• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judderman said:
22?! Oh my car.

med_BONUS_STAGE_CAR_10_PERFECT_BMP_jpgcopy.jpg

Sharp said:
Zimmerman, Werth and Morse all stand at the extreme edge of the batter's box when they're at-bat. It's frustrating as hell, especially since Morse is the only one who can actually reach outside pitches from there.
The funny thing is Werth never used to be that far away. He's tinkered himself right out of his comfort zone. Zimmerman at least has the leg kick to step into pitches. Morse uses his long arms/bat for some great coverage, I'm surprised at what he's been able to do.

One thing LJ11/Cajole/I noticed when Wright came back off the DL from the back issue is he is SO much closer to the plate, and he reminds me of the Pre-Citi David Wright for the first time in ages. He also eliminated alot of motion in his stance so he's already at the load position with his knees: one small leg lift, quiet hands/arms and swing.

David-Wright-Before-After-DL.jpg

LJ11

Wright messes with his stance/position a lot, more so since moving to Citi. Someone with time on their hands needs to go back and try find all of them.

He was standing closer to the plate at one point last year, most of June, and then teams just busted him inside and he went further away again and was awful July/August. At least he's stayed put since coming back from the DL.

He also mentioned not lifting weights as much, something about him jamming himself at times.

A fantastic comment on ESPN comments section:
This is one of David Wright's ongoing problems - a lack of awareness of his mechanics and what's going on in the box which makes him very prone to streakiness and inconsistency with an inability to quickly identify and make appropriate adjustments.

While Carlos Beltran has such an innate awareness of these things and was a go-to teammate in these matters, David Wright continues to be clueless and lacks leadership qualities in this regard.

In general David Wright has habit of non-reality and denial about details, a habit of not being willing to admit the obvious.
Dunno about the leadership, but if I was Wright I'd be calling Beltran every week. It's amazing how Carlos knew the mechanics of a players' swing better than the player themselves. To this day Lucas Duda and Justin Turner sing his praises.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So basically all the other Mets fans in here agree with me that we really should trade Wright in the offseason right? His perceived value is probably a ton higher than his actual performance.

LJ11

darkside31337 said:
So basically all the other Mets fans in here agree with me that we really should trade Wright in the offseason right? His perceived value is probably a ton higher than his actual performance.

Well he had a great first half last season, an awful second half, a poor '09, hard to judge this season but he hasn't been that good.

I'd trade him just to get him out of that fucking park, curious to see if he could regain some of his former glory.

We could trade him for Tebow.

darkside31337 said:

Tigers call first dibs.

LJ11 said:
Well he had a great first half last season, an awful second half, a poor '09, hard to judge this season but he hasn't been that good.

I'd trade him just to get him out of that fucking park, curious to see if he could regain some of his former glory.

Tebow gives great speeches!

Sharp

I don't even know if Wright's perceived value is that high anymore, honestly. Maybe it's because of the injury and my shitty long-term memory, but it seems like most people have given up on the prospect of Wright being the 8ish WAR/year guy he looked like he was becoming a few years ago.

LJ11 said:

The good thing is it seems Sandy will definitely lower the walls to 8 feet. Not sure about the distances yet though.
Square Triangle said:
Tigers call first dibs.
I hear good things about Brandon Inge.

beast786

Square Triangle said:
I'm just glad Leyland came out and said Inge fucked up the other night as opposed to "protecting his players decisions".

Get used to seeing him in late innings when games are on line. You know it will bite us. Just dont know when.

Giants lose again, 3-1 to the Astros. They are now 8-18 in their last 26 games. They fall 3.0 back of the Diamondbacks in the NL West and 9.5 back of the Braves in the NL Wild Card.

Good thing the Rangers started sucking and the Angels started streaking or this may have been the most boring September in recent memory.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
2010 standings as of August 25th

Braves led the east by 2.5 games (Phillies won by 6 games)
Padres led the west by 6.5 games (Giants won by 2 games)
Phillies and Giants were tied for the Wild Card, Cardinals were 1 game back. Rockies 4. (Braves won by 1 game over the Padres)

Yankees and Tampa were tied for the east (Rays won by 1 game)
Twins led the central by 3.5 (Twins won by 6 games)
Rangers led the west by 8.5 (Rangers won by 9 games)

although i think a lot of the races are over, a lot can happen in a month. Also, right now i believe teams have played about 5 more games than this time last year.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/index.jsp?ymd=20101003#20100825

Windu

CajoleJuice said:
It's funny how TIM LINCECUM is flying under the Cy Young discussion radar.
All three of the Giants starters (Lincecum, Bum, Cain) are flying under the radar it seems. They have been almost as good as the Phillies three.

Windu said:
All three of the Giants starters (Lincecum, Bum, Cain) are flying under the radar it seems. They have been almost as good as the Phillies three.
Not by ERA, though, so it's not surprising. But Lincecum has the lowest in the league. (Fuck Cueto, he doesn't count) And then Vogelsong is after Lincecum...

Imagine if the Giants had an offense.

darkside31337 said:
None of them have been as good as Doc.

Clayton Kershaw is the real unheralded guy, a better argument for him than anybody but Halladay.
Oh yeah, I agree. Once again I'm just trying to put myself in the shoes of the MSM. I should stop doing that or I'll be infected.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
darkside31337 said:
None of them have been as good as Doc.

Clayton Kershaw is the real unheralded guy, a better argument for him than anybody but Halladay.
I hope the vote gets split among phillies dudes or something lol.
I remember that with the Cardinals pitchers :D

Windu

if someone votes somebody other than roy halladay for the NL CY Young I will hire someone to go to their house and punch them in the face. (there really needs to be a service like this)

Windu said:
if someone votes somebody other than roy halladay for the NL CY Young I will hire someone to go to their house and punch them in the face. (there really needs to be a service like this)

Somebody vote for Kimbrel then...lol

j/k

Windu

speaking of relievers winning the CY, anyone think Kimbrel can match Eric Gagne's 4.5 fWAR in 2003? he is currently at 3.1. I assume Gagne holds the record. Probably won't reach it but it will be fun to watch i guess.

edit:

Gagne

82.1 IP
1.20 ERA
1.05 SIERA
14.98 K/9
6.85 K/BB

Kimbrel

63.2 IP
1.70 ERA
1.45 SIERA
14.56 K/9
4.12 K/BB

goddamn, Gagne was unbelievable that year.

Windu said:
speaking of relievers winning the CY, anyone think Kimbrel can match Eric Gagne's 4.5 fWAR in 2003? he is currently at 3.1. I assume Gagne holds the record. Probably won't reach it but it will be fun to watch i guess.

edit:

Gagne

82.1 IP
1.20 ERA
1.05 SIERA
14.98 K/9
6.85 K/BB

Kimbrel

63.2 IP
1.70 ERA
1.45 SIERA
14.56 K/9
4.12 K/BB

goddamn, Gagne was unbelievable that year.

He had a awesome run unitl Chad Tracy ruined it the next year(I was at that game). He wasnt the same after that..:(

Windu

First Baseman Scoops

http://www.billjamesonline.com/first_baseman_scoops/
http://www.insidethebook.com/ee/ind...and_so_save_at_first_base_by_virtue_of_his_s/

about 1-2 runs per year saved, not much.
darkside31337 said:
ah ok. I also see that Rivera had a 4.4 fWAR year in 96, but sutter and rivera both had about 20 more innings that year than Gagne which makes Gagne's year a lot more impressive.

Halladay and Kershaw will finish in the top two for NL Cy Young voting. It may not be in that order, however. Kershaw has elevated it to another level. Too bad he's stuck out west. Philly gets all the press, so Halladay will get his third award, I imagine.

ConradCervantes said:
Halladay and Kershaw will finish in the top two for NL Cy Young voting. It may not be in that order, however. Kershaw has elevated it to another level. Too bad he's stuck out west. Philly gets all the press, so Halladay will get his third award, I imagine.

Philly is gonna get all the press with that impressive record. Brewers getting some mad love too with their impressive home record and Prince first to 100 RBI's.

Kersh might do some damage in September with the schedule the Dodgers have..

Sharp

1-2 runs per year? But that would mean that our current defensive metrics really do tell us most of what we need to know about first base defense, and that would contradict all the announcers who talk about how underrated a 1B's ability to "pick it" is!

Windu said:

It's probably one of those off-the-menu options for hitmen.

Doytch

Honestly fWAR for pitchers is retarded. The pitcher stranded those runners. He did generate that BABIP/whatever. It's not predictive, but it happened. Using FIP is the ultimate cop-out. Either use SIERA or ERA.

--

Trading for Wright is the kind of thing I could see AA doing. Deal could probably include Snider/Thames/Lind so you could move Lawrie to LF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom