• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doytch

yankeehater said:
Whats wrong with that? Cy Young is for best pitcher, and MVP is for the player who is most valuable to his team. MVP almost always goes to a player on a contending team, whereas many CY Youngs have gone to pitchers with bad teams.
One of the arguments idiots trot out is that playing on a contender is more stressful or difficult. So, transitively, a good pitcher on a shitty team shouldn't win a Cy because it's easy for him to be good.

Typing that out seemed so incredibly ludicrous, I can't believe people believe it.

That is nuts, I would think winning games with a bad team around you would be way more stressful because you know going in you wont be getting a lot of run support most games. I think Carlton's 27 wins in 1972 for a team that only won 59 is amazing, I cant imagine someone saying it was easier for him to win with dreck like that around him.

eznark said:
Anyone read Heyman's tortured article yesterday about post-season awards. He spends a paragraph talking about how Kemp is essentially ineligible for the MVP because his team is not in playoff contention...then gives Kershaw the Cy Young.

Get fucked.
He also called Ryan Braun a "terrific all-around player." :jakncoke

ToxicAdam

How great are all these inter-division series this late in the season? The Indians still have 14 games against the White Sox/Tigers this month.

It's one of the key things that will go away if baseball decides to blow up the divisions and just have two leagues. That's why I am against it.

eznark

Banned
CajoleJuice said:
He also called Ryan Braun a "terrific all-around player." :jakncoke

If Braun were even a replacement level defender......sigh. -8.5 in the field and still sporting a 6.1 WAR? Goddamn

yankeehater said:
So the Phils are going to lose all 6 games in hand? Seems likely.
"not outside the realm of possibility" does not equal "likely." Irene has made it more possible though. 33 games in 30 days or something? 10 games against the Brewers and the Braves?

Do I like the Brewers chances of catching them? Not at all. Will I be floored if they do? Not at all.

Braves lineup tonight. Fredi swapped Chipper and Freeman. Constanza's ankle is still giving him issues.

1. Bourn - CF
2. Prado - LF
3. McCann - C
4. Uggla - 2B
5. Jones - 3B
6. Freeman - 1B
7. Gonzalez - SS
8. Heyward - RF
9. Jurrjens - P

Meier

I think anyone with half a brain knows the MVP this season is Matt Kemp and the Cy Young is Clayton Kershaw. Kemp is a longshot due to the ridiculous you have to be in 1st place rule by Clay should be considered the frontrunner at this point IMO.

If the Dodgers can stay hot and finish over .500 at a bare minimum, it obviously will help Kemp's chances a little bit.

turnbuckle

ToxicAdam said:
How great are all these inter-division series this late in the season? The Indians still have 14 games against the White Sox/Tigers this month.

It's one of the key things that will go away if baseball decides to blow up the divisions and just have two leagues. That's why I am against it.

It definitely ups the odds of having the last stretch of the season see some comebacks. The Tigers' position is almost a mirror of 2009 and knowing we have several more games with the Indians and Sox makes me nervous.

Indians just optioned Matt LaPorta to AAA. I know he's having a disappointing season, but it seems weird considering the rosters are expanding in two days.

eznark

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
Indians just optioned Matt LaPorta to AAA. I know he's having a disappointing season, but it seems weird considering the rosters are expanding in two days.
Wow, not eligible for postseason roster when the Indians surge, either.

Meier

AnEternalEnigma said:
Love seeing a Gator fail.

eznark said:
Wow, not eligible for postseason roster when the Indians surge, either.

Yes he is. He's still on their 40-man roster. The rule is anyone who hasn't been on your 40-man roster all season before September 1 is ineligible for the playoffs unless they are replacing someone who's injured.

eznark

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
Yes he is. He's still on their 40-man roster. The rule is anyone who hasn't been on your 40-man roster all season before September 1 is ineligible for the playoffs unless they are replacing someone who's injured.

Ah, I thought it was the active roster unless replacing an injury. Regardless, I hope this seasons escapades in "mortgaging the future" work out like it did with LaPorta for the Crew.

McNei1y

Looks like the nats are going with the double 1B, no LF lineup tonight:

Ian Desmond, SS
Rick Ankiel, CF
Ryan Zimmerman, 3B
Michael Morse, 1B
Laynce Nix, RF
Danny Espinosa, 2B
Chris Marrero, 1B
Wilson Ramos, C
Livan Hernande

With Jordan Zimmermann being shut down, the Nats are calling up Tom Millone to take his spot, starting Saturday. He's got like a 85ish fastball and he averages 8-9ks.

McNei1y said:
Looks like the nats are going with the double 1B, no LF lineup tonight:

Ian Desmond, SS
Rick Ankiel, CF
Ryan Zimmerman, 3B
Michael Morse, 1B
Laynce Nix, RF
Danny Espinosa, 2B
Chris Marrero, 1B
Wilson Ramos, C
Livan Hernande

With Jordan Zimmermann being shut down, the Nats are calling up Tom Millone to take his spot, starting Saturday. He's got like a 85ish fastball and he averages 8-9ks.
Just looked him up in the Baseball America Prospect Handbook I got from Borders. All books and Blurays are 50% off rite now. Says he has a funky rotation and likes to change speeds. And nice to hear Strasburg is coming back Sept. 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom