• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

Sharp said:
That ship sailed in the mid-nineties when Mo had TJ surgery.

Mo never had TJ surgery... They opened up his elbow but his divine ligament had already fixed itself. The procedure wasn't completed

edit:

Michael recalled being in Fort Lauderdale the night Rivera hurt his elbow in the minors in 1992, recalled taking him to see Dr. Frank Jobe, who performed surgery on Rivera's elbow in August of that year.

"People think he had the Tommy John surgery but he didn't," Michael said. "The ligament was frayed and Dr. Jobe cleaned it up. At that time, Mariano wasn't a top, top prospect. He only threw 88 to 91 but we made the decision to protect him on the 40-man roster anyway that winter.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/200..._yankees-gm-gene-michael-tommy-john-surgery/2

Playoff Odds update at the end of play on September 13:

Code:
AMERICAN LEAGUE
Tigers    -- 99.9% (no change)
Yankees   -- 99.7% (+.4%)
Red Sox   -- 93.5% (+6.8%)
Rangers   -- 88.6% (no change)
Angels    -- 12.1% (no change)
Rays      -- 6.1% (-7.1%)
Indians   -- < 0.1% (no change)
White Sox -- 0% (-.1%)

NATIONAL LEAGUE
Phillies     -- 100% (no change)
Diamondbacks -- 99.9% (+.1%)
Brewers      -- 99.7% (+.1%)
Braves       -- 95.3% (+1.4%)
Cardinals    -- 4.5% (-1.4%)
Giants       -- 0.6% (-.2%)
Dodgers      -- 0% (-.1%)
Mets         -- 0% (-.1%)

beast786

AnEternalEnigma said:
Playoff Odds update at the end of play on September 13:

Code:
AMERICAN LEAGUE
Tigers    -- 99.9% (no change)
Yankees   -- 99.7% (+.4%)
Red Sox   -- 93.5% (+6.8%)
Rangers   -- 88.6% (no change)
Angels    -- 12.1% (no change)
Rays      -- 6.1% (-7.1%)
Indians   -- < 0.1% (no change)
White Sox -- 0% (-.1%, [B]mathematically eliminated[/B])

NATIONAL LEAGUE
Phillies     -- 100% (no change)
Diamondbacks -- 99.9% (+.1%)
Brewers      -- 99.7% (+.1%)
Braves       -- 95.3% (+1.4%)
Cardinals    -- 4.5% (-1.4%)
Giants       -- 0.6% (-.2%)
Dodgers      -- 0% (-.1%, [B]mathematically eliminated[/B])
Mets         -- 0% (-.1%, [B]mathematically eliminated[/B])

How are Wsox Mathematically eliminated? There are 12.5 games behind and about 14/15 to go.

Square Triangle said:
Verlander needs to give VMart a hand job. Guy has been so clutch when Verlander has a closely pitched game.

Dude is hitting .400 w/RISP no matter who's pitching.

Best offseason FA signing by a mile.

beast786 said:
How are Wsox Mathematically eliminated? There are 12.5 games behind and about 14/15 to go.

Yeah, you're right. I misinterpreted the playoff odds going to 0.00% to mean they are mathematically eliminated.

Here's the list of mathematical eliminations at the end of play on 9/13:
-- Blue Jays, AL East
-- Reds, NL Central
-- Rockies, NL Wild Card

Brad Penny is on the mound today for Detroit, say good bye to our 11 game win streak. =(

NEOPARADIGM said:
Dude is hitting .400 w/RISP no matter who's pitching.

Best offseason FA signing by a mile.

Oh for sure I'm just saying between last night and the grand slam in Cleveland Justin needs to take him out for dinner.

turnbuckle

Square Triangle said:
Brad Penny is on the mound today for Detroit, say good bye to our 11 game win streak. =(

Oh for sure I'm just saying between last night and the grand slam in Cleveland Justin needs to take him out for dinner.
And say hello to our 12 game winning steak. Believe

eznark

Banned
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/base...uts-him-in-line-for-a-2012-rotation-spot.html

No chance for the Cubs to compete again by next year?

Not enough quality starting pitching in-house and not enough on the winter market to make up that difference?

Maybe. But the Cubs believe they might have a secret weapon lurking in the bullpen shadows to bolster their biggest problem area.

Jeff Samardzija.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

If Jeff Smardzjia is the Cubs "secret weapon" to success next year, you can definitely remove that questions mark from the first sentence.

eznark

Banned
Wow, Keith Law REALLY hated Moneyball:

Moneyball, the movie, is an absolute mess of a film, the type of muddled end product you’d expect from a project that took several years and went through multiple writers and directors. Even good performances by a cast of big names and some clever makeup work couldn’t save this movie, and if I hadnt been planning to review it, I would have walked out.

http://meadowparty.com/blog/?p=1861

Sanjuro

Basically he is mad because they don't win the World Series in the film and that they added cinematic elements to minor characters who he believes should be respected.

h3ro

916ae.jpg

turnbuckle

beast786 said:
True, who can forget the Grand Slam.

Majic Number 3 *\o/*

Magic # is 4 :p

ESPN said:
B. Verlander went to his best fastball when he needed it. With a 1-0 lead in the fourth inning, Verlander faced Gordon Beckham with the bases loaded and two out. He started him with two fastballs, clocked at 101.4 mph and 101.1 mph. After a slider out of the zone, Verlander froze Beckham with a curveball for a critical strikeout. The 101.4 mph fastball was the fastest pitch by any starter this season.

C. Verlander threw nine pitches 99 mph or higher, matching his third-most pitches that fast in a start this season. He's thrown 68 pitches of at least 99 mph this year; only two other starting pitchers have thrown even one pitch that fast.

:bow

<3

eznark

Banned
When his mask breaks, punctures his face and he pulls it out and stays in the game, let me know. Until then, he is no Mike Matheny.

RBH

5988169648_e17a0d8662.jpg

The Florida Marlins will get a chance to showcase their new stadium April 4 when their game against the St. Louis Cardinals will open the 2012 Major League Baseball season.

The Marlins, who will change their name to the Miami Marlins next season, will play the only game on the first day of the season. The team's new ballpark, which will be located in Little Havana, will have 37,000 seats, a retractable roof, and views of downtown Miami.

The Marlins said last week that construction is 80 percent complete and the park's opening is on schedule for the April 4 opener.

There will be six games on April 5: the Boston Red Sox visiting the Detroit Tigers; the Atlanta Braves at the New York Mets; the Washington Nationals at the Chicago Cubs; the Los Angeles Dodgers at the San Diego Padres; the Philadelphia Phillies at the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Toronto Blue Jays at the Cleveland Indians.

Ten games are scheduled for April 6 and will feature the opening games for 16 more teams. The first full day of 15 games is scheduled to take place April 7, a Saturday.

April 15 will be Jackie Robinson Day. The Kansas City Royals will host the 2012 All-Star Game on July 10 at Kauffman Stadium.

The regular season is slated to end, like this year, on a Wednesday -- Oct. 3.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6...baseball-season-open-florida-marlins-new-park

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
MLB seems like it wants to ruin opening day. The best thing about that day is that you wait all year for baseball and then suddenly there are 15 games on. I don't like this gradual rollout. In ten years we will probably have a game per day in the first 15 days or something.

eznark

Banned
Windu said:
MLB seems like it wants to ruin opening day. The best thing about that day is that you wait all year for baseball and then suddenly there are 15 games on. I don't like this gradual rollout. In ten years we will probably have a game per day in the first 15 days or something.

Didn't the Reds used to have the traditional Opening Day and be the only game on? I kind of like the idea of a featured kickoff game like the NFL now does. Get's everyone excited about one event.

That said, it should be a meaningful game. Maybe have one day and one night game where the four team in the CS play.

Windu said:
Yea before it was a Sunday night game if I remember correctly. Now they let teams choose when they want to play I think.

Windu

eznark said:
Didn't the Reds used to have the traditional Opening Day and be the only game on? I kind of like the idea of a featured kickoff game like the NFL now does. Get's everyone excited about one event.

That said, it should be a meaningful game. Maybe have one day and one night game where the four team in the CS play.
I think it may have been that they started their game first or something. I don't mind the kickoff game though, but I would prefer just for everyone to play at once. I do not like this new trend of having the kickoff game then a couple the next day a couple more another day and then finally the real opening day with everyone playing.

Windu

I wish I placed a few bets on Alex gonzalez the last few days. I would be a millionaire. He is like 8 for his last 9 or something.

Windu

yankeehater said:
I thought that the WS champ always opens the next year. It is so stupid to have the Marlins open the season.
No they usually just pick whoever. It seems teams with new stafiums usually get the nod and if not that then a world champion if they are in a big market and not on the west coast because of the time issue.

eznark

Banned
The Outsider said:
Seemed the general consensus here was that no one cares. I'm not a fan of either team, but I'm only a few hours from Miami, and I wouldn't mind checking out the new stadium.

These people are heathens. Opening Day for a new stadium is awesome. If you have the chance you should go.

verbum

Windu said:
I wish I placed a few bets on Alex gonzalez the last few days. I would be a millionaire. He is like 8 for his last 9 or something.

Why did they wait until the 7th to hit? That's the third pitcher in a row to hold them back until late innings.
Wait! The Braves are off a day tomorrow? So that makes it a 3 day streak of not losing. They and I need the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom