• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJ11

jakncoke said:
Try a perspective of never seeing a playoff team and a management that was much worse and how we're usually 20-30 out by now. Then being out by a hand full and even an above average bat would be upgrade. Then you'd understand.

I know all about that perspective, trust me, but why throw away guys who may help you down the road for a slight chance of doing something this Sept/Oct.

Like doytch said, you added something without giving up much, it's all you could ask for this year.

Doytch

harSon said:
Prospects aren't going to mean shit if we don't pony up the cash to keep our current crop of talent. We're still on the very bottom of the league in terms of payroll, and unless our mentality has recently changed, ownership still values profitability over winning.
Why does not making god-knows-whatever trade at the deadline mean they won't resign the good players they do have?

harSon

Banned
Doytch said:
Why does not making god-knows-whatever trade at the deadline mean they won't resign the good players they do have?

There's no correlation between those two points, just a lack of confidence on my part considering the teams recent history.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
DevelopmentArrested said:
Seattle commentators are talking about how great it is for Mike Carp to be batting cleanup. good lord

Hellickson with a no-hitter through 4.

I don't think it's too early to get excited for it since it's the Mariners.

Macattk15

darkside31337 said:
Hellickson no-no through 5.

Maybe the Mariners should drop a bunt.

That'd be perfect. I'd make Figgins do it.

A no-no would be a fitting way to end the M's worst month in franchise history though.

eznark

Banned
LJ11 said:
Go for what, a first round loss?

Is that a bad thing? Have you looked at their attendance numbers? Making the playoffs after so many losing seasons is fucking massive and reinvigorates the town. Pittsburgh used to be one hell of a baseball town. They have a gorgeous stadium. The only thing stopping people from going to games is the product on the field.

They make the playoffs this season and they get 2-3 years of significant attendance bumps. That's gigantic and worth trading away prospects.

McNei1y

Glad we pulled that one out. Still bummed we couldn't even snag a trade from the Rays for Upton. Now we have to rely on crappy Bixler/Bernadina/Ankiel for the rest of the year.

Macattk15

rando14 said:
AHAHAHA who is this Cortes clown

We got him for Yuni ... what do you expect? I mean really.

newjeruse said:
I completely devastated about losing Chiang. I feel like not following baseball for a week or something.

I watched some videos of him in the minors a bit ago. Next Shin-soo Choo!

what the hell @ Big Hurt's son

i50lc2.png

harSon

Banned
eznark said:
Is that a bad thing? Have you looked at their attendance numbers? Making the playoffs after so many losing seasons is fucking massive and reinvigorates the town. Pittsburgh used to be one hell of a baseball town. They have a gorgeous stadium. The only thing stopping people from going to games is the product on the field.

They make the playoffs this season and they get 2-3 years of significant attendance bumps. That's gigantic and worth trading away prospects.

I wish the team would have been sold to Cuban, the bump in allowance would have been nice :(

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Enron said:
Really liking the Rangers' moves. Uehara and Adams, and the only prospect loss was Erlin.

I loved the moves too but Joe Wieland is definitely a legit prospect, Tommy Hunter is a decent SP, and Buck Showalter will turn Chris Davis' career around.

Just kidding on the last part.

Erlin is such a good pickup for the Padres. Guy's game is basically built for Petco

Enron

Banned
Joe Wieland is a prospect, but really he's probably a #3 starter absolute best-case scenario. More likely a back of rotation guy. Don't feel bad about losing him at all. Hunter had no place in the rotation unless someone got hurt, or if one of Ogando/Harrison/Holland had to be put in the pen to bolster it (which is no longer a concern) so losing him doesn't sting as much either.

Angels made 0 moves. Liking that as well.

rc213

Lol at Colletti trading Robinson for some shitty catching prospect.

Should've kept him to throw in left or right along with Kemp and Gwynn. Ethier has already opened his mouth about not wanting to be here anyways. Maybe they have more faith in Sands taking an outfield spot next year.

Should've been trying to trade Ethier and Loney.

rc213 said:

Should've kept him to throw in left or right along with Kemp and Gwynn. Ethier has already opened his mouth about not wanting to be here anyways. Maybe they have more faith in Sands taking an outfield spot next year.

Loney's value is horridous. Rivera and Brox got better value than him..LOL

eznark

Banned
Couple things from the Verlander post-game interview:

1. He said (twice) that you can make legitimate arguments either way, but that as a pitcher, he would call it bush league (more like, as the guy who it happened against).

2. He was screaming and threatening Aybar not because of the bunt, but because he felt Aybar went out of his way to throw an elbow at him on the play at home.

3. That idiotic gesturing essentially guarantees a 6 game suspension should Verlander hit anyone remotely intentionally the next time they play.

After watching the highlights I went back and watched the second half of that game. Verlander is magnificent to watch pitch. Flat out.

rc213 said:

lol good one

eznark said:
To be fair, he pretty much acknowledged it. He was pretty light-hearted about the whole thing (just as I predicted!)
I wonder if he lost the game would he have been so lighthearted. He was so amped after it I thought for sure he'd give up a bomb.

whalekock

eznark said:
3. That idiotic gesturing essentially guarantees a 6 game suspension should Verlander hit anyone remotely intentionally the next time they play.
The Angels and Tigers are done for the regular season. The only way they would meet is in the ALCS and with the Angels not making any moves I highly doubt it. The Angels only hope is to go on some crazy hot streak ala 2002 or for the Texas heat to cool down the Rangers.

rc213

I still think Loney has a chance at being a good everyday 1st baseman. Not sure what happened between last year and this year.

He just gets hung up on the fact that he has no power. Doesn't help that the team blows aside from a few bright spots so his struggles are magnified here.

eznark

Banned
whalekock said:
The Angels and Tigers are done for the regular season. The only way they would meet is in the ALCS and with the Angels not making any moves I highly doubt it. The Angels only hope is to go on some crazy hot streak ala 2002 or for the Texas heat to cool down the Rangers.

I think an obvious threat like that will extend into next year.

rc213 said:
I still think Loney has a chance at being a good everyday 1st baseman. Not sure what happened between last year and this year.

He just gets hung up on the fact that he has no power. Doesn't help that the team blows aside from a few bright spots so his struggles are magnified here.

We cant even say hes a doubles machine cause he isnt....Yet..

eznark said:
Couple things from the Verlander post-game interview:

1. He said (twice) that you can make legitimate arguments either way, but that as a pitcher, he would call it bush league (more like, as the guy who it happened against).
Nah, I think he's being truthful here when he says "as a pitcher."

whalekock said:

Highly dount it Angels would make a move if so it would a 4th pitcher. Chatwood is getting killed out there now

eznark

Banned
CajoleJuice said:
Nah, I think he's being truthful here when he says "as a pitcher."

I don't understand your point? Did you read that as though I thought he was being disingenuous?

I think he thinks it was sort of shitty but gets that it was 50/50 and what he was really pissed about was the forearm shiver from "that little guy."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom