• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phillies are sending OF Domingo Santana to the Astros to complete the Hunter Pence trade. He was the #9 ranked prospect in the Phillies system according to Baseball America.

eznark

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
Phillies are sending OF Domingo Santana to the Astros to complete the Hunter Pence trade. He was the #9 ranked prospect in the Phillies system according to Baseball America.

Really? That's kind of shocking. He's only 18 right? I think he was at like a .800 OPS with decent pop for an 18 year old.

edit: BP had this to say before the season: 15. Domingo Santana, OF: A six-foot-five teenager with tremendous raw power, but he struck out 149 times last year in just 351 at-bats.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The raw tools are great but the numbers not so much.

120 strikeouts in just 391 AB's this year (191 in 515 total A-Ball AB's) is pretty alarming. Not a ton of in-game power either. But he's just 18 so it's a nice pick up for the Astros.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Well thankfully Bill Smith waited until his value was at its absolute lowest before trading him, so there's that. I assume this means they're planning on bringing back Cuddyer, Kubel, or both. I'm expecting them to just bring Cuddyer back, and for way too much money to boot.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Lambtron said:
Well thankfully Bill Smith waited until his value was at its absolute lowest before trading him, so there's that.

He really dropped the ball by not getting a mediocre middle reliever for him when he could.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
darkside31337 said:
He really dropped the ball by not getting a mediocre middle reliever for him when he could.
I'm guessing Nelson will promptly be converted to the bullpen. And the PBTNL will be another middling relief prospect.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
clemenx said:
He can't be worse than the corpse of Magglio?

Delmon Young joined Twins in 2008. Since then the only player with more plate appearances and a lower WAR is Yuniesky Betancourt.

Him and Maggs is honestly pretty close in terms of futility.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
darkside31337 said:
Delmon Young joined Twins in 2008. Since then the only player with more plate appearances and a lower WAR is Yuniesky Betancourt.

Delmon runs into one every now and again, but he basically can only hit soft tossing, control pitchers. Basically, he's going to mash the Twins pitching staff and suck against everyone else.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
lazybones18 said:
Jeff Sullivan's brilliant analysis on that at-bat: http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/8/15/2364354/santiago-casilla-batting-video-jose-ceda-giants-marlins

Casilla stepped in, but only barely, standing more than a full Pedroia away from home plate.

casillabatting2.png

The only explanation I can come up with is that Ceda was afraid. Casilla had never batted in the majors, sure. He's never batted in triple-A, either, nor double-A, nor single-A. But back in 2002, he batted 14 times with the rookie ball Arizona League Athletics and hit .462/.500/.769. Barry Bonds had a career slugging percentage of .607. Casilla's career slugging percentage was much much higher, and maybe Ceda preferred to take his chances with the guy on deck. Ball four.

darkside31337 said:

And yet no matter how shitty Young is, he's still worth more than some reliever. Twins gave up Matt Garza and Jason Barlett for Cole Nelson and a PTBNL. between this trade and almost giving up Denard Span for Drew Storen, I think Bill Smith is the new Ed Wade.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
DevelopmentArrested said:
And yet no matter how shitty Young is, he's still worth more than some reliever. Twins gave up Matt Garza and Jason Barlett for Cole Nelson and a PTBNL. lol
Woah woah woah, they sent Brendan Harris and cash to the Orioles with JJ Hardy for Jim Hoey & Brett Jacobson. That sweetens the haul a bit!

Christ, Bill Smith is a bad GM.

Delmon is a horrible player. He's taking away playing time from better players. The Twins have too many slow, plodding corner outfielders. I understand the move, but they absolutely did it when Young had as little value as possible. But that goes back to my previous point about Smith being a terrible GM. He's completely overmatched. He's just awful. He's the Delmon Young of GMs.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
DevelopmentArrested said:
1.8 WAR over 6 years is pretty fucking terrible though.
Especially since last year he had 1.8 WAR. Holy shit his fielding is bad. -22.6 UZR/150 in 2009... in the tiny Metrodome left field. Good god.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I remember last season when Twins fans thought Delmon Young was better than Span. Even some hilarious Delmon Young MVP talk back in August last year after one hot month.

Hell I bet most of them are pissed at Bill Smith at trading Young. They can't comprehend why they only got back a middle reliever and a PTBNL for the great Delmon Young.

http://www.twinkietown.com/2011/8/15/2364597/twins-trade-delmon-young-to-detroit#comments

The poll and article on that page is my proof that most Twins fans are insane.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait for another fun Bill Smith offseason.

- Sign Michael Cuddyer to a contract > $40 million.
- Trade Danny Valencia for some spare parts.
- Overpay one reliever instead of getting a couple of useful ones.
- Sign a terrible 3rd baseman, using Matt Tolbert as the "back up plan."
- Trade Francisco Liriano for basically nothing.

darkside31337 said:
I remember last season when Twins fans thought Delmon Young was better than Span. Even some hilarious Delmon Young MVP talk back in August last year after one hot month.

Hell I bet most of them are pissed at Bill Smith at trading Young. They can't comprehend why they only got back a middle reliever and a PTBNL for the great Delmon Young.

http://www.twinkietown.com/2011/8/15/2364597/twins-trade-delmon-young-to-detroit#comments

The poll and article on that page is my proof that most Twins fans are insane.
First, Twinkie Town is a terrible pulse of Twins fans, but I admit most are horrible. Some (like Aaron Gleeman, who you clearly read somewhere) are quite awesome, but there are a lot of shitty ones. But most Twins fans are happy he's down the road. If anything they are upset that Smith didn't move him when he had some value (i.e., this offseason). He was a completely replaceable asset, at a position (corner outfield) where the Twins had depth coming into the season. Instead, he traded away a very valuable asset (JJ Hardy) at a position (middle infield) where the Twins haven't had depth in years. Then they used that payroll room to give Pavano & Capps $15 million.

I can't stress just how terrible Bill Smith is.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
keithlaw keithlaw
What? Twins should have offered free shipping. RT @jeffrent: Shouldn't the Twins have gotten a little more/better for trading Delmon Young?

and then in response comes Glen Perkins

ItIsPerk
Glen Perkins
@keithlaw he rode our team bus to the field today. Does that count?

Ouch. Also do not google image the name Cole Nelson. I don't even want to know why that showed up.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
cuevas said:
Like that's hard to do
Yeah, it's pretty easy when Management gets rid of good players because they don't like their personality or foot speed. I can laugh at the White Sox now because the Twins aren't paying Adam Done $56 million, but I'm thinking they're about to get themselves into a similar contract with Michael Cuddyer.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Twins fans will be mad if they let Cuddyer go and he gets that kind of coin somewhere else. But many of them are morons.

Square Triangle said:
He is still better than Maggs. Fucking Leyland has this weird love for vets who have fallen off their pace.
Just wait until you watch him play for like a week, then come back and let's have this discussion again. I hope the Twins' gameplan for tonight is "hit the ball into left field."

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Lambtron said:
Yeah, it's pretty easy when Management gets rid of good players because they don't like their personality or foot speed. I can laugh at the White Sox now because the Twins aren't paying Adam Done $56 million, but I'm thinking they're about to get themselves into a similar contract with Michael Cuddyer.

"Everyone in the organization is ecstatic for Michael Cuddyer. He's been a fabulous team player; the team is always first" with him, general manager Bill Smith said. "It's never been about where he wants to play, or where he wants to bat - it's been about winning and the team."

Versatility in lineup + Versatility in field + Fabulous Team Player + Team First Mentality + Winner

You guys are screwed.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
darkside31337 said:
"Everyone in the organization is ecstatic for Michael Cuddyer. He's been a fabulous team player; the team is always first" with him, general manager Bill Smith said. "It's never been about where he wants to play, or where he wants to bat - it's been about winning and the team."

Versatility in lineup + Versatility in field + Fabulous Team Player + Team First Mentality + Winner

You guys are screwed.
There was an opinion piece in the Star Tribune the other day complaining that because of the Mauer contract the Twins had to "lowball" Cuddyer (they offered him a 2 year, $16 million extension during the season), and they're going to lose him. Which is horrible because Cuddyer has "outplayed" Mauer since 2010. This is the type of things these people think. It kills me.

I'd give Cuddyer two years, $12 million with an option for a 3rd year, max. I'd offer a bit more for Kubel who is younger and pretty much Cuddyer's equal everywhere except for CTORP (Card Tricks Over Replacement Player). The only place the Twins have organizational depth is at outfielder. They have a player with a similar skill set to Cuddyer in Trevor Plouffe (he can play all infield postions plus right & left field) who will make the minimum next year. He's probably not going to hit 20 bombs, but it's not like Cuddyer's career has been a model of consistency. Ben Revere is likely to play in left next year. Joe Benson & Rene Tosoni should be able to play at the corners. Signing a plodding corner outfielder to a long, big money contract is stupid, period. When the player is as marginal as Cuddyer, it's absolutely ludicrous.

It hasn't even happened yet and I'm melting down. I'm going to be a wreck this offseason watching Smith kill the team.

Lambtron said:
Twins fans will be mad if they let Cuddyer go and he gets that kind of coin somewhere else. But many of them are morons.

Just wait until you watch him play for like a week, then come back and let's have this discussion again. I hope the Twins' gameplan for tonight is "hit the ball into left field."
Lol you'll have to keep me updated as Im stuck at work tonight.

Any chance we see Shawn Green in the lineup tonight? Could use some very much needed help..:p

e: on a different note I was listening to the Dan Patrick SHow and majority of the callers were excited about Uggla's streak ending. Im like damn..Also DP was interviewing Kemp and asked him about his ex...classic!!

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Oh Delmon. On being penciled into the 3rd spot in Detroit's lineup tonight, in front of Cabrera:

Delmon Young said:
I’ve never been in that situation before, where I have a Hall of Fame-type player behind me.

Delmon, the Twins traded for you to be the middle of the order bat.

Dragon

Banned
That Delmon Young trade for the Twins...yuck.

Garza had a WAR of almost 9 in three years for the Rays, while Young finished with 1.0 WAR for the Twins. That isn't even counting how good Bartlett was for the Rays that one year.

He had a decent counting stats year last year (with a respectable .492 slugging) what happened to him this year?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
TheBranca18 said:
That Delmon Young trade for the Twins...yuck.

Garza had a WAR of almost 9 in three years for the Rays, while Young finished with 1.0 WAR for the Twins. That isn't even counting how good Bartlett was for the Rays that one year.
But the Twins Gardenhire didn't like Garza or Bartlett's attitude. So clearly it was a good trade.

TheBranca18 said:
He had a decent counting stats year last year (with a respectable .492 slugging) what happened to him this year?
Regression's a bitch, I guess. He was hitting like .355 with RISP last year which is clearly unsustainable. Also the Twins offense was actually pretty formidable last year and he hit with ducks on the pond a lot.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Doytch said:
Melky is gonna be next years fantasy Delmon. Calling it now.

To be fair to Melky, he's actually having a really damn amazing year in real life this season.

Delmon Young was only good in fantasy baseball. For one season.

Theres a strong argument to be made that the Royals should keep Gordon - Melky - Francoeur as their starting OFers going into next season. And I don't think there's a chance in hell anyone would have thought that before the season started.

Jdez15 said:
Tigers acquired Delmon Young? Interesting. Certainly not a player that can put them over the top.
And no one expects that out of him. Again Maggs was a hole in the line up so anyone with two legs would have been better. Betemit is performing better now in a Tigers uniform, hopefuly Young comes around.

Jdez15

Banned
Square Triangle said:
And no one expects that out of him. Again Maggs was a hole in the line up so anyone with two legs would have been better. Betemit is performing better now in a Tigers uniform, hopefuly Young comes around.
What I've seen from him is pretty decent, He's hitting around 267 I believe, so that should help them out a little. Good pickup.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Jdez15 said:
Do you guys think the Tigers are going to hold onto the top spot?
that division is so bad that the tigers could probably play .500 ball the rest of the season and still win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom