• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celsior

Now need to win 2 out of 3 against the Mariners then a day off and the rest of the games for the rest of the year are on the east coast.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
Slightly off-topic but Joe Buck is so much more engaged when calling a football game, I mean it's not even arguable. How much of a dick do you have to be to phone in the cushiest job in the universe just because you're bored with the sport.
Who would replace Buck? Who are the best annoucers out there?

Sanjuro

It's much harder to call a baseball game than any other sport I would imagine. Other sports might be faster paced and require that unique skill. Balancing the dead air, developing play, and not putting the audience asleep is incredibly difficult.

Kuroyume

Banned
He sucks. That's undebatable, but can you blame him when you're paired with an even bigger retard like McCarver? I can't stand either but McCarver is on another level of stupid.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Dmncnby2k9 said:
Who would replace Buck? Who are the best annoucers out there?

Gus Johnson. He probably knows more about baseball than Buck does shrug. At least he could fake some excitement unlike Buck who couldn't bother.

jman2050 said:
Oh man if the Rays pull this off, I can't imagine what would start happening in Boston.

Forget Boston, all 15 of us Rays fans will be celebrating by rioting the streets.

Sanjuro

jman2050 said:
We'll get to that if the Yankees actually do start to blow it. Until then, no point in worrying too much.
You guys are playing just as bad if not worse when you consider the injuries. Lester is the only lone starter remaining. Lackey should be alright going forward I think...whatever that means.

jman2050

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
You guys are playing just as bad if not worse when you consider the injuries.

7-4 in September = 2-9 in September?

And what do you mean "when you consider injuries"? Yeah it sucks that the Red Sox are getting hammered by injuries to major players now, but that doesn't change that it happened and will continue to be a factor. 2008 was only three years ago, you're not gonna get any sympathy from Yankees fans cause of injury problems.

I'm not saying the Yankees are safe but it's in no way productive for me to be worrying when we're 7 games above the cutoff point. If they drop 6 in a row against Seattle and Toronto while the Rays/Angels keep winning and/or the Red Sox rebound, THEN we can start panicking.

Sanjuro

Yankees are playing better, sure. Both teams are looking terrible as of late. Not looking for sympathy. Our rotation has just been decimated. Is Hideo Nomo still available?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You guys are playing just as bad if not worse
Yankees are playing better, sure.

Gah!

btw:

from sosh (lol)

Fratboy, on 10 September 2011 - 11:29 PM, said:
I constructed this chain of thought before tonight's debacle, but here we go:

* If the Red Sox failed to make the playoffs, this would, by CoolStandings and BP, rank as the 3rd biggest collapse of all time (behind 1995 Calfornia Angels and either 2007 Mets or 1951 Dodgers depending on which method you prefer, I think). BP had them at 100% a week ago IIRC.

* The WORST 18 game stretch the Sox had played this year was at the beginning of the year, and they went 8-10. In every other 18 game stretch, they've played .500 ball.

* The BEST 19 games stretch the Rays have played this year is 14-5, which they've done on 3 occasions.

* For the Rays and Sox to even TIE, the Rays will have to play their best baseball for the remainder of the season (simply in terms of winning games, forget about pyth, SOS blah blah blah) AND the Red Sox will have to play their worst baseball. Throw in common games against the Yankees, and I just really do not see it happening. The possibility is slim, but it exists. FTR, I voted 90-94%, but the season only gets played once.

If the Sox fail to make they playoffs, by golly, they'll have EARNED it.

Sanjuro

That's why I don't go on SoSH too often. Too much cold chowdah on their hands.

I was being overly dramatical on the Yankees. Point is both teams are sucking. We are a bit more banged up at the moment. Either way. This last week has resulted in me staring at box scores of pure shit from the top two teams in the AL East.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If the Yankees/Red Sox continue to play like this, odds are the Tigers would play the Rays. You'd prefer that?

Y2Kev said:
If the Yankees/Red Sox continue to play like this, odds are the Tigers would play the Rays. You'd prefer that?
I don't think the Rays will make it despite the kings of the AL east playing poorly. However if it did happen, no. Lol.

Sanjuro

2011 World Series of Baseball

Rays vs. Diamondbacks

Tune in to a very special MLB Series Finale with special guest Matt LeBlanc.

I'm really hoping Max can get his shit together, Brad Penny is a cancer and Rick Porcello can't seem to keep his cool. Verlander and Fister are a dangerous duo, so fucking impressed by Fister since changing jerseys.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
2011 World Series of Baseball

Rays vs. Diamondbacks

Tune in to a very special MLB Series Finale with special guest Matt LeBlanc.

Imagine the records set by attendance and ratings.

hiryu2015

ah, back to baseball. i need an RBI of any sort from Starlin' Castro to advance to the next round in my fantasy playoff. it has been so close all week and it comes down to him.

dude had so many chances tonight but could only manage a bloop single after there was no one on base.

I also could have won if Strasburg went 2 more innings to earn a win. goddam pitch counts.

edit: c'mon, it's now or never (well, not really but i don't want to watch anymore)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
weekend_warrior said:
Why is crappy Cubs/Mets baseball on ESPN?

No idea but seeing Lucas Duda get intentionally walked so they could face David Wright makes me cry.

I remember the days when David Wright was an elite baseball player. Sad.

darkside31337 said:
No idea but seeing Lucas Duda get intentionally walked so they could face David Wright makes me cry.

I remember the days when David Wright was an elite baseball player. Sad.
Yeah, I died a little bit inside. Twice. When Duda was IBB'd and then Wright flied out.

Meier

KaN6m.png

Prettay prettaaayy good.

The Frankman said:
So a comment showing how a rookie pitcher has so far been more successful than Parnell makes him my boy? Step off the Parnell Defense Force.
IT WAS 3 INNINGS

(more now, but I still say the same thing about a dude who has a FIP well over 4 the past two years in the minors)

The Frankman said:
... you're not exactly helping your point. Unintentional I'm sure.
What the fuck are you even talking about? Are you referring to Parnell's minor league career? He has a career 3.61 FIP in the majors. Why are even talking about JOSH STINSON JESUS CHRIST HOW DID I LOSE 9-0 DAMN YOU MEIER

CajoleJuice said:
What the fuck are you even talking about? Are you referring to Parnell's minor league career? He has a career 3.61 FIP in the majors. Why are even talking about JOSH STINSON JESUS CHRIST HOW DID I LOSE 9-0 DAMN YOU MEIER
... ok. We'll talk more tomorrow when you're sane (hopefully) and Pedro Beato isn't getting closer chances and Parnell blows another.

I don't understand how MLB demands every player to wear #42 on Jackie Robinson Day, but they won't let the Mets wear NYFD and NYPD hats to commemorate the worst terrorist attack on American soil. Such ass backwards shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom