• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
This story is awesome because of this quote:

Casey McGehee’s lucky charm is 7-year-old Clayton Wollner of Sussex, Wis., whose shyness led to a bold request from his mom, which led to one of the best days of McGehee’s baseball life.

McGehee told Clayton’s story after belting three home runs in the Brewers’ series-clinching, 10-5 win over the Cardinals on Wednesday at Miller Park. He’d met Clayton — McGehee didn’t know the boy’s last name — on the field before the game, and was trying to draw out some conversation. Clayton was shy, so his mom, Jennifer, and dad, Ben, tried to drive some conversation. Mom blurted out that McGehee should hit a homer for Clayton.

“Honestly, I feel a little bad about it now,” Jennifer Wollner said Thursday morning. “I didn’t know he hadn’t really been hitting this season.”

I feel bad for asking the guy who sucks shit to hit home runs but waddya know? asshole actually did it!

Wellington said:
I hate that the argument for him is that he was good in the 2009 post season, He got bombed in like 2 of the 5 games he started.
Yea, there's no argument for him now, he just sucks. He has crazy stuff, but doesn't take advantage of it.

I'm a couple days late on this, but god I love this logo.

all_star_game_logo.jpg

Not that I've seen, so far, just a version that says MLB instead of Royals:

54Swkgss.jpg

And actually, I think I like the MLB version better now that I look at it... the Royals script is kind of shoehorned in by comparison, and Royals branding is implied so strongly already that the team logo isn't really necessarily.

Duane Cunningham said:
Not that I've seen, so far, just a version that says MLB instead of Royals:

54Swkgss.jpg

And actually, I think I like the MLB version better now that I look at it... the Royals script is kind of shoehorned in by comparison, and Royals branding is implied so strongly already that the team logo isn't really necessarily.

For some reason it makes me thing Renaissance Fair (yes I know Royals), but I fell like it should also talk about jousting events and people selling Mead.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Great, now Kyle Gibson is going to have his elbow examined in Minnesota. I'm fully expecting him to get Tommy John surgery. Frown. This year just keeps getting better and better.

clemenx

Banned
This may be interesting for reference, but the most important Venezuelan Winter League team was sold for $40MM. According to Forbes the least valuable MLB team is the pirates at $304MM. I was surprised at the 40M figure, though. It's probably close to the Coyotes or Islanders! :lol

Somewhat related, but it's crazy how many actual minor leagues there are. I originally thought it was just AA and AAA, but looking at wikipedia, it seems more a kind to regional wrestling in the 1970s and 1980s. I just never had any idea how huge the minor league/farm system was.

Wikipedia said:
Triple-A: International League · Pacific Coast League
Independent Triple-A: Mexican League
Double-A: Eastern League · Southern League · Texas League
Class A Advanced: California League · Carolina League · Florida State League
Class A: Midwest League · South Atlantic League
Class A Short-Season: New York – Penn League · Northwest League
Rookie: Appalachian League · Arizona League · Dominican Summer League · Gulf Coast League · Pioneer League · Venezuelan Summer League

eznark

Banned
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Somewhat related, but just how many actual minor leagues are there? I originally thought it was AA and AAA, but looking at wikipedia, it seems more a kind to regional wrestling in the 1970s and 1980s. I just never had any idea how huge the minor league/farm system was.

Lots. There are also independent leagues (like Cape Cod) sprinkled throughout the country.

Generally speaking the sort of "recognized" and affiliated leagues: Rookie, A, Advanced A, AA, AAA

There are also winter and fall leagues where teams can send a set number of players.

Sanjuro

eznark said:
Falmouth Commodores for life!
I've been meaning to make the trip around and check out some of the other ballparks, Cape traffic on the weekends curbs most of my enthusiasm.

Cape league players are generally more polished than some of the other independent leagues I have seen. I went to a Newport, RI ballpark last year before a night out. Felt like I was watching elementary school baseball. There is also another league on the south coast but haven't really followed them either.

eznark

Banned
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I've been meaning to make the trip around and check out some of the other ballparks, Cape traffic on the weekends curbs most of my enthusiasm.

Cape league players are generally more polished than some of the other independent leagues I have seen. I went to a Newport, RI ballpark last year before a night out. Felt like I was watching elementary school baseball. There is also another league on the south coast but haven't really followed them either.

I went to five or six different parks, it was always a fun trip....except for the time I got Lyme Disease. That wasn't fun.

Also, the cops were kind of assholes. Why can't I wheel a cooler full of beer and whiskey into a park? I mean, what the hell? Dumb puritans.

Generally good baseball though. Ben Sheets is basically a God amongst the old-timers. Talking about the players that have come through there was neat as hell.

Sanjuro

eznark said:
I went to five or six different parks, it was always a fun trip....except for the time I got Lyme Disease. That wasn't fun.

Also, the cops were kind of assholes. Why can't I wheel a cooler full of beer and whiskey into a park? I mean, what the hell? Dumb puritans.
Usually if you pour it into a red plastic cup you are fine. Same rules applied even at some of the big concert events. Overall it still makes no sense.

Gatemen need to update their site though. Current Gatemen in Major League Baseball: Barry Zito, Lance Berkman...Mo Vaughn!

eznark said:
Lots. There are also independent leagues (like Cape Cod) sprinkled throughout the country.

Generally speaking the sort of "recognized" and affiliated leagues: Rookie, A, Advanced A, AA, AAA

There are also winter and fall leagues where teams can send a set number of players.

Thanks! I'm just so amazed just how many there are, it's dwarfs even the various soccer leagues in many countries. Do they all tend to play during the MLB season. I've noticed there seem to also be off season leagues, but I'm not sure how many of those there are.

Still cool to know.

Sanjuro

Thanks! I'm just so amazed just how many there are, it's dwarfs even the various soccer leagues in many countries. Do they all tend to play during the MLB season. I've noticed there seem to also be off season leagues, but I'm not sure how many of those there are.

Still cool to know.
Really depends on the area. This area is a huge baseball and hockey town, so you will see scattered leagues. Normally you will still find various leagues in the states. Let's use Texas as an example. You will find twenty college-level football stadiums for junior high/high school before one relevant ballpark.

eznark

Banned

Still cool to know.

Most minor leagues teams wrap up at the end of August or so. Some leagues are just in the summer, some just in the winter, etc. Totally depends.

If you have any interest go to some of these games. They're always super cheap and generally a ton of fun

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Really depends on the area. This area is a huge baseball and hockey town, so you will see scattered leagues. Normally you will still find various leagues in the states. Let's use Texas as an example. You will find twenty college-level football stadiums for junior high/high school before one relevant ballpark.

True, I live in the PA area now, so I'd say it's somewhat more baseball centric, at least compared to Texas.

eznark said:
Most minor leagues teams wrap up at the end of August or so. Some leagues are just in the summer, some just in the winter, etc. Totally depends.

If you have any interest go to some of these games. They're always super cheap and generally a ton of fun

I might have to check out some of the Phillies farm teams as they tend to be decently close to area at some point. I remember going to the Reading Phillies one time when I was younger. Pretty fun, I enjoyed how intimate the stadium was, but didn't feel too low rent.

turnbuckle

Tigers with the largest lead they've had all season. Brad Penny on the mound facing the Rangers should turn the tide against us again.

turnbuckle

clemenx said:
Lol, why is V-Mart catching Penny again?

Penny's just being set up to get booed and booted off the team so we can justify calling up Jacob Turner for the rest of the season and/or pitch Verlander on 3 days rest as we cruise into the playoffs. I hope.

bluemax

Banned

Still cool to know.

In general the higher levels of play start a week or two later than the majors and end a few weeks earlier (AAA/AA). When you get down to A ball I think there's like full season A and short season A, as well as Rookie league (which is also a shortened season).

After that you have things like the Arizona Fall League and other instructional leagues which are mostly for guys who were just drafted etc to help them transition to pro ball. The international fall/winter leagues are slightly more competitive but still used primarily for people to work things out.

Minor league baseball games are a lot of fun, they tend to be way more casual and interactive than Major League games. If you have a minor league team nearby I'd highly suggest going, regardless of their affiliation.

darkside31337 said:
If the Angels don't make the playoffs this year it won't be because of their 4th starter but rather the guy who is hitting 4th in that lineup.

Quite frankly any team that is trotting out Vernon Wells to bat cleanup doesn't really deserve to make the playoffs.

They spent 20 million on Wells this season, will spend 25 million per year in 2012, 2013 and 2014 on him. They're paying Gary Matthews Jr and Scott Kazmir a combined 23 million dollars this year. They're playing Jeff Mathis everyday after scuttling Mike Napoli out of town. Torii Hunter is making 18.5 million dollars this year and will do the same next.

That is pretty much the definition of wasted opportunity. If they get into the playoffs they can do a ton of damage but that lineup is doing everything in its power to keep them from making it.

That was one of their biggest f up signing. Was kinda shocked Kazmir ended up horrible. Paying alot of money for Naps is a big risk. He did get hurt this year. It was like Martin with the Dodgers.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
We have an American Association independent league team here in Fargo, the Fargo-Moorhead Redhawks. They used to be affiliated with the Northen League, but changed affiliations this year. It's great to go games there. You can get awesome seats for $10 and they have a beautiful little park that's fairly modern. Dollar dog nights every Monday, and concessions seem like a bargain after going to a few games at Target Field!

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I think I'm going to buy Nationals season tickets for next year today. You get the rest of this season "free" and two extra tickets.

Seems like a good investment opportunity as long as Strasburg comes back strong and the team keeps on an improvement track. If this town can sell out hockey games for a winner... (crossing my fingers here).

The Dominican Fall League usually starts a week after the World Series. It's a great league to follow after the MLB season. A lot of scouts say it compares to a low AAA league. A lot of minor leaguers go there to get some more work in or try out new positions. Its a diverse league with players from Mexico to Korea playing there. Also some Dominican major league players usually play towards the end of the season and the beginning of the round robin playoffs. Whoever wins then plays in the Caribbean World Series, which is also awesome. Its great to see fans that really love baseball, maybe a little too much lol.

Cool. I think my wife and I are going to get tickets for either the Reading Phillies or the LV Iron Pigs, both are about 75-90 minutes away, and it would make a nice little weekend trip for us. The best part is just how insanely dirt cheap the seats are. It's crazy.

Malo

Banned
Dmncnby2k9 said:
The Dominican Fall League usually starts a week after the World Series. It's a great league to follow after the MLB season. A lot of scouts say it compares to a low AAA league. A lot of minor leaguers go there to get some more work in or try out new positions. Its a diverse league with players from Mexico to Korea playing there. Also some Dominican major league players usually play towards the end of the season and the beginning of the round robin playoffs. Whoever wins then plays in the Caribbean World Series, which is also awesome. Its great to see fans that really love baseball, maybe a little too much lol.
Vamos Leones del Escogido!

sf2fanatic said:
That was one of their biggest f up signing. Was kinda shocked Kazmir ended up horrible. Paying alot of money for Naps is a big risk. He did get hurt this year. It was like Martin with the Dodgers.

Napoli is not being paid a lot of money.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
World Series trophy dropped by the workplace today. Got a shot of the trophy next to some stormtroopers.

sf2fanatic said:
What? Napoli' OPS is double that of Mathis. Angels are a joke.

opposite field beast RASMUS

eznark

Banned
Doytch said:
yknow who's fuckin awesome? colby rasmus y'all.

God I hope he ends up a Hall of Famer. It was awesome watching John Jay not get to balls that Rasmus would have played easily!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom