• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PNut

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
Giants win again and they're suddenly only 6.5 back of the Braves now with 15 left to play.

The Braves will hold on to the wild card and lose in the first playoff series.

Just the way it is.

MC Safety

Is it too early to suggest the prognosticators who suggested the Mets could win 90 games this year were, ah, overly optimistic?

Or deluded? Either way.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
AnEternalEnigma said:
Giants win again and they're suddenly only 6.5 back of the Braves now with 15 left to play.
only? 6.5 with 15 to play is a fucking huge lead.

shit if you told me in April that the braves would be up 4.5 with 15 to play I would be a happy man.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Windu said:
only? 6.5 with 15 to play is a fucking huge lead.

shit if you told me in April that the braves would be up 4.5 with 15 to play I would be a happy man.

If you told Giants fans in April that they'd be 6.5 out with 15 to play they'd be fine with that. It sounds reasonable for any new baseball fan.

MC Safety said:
Is it too early to suggest the prognosticators who suggested the Mets could win 90 games this year were, ah, overly optimistic?

Or deluded? Either way.

Also who? I thought the Mets would win 80 this year but honestly who picked them to win 90?

Sharp

eznark said:
Lunatics. Most people picked them to be below .500 far as I can remember.
If anything I'd say they've exceeded expectations this year, mostly thanks to Reyes turning in an MVP caliber year.

eznark

Banned
Yup. Overall not many teams surprised me. I think my biggest surprise is the Cardinals. On the other end it's the Twins. I think a ton of people are surprised by Arizona and while I'm surprised at how good their record is, I'm not surprised by their division lead. I'm also a little surprised the Cubs won't likely lose 92 games like I thought they would.

verbum

eznark said:
Yup. Overall not many teams surprised me. I think my biggest surprise is the Cardinals. On the other end it's the Twins. I think a ton of people are surprised by Arizona and while I'm surprised at how good their record is, I'm not surprised by their division lead. I'm also a little surprised the Cubs won't likely lose 92 games like I thought they would.

I was surprised by the Giants fade in August. They really bit the dust offensively. I could see a 1-2 week slump for them, but to have it go for so long.

And Cincinnati's non-contention this year.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
darkside31337 said:
If you told Giants fans in April that they'd be 6.5 out with 15 to play they'd be fine with that. It sounds reasonable for any new baseball fan.
no giants fan would be happy about that.

eznark

Banned
verbum said:
I was surprised by the Giants fade in August. They really bit the dust offensively. I could see a 1-2 week slump for them, but to have it go for so long.

And Cincinnati's non-contention this year.

Cincinnati is slightly worse than I thought and San Fran is slightly better. I thought they'd both be .500 teams. I actually thought the Giants pitching would be noticeably worse than they are though.

turnbuckle

I'm surprised at the Twins complete collapse, the Giants 2nd half drop, and the Tigers not having a second half downspiral. Never expected a team with Brad Penny and Rick Porcello to be able to pull off a 10 game winning streak.

I think the only way Giants fans would have accepted that scenario of being 6.5 back with 15 left to play is if you also told them that Buster Posey would have suffered a season-ending injury in May.

Braves lineup:
1. Bourn - CF
2. Jones - 3B
3. Freeman - 1B
4. Uggla - 2B
5. Diaz - RF
6. McCann - C
7. Prado - LF
8. Gonzalez - SS
9. Minor - P

Minor's the good luck charm. The Braves are 5-0 in Minor's 5 starts since being called up to replace Hanson. Minor's 4-0.

rekameohs said:
The Giants are 8.5 back with 15 to play, though. :p

They are 6.5 back of the Braves in the Wild Card. They're only 5-5 in their last 10 and still have a negative run differential for the season, but Atlanta's shitty play is opening the door wider.

jakncoke said:
If Pedro Alvarez doesn't go to winter ball he needs slapped around with a bit with a wet trout
Here's to hoping he does. Would be nice to see him play in DR for a month or two. If he doesnt hit over there then he sucks.

eznark

Banned
darkside said:

You guys all clearly missed the joke.

CajoleJuice said:
Sam Page on Amazin' Avenue predicted the Mets to win the division, but he loves trolling.

Nevermind, he said the Mets would win the WC and the Phillies would finish 4th. http://www.amazinavenue.com/2011/3/30/2079956/my-prediction-for-the-nl-east

hahahahaha

Amazing. I loved this part:

Livan Hernandez, arguably the worst player of any sport in the history of this planet and any other planet yet to be discovered, is their Opening Day starter.

So fucking true.

R.A. Dickey said on Twitter that the Mets were going to defy MLB and wear the FDNY/NYPD hats during the game anyways, but someone from MLB confiscated (read: stole) the hats during the pre-game 9/11 ceremony.

Malo

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
R.A. Dickey said on Twitter that the Mets were going to defy MLB and wear the FDNY/NYPD hats during the game anyways, but someone from MLB confiscated (read: stole) the hats during the pre-game 9/11 ceremony.
Fuck you MLB.

h3ro

AnEternalEnigma said:

wow.

Dmncnby2k9 said:
Leave the babies out of this. He can eat regular dicks. But seriously, WTF would it hurt MLB to have these guys honor these heroes on the anniversary of the day they served bravely.

The league doesnt profit off those hats though, they want people to buy the hats with the American flag on them.

turnbuckle

AnEternalEnigma said:

what the fuck

VRMN

FS Detroit reporting that Justin Verlander is on the cover of the upcoming issue of Sports Illustrated, making the case for him to be crowned AL MVP.

So, in short, he's completely screwed.

turnbuckle

VRMN said:
FS Detroit reporting that Justin Verlander is on the cover of the upcoming issue of Sports Illustrated, making the case for him to be crowned AL MVP.

So, in short, he's completely screwed.

The issue that came out just before the 2009 collapse was complete

0928_large.jpg

So, in short, we're completely screwed.

The Braves are a new level of awful with runners on base. Already 0-for-4 with RISP after just two innings.

In the third, Chipper gets a lead-off single. Freeman, Uggla, and Diaz all fly out on a total of 6 pitches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom