• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Frankman said:
2v8mud1.jpg

Reyes will bring being thrilling and exciting back today.
Frankman wanted to ask you, for The Show, do you use the sliders from TNk in Operation Sports?

eznark

Banned
Don't the Mets at least have a rookie who is marginally effective that you could be a fan of, Frank? Or some minority prospect that you could irrationally love?

Lets be logical now, these are his stats:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/30139/dillon-gee

11-5, 4.37 ERA. If he wins out (5-6 wins) and keeps the ERA around 3 over those starts, you don't think he'd be in the hunt? As unrealistic as it would be with the current team/him battling fatigue, he HAS had that streak before. And you know how dumb the voters are with rookie relievers vs. starters.
Dmncnby2k9 said:
Frankman wanted to ask you, for The Show, do you use the sliders from TNk in Operation Sports?
Don't use them, I don't like how the computer isn't penalized under his sliders, not to mention some sliders seem ... weird. I made a new set for HoF that is more realistic based off of his set and the BobHead's Sliders. You can actually K the CPU now and people don't hit 5 HR's a game. Also you can draw walks if you're patient.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
No I wouldn't because he'd still be way behind whatever numbers Vance Worley puts up who is the only SP with any kind of shot of winning it.

darkside31337 said:
No I wouldn't because he'd still be way behind whatever numbers Vance Worley puts up who is the only SP with any kind of shot of winning it.
I fail to see how Vance Worley doesn't get penalized a bit for being on the Phillies. In the past voters have looked on the teams the rookie was playing on. If Gee didn't have those 2-3 meltdown losses that jacked up his ERA he's have the advantage ERA-wise.

The advantage Kimbrel has is he plays a position that he doesn't really gain an "negative" advantage, and with him closing games for a team in the race he enhancers the shine on him.

darkside31337 said:
No thanks.

Unless you mean spot on the bench then sure.
Well Mets have said he'd have to hit like gangbusters to do that. It's interesting because he's a big guy with power that isn't constrained by Citi, yet he's managed to drastically improve his plate discipline and bat control. He's much more mature in his approach since his debut last year and doesn't flail at breaking balls outside of the zone much anymore.

He's coming up on .300 and remember he started out his first month hitting below the Mendoza line. I like how he compromised his power swing in order to improve his contact rate, since anything he hits should travel anyway (hail Beltran!).

EDIT: Jason Isringhausen struck out the side on my GameCast. Must be broken.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Frankman said:
Well Mets have said he'd have to hit like gangbusters to do that. It's interesting because he's a big guy with power that isn't constrained by Citi, yet he's managed to drastically improve his plate discipline and bat control. He's much more mature in his approach since his debut last year and doesn't flail at breaking balls outside of the zone much anymore.

He's coming up on .300 and remember he started out his first month hitting below the Mendoza line. I like how he compromised his power swing in order to improve his contact rate, since anything he hits should travel anyway.

EDIT: Jason Isringhausen struck out the side on my GameCast. Must be broken.

Yeah don't get me wrong I like Duda as a backup 1B / OF / PH type. His defense just isn't good enough to make it everyday as a corner OF unless he at least keeps hitting the way is right now which is kind of hard to expect. He might be passable given no alternatives, but the fact that Jason Bay is in LF sadly limits his opportunity. It'll be hard for him to crack the roster this way though given those defensive limitations.

darkside31337 said:
Yeah don't get me wrong I like Duda as a backup 1B / OF / PH type. His defense just isn't good enough to make it everyday as a corner OF unless he at least keeps hitting the way is right now which is kind of hard to expect. He might be passable given no alternatives, but the fact that Jason Bay is in LF sadly limits his opportunity. It'll be hard for him to crack the roster this way though given those defensive limitations.
Mets trade Bay for a bad pitching contract like Jake Peavy. Yea or Nay?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Frankman said:
Mets trade Bay for a bad pitching contract like Jake Peavy. Yea or Nay?

If we could trade Bay for any player that's basically roughly comparable money how could we say no? I basically can't think of anyone else I wouldn't rather have than Bay. Peavy's stuff is still pretty good although obviously he's not very durable.

darkside31337 said:
If we could trade Bay for any player that's basically roughly comparable money how could we say no? I basically can't think of anyone else I wouldn't rather have than Bay. Peavy's stuff is still pretty good although obviously he's not very durable.
Barry Zito says hi.

EDIT: Bobby Parnell. So much talent yet so hittable.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Frankman said:
Barry Zito says hi.

Mets owe Jason Bay 35 million (16 + 16 + 3 buyout) compared to Zito who is still on the tab for 46 (19 + 20 + 7 buyout), but otherwise yeah you're right I'd rather have Bay.

SuperMalo said:
Why would either team do that?
The writer said its a change of scenery trade. Both have about the same money owed but then I read at Amazin Avenue that Bay has a vesting option for 2014 that is a virtual lock to vest. So Bay has extra year. He said it would help Burnett to go to the National League and pitcher friendly Citi Field and Jason Bay to AL East.

Malo

Banned
Dmncnby2k9 said:
The writer said its a change of scenery trade. Both have about the same money owed but then I read at Amazin Avenue that Bay has a vesting option for 2014 that is a virtual lock to vest. So Bay has extra year. He said it would help Burnett to go to the National League and pitcher friendly Citi Field and Jason Bay to AL East.
A change of scenery might help both but where would bay play? He's not playing the outfield and supposedly the yankees want to keep the dh spot open in the future for some of their older players. Also hell no, especially since that option has a chance of vesting lol.

SuperMalo said:
A change of scenery might help both but where would bay play? He's not playing the outfield and supposedly the yankees want to keep the dh spot open in the future for some of their older players. Also hell no, especially since that option has a chance of vesting lol.
Minaya was the King of Vesting Options.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
OK I just got back home from school. Why the fuck are the Mets wearing their blue batting practice jerseys with black caps? Talk about a fugly combination.

eznark said:
They've scored 3+ runs in 17 of his 21 starts. They've scored 6+ in 8 of em.
Post Beltran I mean.
richiek said:
OK I just got back home from school. Why the fuck are the Mets wearing their blue batting practice jerseys with black caps? Talk about a fugly combination.
What? I'm in Philly and can't watch the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom