• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmac

Jamesfrom818 said:
YES! Sacramone will get her gold! Nastia will get the gold that she was wrongly taken from her!

Wrongly? She just lost. If it was for a 14 or 60 years old, it doesnt change a thing, she still LOST.

DEO3

So night after night I sit here and watch the US Track and Field team fail at absolutely everything. How many events now have we failed to even qualify for? One of the announcers just said that this is the first time ever that the US didn't make it into the 4x100 finals, an event that's been around for 80 years. Just what the hell is going on over at the http://www.usatf.org/ this year?

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Man, too bad the Latvia men's beach volleyball team didn't make it to the final. They are so awesome to watch :lol

Hootie

DMczaf said:

14mwbpx.jpg

Tmac

DEO3 said:
So night after night I sit here and watch the US Track and Field team fail at absolutely everything. How many events now have we failed to even qualify for? One of the announcers just said that this is the first time ever that the US didn't make it into the 4x100 finals, an event that's been around for 80 years. Just what the hell is going on over at the http://www.usatf.org/ this year?

Maybe the Marion Jones case has something to do with it?

Meier

Chinese doctor in the GE commercial is so cute. Commercial works well -- reminds me of how good School's Out was... Nintendo should have run it here in the US as well. Shit, run it now -- NSMB is still a huge seller.

Meier

Warriner really bitched out and almost didn't even medal by shutting it down there. LOVED that dive to get the bronze -- awesome. :lol

lunlunqq

SolidSnakex said:
Wow, I actually thought someone was actually going to beat the Chinese divers.

Yeah. Although I've known the results, I was still a little bit worried at that time... :lol Such an impressive last round dive by a 15-year-old.

Meier

lunlunqq said:
Yeah. Although I've known the results, I was still a little bit worried at that time... :lol Such an impressive last round dive by a 15-year-old.
No kidding, that girl was amazing. Pretty cute too.

Piecake

So it seems that the only distance we are good at is the 400. Sweep in the hurdles and now this.

Meier said:
No kidding, that girl was amazing. Pretty cute too.

I can't believe she has been diving since she was four. Was she bred to be a diver or something? A bit creepy...

Karakand

SnowWolf said:
That's not reliable. Adults can retain baby teeth.
It's aberrant.

Besides, she's a child, what we're trying to determine is how much of one she actually is, and age identification by teeth in children is much more reliable than in adults.

There are other things they can examine like coloring, wear and pulp chambers as well.

aceface

BMX is hilarious. :lol

Edit: This is like watching live action Excitebike complete with slow running back to the bike after crashes.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Phoenix's Rage said:
I missed it. Can I get a gist of what was said?

The interviewer asked something about whether Wariner's changing of a coach had anything to do with his failing to win gold. I'm not familiar with Wariner, the question might have been about how the coach dumped him for another runner. Anyway, Wariner said No a couple times and then stormed off, with the interviewer staring sheepishly at the camera. :lol

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Looks like GAF has got their wish.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/beijing_olympics/story/0,,24222864-5014107,00.html

The IOC has asked gymnastics' governing body to find out whether some gold medal-winning Chinese gymnasts were underage.

"We've asked the gymnastics federation to look into it further," IOC spokeswoman Giselle Davies said, adding that more information had come to light.

"If there is a question mark and we have a concern, which we do, we ask the governing body of any sport to look into it."

It was not immediately clear what new information prompted the IOC to act now, three days after the gymnastics competition ended.

Messages for the International Gymnastics Federation (IGF) were not immediately returned.

A gymnast must be 16 in an Olympic year to compete at the Games.

Reports are suggesting He Kexin, Jiang Yuyuan and Jang Yilin may be as young as 14.

Allegations yesterday said that Chinese government databases on its top gymnasts, published last December, show that He and Yang were both still 14 at the time they competed.

Until very recently, this has been backed up by the state-controlled Chinese media.

Last November, China's official news agency named He as one of "10 big new stars" who made an impact at a big regional gymnastics meet. It said she was 13 at the time.

But she was 16 and ready to rip in Beijing when a passport materialised stating that she was born exactly two years earlier than her database record of January 1, 1994.

The IGF has said repeatedly that a passport is accepted proof of a gymnast's eligibility to compete, and that China's gymnasts have presented ones showing they are age eligible.

The Chinese women won six medals, including the team gold and a gold on uneven bars by He.

Asked about her age again after she beat American Nastia Liukin for the uneven bars title, He said: "I was born in 1992 and I'm 16 years old now. The FIG has proved that. If I'm under 16, I couldn't have been competing here."

And the United States, runner-up in the women's team event, is not pursuing the matter.

The issue is contentious because younger gymnasts have training advantages.

They have what is known in the sport as a higher strength-to-weight ratio, meaning they can move more freely on the various apparatus and spend many more hours training.

The age limit was introduced after Nadia Comanechi's astonishing performances in 1976, when, as a 14-year-old, she became the first gymnast to score a perfect 10 for a routine.

Blader

SnowWolf said:
The interviewer asked something about whether Wariner's changing of a coach had anything to do with his failing to win gold. I'm not familiar with Wariner, the question might have been about how the coach dumped him for another runner. Anyway, Wariner said No a couple times and then stormed off, with the interviewer staring sheepishly at the camera. :lol

Good! Bob Naumeier has been a fucking trash interviewer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom