• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

vas_a_morir said:
Disagree. If they get away with it this time, they'll do it again. Rules do not equal schmules. You cheat, you eat... uh... eat shit and die.

Nonono, I absolutely agree that the rules should be enforced. The problem is that I fear for the outcome.

mclem

AstroLad said:
The only way for China and the IOC to save face here is for them to blame the girl for lying to everyone.

You've gotta admire her resourcefulness, though, forging a passport at 14.

Formless

OpinionatedCyborg said:
You'd think the Chinese people would've learned by now that when the gov't says you're free to protest or have differing ideals, they really mean you're free to meekly protest and have mildly different ideas than the party. How many times has this happened now? Mao started it with the Hundred Flower Campaign -- hey guys, speak your mind! Oh wait, you had some nasty shit to say. Looks like you're dead! -- and the Chinese gov't continues to do shit like this.
stfu, the US continues to [insert bad stuff but not that bad stuff in here]
Also it's ok because it's China.

/end impersonation

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
AstroLad said:
There was actually a pretty good article about stripped medals on espn.com yesterday, basically detailing how they are very toned-down, secretive affairs. I'd venture to say that they blemish the the medals for everyone involved in most cases.

Yeah, you could see Walter Dix was pretty unenthusiastic when he learned he got the bronze yesterday..and that was just a disqualification situation. I remember him saying something like, "Well, I still lost."

ccbfan

Nothing is going to come out of this investigation. The Chinese government probably has already destroyed every piece of real evidence (important stuff like birth records, hospital records, school records, ect) and made them "prove" that He is of age.

Stuff like newspaper articles aren't going to be sufficient enough to overturn anything. I mean think about how many times newspaper articles in the U.S make mistakes? An article isn't going to be strong enough to prove anything cause if thats the case then the Green Bay Jets are a football team in the NFL.

Only way the truth will come out is if He, her family or her coaches and teammates come out and tell the truth. I highly doubt anyone of them would do that since He is going to be living the good life with her 2 olympic golds and confessing would do nothing but ruin her life. Plus in most of their minds, they probably believe the Chinese government did them a favor by allowing them to bypass an unfair rule. To these people its a choice of being a National hero with tons of endorsements and government support versus being disgraced, punished by the government and being branded a cheater for life. What do you think most people would choose?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Erico said:
Yeah, you could see Walter Dix was pretty unenthusiastic when he learned he got the bronze yesterday..and that was just a disqualification situation. I remember him saying something like, "Well, I still lost."

She fooled the world and disgraced her country. I blame exposure to American entertainment such as the Spy Kids series and James Bond Jr.

Jeff-DSA

He isn't the only gymnast this is undoubtedly too young for China. They sent two that are definitely only 14. Strip the medals, the country doesn't deserve them for cheating. And don't go saying that the kid is purely innocent, the gymnasts know that they're too young to be competing too.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
AstroLad said:
She fooled the world and disgraced her country. I blame exposure to American entertainment such as the Spy Kids series and James Bond Jr.

I blame Hannah Montana, who is also living a lie.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
BEIJING (Reuters) - Argentina's Manu Ginobili has all but written off his team's chances of beating the United States in the semi-finals of the men's Olympic basketball competition.

"We know they are by far the best team in the tournament," said the San Antonio Spurs guard. Ginobili scored 24 points to help the 2004 gold medalists beat Greece 80-78 on Wednesday to reach the last four.

"We know we have to play a perfect game and that's probably not going to be enough. They will have to play a bad game too."

Manu MAN UP

you can beat them!

Pretend Scola is Duncan and Delfino is Brent Barry

Ripclawe

Banned
Congrats to Hope Solo in winning a gold medal and fuck the rest of the US womens soccer team. After what they did to Hope last year, they should choke on those medals she helped them too.

Hypnotoad

LuCkymoON said:
and this is why Women's beach volleyball is the greatest sport to ever be played :'(

Xue Chen and Zhang Xi agree.

24pm3wh.jpg

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So stuff like 10,000m swimming gets prime-time coverage on the various Olympic channels, but this gets relegated to online only? Or am I missing something in the scheduling?

ba-olympics21_0499001440.jpg

Formless

XiaNaphryz said:
So stuff like 10,000m swimming gets prime-time coverage on the various Olympic channels, but this gets relegated to online only? Or am I missing something in the scheduling?

I find Olympic TKD unbearably dull. It's like boxing if after each punch you stop and go back to a corner.

Blader

Ceres said:
I know. I'm just saying that Nastia really wouldn't be "given" the medal and I think there's no reason for her to feel bad for winning it that way. Not in the same way that Dix won that Bronze after having 2 guys DQ for stepping on the line. She won the gold and got fucked over.

I agree. Granted, it wouldn't have the same impact as getting it in the awards ceremony as others have said, but Nastia really did earn that gold. She has been robbed on more than one occasion during these Olympics.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Formless said:
I find Olympic TKD unbearably dull. It's like boxing if after each punch you stop and go back to a corner.
More dull than watching 20 people swim for over 2 hours straight?

perfectchaos007 said:
God Tiki Barber is a pain to watch. He can't get any of the names right and I don't think he has actually been watching any of the olympics. He should have stayed in football. Commentating is not his thing.
Giants fans strongly disagree.

woodchuck said:
anyone watching espnnews?

"Who's the better athlete - Bolt or Phelps? Our panel will answer that coming up"

it's not just GAF!

No, but if I could, I'd try to get both of them in one ad. You know it's going to happen.

avaya said:
US track and field will reclaim their crown at the world championships in a year and then in London.

The US should normally win:

Women's 100m hurdles
Women's 200m
Men's 400m - untouchable
Women's 400m
Men's 400m hurdles - untouchable
Men's 4x400m - untouchable

I'd love to see Bolt start running the 400 metres again...

XiaNaphryz said:

Not pictured: 5 minutes of bouncing back and forth before throwing a few weak kicks, some of which will inexplicably score.

Oh shit, the IOC is actually going to look into He Kexin's real age.

The International Olympic Committee has ordered an investigation into mounting allegations that Chinese authorities covered up the true age of their gold-medal winning gymnastics star because she was too young to compete.

An IOC official told The Times that because of "discrepancies" that have come to light about the age of He Kexin, the host nation’s darling who won gold in both team and individual events, an official inquiry has been launched that could result in the gymnast being stripped of her medals.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article4583174.ece

Ripclawe

Banned
What idiot in track and field has come up with this let everyone lead then run hard near the end gambit? This is the third race where the American runner has tried this and failed. Matter of fact most of the runners have looked out of breath compared to the rest of the field.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
SnowWolf said:
Am I looking at the schedule right? The only event NBC is showing from 8-12 PM that is not tape-delayed is men's beach volleyball?
xm4zr9.gif
Kinda hard to have everything live when its in Beijing. Give NBC a break, geez.

gutshot

Anyone got a gif of Bolt doing his "wipe the forehead, point to the sky" routine. I don't know why, but I find that to be hilarious and think a gif of it could be put to good use.

Hootie

gutshot said:
Anyone got a gif of Bolt doing his "wipe the forehead, point to the sky" routine. I don't know why, but I find that to be hilarious and think a gif of it could be put to good use.

No, this is the only .gif you will ever need:

w6pizb.jpg

Wow this is a complete useless attempt by the US in relays. I could have done better in elementary school when we used to have relays around the playground in gym class.

The Chinese gymnasts aren't going to be forced to give up their gold medals. Documents can't prove anything. If the chinese government says shes 16, then theirs nothing anyone can do about that.

Unfortunately those girls aren't trees. If they were we could just cut their legs off and count the rings.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
perfectchaos007 said:
The Chinese gymnasts aren't going to be forced to give up their gold medals. Documents can't prove anything. If the chinese government says shes 16, then theirs nothing anyone can do about that.

Unfortunately those girls aren't trees. If they were we could just cut their legs off and count the rings.
Bone age analysis, maybe ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom