• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.
seattle6418 said:
Just how big are the Olympics in the USA? I mean, is everybody going bananas and watching 24/7 on TV?
Honestly no. Not in comparison to other nations. It's the winter Olympics that get zero interest/ratings, though (outside of ice skating).

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Wollan said:
Anyone please? I want to see the opening ceremony.

Check your favorite torrent site. The NBC HD broadcast just got uploaded. I'm hoping a BBC or Canadian HD broadcast gets posted at some point since NBC cut out some stuff, but this'll have to do for now.

giga

Our bbal team will be in offense but I worry for our defense against these international teams which have perfected their jump shots.

Himuro said:
:lol

The basketball team is going to suck. AGAIN. They pick a bunch of stuck up, pussy ass b-ball stars who have no concept of the word team work and watch them look like a bunch of shit heads. AGAIN!

Change USA basketball's Dream Team name to the "ME ME ME ME Team".

I'm sorry, did you say something?

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
ryutaro's mama said:
I'm sorry, did you say something?

Don't be mad, come here for a hug!

t9efqt.jpg

SnowWolf said:
Don't be mad, come here for a hug!

No one is mad.

I'm just tired of people running their mouths about how this team is made up of a bunch of individuals that don't have any desire to play team-ball, blah,blah,blah..

Have you even followed this team?

Seen the FIBAS tournament from last summer?

The exhibition games from this year?

This isn't the 2004 team.

Not by a long shot.

Himuro said:

The basketball team is going to suck. AGAIN. They pick a bunch of stuck up, pussy ass b-ball stars who have no concept of the word team work and watch them look like a bunch of shit heads. AGAIN!

I hope you're wrong. They came in third in 2006?

Shadow780

Himuro said:
POST MORE HOT CHICKS

What'd he say?

It's easier after I download 1080i version of the show, too lazy to take screen shots off my TV.:lol

A few nations I can think of are Canada, Mexico, US softball team, and Austria.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
China, its wall and its mountains are so fucking gorgeous in HD.

woodchuck

seattle6418 said:
Just how big are the Olympics in the USA? I mean, is everybody going bananas and watching 24/7 on TV?

Because here (Brazil) its marketed the crap out of it, people really love it. And we only have a good program in a couple of sports.

I know football, golf, and baseball (kind of) are not on the summer games, but just how big is the event for you guys?

People talk about on the streets, things like that, or just another event on TV?

the olympics are big...but not THAT big.

but the 1996 olympics in Atlanta were HUGE. unfortunately, a lot of americans don't give a shit about something that's not happening in America.

and himuro. please. you don't know shit about basketball. if the US loses, it's not going to be about team chemistry or "me me me". the players on this team are very team oriented (yes, even kobe now...).

if they lose, it's going to be the inability to play defense yet again. which won't be a surprise with Coach K or D'Antoni leading the team. terrible choices for head coach.

Shadow780

woodchuck said:

but the 1996 olympics in Atlanta were HUGE. unfortunately, a lot of americans don't give a shit about something that's not happening in America.

and himuro. please. you don't know shit about basketball. if the US loses, it's not going to be about team chemistry or "me me me". the players on this team are very team oriented (yes, even kobe now...).

if they lose, it's going to be the inability to play defense yet again.

Lack of presence inside, getting raped on rebounds could be a problem.

Also most of them are superstars they don't usually do the dirty work/intangible stuffs that scrub players do.

woodchuck said:

if they lose, it's going to be the inability to play defense yet again. which won't be a surprise with Coach K or D'Antoni leading the team. terrible choices for head coach.

The 2002 Salt Lake City winter games were huge to. I live close to SLC so maybe I was exposed to it more but those were some huge games for the US I thought.

Dali

Himuro said:

I've been defending this year's squad a lot lately. Have you even seen them play at all? I watched them crush Canada (which may not be the most convincing argument for them, I know) and I've seen pieces of other preliminary games. They look pretty good.

On top of that they are being coached by the greatest college b-ball coach of all time and they aren't being greedy. At the end of games like five players have between 15 and 20 points. They also know the US is the best b-ball country in the world and feel embarrassed about what they let happen last Olympics. Some of the players may be arrogant, but comments like yours seem just well... uninformed. There is no "Me Me Me" mentality from what I've seen. They still show boat, but when you're up forty points, why not?

giga

Shadow780 said:

Also most of them are superstars they don't usually do the dirty work/intangible stuffs that scrub players do.
Dwight Howard was the rebound leader last season..

woodchuck

Shadow780 said:

inside presence shouldn't be a problem. have you seen other country's top big men? :lol yeah...gaslol, obertolol, etc

yao is the only really good big guy the US will face. international basketball is more about guard play.

Shadow780

giga said:
Dwight Howard was the rebound leader last season..

Who constantly got gangbanged by 3 players for defensive rebounds in the last exhibition game against Bogut-less Australia because US team loves fast break like *insert random ethnic joke here*

reilo

woodchuck said:

They got Mac-10, but I doubt he has a huge voice when it comes to defense on that team. Someone like him would be a perfect fit for Olympics head coach.

Dali said:
I've been defending this year's squad a lot lately. Have you even seen them play at all? I watched them crush Canada (which may not be the most convincing argument for them, I know) and I've seen pieces of other preliminary games. They look pretty good.

On top of that they are being coached by the greatest college b-ball coach of all time and they aren't being greedy. At the end of games like five players have between 15 and 20 points. They also know the US is the best b-ball country in the world and feel embarrassed about what they let happen last Olympics. Some of the players may be arrogant, but comments like yours seem just well... uninformed. There is no "Me Me Me" mentality from what I've seen. They still show boat, but when you're up forty points, why not?

Mac-10 > Coach K.

Coaching college kids is wholly different than coaching NBA pros.

giga

Shadow780 said:
Who constantly got gangbanged by 3 players for defensive rebounds in the last exhibition game against Bogut-less Australia because US team loves fast break like *insert random ethnic joke here*
Our team was way off in the Australia game I'll tell you that. But Bogut is a little boy compared to Dwight.

Shadow780

woodchuck said:
inside presence shouldn't be a problem. have you seen other country's top big men? :lol yeah...gaslol, obertolol, etc

yao is the only really good big guy the US will face. international basketball is more about guard play.

Yeah but when you can park your center under the hoop until he reaches the age of Parkinson's, inside presence is pretty important.

Also watch out for Greece's constant pick and roll spam, which annoyed the shit out of US last time.

aznpxdd

Himuro said:
I'll admit, I haven't seen them play. I'm still skeptical thouhg.

Oh. Kindly STFU then.

So are we gonna talk about the basketball games in here or the NBA thread?

Shadow780 said:
Yeah but when you can park your center under the hoop until he reaches the age of Parkinson's, inside presence is pretty important.

Also watch out for Greece's constant pick and roll spam, which annoyed the shit out of US last time.

That's an understatement. Baby Shaq's pick n' roll destroyed US in 06.

woodchuck

Shadow780 said:

yeah. that's why i mentioned defense.

Shadow780

aznpxdd said:
Oh. Kindly STFU then.

So are we gonna talk about the basketball games in here or the NBA thread?

Well there's no dream team thread is there?

I think this belong to the Olympics section.

Dali

reilo said:
They got Mac-10, but I doubt he has a huge voice when it comes to defense on that team. Someone like him would be a perfect fit for Olympics head coach.

Mac-10 > Coach K.

Coaching college kids is wholly different than coaching NBA pros.
I'm sure it is but Coach K has the embarrassment of a loss to hang over their heads. They might be a little more open to direction and instruction than a team that has never been beat.

reilo

Dali said:
I'm sure it is but Coach K has the embarrassment of a loss to hang over their heads. They might be a little more open to direction and instruction than a team that has never been beat.

I don't think Coach K and D'Antoni are capable of managing all of the egos on that team. It will be Kobe, Lebron, and Wade that keep everyone in check. That all depends on if they can keep themselves in check though.

The US team should blow out everyone out of the water, but the Spanish team has 7 NBA players [current or future] on their team, and the experience and the medals to back it all up with.

woodchuck said:
except we won game 7. huge difference

At least Portland has a championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom