• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Seattle trashing Bedard. "He just doesn't like baseball."

I'm thrilled to have him now!

You know who else doesn't like baseball? The entire Seattle Mariners roster. They certainly play as if that was the case.

If Bedard doesn't like baseball then he certainly doesn't show it while on the mound. The numbers don't lie (lower xFIP than Beckett in both of the past 2 seasons), he's a solid starter when he's pitching. It's obviously a question of whether or not he can get on the mound in the first place.

Red Sox fans SHOULD be thrilled to have him. He will need all the support he can get because by all accounts he has some mental/social issues that would prevent him from thriving in Boston.

clemenx

Banned
newjeruse said:
Any gifs of Guillen's pimp job yet?
WeaverEjection.gif.opt_medium.gif

Sanjuro

To be fair, Bedard has never played for a team capable of making the playoffs in his entire career. I have watched him pitch for years and while he has had flaws/injuries, his stuff can be devastating at times.

Red Sox fans don't hate him. Our vibe right now is "?"...we really don't know what to expect. We have people from Seattle calling and bashing him and comparing him to JD Drew on a mound with the attitude of Lackey.

eznark

Banned
clemenx said:

So, so, so much worse than the Prince Fielder home run celebration. That was done in fun, for the home fans at the end of a season. This was clearly done to taunt the opposing pitcher, belittle him and just in general be an ass

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
To be fair, Bedard has never played for a team capable of making the playoffs in his entire career. I have watched him pitch for years and while he has had flaws/injuries, his stuff can be devastating at times.

Red Sox fans don't hate him. Our vibe right now is "?"...we really don't know what to expect. We have people from Seattle calling and bashing him and comparing him to JD Drew on a mound with the attitude of Lackey.

Seattle fans hate him because their GM traded the house to get him praying to the baseball gods that he would stay healthy and deliver 30 Eric Bedard quality starts a year.

It didn't happen. If he was actually the franchise savior that Bavasi paid for then all the crap surrounding him would be irrelevant.

Honestly there are a bunch of questions with Bedard but almost none of them actually pertain to his ability to get batters out, which is really the only thing that matters.

They'll have to manage his personality, his interactions with the media, and most importantly manage his innings but in the end its still a low risk high reward move. The Red Sox really do need this move to work out though with Buchholz out for the season. Because it's a disaster right now after Beckett / Lester. There's absolutely no way he's not a significant upgrade over Lackey / Wakefield / Miller though (assuming he stays healthy which is the biggest assumption), so you can take solace in that.

Sanjuro

I don't think he is a risk at all. He is just another one of the boys. Bedard / Miller/ Millwood / Weiland.

I was still hoping to get another bench player, but I'm definitely glad to have him.

eznark said:
So, so, so much worse than the Prince Fielder home run celebration. That was done in fun, for the home fans at the end of a season. This was clearly done to taunt the opposing pitcher, belittle him and just in general be an ass
Jered Weaver should never play/watch basketball then.

When someone dunks on his ass would he throw a basketball at his head?

eznark

Banned
The Frankman said:

No one should ever play or watch professional basketball.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Frankman said:

This is so stupid.

They're two completely different sports and what's considered acceptable in one is total bush league in another.

What Guillen did merits a nice fastball in the ribs. I'm not a proponent of headhunting at any time though.

darkside31337 said:
This is so stupid.

They're two completely different sports and what's considered acceptable in one is total bush league in another.

What Guillen did merits a nice fastball in the ribs. I'm not a proponent of headhunting at any time though.
Why? When did having fun become so "AWWWW AGAINST TRADITION"? You know what Weaver could've done that would've been 10x better? Win the game and not throw a meatball pitch. Beat the guy. Lets' see him hop all around when his team got its ass handed him. Lets' see a bat flip when dude is wearing a golden sombrero. Does a potential 10-game ban/injury/fine really do the job?

BTW, fucking tradition is why we have no Mark Cuban in baseball and YoTU.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Frankman said:
Why? When did having fun become so "AWWWW AGAINST TRADITION"? You know what Weaver could've done that would've been 10x better? Win the game and not throw a meatball pitch. Beat the guy. Lets' see him hop all around when his team got its ass handed him. Lets' see a bat flip when dude is wearing a golden sombrero.

Does a potential 10-game ban/injury/fine really do the job?

There should NEVER be a day where baseball becomes as ridiculous as Lebron James celebrating beating the Celtics or stupid TD celebrations that happen on a weekly basis. Thankfully baseball players and baseball culture agrees with that.

The Frankman said:
Why? When did having fun become so "AWWWW AGAINST TRADITION"? You know what Weaver could've done that would've been 10x better? Win the game and not throw a meatball pitch. Beat the guy. Lets' see him hop all around when his team got its ass handed him. Lets' see a bat flip when dude is wearing a golden sombrero. Does a potential 10-game ban/injury/fine really do the job?

BTW, fucking tradition is why we have no Mark Cuban in baseball and YoTU.

Rule 1 in the old baseball rulebook: Players must behave as gentlemen. If you break that rule, well, you get what you get.

darkside31337 said:
There should NEVER be a day where baseball becomes as ridiculous as Lebron James celebrating beating the Celtics or stupid TD celebrations that happen on a weekly basis. Thankfully baseball players and baseball culture agrees with that.
because this = LeBron James celebration. Yep... good thing baseball culture is strong enough to fight off replay and an infusion of fun owners too.
vas_a_morir said:
Rule 1 in the old baseball rulebook: Players must behave as gentlemen. If you break that rule, well, you get what you get.
Gentlemen like Cobb and RAGAH CLEMINS. K.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Frankman said:
because this = LeBron James celebration. Yep... good thing baseball culture is strong enough to fight off replay and an infusion of fun owners too.

I'd put Guillen's celebration up there with Lebrons. At least Lebrons came after a playoff series victory, Guillen's was just as ridiculous only he did it in a regular season game between two non-rivals.

And you can modernize the game without destroying the tradition and culture of it. Adding replay and new owners who aren't already dead are completely separate from not acting like a total douche while being on the field.

Dammit, I want more exciting brand of baseball rife with strategy (bye DH) and fun. Things that'll bring fans back to the game... I mean that's "acceptable" doesn't always make sense. Why is it acceptable for a pitcher to show up batters but the reverse is frowned upon? I want hitters to slide into 2nd after a big late inning RBI double and

alex-wright-dancing-o.gif

And fuck, it's 2011. WHERE'S MY GAME WINNING BATUSSI?

batusi.gif

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Frankman said:
Dammit, I want more exciting brand of baseball rife with strategy (bye DH) and fun. Things that'll bring fans back to the game... I mean that's "acceptable" doesn't always make sense. Why is it acceptable for a pitcher to show up batters but the reverse is frowned upon?

One of the strongest arguments why the DH sucks.

NL starters could never get away with that crap because they can actually take some retaliation. It's only AL starters and closers who can get away with that kind of crap because its their teammate that's going to receive the beaning and not the guy who instigated the crap in the first place.

darkside31337 said:
One of the strongest arguments why the DH sucks.

NL starters could never get away with that crap because they can actually take some retaliation. It's only AL starters and closers who can get away with that kind of crap because its their teammate that's going to receive the beaning and not the guy who instigated the crap in the first place.
AL Starters - RAGA
AL Relievers - The Eck in his prime

I mean classic Eck was the blueprint for Kenny Powers. GEEZUS the things he would do. But there NL closers who have been guilty of some interesting stuff as well.

Oh, so the reason Drew Pomeranz hasn't been announced as part of the trade is because teams need to wait a year after signing a draft pick to trade him. This happened after Pete Incaviglia of the Expos did not want to sign with them and was traded to Texas.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Dmncnby2k9 said:
Oh, so the reason Drew Pomeranz hasn't been announced as part of the trade is because teams need to wait a year after signing a draft pick to trade him. This happened after Pete Incaviglia of the Expos did not want to sign with them and was traded to Texas.

Yeah. Not sure what the Rockies plan on doing for the next 3 weeks or so till he eligible. There's precedent set for him to continue pitching for Cleveland's farm system if they wanted him to keep throwing.

eznark

Banned
darkside31337 said:
Yeah. Not sure what the Rockies plan on doing for the next 3 weeks or so till he eligible. There's precedent set for him to continue pitching for Cleveland's farm system if they wanted him to keep throwing.

He should just be treated as a PTBNL, no big deal, it's not terribly uncommon.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So they're just going to let him keep throwing for 2 weeks?

I figured they'd treat him differently than the average PTBNL since he's not exactly the average PTBNL in the first place.

eznark

Banned
Dmncnby2k9 said:
Yeah, that's the plan.

Of course, I think PTBNL's are just gentlemen's agreements essentially, so maybe Cleveland will call him up and make him ineligible to be traded. Shapiro could then fly to Colorado and do the macarena in O'Dowd's face.

darkside31337 said:
So they're just going to let him keep throwing for 2 weeks?

I figured they'd treat him differently than the average PTBNL since he's not exactly the average PTBNL in the first place.
I'm thinking he might be sidelined until then.

eznark said:
Of course, I think PTBNL's are just gentlemen's agreements essentially, so maybe Cleveland will call him up and make him ineligible to be traded. Shapiro could then fly to Colorado and do the macarena in O'Dowd's face.
That's bush league!!

eznark said:
Just wait til Melvin calls up everyone on the Mets PTBNL list in September. Gentlemen's agreements are for suckers! Enjoy Mike Rivera.
lol shit, did we even get that player that supposedly pitched in the majors this year?

eznark

Banned
Haven't selected anyone yet as far as I know. Last week Melvin said there is a 9/1 deadline though (I assume so that he can actually call up some of those guys should it be necessary).

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Wasn't there some middle infielder the Brewers didn't call up post Weeks injury that had people speculating he was one of the guys on the list?

eznark

Banned
darkside31337 said:
Wasn't there some middle infielder the Brewers didn't call up post Weeks injury that had people speculating he was one of the guys on the list?

Taylor Green. The thing is, if he is on the list there is no reason for the Mets to wait on picking him up. He hasn't played second since A ball three years ago which is the more likely reason he wasn't called up.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
ha, just realized that Ken Rosenthal originally reported that the astros were receiving 4 minor leaguers from the braves for bourn. Jordan Schafer = Minor Leaguer. lol.

bluemax

Banned
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Seattle trashing Bedard. "He just doesn't like baseball."

I'm thrilled to have him now!

Bedard got a lot of unwarranted hate from some of the dumber Seattle fans. He was a good pitcher when healthy and he pitched through pain more than some people know.

Malo

Banned
So Montero is supposed to be called very soon with Banuelos possibly coming up a bit later. I knew this would happen if the yankees didn't make any trades.

Macattk15

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

So you're talking about random mouth breathing fans calling from Seattle that probably don't know shit about the Mariners other than Bedard was hurt all the time with legitimate injuries .... including trying to pitch through the shoulder injury for a while??

Fuck them. Bedard likes baseball. Bedard tries even while his shoulder is falling off to labor through the season.

I like Bedard. Is he often injured? Yeah he is. Is he one of the best LH'ers in the AL when healthy? Yeah I think so. He can't control his body breaking down ... its not his fault.

The guy was cool in Seattle. He wanted to play again for Seattle this season (other teams offered him more money) because he most likely felt bad for how much playing time he missed after Seattle traded so much away for him.

Comparing him to Lackey???? Hahaha. Lackey is a dickhead asshole who will yell at his own players behind him. Bedard is not Lackey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom