• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddles

Banned
Where the heck was this Dodgers team at the beginning of the season?

And why the fuck do we have a guy with an OBP under .300 in the leadoff spot? Some of these managers really overvalue speed. What good is it to have a rabbit on the basepaths when that rabbit makes an out 73% of the time?

Puddles said:
Where the heck was this Dodgers team at the beginning of the season?

And why the fuck do we have a guy with an OBP under .300 in the leadoff spot? Some of these managers really overvalue speed. What good is it to have a rabbit on the basepaths when that rabbit makes an out 73% of the time?

Because they traded their leadoff man(Furcal). I dont consider Miles a leadoff man. Plus is avg for RISP is up there.

Puddles

Banned
I really hope that investor group buys the fuck out of the Dodgers.

We have the best SP in the NL and the best position player in the NL as well. Kuroda, assuming he doesn't fall off an age cliff, is a great #2. Ethier is decent enough. We need a leadoff guy and one more SP to at least be a >.500 team.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Corran Horn said:
Wee....just need to win this and many more.

Nice to see something besides a solo homerun.
there are like 6 games between the two left right? I'd say the giants have to win 5 of them to have a chance. (winning 5 would put them 2 back)

rc213

Puddles said:
I really hope that investor group buys the fuck out of the Dodgers.

We have the best SP in the NL and the best position player in the NL as well. Kuroda, assuming he doesn't fall off an age cliff, is a great #2. Ethier is decent enough. We need a leadoff guy and one more SP to at least be a >.500 team.
Kuroda has let the Dodgers know this was his last year I believe. McCheap is too stupid to sell, He will fight MLB til the bitter end.

Sharp

lol @ Prince being the example they used, good thing they didn't check his WAR or think about defense or learn about positional adjustments or anything.

Also what drugs are Larkin on.

Edit:
BHarper3407 Bryce Harper
Just crushed some Benihana sushi! So good! Hiro is a great sushi maker! Oh and he likes the Yankees! #legit
Hey Bryce you dick at least try to pretend like you're happy to be playing here or we will turn you back into a catcher and make you suffer like Mauer.

Puddles

Banned
How is Halladay's WAR so high when his pitching numbers aren't better than Kershaw's (except for walks) and he has two fewer innings pitched?

Sharp

Puddles said:
How is Halladay's WAR so high when his pitching numbers aren't better than Kershaw's (except for walks) and he has two fewer innings pitched?
Because "except for walks" (and HRs incidentally) is the difference between a bad pitcher and Greg Maddux.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
park adjustments as well

edit: not to mention the .40 difference in FIP. (how long will it take for fangraphs to change to SIERA?)

eznark

Banned
Windu said:
park adjustments as well

edit: not to mention the .40 difference in FIP. (how long will it take for fangraphs to change to SIERA?)

Hopefully soon so I can make a case for MVP Greinke.

Malo

Banned
Sharp said:
Edit:
Hey Bryce you dick at least try to pretend like you're happy to be playing here or we will turn you back into a catcher and make you suffer like Mauer.
Future yankee ™

rc213 said:
Kuroda has let the Dodgers know this was his last year I believe. McCheap is too stupid to sell, He will fight MLB til the bitter end.

I was watching the news right now and they he might reconsider..Or I may heard it wrong

Just got back in. Pretty bad Braves loss, but Vizcaino was due for a bad outing sometime. Good that he got it out of his system now. Fredi said after the game he wasn't planning to use Venters or Kimbrel in this one (he said O'Flaherty would have closed), so that's why the leash on Vizcaino was so long.

I can live with that. Let's just not make a habit out of it. It's going to be hard to win the series with Kershaw going on Sunday. Maybe Delgado can no-hit them for six innings too. Oh well, the Cardinals lost so the magic number is down to 17.

Peter Moylan needs to get his Aussie ass back ASAP, though.

Windu said:
park adjustments as well

I think the park adjustments alone make the case for Halladay.

ERA+
Halladay: 157
Kershaw: 151

Plus, Halladay has only let up 3 unearned runs, while Kershaw has let up 5. So even Baseball-Reference WAR has Halladay way ahead. (6.4 to 5.5). No need to even get into FIP to show Halladay is the best. (Of course, it shows just HOW much better he is. I mean Jesus Christ, 2.10 FIP)

The first comment on that ESPN video is indicative of the B-Ref WAR and FG WAR issue:
JetSetK-Dub said:
What is bogus is that Bill Simmons just wrote an article which stated Justin Verlander's WAR was 7.3 and his name is no where mentioned in this video. ESPN clearly doesn't want JV to get this MVP.
The video used Fangraphs (without citation I guess because they have an agreement with them), while Simmons used B-Ref in his Grantland article. I wouldn't recommend reading it, though. I remember why I haven't read his stuff in years. Not sure you could fit more retarded movie references and analogies into a piece.

A blog/website for GAF sports fans.

Hi guys,

I'm looking for writers for a blog dedicated to various major sports and I'd very much like the MLB to be covered. If you're an avid fan who is up to date with the latest news, rumours and has some opinions they'd like to share about their favourite team or league, then PM me or respond to this. I'm looking for a number of articulate writers who can offer in depth articles/opinion pieces. We're not looking for sports journalists but rather fans.

Anyone interested?

Sharp

Windu said:
park adjustments as well

Probably never, the reason they use FIP for WAR calculations is because they want to totally divorce the defense from the pitching so they can assign defensive runs saved to the fielders. SIERA tells us Greinke should be godlike next year though.

eznark

Banned
Sharp said:
Probably never, the reason they use FIP for WAR calculations is because they want to totally divorce the defense from the pitching so they can assign defensive runs saved to the fielders. SIERA tells us Greinke should be godlike next year though.

Especially if he stays in the NL Central (for the full year)

Sharp said:
I'm just waiting for Morrow to have the year Shields is having this year.

MC Safety

The Mets recently announced the players they received for Francisco Rodriguez.

Is the consensus that the Mets got good players or bums?

hemtae

MC Safety said:

With the way eznark was laughing about it, I'm going to say bums.

eznark

Banned
MC Safety said:

Proven bum and a 20 year old A-baller who projects as a middle reliever if anything. If you watched yesterday, you saw DRH. He pitched well but he is awful. His screwball can be fun though.

Rosario is a weird case. He has not been terribly effective, does not have a huge upside but for some unknown reason the Orioles wasted a Rule 5 pick on him. Obviously he was sent back to the Brewers. It was mind-boggling at the time and remains so now. But at least it shows that some other team was also interested in him at one point.

Mets are going to try and get cheap lefties at any cost + I guess they liked this kid. Bottom line the deal was about getting out from under the contract but I'd think they would've liked to get more. Guessing no 2nd baseman were on the list.

eznark

Banned
The Frankman said:
Mets are going to try and get cheap lefties at any cost + I guess they liked this kid. Bottom line the deal was about getting out from under the contract but I'd think they would've liked to get more. Guessing no 2nd baseman were on the list.

The Brewers signed Felipe Lopez and immediately put him on the MLB roster when Weeks went down. The Brewers have no second basemen.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
clemenx said:
Is it me or Colon has gotten fatter during the season.

Well he gets fatter every day of the year so this would hardly be shocking. Hanging out with CC has obviously not done wonders for his health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom