding when the International Olympic Committee begins to entertain broadcast rights for the next round. NBC holds the rights to the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver and the 2012 Summer Games in London.

Some element of mystery surrounds the broadcast rights for the upcoming competitions, including the matter of how many of the Games will be awarded and when the bidding will start. It's likely that only the 2014 and 2016 Olympics will be up for grabs, and that the bidding period could happen between now and October 2009.

"If I was holding the auction, I would definitely want to hold it (soon) after this Olympics," ESPN executive vice president John Skipper said.

Likely to bid are NBC, flush with success from the Summer Games after a string of disappointing ratings, as well as Disney's ESPN/ABC and perhaps Fox and CBS.

Bodenheimer said that all media companies are taking note of the ratings successes but intimated that their offers would not be blank checks.

"It still has to make business sense," Bodenheimer said Tuesday.

lunlunqq said:
Add to the U.S.? In your dreams!

I'm really sick of all these "home-cooking" bullshit. Yes, there are probably these 2 or 3 cases of controversial judgments in women's gymnastics. But your media just spin this to a level beyond ridiculous like everything we Chinese won with judges involved was because of "homecooking."

Take a look at the list of events that we counted as "judge error prone" in that stupid yahoo article. How many more Chinese wins you can name involve Controversy??? Men's gymnastics? We are on a level of our own! No one is even close. Diving? Haha, don't make me laugh!!! These two are the major ones that we won our golds anyways. And in these events, you Americans didn't come close.

Now stop whining and accept your defeat!!

China is getting gold in events like competitive backgammon. Jamaica, you are not.

Drakken

SO I've been without TV and Internet since Thursday, and I've missed all Olympic events since then. :(

What are some notable events that happened? I plan on watching the videos of Phelps' golds online, but what else should I check out?

lunlunqq

vas_a_morir said:
China is getting gold in events like competitive backgammon. Jamaica, you are not.

Do all the trash talk you want. Nothing's gonna change the fact that we are kicking your collective ass in the Olympics. Eat your heart out!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom