• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Santana with his fifth straight win and third complete game in the last four. If the Anglols make the playoffs, Weaver/Haren/Santana is gonna be deadly.

Has the comparison between shane Victorino and The Great Gazoo been made yet?

aip7U.jpg
gwa7d.jpg

Enron

Banned
was at the store, got back in car, turned on the radio and I heard Jim Powell speaking about Ernie Johnson Sr. in the past tense. Don Sutton had to excuse himself for nearly an entire inning. :(

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So giants...you realize there is a postseason race going on right? Still think they will win the west, but they aren't doing themselves in favors.
AnEternalEnigma said:
Ernie Johnson Sr. just died.
:(
weekend_warrior said:
Has the comparison between shane Victorino and The Great Gazoo been made yet?

aip7U.jpg
gwa7d.jpg
it was made when he first wore the gazoo helmet a few years ago.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Maxim726X said:
Who wins the NL Cy right now... Halladay again?
yep

edit: also

NL top 3

fWAR

Halladay 6.1
Hamels 4.9
Lee 4.9

rWAR

Halladay 5.5
Hamels 5.0
Lee 4.6

If the Cy Young doesn't go to a Philly then something went horribly wrong.

Maxim726X

Windu said:
yep

edit: also

NL top 3

fWAR

Halladay 6.1
Hamels 4.9
Lee 4.9

rWAR

Halladay 5.5
Hamels 5.0
Lee 4.6

If the Cy Young doesn't go to a Philly then something went horribly wrong.

Thought that Hamels had a legit shot... But he won't get the wins. Not that wins matter, but if they're that close statistically I guess it will.

rando14

AnEternalEnigma said:
AJC reporter is reporting that Carlos Zambrano cleared out his locker and told everyone he was retiring.

Good riddance. Arguably the worst player in all of MLB.

--

Ackley is $.

Doytch

vas_a_morir said:
That's too bad, really.
Yeah...and they didn't even make the steps forward that I was really hoping they'd make. I was excited for them going into this year. McDonald and Alvarez have been awful, and Neil Walker has been just as bad since April ended.

Here's hoping Taillon/Allie develop.

rando14

Beavan: "What, the Mariners are scoring runs for me? I won't stand for that, I'll show them, I'll let the Red Sox score back an equal or greater amount immediately in the next inning!"

Enron

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
AJC reporter is reporting that Carlos Zambrano cleared out his locker and told everyone he was retiring.

By Matt Snyder

After an outing in which he allowed five home runs as part of eight earned runs in 4 1/3 inning -- before getting himself ejected seemingly on purpose -- mercurial Cubs starting pitcher Carlos Zambrano has cleaned out his locker, left the clubhouse and told some people he's retiring from baseball (per multiple reporters, including Chicago-Sun Times).

This is not the first time Zambrano has mentioned retirement, but in the past it always seemed like a bit of a joke or his response to questions from reporters. This time around, he left the locker room before anyone even noticed. He reportedly told a Cubs' trainer that he was "retired" and just left with all his belongings (Chicago Tribune via Twitter).

Given that Zambrano is prone to emotional overreactions, it's hard to tell if he's serious or not. Of course, all the reporters in the locker room said manager Mike Quade was incredibly angry and that Zambrano's status is "unclear" even if he tries to return to the Cubs. There is a precedent in place, as general manager Jim Hendry suspended disgruntled outfielder Milton Bradley for the last several weeks of the 2009 season before trading him in the offseason.

Zambrano, 30, is a three-time All Star and finished fifth in Cy Young voting three times for the Cubs as well. He's 125-80 with a 3.25 ERA in his 11-year career, which has been spent entirely with the Cubs. He has regressed in the past several years, however, save for a few spurts where it appeared he was back to his old self.

Zambrano does have one year and $19 million left on his contract, which also includes a vesting option for 2013.

http://mlb-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/31288739

hemtae

And here I was thinking that that Lackey would be able to get his ERA under 6 this game.

Lackey, its the freaking Mariners. This should be easy.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Maxim726X said:
Wow 19 million for Carlos Zambrano.

What's the take home message kiddies? Long term contracts for starting pitchers is always a bad idea.

The take home message is don't overpay 19 million dollars a year on a longterm basis to a guy who has never been worth 19 million dollars in a season.

Maxim726X

darkside31337 said:
The take home message is don't overpay 19 million dollars a year on a longterm basis to a guy who has never been worth 19 million dollars in a season.

Yes he has. Putting up an ERA+ over 135 for 4 straight seasons (one of 160) is worth that much, especially with the market for starting pitching.

Yes he was worth that much at a time. If he was pitching now like he was in 2004 no one would be saying a word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom