• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
ConradCervantes said:
I know that feel, bro. Even though it was interleague, getting styled on by the Red Sox and Yankees put some deep fears in me about how the Crew will handle the potential playoff run against superior teams. The Phillies series starting September 9 will be our next big test, and both teams are running vastly differently then they were when the Brewers took three out of four in Philly. I'm hoping that it'll prove that the Brewers are truly legit this season and not the beneficiaries of a cake schedule.

Our pitching has gotten significantly better and Marcum getting destroyed pretty much gave us no chance in game 3 of that Sox series. I really doubt that happens again. If we get the pitching we have gotten the past month, I love our chances in playoff series.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
clemenx said:
My brain can't take this.

Lyle Spencer gets paid by Major League Baseball to write about the Angels.

Catching is 80 percent defense. Offense is icing. Mathis is an excellent receiver.
Mathis has produced a lot more Ws than Ls with his 27. Gets no credit for Ws inordinate blame for Ls.
Napoli has benefited by getting into fresh environment. Same would happen to Mathis. Hope it happens this winter.
Most undervalued in franchise history by far. 94, 97 100 wins his first 3 years. No credit at all.
Catchers guide defense and call pitches. They are most valuable aspect of defense. Sorry so few grasp that.
Catchers are heart of any defense. Every good manager will tell you that. Not just Mike.
You'd be surprised. I'd love to see Mathis in Milwaukee or Cincinnati or TB. Even Boston. Can see him excelling all those places

All these quotes from Lyle Spencer via Twitter. All from this Tuesday. This guy gets paid by MLB to write on the Angels. If there is a man on the planet who loves Mathis more than their manager does then it is Lyle Spencer.

Sanjuro

Miller Time tonight. We should have picked up another bat till. I wonder if there are Vegas odds if JD Drew will ever be at the plate again?

Dragon

Banned
I find it interesting about Mathis. Adam Dunn walks more and strikes out more but hits bombs (he sucks this year) and gets blamed by people for wins and losses. Perhaps rightly so. And then there's Mathis, fans know he sucks, but some writers and incredibly stupid managers play him even though Dontrelle Willis is a better hitter.

Some of his numbers are mindboggling. 12 extra base hits in 230 at bats this year, 13 walks and 65 strikeouts. Two of his walks are intentional. By the Mets. IN ONE GAME. A team like the Angels is succeeding despite his pure awfulness, not because of it.

eznark

Banned
darkside31337 said:
All these quotes from Lyle Spencer via Twitter. All from this Tuesday. This guy gets paid by MLB to write on the Angels. If there is a man on the planet who loves Mathis more than their manager does then it is Lyle Spencer.

Who is this idiot? The Brewers have a second year above average catcher for peanuts. Why the fuck would they sign Mathis who is three years older and about a third as productive to anything?

snack

Where would you guys rank Ricky Romero in terms of AL starting pitchers? Is he somewhere near the top?

Just curious, and I don't follow baseball all that much. Hopefully one day, Toronto wins the pennant again. I'll be waiting. Patiently...

eznark

Banned
snack said:
Where would you guys rank Ricky Romero in terms of AL starting pitchers? Is he somewhere near the top?

Just curious, and I don't follow baseball all that much. Hopefully one day, Toronto wins the pennant again. I'll be waiting. Patiently...

He's been incredibly lucky this year, but he is good. Near the top? I don't think so. Closer to the top than the bottom though, so better than average. Good 2/3 starter.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
snack said:

A solid #2. He's definitely been blessed with some nice luck this year but he's still been very good. Would rank him somewhere around 15th or so in AL SP.

Mrbob

Great day to be a Cubs fan. Time to start the healing process as we get away from the Hendry regime.

Ricketts isn't an idiot after all.

eznark

Banned
Mrbob said:
Great day to be a Cubs fan. Time to start the healing process as we get away from the Hendry regime.

Ricketts isn't an idiot after all.

Enjoy 4 years of housecleaning and rebuilding!!

I wish I could hear the new guys reaction when they try to explain why they made zero dumps at the deadline this year. Of course, knowing the Cubs they will probably just promote Hendry's #2!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Jangocube said:
Been away for a couple of centuries to see that the Orioles didn't make it to first place in my absence. What a shame

Cubs will be in rebuilding mode. Not a 4 year mode but I don't think there is any chance they go after Pujols considering how many holes they have and how much roster overhaul they are going to be doing this offseason. It's best to temper expectations a bit.

eznark

Banned
acheron_xl said:
Teams that have the kind of revenue that the Cubs have generally don't rebuild from scratch.

God I pray that is the route they go! Spend their way right back into the hole they are in today. Glorious!

darkside31337 said:
Cubs will be in rebuilding mode. Not a 4 year mode but I don't think there is any chance they go after Pujols considering how many holes they have and how much roster overhaul they are going to be doing this offseason. It's best to temper expectations a bit.

I think they'd go after Prince before they go after Pujols. I'd be really upset to see Prince leave for the Cubs, but I wouldn't blame him. Dude crushes in Wrigley.

eznark

Banned
acheron_xl said:
I think they'd go after Prince before they go after Pujols. I'd be really upset to see Prince leave for the Cubs, but I wouldn't blame him. Dude crushes in Wrigley.

If he signs more than a 4 year deal with them I will be stoked and laughing. If they can get him for 4 or fewer I will be sad.

Do large market teams really ever rebuild how other teams with smaller markets or fanbases? They have to keep the appearance of competing right? Especially since the cubs have been struggling recently with attendance when they have gotten away with being bad in the past with no consequences.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
cuevas said:
Do large market teams really ever rebuild how other teams with smaller markets or fanbases? They have to keep the appearance of competing right? Especially since the cubs have been struggling recently with attendance when they have gotten away with being bad in the past with no consequences.

Eat the bad contracts nobody in baseball will touch, trade the assets that you do have for whatever you can, and live with mediocrity for a year or two before going for it again is usually how it goes.

I think the Cubs fanbase would be receptive though to a full blown rebuilding effort and a youth movement in general. It's not like most other big market franchises which have experienced playoff success and World Series titles in the last 100 years. I'd imagine Cubs fans will have more patience than most large market fanbases with whoever ends up taking over.

No one shows up to Cubs games right now because they play the worst kind of baseball. Bad boring baseball with basically nobody to get excited for in terms of young players.

darkside31337 said:
Eat the bad contracts nobody in baseball will touch, trade the assets that you do have for whatever you can, and live with mediocrity for a year or two before going for it again is usually how it goes.

I heard the Angels love trading for shitty, overpaid ex-stars.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
acheron_xl said:
I heard the Angels love trading for shitty, overpaid ex-stars.

In "defense" of Reagins the Angels weren't rebuilding. Nobody in baseball rebuilds by trading for Vernon Wells. Trading for Wells was a "going for it" trade and might go down as the worst big league player-for-player trade in the history of baseball.

Angels would be exciting to watch in the playoffs with that rotation. It's utterly amazing how the trade of Napoli (and the rotting corpse of Juan Rivera) for Wells killed their chances this year, and will cripple them for the foreseeable future.

Puddles

Banned
Damn, Ethier's OPS is under .800 now.

I hate to speak badly of my own guy, but he really didn't deserve to be an All-Star this year.

I wonder how the Dodgers would have done if we could have had 2009 Ethier, 2007 James Loney, and 2008 Chad Billingsley.

darkside31337 said:
In "defense" of Reagins the Angels weren't rebuilding. Nobody in baseball rebuilds by trading for Vernon Wells. Trading for Wells was a "going for it" trade and might go down as the worst big league player-for-player trade in the history of baseball.

Pedro Martinez for Delino DeFuckingShields.

eznark

Banned
Puddles said:
Damn, Ethier's OPS is under .800 now.

I hate to speak badly of my own guy, but he really didn't deserve to be an All-Star this year.

I wonder how the Dodgers would have done if we could have had 2009 Ethier, 2007 James Loney, and 2008 Chad Billingsley.

Know who looked clueless most of this week? Matt Kemp.

Upton now gets my MVP vote.

darkside31337 said:
No one shows up to Cubs games right now because they play the worst kind of baseball. Bad boring baseball with basically nobody to get excited for in terms of young players.
That's what I meant, they used to be able get away with being unwatchable.

Puddles

Banned
Matt Kemp was never a serious contender anyway. He'd have to be annihilating the field stat-wise to win MVP on a team that's going to finish 15+ games under .500.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
AnEternalEnigma said:
July 22 was 6 weeks ago?

I knew I was off by a couple of weeks. Evidently so did Hendry because he didn't make any trades. Although now there's certainly an explanation as to why they wouldn't trade Jeff Baker.

bluemax

Banned
darkside31337 said:
Lyle Spencer gets paid by Major League Baseball to write about the Angels.

What is this. I don't even.

bluemax

Banned
Puddles said:
Pedro Martinez for Delino DeFuckingShields.

In retrospect this trade looks worse than it did at the time. At the time you had a swap of a nearly 3 WAR 2B who was only 24 and signed to a reasonable contract for a 3 win pitcher coming off his rookie contract who was making peanuts. Pedro didn't jump to god tier for another THREE seasons. And at that point he was on a new contract, so he could've been not a Dodger by then anyhow.

Vernon Wells was traded after his age THIRTY ONE season, and he still had 6 years and ONE HUNDRED AND TEN MILLION dollars left on his contract. He's getting paid TWENTY ONE MILLION A YEAR until 2014.

This year he has been worth -0.9 WAR, and the guy he was traded for has been worth 3.4 WAR.

Pedro for Delino was bad because they gave up a promising young pitcher and got a slightly better than league average young second baseman. But Delino Deshields didn't cripple the Dodgers financially for 4 years and he at least had positive value during his Dodgers tenure.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
acheron_xl said:
Barney and Castro have combined for 2 WAR. Cano has been worth 3.7 by himself.

Er I think my sarcasm went completely over your head there.

I was doing a comparison as if I was Jim Hendry or any other GM who blatantly disregards the concept of OBP (looking at you Dayton Moore).

darkside31337 said:
Er I think my sarcasm went completely over your head there.

I was doing a comparison as if I was Jim Hendry or any other GM who blatantly disregards the concept of OBP (looking at you Dayton Moore).

Mmhmm.

I wonder if Dusty Baker every had an itch to move up to the front office?

Reports are the Astros have put Brett Myers and Wandy Rodriguez on waivers.

Rodriguez is owed $23 million the next two seasons, including a $13 million club option in 2014.

Myers is owed $11 million next season with a $10 million club option in 2013.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Doesn't virtually every single player in baseball get placed on waivers?

There is literally no reason to not put every guy on your team on waivers. These so and so guys placed on waiver stories are just weird. Like it's one thing if they clear through waivers I suppose but Wandy Rodriguez being placed on waivers is hardly news.

darkside31337 said:
Doesn't virtually every single player in baseball get placed on waivers?

There is literally no reason to not put every guy on your team on waivers. These so and so guys placed on waiver stories are just weird. Like it's one thing if they clear through waivers I suppose but Wandy Rodriguez being placed on waivers is hardly news.

No. Not everyone is put on waivers.

Myers and Rodriguez are noteworthy because of the money they are still owed.

cashman

Banned
The_Inquisitor said:
I could give two fucks about this loss. What I am really referring to is our play-off viability.
It's just SSS bad luck right now. These guys have been part of the top 5 non closer relievers in baseball for the past 2+ years. I trust that these guys will get the job done.

Typical Angels behavior

ssimon (Pelham, NY): Best clubhouse story you couldn't tell until today?

Sam Miller: I don't really have any good clubhouse stories, partly because the Angels' clubhouse is quite dull and partly because I'm not around the clubhouse more than a couple times a homestand. So I'm going to reprint the greatest clubhouse story ever, from Matt McCarthy's book "Odd Man Out," about his year with the Angels' short-season team. (The book may or may not be true, for what it's worth.)

"An Angels employee briefly interrupted the revelry to bring us fifth leftover hot dogs from the concession stand's Weenie Wednesday promotion.

"I took my hot dog over to my locker and began to undress. That was when things got interesting. When I turned around, I saw the dark, naked bodies of two young Dominicans hovering around the hot dogs. Erick Aybar and Alberto Callaspo ... were inseparable and spoke no English -- the most one of them had ever said to me was "Why-ya-ya-ya-ya-yeah!" after I'd pitched a scoreless inning the week before.

"Gradually, more of my teammates turned to watch as Aybar's and Callaspo's naked bodies circled the food. We all knew they were up to something no good. Two naked heterosexual teenagers don't stand that close together for that long next to a box of hot dogs without something happening.

"Suddenly, Callaspo took one of the hot dogs out of its bun and deep-throated it. Then he took the bun and put it around Aybar's flaccid (etc etc) and poured ketchup on it. Jaws dropped -- Aybar was a willing participant. Then Callaspo bent over and pretended to eat the Dominican (etc etc etc) hot dog. When he did that, we all screamed, "Nooooo!"

"Getting the reaction he'd desired, Callaspo turned to a few of us and said, "I no gay. You gay" and burst into a fit of laughter. Callaspo slapped Aybar on the ass and the two laughed all the way to the shower."

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
darkside31337 said:
Barney is hitting .294 while Castro is hitting .308.

That's better than the Yankees middle infield.
Yeah but cano has quick hands and Jeter has quiet eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom