• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hemtae said:
Lakers fans and Yankees fans, finally together

All across middle America, those have been the same species for many years. They used to like the Cowboys, too, but now prefer the Patriots. They'd also be Manchester United fans if they didn't hate soccer.

Duane Cunningham said:
All across middle America, those have been the same species for many years. They used to like the Cowboys, too, but now prefer the Patriots. They'd also be Manchester United fans if they didn't hate soccer.

Can't help it that when I was born I was wrapped in purple and gold and that Magic Johnson was the one who cut my cord. I didn't ask to be born into greatness, it was thrust upon me. Unfortunately for me, the greatness of the Dodgers was destroyed once O'Malley handed the keys to Murdoch :(

ClovingSteam said:
Can't help it that when I was born I was wrapped in purple and gold and that Magic Johnson was the one who cut my cord. I didn't ask to be born into greatness, it was thrust upon me. Unfortunately for me, the greatness of the Dodgers was destroyed once O'Malley handed the keys to Murdoch :(

So true. u hit it right on the spot

Also I miss Showtime

Duane Cunningham said:

I hate the Lakers.
I hate the Cowboys.
I hate the Cheatriots.
I hate Man U, especially now that the Red Sox are affiliated with them.

Knicks, Jets, Red Bulls/USA Soccer/Everton.

sf2fanatic said:
So true. u hit it right on the spot

Also I miss Showtime

Man, I remember rooting for Mike Marshall, Pedro Guerrero, even John Shelby with Kirk Gibson. They didn't always win but man they made it entertaining. Then with Karros, Piazza, Mondesi, and Nomo. And then the wheels fell off with trading Piazza to Miami and Rupert taking the throne. It's never been the same since.

ClovingSteam said:
Man, I remember rooting for Mike Marshall, Pedro Guerrero, even John Shelby with Kirk Gibson. They didn't always win but man they made it entertaining. Then with Karros, Piazza, Mondesi, and Nomo. And then the wheels fell off with trading Piazza to Miami and Rupert taking the throne. It's never been the same since.

That 88 team Dave Anderson, Jeff Hamilton, Mickey Hatcher,etc unknowns

I think when signing Dreifort started the disaster too. Also they getting Shaw and Schmidt.lol

captmcblack said:
I hate the Lakers.
I hate the Cowboys.
I hate the Cheatriots.

Poor capt.
lol@Knicks

sf2fanatic said:
I think when signing Dreifort started the disaster too. Also they getting Shaw and Schmidt.lol

Poor capt.
lol@Knicks

Yea, those weren't great :(

What separated the Dodgers was their fantastic farm system. In the last decade they just try to overcompensate by overspending and it just doesn't work. They're not the Yankees or the RedSox.

The Dodgers fucked up by getting away from the importance of pitching. They have 1.5 good pitchers in the entirety of the team.

Forget that their non-Kemp hitters mostly suck and have all aged simultaneously. Forget that they were destroyed financially by their ownership. The real problem is that they basically can only hope to win 1 game every 5 games - the one that Kershaw pitches.

captmcblack said:
The Dodgers fucked up by getting away from the importance of pitching. They have 1.5 good pitchers in the entirety of the team.

Forget that their non-Kemp hitters mostly suck and have all aged simultaneously. Forget that they were destroyed financially by their ownership. The real problem is that they basically can only hope to win 1 game every 5 games - the one that Kershaw pitches.

Yep. They use to focus on pitching and let the hitting fall where it may, though they did consistently have some nice offensive pieces. Pitching wins and yet these franchises CONSISTENTLY spend so much for offensive players that don't bring you the amount of wins that the top pitchers do.

hemtae

captmcblack said:
I hate the Lakers.
I hate the Cowboys.
I hate the Cheatriots.

Wait, how is Man U affiliated with the Red Sox now? I'm pretty sure we're affiliated Liverpool.

ClovingSteam said:
No sir. I decided to follow MJ and take my talents to the MLB.
62Pul.gif

hemtae said:
Wait, how is Man U affiliated with the Red Sox now? I'm pretty sure we're affiliated Liverpool.

Whatever, I still hate Man U.
As a fan of Everton FC, you already know I have preexisting beef w/Liverpool though.

hemtae

captmcblack said:
Whatever, I still hate Man U.
As a fan of Everton FC, you already know I have preexisting beef w/Liverpool though.

ugh, Yankee fans. Can't even do a soccer rivalry right

Sanjuro

Laker and Yankee fans are one in the same. They know they could mug one another, scoring a stupid fucking cap with an unbent brim and a sticker.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Laker and Yankee fans are one in the same. They know they could mug one another, scoring a stupid fucking cap with an unbent brim and a sticker.

Coming from a Boston fan of all people that is hilarious and ironic.

Sanjuro

ClovingSteam said:
Coming from a Boston fan of all people that is hilarious and ironic.
No, it really isn't either of those things. Go ahead though. Live up to that pink-hat stereotype of Yankees-Lakers. I'm not stopping you.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
No, it really isn't either of those things. Go ahead though. Live up to that pink-hat stereotype of Yankees-Lakers. I'm not stopping you.

lol wut? It's quite funny and ironic indeed. Yea because there's no such thing as bandwagon Red Sox, Celtics, and Patriot fans. MMMMMMkay.

Sanjuro

ClovingSteam said:
lol wut? It's quite funny and ironic indeed. Yea because there's no such thing as bandwagon Red Sox, Celtics, and Patriot fans. MMMMMMkay.
LOLWUT

I think you are missing the point. Every team has a bandwagon small or large. The point is the two teams I mentioned are a fashion statement/bandwagon/actor.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
LOLWUT

I think you are missing the point. Every team has a bandwagon small or large. The point is the two teams I mentioned are a fashion statement/bandwagon/actor.

Patriots aren't a fashion statement? I can't tell you how many Red Sox jersey's I saw being worn since 2004 from people you know weren't fans beforehand.

Sanjuro

ClovingSteam said:
Patriots aren't a fashion statement? I can't tell you how many Red Sox jersey's I saw being worn since 2004 from people you know weren't fans beforehand.
You are trying to tell me that Patriots caps are in the same ballpark as the amount of people wearing Laker/Yankee variations?

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
You are trying to tell me that Patriots caps are in the same ballpark as the amount of people wearing Laker/Yankee variations?

So thats the measurement now? How many hats one franchise sells? Well I guess those Kansas City Royals would argue that since the Red Sox merchandise sell so much better than the Royals the Red Sox are a fashion statement as well.

Sanjuro

ClovingSteam said:
So thats the measurement now? How many hats one franchise sells? Well I guess those Kansas City Royals would argue that since the Red Sox merchandise sell so much better than the Royals the Red Sox are a fashion statement as well.
No, because people in Kansas City would frequently see more Yankees caps. I still think you are missing the point. Possibly just trolling.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
No, because people in Kansas City would frequently see more Yankees caps. I still think you are missing the point. Possibly just trolling.

They would see more Yankee caps but that doesn't change that in comparison to Royal memorabilia the Red Sox are in a different stratosphere.

h3ro

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
LOLWUT

You're still salty about Brady rocking a Yankees fitted, aren't you.

Also, there is some Street Fighter X Tekken shit going on in here. KNICKS-AGE, ASSEMBLE!

Sanjuro

ClovingSteam said:
They would see more Yankee caps but that doesn't change that in comparison to Royal memorabilia the Red Sox are in a different stratosphere.
Sure. What does that have to do with my original point?

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Sure. What does that have to do with my original point?

You're arguing that based on some sales figures that Lakers/Yankees are some type of fashion statement when in reality the Red Sox/Patriots are right up there in the same category.

Sanjuro

h3ro said:
You're still salty about Brady rocking a Yankees fitted, aren't you.

Also, there is some Street Fighter X Tekken shit going on in here. KNICKS-AGE, ASSEMBLE!
I was never salty about that. Why would I be?

ClovingSteam said:
You're arguing that based on some sales figures that Lakers/Yankees are some type of fashion statement when in reality the Red Sox/Patriots are right up there in the same category.
...I didn't base any of it on sales figures.

h3ro

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

I dunno. Just sayin'.

The Yankees are popular, of course their merchandise is gonna sell and be seen everywhere. I don't see why that's a bad thing. Bandwagon jumpers are annoying no matter what team they root for.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

...I didn't base any of it on sales figures.

Well unless these folks are doing like the folks in 3-Amigos and stiching up their own hats, then yes, sales figures is related to your point. You said
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

I.E. Patriots memorabilia sells less than Lakers/Yankees.

Sanjuro

h3ro said:
I dunno. Just sayin'.

The Yankees are popular, of course their merchandise is gonna sell and be seen everywhere. I don't see why that's a bad thing. Bandwagon jumpers are annoying no matter what team they root for.
That's fine. I just don't like the Yankee-Laker fan mashup, they make no sense.

h3ro

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
That's fine. I just don't like the Yankee-Laker fan mashup, they make no sense.

Me either. Unless one of their parents is from NY and the other from LA.

My friend's older brother was born and raised here in NY but married a girl from Boston and now lives there. Their kids are Yankee/Pat fans. I think that should be the exception.

Sanjuro

h3ro said:
Me either. Unless one of their parents is from NY and the other from LA.

My friend's older brother was born and raised here in NY but married a girl from Boston and now lives there. Their kids are Yankee/Pat fans. I think that should be the exception.
There are a ton of Yankee/Pats fans. Even more Red Sox/Giants fans. Those aren't too uncommon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom