• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
CajoleJuice said:
Not sure you need to accept that Andruw Jones was better than Willie Mays to see him as a Hall of Famer. He has 414 HR and played the best CF any of us has ever seen. And he's still only 34.

Agree with everything about Jones, he's a definite HoFer but the "he's only 34" line cracks me up.

To call him a former shell of himself would be a joke to guys who were just former shells of themselves.

Guy has been done since the second he put on the Dodgers uniform. It was amazing to see him gain like 40 pounds of fat the second after he signed that contract with them and he was already getting pudgy by the end of his Braves days.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
darkside31337 said:
Agree with everything about Jones, he's a definite HoFer but the "he's only 34" line cracks me up.

To call him a former shell of himself would be a joke to guys who were just former shells of themselves.

Guy has been done since the second he put on the Dodgers uniform. It was amazing to see him gain like 40 pounds of fat the second after he signed that contract with them.
he still seems to hit lefties quite well though.

darkside31337 said:

Guy has been done since the second he put on the Dodgers uniform. It was amazing to see him gain like 40 pounds of fat the second after he signed that contract with them.
I kinda pointed that out because it's so hard to believe that he's 34. He was incredible for a full ten years and he's been a fatass for a few years, so it seems like he should be 37 or 38.
Also this. He can stick around and hit 450+ HR, easily.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Windu said:

Yeah don't get me wrong he can still help big league teams out, he's still above replacement level.

It's just kinda sad how he went from one of the greatest defensive players to ever play the game to just being a guy because he became a total fatass.

I wouldn't be shocked to see some writers hold that against him, especially the LA guys.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Windu said:
fangraphs defense CF all time

1 - Andruw Jones 274
2 - Willie Mays 185

Baseball Reference

1 - Andruw Jones 23.7
2 - Willie Mays 18.5
slap_Guess_Who-s256x184-37026-535.gif

Windu

darkside31337 said:
Yeah don't get me wrong he can still help big league teams out, he's still above replacement level.

It's just kinda sad how he went from one of the greatest defensive players to ever play the game to just being a guy because he became a total fatass.

I wouldn't be shocked to see some writers hold that against him, especially the LA guys.
oh they will hold it against him. I doubt he will get into the hall because of dumbass voters.

ToxicAdam

I don't know why people are dramatically defending Willie Mays. None of us saw him play day-in and day-out. All you have is that famous play from a World Series.

Windu

i have a feeling if mays didn't play in new york with all of the media attention people wouldn't have such a problem with the notion that andruw might be better defensively.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
ToxicAdam said:
I don't know why people are dramatically defending Willie Mays. None of us saw him play day-in and day-out. All you have is that famous play from a World Series.

To be fair it was The Catch after all. Amazing catches do wonders for legacy purposes. Willie Mays is one of the best players to ever play the game but it's The Catch that resonates more than anything.

Gary Matthews Jr. made $50 million off what I consider to be the greatest defensive play I've ever seen.

Do you think maybe if he got back into shape he could be even 60% of what he once was?

He was RIDICULOUS literally until he entered LA - the best CF in the game as soon as Griffey broke down.

Windu

captmcblack said:
Do you think maybe if he got back into shape he could be even 60% of what he once was?

He was RIDICULOUS literally until he entered LA - the best CF in the game as soon as Griffey broke down.
it seems like his knees are destroyed from having to play center for so long, same thing kind of happened with griffey it seems. He seemed to come in kinda good shape to white sox camp a few years ago though. Still think he is a above average defender in center, but of course not omg amazing.

Andruw's fat explosion was pretty jarring considering he trimmed down to 1996 Andruw in 2007. Although 2007 totally wrecked his chances at a fat contract, so maybe he figured being a skinny bitch hurt him.

CajoleJuice said:
Endy Chavez's catch > Willie Mays' catch

:(
Damn bro, what a catch and game. That was fuckin amazing. Endy made some crazy plays. I remember one where he was out of the picture and suddenly he comes sliding in and makes the catch.

clemenx

Banned
CajoleJuice said:
Endy Chavez's catch > Willie Mays' catch

Speaking of which, Endy has been totally awesome covering CF for the Rangers, pretty unnoticed too. So happy for him that he could recover from Yuni destroying his knee.

Man the way Jays have scoring runs for Romero lately he should pitch on 3 days rest to get to 20.

Dodgers should be taking notes on this for Kuroda

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Why are Angels fans booing their players?

They should be booing the crap out of their GM who might have literally managed to pull off the worst trade in the history of baseball and their moronic manager who keeps running them out there.

It's not Jeff Mathis' fault he has a .479 OPS. The guy is a scrub. He knows it and everybody else knows it (except for the moronic writers who don't). Blame the only manager in baseball who would keep running him out there every day.

Could basically run down the entire roster of lemons that have been assembled. Expecting greatness out of a team with nobody great is completely absurd.

Howie Kendrick leads the Angels in OPS. The Rangers have 6 starting players in their lineup tonight with a higher OPS than him. And Mitch Moreland got scratched tonight with an injury.

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT. WHY DO OUR NEW FUCKING RELIVERS FUCKING SUCK?

God, somehow I am not satisfied with 3/4. I'm really concerned about us losing momentum...

Guh, just woke up. Worked at four this morning, then left immediately for Miller Park. Traffic was fucking murder, and the vein in my head was pulsating by the time I actually got inside the park. Fucking kids kicked the back of my seat all game long despite the dirty looks I kept giving them. And to top off the shit sundae, Kershaw styling all over the Crew. Kid is fucking GOOD. Too bad Halladay anchors the three-headed beast in Philly, otherwise Kershaw would get my vote for the Cy. He made it look easy today.

After getting stuck in more shitty Milwaukee rush hour traffic, drowned my sorrows a little bit and finally called it a day around six. I hate that drowsy feeling after taking a extended nap, add the booze in and I feel like such shit.

cashman

Banned
The_Inquisitor said:
Seriously what the fuck is wrong with our trades. Koji and Adams have been fucking up real bad.
The talent level difference between the Rangers and Angels is way too big to have me worried about any sort of comeback, hell the Angels are even lucky to be this close.

cashman said:
The talent level difference between the Rangers and Angels is way too big to have me worried about any sort of comeback, hell the Angels are even lucky to be this close.

I could give two fucks about this loss. What I am really referring to is our play-off viability.

The_Inquisitor said:
I could give two fucks about this loss. What I am really referring to is our play-off viability.

I know that feel, bro. Even though it was interleague, getting styled on by the Red Sox and Yankees put some deep fears in me about how the Crew will handle the potential playoff run against superior teams. The Phillies series starting September 9 will be our next big test, and both teams are running vastly differently then they were when the Brewers took three out of four in Philly. I'm hoping that it'll prove that the Brewers are truly legit this season and not the beneficiaries of a cake schedule.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
darkside31337 said:
Why are Angels fans booing their players?

They should be booing the crap out of their GM who might have literally managed to pull off the worst trade in the history of baseball and their moronic manager who keeps running them out there.

It's not Jeff Mathis' fault he has a .479 OPS. The guy is a scrub. He knows it and everybody else knows it (except for the moronic writers who don't). Blame the only manager in baseball who would keep running him out there every day.

Could basically run down the entire roster of lemons that have been assembled. Expecting greatness out of a team with nobody great is completely absurd.

Howie Kendrick leads the Angels in OPS. The Rangers have 6 starting players in their lineup tonight with a higher OPS than him. And Mitch Moreland got scratched tonight with an injury.
But the media continues to ballwash their retarded manager. I mean it's obviously that the WORST TRADE OF ALL TIME happened because of that fat fuck's input. I think Napoli had to have fucked his daughter or something. What he did to Mathis/Napoli in the 2009 ALCS was, like, *boggle*. And then it's *boggle* that he managed to carry it out into the next two years.

clemenx

Banned
Wait a minute. THIS was a serious tweet? I thought it was sarcasm from someone smart when I first read it.

If my math is correct the 27 outs Jeff Mathis has a firm hand in creating are 9 times more valuable than 3 he gives up with bat.#angels

http://twitter.com/#!/LyleMSpencer/status/103341075627913216

My brain can't take this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom