• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
sf2fanatic said:
ummm ... that could be a homer...

There is a thin mesh railing in inbetween the top of the padded wall and the padded bar. On the freezeframe the ball appears to go up and ricochet in between, now my question is this: Is the railing/padded bar a part of the wall, or is the railing behind the wall and considered out of the park? Because Stadium Ground Rules come into play and it's my understanding that the railing might be considered behind the wall.

also Windu am cry.

FanGraphs: Wally Pipping Jason Heyward

Unfortunately, while Constanza has been tremendously productive, amassing more wins above replacement in three weeks of work than Heyward has all year, the new arrangement hasn’t suited Jason at all. Since August 1, he’s hitting .136/.269/.273, with a .143 BABIP. He’s surely getting unlucky, but he has looked uncomfortable at the plate all year, and losing his starting job hasn’t helped.

Heyward has not been good this year. He hasn’t been punished by an evil stepmother: he has seriously regressed, and it’s not clear why. His falling plate discipline is the biggest indicator that he seriously needs to work on his approach, but his infield fly ball rate has spiked from 8.4 percent last year to 23.7 percent this year, and if you have watched him play in any game this year, you’ve almost certainly seen him roll over a ball and ground it to second base. It’s hard to know what to do with a young player who suddenly starts playing a lot worse. One option is the Moustakas treatment, where the player is assured by the team that he has a starting spot no matter what. Heyward hasn’t received that. He’s been bumped.

No one on the Braves is pretending that this situation is permanent. If and when Constanza turns back into a pumpkin, Heyward will probably be re-inserted into the lineup. That will probably happen some time shortly before the beginning of the playoffs, which the Braves are on pace to enter as the Wild Card. In the meantime, the Braves will have to hope that Heyward is able to figure out his problems despite reduced opportunities to do so.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
He went to the stretch midway through his last start.

Cain was in the stretch for most of the game the other day.

Really bizarre.

Re: Heyward. He's lying. He's either injured or he's completely altered his swing for no reason. The Uggla comparison is a joke because Uggla wasn't playing hurt when it is so obvious to the naked eye that their is something wrong with Heyward physically. Constanza is better than a hobbled up Heyward.

Celsior

The Frankman said:
ummm ... that could be a homer...

There is a thin mesh railing in inbetween the top of the padded wall and the padded bar. On the freezeframe the ball appears to go up and ricochet in between, now my question is this: Is the railing/padded bar a part of the wall, or is the railing behind the wall and considered out of the park? Because Stadium Ground Rules come into play and it's my understanding that the railing might be considered behind the wall.
The ground rules say that railing is not a homerun which make the calling even worse. When the umping supervisor goes on the field after the game to show you your mistake, your wrong.

Celsior said:
The ground rules say that railing is not a homerun which make the calling even worse. When the umping supervisor goes on the field after the game to show you your mistake, your wrong.
Damn, how does an ump not know the Ground Rules? Geez.

Damn. Chipper destroyed that one. They just said on the telecast that Lincecum's pitched 9 games this season where he's gotten 0 runs of support. Can anyone from Giants-age confirm that? That's horrible.

I think Mauer should make a great outfielder. I like how Flaherty called out Kay about Mauer's arm and not testing it.
Oh Hughes went to wrong gate and missed flight, that's y Mauer in the OF. Thought he was learning the position.

clemenx said:
I hope Halladay gets murdered from here until end of season, I really want to see Kershaw get the Cy, love him.
I agree with the first part because my main competitor in the GAF money league owns him. Lincecum would actually be working himself back into the Cy Young race if his offense didn't totally suck.

Sharp

CajoleJuice said:
I agree with the first part because my main competitor in the GAF money league owns him. Lincecum would actually be working himself back into the Cy Young race if his offense didn't totally suck.
Yeah, it's weird how Lincecum doesn't quite seem to be in the discussion... is it because he already has back-to-back Cy Youngs and a WS ring?

Sharp said:
Yeah, it's weird how Lincecum doesn't quite seem to be in the discussion... is it because he already has back-to-back Cy Youngs and a WS ring?
I don't think there's been much room for anyone to sneak in between the top three Phillies and Kershaw. And Lincecum's ERA went well over 3.00 in the middle of season. I think people wrote him off then. Even I didn't realize his ERA was back this low. If he throws another scoreless inning, he'll be even with Halladay. Of course, Halladay's FIP is much, much lower.

For the second night in a row, I'd like to say FUCK YEAH ALEX GORDON

3 run hr last night
2 run hr just now

Now to see if countrybreakfast can once again follow it up with a totally legit solo shot.

verbum

ReturnOfTheRAT said:
He should never, EVER, swing with a double play in order.

I am through with Alex this year.
I always admired him because he does have a good talent playing SS. And he has a daughter who suffered anoxic brain damage and has been on a ventilator for a number of years but he has kept it private.
I really hope the Braves look for a good young SS who can hit in the off season . A rare breed but it is one of their missing pieces.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
verbum said:
I am through with Alex this year.
I always admired him because he does have a good talent playing SS. And he has a daughter who suffered anoxic brain damage and has been on a ventilator for a number of years but he has kept it private.
I really hope the Braves look for a good young SS who can hit in the off season . A rare breed but it is one of their missing pieces.
the braves are probably either going to resign Alex for another year or some other SS as a stopgap for pastrinicky who I think they view as the future SS.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
ReturnOfTheRAT said:
The Giant's can't stop Constanza's shine.
Honestly, if it weren't for the controversy with Heyward, Constanza would be one of those players that I'd totally have a crush on and be going, "man, where do the Braves keep finding these guys?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom