• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Frosted Flakes are the fucking shit, Phelps has taste.

Just heard about Softball.

How the hell did we fuck that up?

If they were a bunch of scrubs and did their best, nobody would say a word, but the fact is, people performed bellow their normal level, that's why we're a bit sad.

Our track team did exceptionally well last year at Osaka, too. I wonder what caused the collapse.

Chumly

Nolan. said:
Even if gay was running at his best there were other runners consistently decreasing their times during the rounds. He simply failed. You have to bring your best game when it matters, he didn't have a batton to drop on his own just run and he couldn't even do that enough.

Wow team rhythmic is kind of good :O .

Uh did you not understand what I was trying to say??????? seattle6418 basically said the same thing I was trying to say if I was to confusing for you.

The whole arguement is was around the fact that people might think that we didnt have the talent/depth for track and field this year. This is false. We do have the talent but everyone has been doing terrbile to what they should be doing. Go look at what these people have done in 2007 and 2008.

Blader

seattle6418 said:
<long list>

I think the biggest disappointment of all (at least for me) is Alan Webb, who didn't even make it out of the trials. How does the American mile record holder not qualify for the Olympics? =\

Jeff-DSA

ForzaItalia said:
I say the US 4x100 relay teams bailed out...

"Hey guys...let's drop this shit and avoid getting smoked and Bolted".

Sounds about right. I mean, after training your entire life to get to the Olympics you might as well decide to just sit it out, right?

ForzaItalia said:
I say the US 4x100 relay teams bailed out...

"Hey guys...let's drop this shit and avoid getting smoked and Bolted".

Agreed. It was a conspiracy to save themselves from an embarrassment. After the 100m and 200m race, I'm surprised anyone wants to get on the same track with Bolt. :lol

ezrarh

Blader5489 said:
I think the biggest disappointment of all (at least for me) is Alan Webb, who didn't even make it out of the trials. How does the American mile record holder not qualify for the Olympics? =\

By getting beat by people not originally from America duh.

ezrarh

Blader5489 said:
Webb has proven that he can beat Lagat though.

Plus, like I said...he has run a 3:46 mile.

Yea I realize. I was just joking. However, as proven by these games, our athletes can and do choke unfortunately.

Kikujiro

Blader5489 said:

Aren't your national trials too stressful?
I mean, in other nations the top athletes during the Olympic year only focus for the summer games, while all the american athletes must qualify through the trials, so they need to be in their best shape not once, but twice (for the trials and then for the Olympics). It could be risky, like Gay who injured himself during the trials.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
LTTP on this one, since I didn't watch last night, but I'm damn sure glad I recorded the re-run of this to watch today -

34928ts.jpg

God I love HD.

Monroeski said:
LTTP on this one, since I didn't watch last night, but I'm damn sure glad I recorded the re-run of this to watch today -

34928ts.jpg

God I love HD.

I wish they showed more of the cheerleaders on television. It's like they are purposely being kept away from the cameras.

avaya

US track and field will reclaim their crown at the world championships in a year and then in London.

The US should normally win:

Women's 100m hurdles
Women's 200m
Men's 400m - untouchable
Women's 400m
Men's 400m hurdles - untouchable
Men's 4x400m - untouchable

50-50 in Women's 100m and Women's 4x100m

Sprinting wise I think you guys realistically have a chance to lockdown in the women's 200m, Allyson is the better runner as she matures she will begin to show it.

Jamaica have a lock on the rest but the 100m women's could be a toss up depending on execution since there is no outstanding athlete there.

The US had shockingly poor track and field olympics. Look on the bright side, others would love to do as badly as you guys did. Seeing US athletes in track events come 1-2-3 is a beautiful sight to behold ever since the Power Salute of '68. I have to admit it I like to see you guys come through 1-2-3 just to see the podium.

Karakand

Laguna X said:
Applying a value system in which gold = 10 pts., silver = 5 pts., and bronze = 3 pts. Here's how I rank the top 10 countries up to 12am Friday morning Beijing time.

Rank.Country....Gold....Silver....Bronze......Total Points
1......China........46........15.........22..............601
2......USA..........29........34.........32..............556
3......Russia.......16........16.........19..............297
4......G.Britain....17........12.........11..............263
5......Australia....11........13.........14..............217
6......Germany...11.........8..........12..............186
7......S.Korea.....10........10..........6...............168
8......Japan.........9..........6...........9...............147
9......France........4.........12.........14..............142
10....Italy...........6..........7...........8...............119
Thanks for doing this. . . I don't usually comment because the US usually is eating Chicom dust BUT NO LONGER. WE GOT THIS ONE BOYS.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Meanwhile, Amanda [Beard] also denied she was dating Phelps, saying, "Eww, that's nasty... I have never, ever hooked up with Michael Phelps," Beard said via telephone from Beijing on the "Johnjay and Rich Show," which is broadcast on Kiss FM 104.7 in Phoenix.

"Come on, I have really good taste," Beard said. "He's really not my type."

ahahahah

Nolan.

Chumly said:
Uh did you not understand what I was trying to say??????? seattle6418 basically said the same thing I was trying to say if I was to confusing for you.

The whole arguement is was around the fact that people might think that we didnt have the talent/depth for track and field this year. This is false. We do have the talent but everyone has been doing terrbile to what they should be doing. Go look at what these people have done in 2007 and 2008.

Oh ok I see what you're saying. The Usa definately has the talent, they also seem to have a talent for clumbsyness too this year. From gymnastics to track and field, it's annoying to waatch in a way because of knowing what they can all do. I said something a while back I think about finding it odd just receiving a medal as an athlete knowing you didn't earn it. Lolo is the best hurdler and you can tell but unfortunately the results doesn't say so which is a shame.

Also as for them complaining about Bolt's showboating so what.? I don't particularly like it myself but it's how he expreses himself and it's different from what they're used to. He won it fair and square he can do what the heck he likes so long as he's not hurting anyone. I dislike the way everyone tries to mimic each other in terms of behaviour, demeanor etc. They should stop people waving their flags after they win too then. You know incase it offends other nations, because that can be disrespectful... rant has end :/ .

tenritsu

Banned
Bah... drops in relays, silver in water polo and softball... at least we got gold in soccer...

Well, at least we still got Phelps (to appreciate again) Basketball and... uh... what else again?

giga

tenritsu said:
Bah... drops in relays, silver in water polo and softball... at least we got gold in soccer...

Well, at least we still got Phelps (to appreciate again) Basketball and... uh... what else again?
volleyball.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
gymnastics was pretty great too imo. second-place finish in women's all-around but other than that us met or exceeded expectations. also i thought us was a pretty big underdog in water polo.

BIVIANO!

Got a question for gaf. I was discussing the olympics with some friends when someone mentioned how the chinese weight lighters look like men. So the question of what would happen if someone was to have a complete sex change arose. What gender would they compete under?

I’m not exactly sure what the IOC ruling would be, but I’d think that any advantage from male to female change would be eroded with estrogen replacement, resulting with possible loss in muscle mass or any competitve edge males have over females. Plus the female to male change would mean testosterone taking, so you would be charged with doping. I don’t think it’s possible.

avaya

Meier said:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article4583174.ece

IOC is officially ordering the FIG to look into her age. That second could turn into a first. :D Or would there just be no gold awarded?

It's obvious that the Chinese cheated. However I don't think Nastia would want to have the medal given to her like this. Not a nice way to win the medal after the fact.

Totally ignoring the fact that the Australian judge was a cretin.

mclem

Meier said:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article4583174.ece

IOC is officially ordering the FIG to look into her age. That second could turn into a first. :D Or would there just be no gold awarded?
I'm not sure how I feel about that, actually. The rules are supposedly to protect the "physical and mental health of the athletes", by ensuring that they're mature enough to cope with competition; understandable, and a laudable goal. However, now the damage has been done, wouldn't it cause further damage to He to have to forfeit the medal due to something she may not realise she was forced into? The people behind this cover-up - if it does indeed turn out that one exists - have ended up forcing a young girl into a phenomenally awkward situation and actually compounded the issue the rules were meant to circumvent.

...but then on the other hand, this would put Tweddle in line for a medal. And the rhyming appeal of that fact far outweighs the other issue.

mclem said:
I'm not sure how I feel about that, actually. The rules are supposedly to protect the "physical and mental health of the athletes", by ensuring that they're mature enough to cope with competition; understandable, and a laudable goal. However, now the damage has been done, wouldn't it cause further damage to He to have to forfeit the medal due to something she may not realise she was forced into? The people behind this cover-up - if it does indeed turn out that one exists - have ended up forcing a young girl into a phenomenally awkward situation and actually compounded the issue the rules were meant to circumvent.

...but then on the other hand, this would put Tweddle in line for a medal. And the rhyming appeal of that fact far outweighs the other issue.

Disagree. If they get away with it this time, they'll do it again. Rules do not equal schmules. You cheat, you eat... uh... eat shit and die.

Ceres

Banned
avaya said:
It's obvious that the Chinese cheated. However I don't think Nastia would want to have the medal given to her like this. Not a nice way to win the medal after the fact.

Totally ignoring the fact that the Australian judge was a cretin.

Well, technically He won the gold on a bullshit rule change and Nastia should have also gotten a gold medal. Gymnastics used to allow ties and other sports still do so I don't know why they didn't leave it that way if there's no way to do a realistic tie breaker beyond "remove the next lowest score"

And to add. Here's my main issue with this tie breaking system.

We get the same score. Have the same difficulty.

Now. The scores after tossing out the highest and lowest are divided up this way:
9.4 - 9.6
9.4 - 9.5
9.4 - 9.3
9.4 - 9.2

The person who has the lowest second score basically gets the automatic win which means the person with the most inconsistent execution scores is always going to win.

Ceres said:
Well, technically He won the gold on a bullshit rule change and Nastia should have also gotten a gold medal. Gymnastics used to allow ties and other sports still do so I don't know why they didn't leave it that way if there's no way to do a realistic tie breaker beyond "remove the next lowest score"

I'd make that kid personally deliver the medal to me. It was total bullshit, anyway. Some sketchy shit was going on in this competition. GIVE ME THEM GOLDS.

God Tiki Barber is a pain to watch. He can't get any of the names right and I don't think he has actually been watching any of the olympics. He should have stayed in football. Commentating is not his thing.

avaya

Ceres said:

Not talking about the tie-breaker. Rules are rules. I'm fine with that.

I'm talking about the Aussie judge who though He Kexin had a better execution score on the bars than Liukin, she deducted ~0.3 more from Liukin. Haven't seen a commentator or pundit agree with that at all. Even looking at the routine how you can come to that conclusion is mind boggling.

China broke a fundamental rule and even their own journalists know it but won't say on record. The three gymnasts on the uneven bars for China are the one's with extremely questionable ages. They aren't unheard of either, they are well known to Chinese journalists covering the sport. They know they are underage.

IOC is a joke.

NetMapel said:
You'd think the Chinese people would've learned by now that when the gov't says you're free to protest or have differing ideals, they really mean you're free to meekly protest and have mildly different ideas than the party. How many times has this happened now? Mao started it with the Hundred Flower Campaign -- hey guys, speak your mind! Oh wait, you had some nasty shit to say. Looks like you're dead! -- and the Chinese gov't continues to do shit like this.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
avaya said:

I'm talking about the Aussie judge who though He Kexin had a better execution score on the bars than Liukin, she deducted ~0.3 more from Liukin. Haven't seen a commentator or pundit agree with that at all. Even looking at the routine how you can come to that conclusion is mind boggling.

China broke a fundamental rule and even their own journalists know it but won't say on record. The three gymnasts on the uneven bars for China are the one's with extremely questionable ages. They aren't unheard of either, they are well known to Chinese journalists covering the sport. They know they are underage.

IOC is a joke.

The only way for China and the IOC to save face here is for them to blame the girl for lying to everyone.

Ceres

Banned
avaya said:

IOC is a joke.

I know. I'm just saying that Nastia really wouldn't be "given" the medal and I think there's no reason for her to feel bad for winning it that way. Not in the same way that Dix won that Bronze after having 2 guys DQ for stepping on the line. She won the gold and got fucked over.

avaya

AstroLad said:
The only way for China and the IOC to save face here is for them to blame the girl for lying to everyone.

or her parents.

It's disgusting what they've done to their gymnasts.

Ceres said:
I know. I'm just saying that Nastia really wouldn't be "given" the medal and I think there's no reason for her to feel bad for winning it that way. Not in the same way that Dix won that Bronze after having 2 guys DQ for stepping on the line. She won the gold and got fucked over.

I think a huge part of winning the medal is in the ceremony. She was denied that moment. It wouldn't feel the same. Not the same emotion. It wouldn't feel right no matter how right it actually is. I don't think she'd want it for that reason.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
avaya said:
I think a huge part of winning the medal is in the ceremony. She was denied that moment. It wouldn't feel the same. Not the same emotion. It wouldn't feel right no matter how right it actually is. I don't think she'd want it for that reason.

There was actually a pretty good article about stripped medals on espn.com yesterday, basically detailing how they are very toned-down, secretive affairs. I'd venture to say that they blemish the the medals for everyone involved in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom