• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

The Frankman said:
Because they'll actually get money out of it. The lease to "Sun Life" absolutely crippled their earning revenue.
Sure, but that doesn't mean Florida fans will suddenly start caring about sports.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Rays win the AL East 2 out of the last 3 years and have a really good product on the field this year. Do fans show up their games? No. There simply isn't a baseball culture in the entire state of Florida. Miami is by far the worst at supporting their sports teams, they really are the definition of fairweather fans.

A new stadium is not going to save the Marlins. Nor should it. The Marlins aren't worth giving your money to. They are run by a bunch of scum who swindled money from the people of Miami by cooking the books for years. The stadium deserves to be a deserted wasteland, which is what it will be shortly after opening up anyway.

MLB should be completely embarrassed by letting the Marlins not only keep their team but actually building a new stadium there. There are literally at least half a dozen cities without a team right now on the east coast that could and would actually support a MLB team. Miami won't support the Marlins and quite frankly shouldn't support the Marlins.

I say all of this as a Floridian too.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Been catching up on older articles. I miss the old-school baseball mentality: Joe Posnanski - That Was for Duane Kuiper

Had lunch today with my hero Duane Kuiper, his brother Jeff, and a new favorite, the hilarious Mike Krukow*. What a great time. Stories. Opinions. Jokes. I wonder if they would let me be on that announcing crew just so I could follow them around for a season.

*Nicknamed “The Polish Prince” according to his Baseball Reference page. I did not know that. I should try to get Mike into the Polish Sports Hall of Fame in Troy, Michigan.

I have to share one story. There were about 40 stories I could share, and probably will. But we’ll start with one. It’s about a plunking — I’m not entirely sure why old stories about pitchers hitting batters with baseballs make me laugh. But they do.

We started talking about how pitchers can only rarely hit batters on purpose anymore because of suspensions and the way that baseball has tried to lock down on vigilante pitching, and I asked Duane if he thinks he’d ever been hit on purpose. He said that he figured he got hit on purpose a dozen times in his career, maybe a few more. This is Duane Kuiper remember, the nicest guy around, the man with one home run in his career. He remembered one in particular: He had slashed Brian Downing — by mistake, of course — and Jim Kaat hit him in the ribs.

“I knew he was going to hit me,” he said. I asked what he did. He said: “I went to first. I didn’t want him to hit me again.”

So then I asked if he had ever asked a pitcher to retaliate for him. He said he never did, but, well, there was the Jim Bibby story. Details are hard to lock down but the story is too good to hold back: The Indians were playing the Twins, and at some point Rod Carew slashed Kuiper in a double play scenario at some point during the series. Duane was furious. He told Carew, “I’m going to come down the line and slash your achilles.” Jim Bibby calmed him down.

“Don’t worry,” Bibby said. “I’ll get him for you.”

Kuiper said, “OK, fine, you get him.” Only, Bibby did not get him. He got pulled before he had a chance to get him.
If it’s the game I’m thinking, in 1977, Bibby lasted just five innings and Carew actually homered of him. Anyway, the point is Bibby didn’t get Carew that day for whatever reason, and unexpectedly that was the last time he ever faced Carew in a big league game. Bibby left Cleveland for Pittsburgh at the end of the season. So the story should be over. Kuiper basically forgot about it.

Only… one day, the Indians are facing Carew’s team, probably the Angels by then, and Carew comes over to Kuiper and says, “You little $&#$@$ …”

“What did I do?” Kuiper said.

And Carew said that he was playing an exhibition game in Japan. He stepped in against, yep, Jim Bibby. And suddenly he felt the jolt of a fastball pounding his side … this in an EXHIBITION GAME IN JAPAN.

And he said Jim Bibby flexed and said: “That was for Duane Kuiper.”

darkside31337 said:
Rays win the AL East 2 out of the last 3 years and have a really good product on the field this year. Do fans show up their games? No. There simply isn't a baseball culture in the entire state of Florida. Miami is by far the worst at supporting their sports teams, they really are the definition of fairweather fans.

A new stadium is not going to save the Marlins. Nor should it. The Marlins aren't worth giving your money to. They are run by a bunch of scum who swindled money from the people of Miami by cooking the books for years. The stadium deserves to be a deserted wasteland, which is what it will be shortly after opening up anyway.

MLB should be completely embarrassed by letting the Marlins not only keep their team but actually building a new stadium there. There are literally at least half a dozen cities without a team right now on the east coast that could and would actually support a MLB team. Miami won't support the Marlins and quite frankly shouldn't support the Marlins.

Loria is a fucking asshole and desrves to turn into the Swamp Thing. He swindled bud selig, murdered the Expos and cheated taxpayers and the idiots of miami's political systems. Bud Selig needs to bring back the fuckin' Expos. Southern expansion is a failure.

darkside31337 said:

Tell me how you really feel.

I'm not saying the owner is smart or the fans are loyal, however the lease destroyed earning potential to the point where they hardly made money after winning a WS. Their own stadium is a step in the right direction and towards rebuilding the fanbase by keeping guys like Mike Stanton. Now the onus is on management.

P.S. - Hanley can go to Hell though.

Sanjuro

Yankees going to LA would just make too much sense.

Dodgers going to Brooklyn would as well. Get the Islanders and whatever they are going to call the Nets there, you got yourselves some game son.

The hurricane is about to royally fuck up the baseball season. Numerous games will be called off and the aftermath will probably disrupt things as well. Gonna be tricky to try and get everything rescheduled this late in the year.

bigtroyjon said:
The hurricane is about to royally fuck up the baseball season. Numerous games will be called off and the aftermath will probably disrupt things as well. Gonna be tricky to try and get everything rescheduled this late in the year.
damn, some teams trying to play some doubleheaders before this thing hits. So its certain that it hits the East Coast.

Sanjuro

bigtroyjon said:
Hurricane Helms?

The Frankman said:
Only if the Yankees go to L.A. and complete the cycle of going truly Hollywood.

The Yankees have been Hollywood before there even was a Hollywood.

The Yankees are New York.
The Yankees are baseball.

dealwithit.gif, and all that.

Yankees, Mets, Dodgers. New York Baseball should be like this.
Angels, Giants, Padres. California Baseball should be like this.
Tampa Bay Rays. Florida Baseball should be like this.

DFA SELIG

Sanjuro

captmcblack said:
The Yankees have been Hollywood before there even was a Hollywood.

The Yankees are New York.
The Yankees are baseball.

dealwithit.gif, and all that.

Yankees, Mets, Dodgers. New York Baseball should be like this.
Angels, Giants, Padres. California Baseball should be like this.
Tampa Bay Rays. Florida Baseball should be like this.

DFA SELIG
They should go to LA just to merge the Yankee fans with their Laker brothers.

turnbuckle

So impressed with how the Tigers have played the Rays (Inge notwithstanding). Short lineup today, strained pitching staff a few days ago, and we're on the verge of taking 3-4. I'm starting to believe!

VRMN

I'll take it as the fair reversal of weirdness that was the end of last night's game. What a weird couple of games.

beast786

Lol. How did I miss this early today.

Jeremy Hellickson(notes) became the first Rays’ pitcher to strikeout four batters in the same inning, accomplishing the feat during the third. After Jackson reached base to start the inning on a third-strike wild pitch, Hellickson then struck out Ramon Santiago(notes), Delmon Young(notes) and Victor Martinez(notes).

Yankees decided to get off the deck today, it would seem.

...just like every other game this series.

I'll wait for the final result before commenting.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
tumblr_lom9uuRt3o1qcptzxo1_400.jpg

I swear to god, if Bochy benches him...

MikeTyson said:
If I'm not mistaken, Clevelanders have this delusional theory that Thome will spark a playoff run for them like Loften did in 07'.

To be fair, they aren't just acquiring him for the fuck of it. Hafner's done for the year now with his foot injury.

MikeTyson

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
To be fair, they aren't just acquiring him for the fuck of it. Hafner's done for the year now with his foot injury.
So they sign an old timer who's batting .250? Makes sense.

Shelley Duncan is more then capable of delivering the same amount of hits/rbi as Thome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom